Gateshead game...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

LoidLucan
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:13 am

The pertinent word was used above... PATIENCE. It's what we need to show as supporters instead of trying to single out individual players in analysing why we haven't got six points from two games. I'm confident that we'll be moving in the right direction under AA but it's a work in progress for players, management and fans. AA has already said that it will take time and that it's a long-term plan rather than starting to form judgements after 180 minutes.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12881
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by divas » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:25 am

DarloFaithful wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:43 am
I'm something of a lapsed Darlo supporter, having only moved back to the area a few months ago. I haven't been going regularly since around 2013, so i'm toying with the idea of getting a season ticket again this year, as i enjoyed last night enormously. Felt great to be back.

Thought we were really poor for the first sixty but really outplayed them towards the end. It seems bold of the management to go with such a diminutive strikeforce but you can tell we have quality, Campbell in particular. Was really impressed with the lad who came on and played right wing, and WIll Hatfield in midfield looks excellent.

I gather there's been a fair amount of upheaval at the club, so more than willing to give the management time. Concerned about the injury to the right back, do we have any cover?
We’re now doing season tickets where you can pay £20 a month (adult standing) so you don’t even have to shell out a lump sum! I think it would be a wise decision. The players have shown in the first two games that when the click and up the tempo they can be really good. The longer they play together the more frequent and quicker that should happen.

darlo_baron
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:28 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 am

I thought Galbraith, Trotman and particularly Laing were pretty shaky last night. I thought Laing's decision making was poor on several occasions, but he wasn't the only one and Trotman's pass cost us the goal. However, Laing has performed at this level consistently for Blyth, so there is clearly a player there and Armstrong trusts him.

Last night I would have had Heaton in for Kettering in a heart beat, but on reflection I would be happy to continue with a consistent back 4, for now, as AA certainly knows more about Laing than us.

Also, Liddle looks like a brilliant signing. Extremely good finish and very solid defensively. The LB we were crying out for last season.

Looking forward to seeing how we progress.
Last edited by darlo_baron on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Liddle is God!!

al_quaker
Posts: 5340
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by al_quaker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:53 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:17 am
al_quaker wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 am
I wonder if other clubs have a subsection of supporters who have to have a scapegoat, or if this rather bizarre phenomenon is limited purely to darlington
Yeah all clubs have them, just a forum/twitter gives them a voice that everyone can hear.

Even though some players give you reservations, AA has spent the budget on what he could afford and get at the time, we now need to back them and hope they improve rather than some who write them off after two games.
Yes true

I'm not saying there aren't concerns about the squad - I had some during pre-season and the first 2 performances haven't been perfect. But, as LoidLucan has said, there's no point in forming judgements after just 180 minutes. It's a rebuilding year after all

As for the defence, I thought we were OK. Gateshead's number 9 is on loan from league 1, and looked a handful. Yet on the whole he was kept quiet.Decent teams (and Gateshead look decent - better than I expected them to after their recent turmoil) will cause problems going forwards at times. But how many saves did Elliot actually have to make? Not many. Yes there was the odd misplaced pass, but if Armstrong wants our defenders to be playing balls out from the back then there will be the odd mistake. Trotman made one which lead to the goal. It's a learning process of when to play and when not to, which hopefully we will see improvements on as time goes by. Yes our defence wasn't as solid as Gatesheads, but they have an ex-premier league CB playing for them, and are full time. I'm not really sure what people expect sometimes.

TFDM
Posts: 2088
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by TFDM » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 am

We’d have lost that game last season. Gateshead were very competitive at times, perhaps pushing things a little too much on occasions. They were niggly and got in our faces a lot of the time. I really don’t think we’d have fancied that last season.

We’ve shown some character and fully deserved a point by the end. The second half we upped the pressure a bit towards the end of the game and when the goal came you couldn’t really argue with it.

For all we were a bit poor in the first half I’m not sure we fully deserved to be 1-0 down at the break. I thought we looked shaky at the back as others have observed, I also thought Holness didn’t have the best of games in midfield. It was refreshing after last season however to see the subs and changes have a positive impact on things.

Against a full time team, in midweek I think we can be pretty satisfied with the point. Its progression from Saturday and I’m sure we’ll continue to get better. We need to be patient. As one or two others have said Gateshead were better than I expected.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5414
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 am

al_quaker wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:53 am
Yes true

I'm not saying there aren't concerns about the squad - I had some during pre-season and the first 2 performances haven't been perfect. But, as LoidLucan has said, there's no point in forming judgements after just 180 minutes. It's a rebuilding year after all

As for the defence, I thought we were OK. Gateshead's number 9 is on loan from league 1, and looked a handful. Yet on the whole he was kept quiet.Decent teams (and Gateshead look decent - better than I expected them to after their recent turmoil) will cause problems going frowards at times. But how many saves did Elliot actually have to make? Not many. Yes there was the odd misplaced pass, but if Armstrong wants our defenders to be playing balls out from the back then there will be the odd mistake. Trotman made one which lead to the goal. It's a learning process of when to play and when not to, which hopefully we will see improvements on as time goes by. Yes our defence wasn't as solid as Gatesheads, but they have an ex-premier league CB playing for them, and are full time. I'm not really sure what people expect sometimes.
Totally agree.

We just need to see how things develop over the next few games, Armstrong made changes last night that affected the game, so I am sure he knows what needs changing over time or if players just need time to settle.

I thought we were ok last night, we just seemed to not be brave enough until we were a goal down and it was the 2nd half. As you say not sure what anyone who whinges expects at this stage of the season and management tenure.

Glad we got a point and think that will remove a bit of pressure for the next game, thought O'Neill played well and must be pushing on AA door for a start on Saturday especially with the injuries.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Gateshead game...

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

Not entirely sure why Laing is being singled out by some. Didn’t think he was any better or worse than Galbraith.

Come the end of the season, we may look back on this as a reasonable point. Gateshead are a full time team with some really good players for this level. They’re gelling after a lot of change so will only get better.

They’re in a very similar position to us. Only five of this season’s squad were here in August last year, and one of those is Burn. AA is trying to implement a new philosophy on a new squad.

But digging in as we did last night, and not capitulating against a decent side is a positive sign. I think last year, we’d have lost that game. It’s going to take time for everything to come together.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

DarloFaithful
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by DarloFaithful » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 am

We’re now doing season tickets where you can pay £20 a month (adult standing) so you don’t even have to shell out a lump sum! I think it would be a wise decision. The players have shown in the first two games that when the click and up the tempo they can be really good. The longer they play together the more frequent and quicker that should happen.
[/quote]

Have i not missed the boat there? I thought you had to sign up before the season started?

User avatar
Breedon
Posts: 1794
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Breedon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:03 am

For all people are digging out Laing and the defenders last night, can anyone give me one example of them being opened up by Gateshead in the entire 90 minutes :?: I certainly missed it if they did. Laing dwells on the ball a bit and sometimes ignores obvious, easy balls looking for something over the top and he needs to mix it up better. More often than not, it just needs to be kept simple. But then again, he is also capable of dribbling out of defense and playing decent football. He ran through the midfield and played a delightful ball through to Donawa who was just offside towards the end. Some of the cross field knocks to Thompson were spot on, though he probably went to the well a bit too often. But he, like the rest of the team is still learning how they're going to work together, which partnerships and combinations of players will be most effective and how much everyone's natural game will have to make way for doing the sensible thing sometimes. He'll be fine once the team settles down and everyone adapts to each others game.
Last edited by Breedon on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

shawry
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by shawry » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:32 am

DarloFaithful wrote:We’re now doing season tickets where you can pay £20 a month (adult standing) so you don’t even have to shell out a lump sum! I think it would be a wise decision. The players have shown in the first two games that when the click and up the tempo they can be really good. The longer they play together the more frequent and quicker that should happen.
Have i not missed the boat there? I thought you had to sign up before the season started?[/quote]I think its a rolling ticket that moves into next season too possibly, valid for 1 year from point of purchase

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by D_F_C » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:00 pm

Thought Liddle and Thompson were very good last night. Loved Liddle's drive and determination.

There's plenty of positives to go with some negatives. Just like the start of every season. There's things that have gone well and things we need to work on. I have worries that teams scout us and then play with 2 solid lines of defence and midfield, which means that we are forced to go for Hollywood diagonal balls. At the same time they try and force us to kick long as we don't have a great deal of height. Not sure we have much of a plan B. Set pieces also worry me, at one point Donawa was marking their big number 9 because Holness had gone off (apparently Holness is our 3rd best at heading after the 2 CBs)

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3897
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:09 pm

en passant wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 am
Btw did anyone get the 50-50 number tonight, I can't remember hearing it called out, which is remarkable given that the PA was certainly loud. Mind you, given the number of times they got players numbers wrong in the substitutions, I'm not sure I would have believed any number they quoted. It did look like there was over 1900 there.
The number was read out quite clearly at halftime, and the number was walked around the pitch as normal.

ALSO THE CLOCK HAS BEEN FIXED.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

onewayup
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by onewayup » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Why do people say defending was the problem last night ,for me it was a case of only two in midfield that caused our problems we couldn't get a grip on the match because we seemed to be playing 4-2-4 so if you're playing with four front men then the midfield aren't going to get control,
I thought that's what happened last night and their goal was a deflection otherwise I think from where I was Chris elliot would have got the ball, I won't make judgement until at least 10 games into the season.
As has been said by many it's a new season new manager new players for crying out loud give them a chance to gel I am sure it will improve ,fans need to stay positive and get behind the team
Barracking them is a definite no no at this conjuncture, let's get behind AA and his players and see the season take off. Onwards and upwards with Darlington FC. :thumbup:

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11714
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 pm

You only have to cast your mind back a few years to Aaron Brown, who was castigated after his first couple of games for us yet went on to be a fine player for us and a trophy winner at Wembley.

Adam Bartlett more recently who many fans criticised after his first couple of games.

Armstrong has seen more of Laing than any of us so I'll take his judgement for the time being.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

en passant
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by en passant » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:42 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:09 pm
en passant wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 am
Btw did anyone get the 50-50 number tonight, I can't remember hearing it called out, which is remarkable given that the PA was certainly loud. Mind you, given the number of times they got players numbers wrong in the substitutions, I'm not sure I would have believed any number they quoted. It did look like there was over 1900 there.
The number was read out quite clearly at halftime, and the number was walked around the pitch as normal.

ALSO THE CLOCK HAS BEEN FIXED.
Many thanks for that. I'm afraid that I was working at half time so didn't have the time to see it being walked around and must have missed the announcement.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12881
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by divas » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:51 pm

DarloFaithful wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 am
divas wrote: We’re now doing season tickets where you can pay £20 a month (adult standing) so you don’t even have to shell out a lump sum! I think it would be a wise decision. The players have shown in the first two games that when the click and up the tempo they can be really good. The longer they play together the more frequent and quicker that should happen.
Have i not missed the boat there? I thought you had to sign up before the season started?
No, you can sign up at any time and you’re billed monthly. There’s a minimum 12 month term so if you sign up late you’ll just run into the start of next season before 12 months is up. Once you’ve passed 12 months you can cancel or just let it run.

Full details and sign up link here: https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/pay-monthly-season-pass

Beano
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Beano » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:56 pm

divas wrote:
DarloFaithful wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 am
divas wrote: We’re now doing season tickets where you can pay £20 a month (adult standing) so you don’t even have to shell out a lump sum! I think it would be a wise decision. The players have shown in the first two games that when the click and up the tempo they can be really good. The longer they play together the more frequent and quicker that should happen.
Have i not missed the boat there? I thought you had to sign up before the season started?
No, you can sign up at any time and you’re billed monthly. There’s a minimum 12 month term so if you sign up late you’ll just run into the start of next season before 12 months is up. Once you’ve passed 12 months you can cancel or just let it run.

Full details and sign up link here: https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/pay-monthly-season-pass
This system is genius.

TFDM
Posts: 2088
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by TFDM » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Highlights from last night's game: https://youtu.be/5U-LBlLY9FQ

Darlofan97
Posts: 4142
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:15 pm

From the Northern Echo:

He elaborated after Saturday’s match, during which Laing enjoyed a solid game, saying: “People were ringing me and sending me stuff they’d seen and it’s unbelievable. Two games. Laingy was getting the brunt of it and I was absolutely flabbergasted.

“Things happen off the field to players that people don’t know about, things that I deal with and I look after them.

“I’ve seen what happens to players. I try to tell these lads to stay away from social media, I’ve said to them that it’s my pet hate. Yes, fans have an opinion, but when you see some of the comments…someone said he was abysmal and there is no way that lad was abysmal on Wednesday night.”

The manager added: “I put a lot of pressure on Laingy to play the way we do, because he’s the one that we start and play us out from the back with. He’s going to lose the ball more than others because he’s on the ball more than anyone at the back.

“The reason he was hitting long balls was because there were no options in midfield. He was forced into it, he was hung out to dry by the lads because there wasn’t enough options.

“As a team, you’ve got to look after each other and as soon as he’s on the ball he should have options.

“Judge these players at the end of the season, never mind after five or six games. It’s a long old season and they’re all quality footballers.”

This is not a manager hitting out at supporters, the same supporters who pay the wages, nor would he claim players are above criticism, he is merely asking for patience as his new team knits together.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2708
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:From the Northern Echo:

He elaborated after Saturday’s match, during which Laing enjoyed a solid game, saying: “People were ringing me and sending me stuff they’d seen and it’s unbelievable. Two games. Laingy was getting the brunt of it and I was absolutely flabbergasted.

“Things happen off the field to players that people don’t know about, things that I deal with and I look after them.

“I’ve seen what happens to players. I try to tell these lads to stay away from social media, I’ve said to them that it’s my pet hate. Yes, fans have an opinion, but when you see some of the comments…someone said he was abysmal and there is no way that lad was abysmal on Wednesday night.”

The manager added: “I put a lot of pressure on Laingy to play the way we do, because he’s the one that we start and play us out from the back with. He’s going to lose the ball more than others because he’s on the ball more than anyone at the back.

“The reason he was hitting long balls was because there were no options in midfield. He was forced into it, he was hung out to dry by the lads because there wasn’t enough options.

“As a team, you’ve got to look after each other and as soon as he’s on the ball he should have options.

“Judge these players at the end of the season, never mind after five or six games. It’s a long old season and they’re all quality footballers.”

This is not a manager hitting out at supporters, the same supporters who pay the wages, nor would he claim players are above criticism, he is merely asking for patience as his new team knits together.
Great post..AA is totally right fans or so called fans need to back off a bit and stop slagging them off... Langy is a decent player just cos he were at Artlepool doesn't give them the right to ridicule the lad after 3 games..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


MB86DFC
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:08 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:From the Northern Echo:

He elaborated after Saturday’s match, during which Laing enjoyed a solid game, saying: “People were ringing me and sending me stuff they’d seen and it’s unbelievable. Two games. Laingy was getting the brunt of it and I was absolutely flabbergasted.

“Things happen off the field to players that people don’t know about, things that I deal with and I look after them.

“I’ve seen what happens to players. I try to tell these lads to stay away from social media, I’ve said to them that it’s my pet hate. Yes, fans have an opinion, but when you see some of the comments…someone said he was abysmal and there is no way that lad was abysmal on Wednesday night.”

The manager added: “I put a lot of pressure on Laingy to play the way we do, because he’s the one that we start and play us out from the back with. He’s going to lose the ball more than others because he’s on the ball more than anyone at the back.

“The reason he was hitting long balls was because there were no options in midfield. He was forced into it, he was hung out to dry by the lads because there wasn’t enough options.

“As a team, you’ve got to look after each other and as soon as he’s on the ball he should have options.

“Judge these players at the end of the season, never mind after five or six games. It’s a long old season and they’re all quality footballers.”

This is not a manager hitting out at supporters, the same supporters who pay the wages, nor would he claim players are above criticism, he is merely asking for patience as his new team knits together.
Great post..AA is totally right fans or so called fans need to back off a bit and stop slagging them off... Langy is a decent player just cos he were at Artlepool doesn't give them the right to ridicule the lad after 3 games..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I doubt anyone is bothered that he used to play for Hartlepool.

I wasn’t at the match yesterday but seems he had a better game, hopefully onwards and upwards.

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:21 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:08 pm
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:From the Northern Echo:

He elaborated after Saturday’s match, during which Laing enjoyed a solid game, saying: “People were ringing me and sending me stuff they’d seen and it’s unbelievable. Two games. Laingy was getting the brunt of it and I was absolutely flabbergasted.

“Things happen off the field to players that people don’t know about, things that I deal with and I look after them.

“I’ve seen what happens to players. I try to tell these lads to stay away from social media, I’ve said to them that it’s my pet hate. Yes, fans have an opinion, but when you see some of the comments…someone said he was abysmal and there is no way that lad was abysmal on Wednesday night.”

The manager added: “I put a lot of pressure on Laingy to play the way we do, because he’s the one that we start and play us out from the back with. He’s going to lose the ball more than others because he’s on the ball more than anyone at the back.

“The reason he was hitting long balls was because there were no options in midfield. He was forced into it, he was hung out to dry by the lads because there wasn’t enough options.

“As a team, you’ve got to look after each other and as soon as he’s on the ball he should have options.

“Judge these players at the end of the season, never mind after five or six games. It’s a long old season and they’re all quality footballers.”

This is not a manager hitting out at supporters, the same supporters who pay the wages, nor would he claim players are above criticism, he is merely asking for patience as his new team knits together.
Great post..AA is totally right fans or so called fans need to back off a bit and stop slagging them off... Langy is a decent player just cos he were at Artlepool doesn't give them the right to ridicule the lad after 3 games..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I doubt anyone is bothered that he used to play for Hartlepool.

I wasn’t at the match yesterday but seems he had a better game, hopefully onwards and upwards.
Glad you’ve been called out for spouting bollocks in the first instance. Hopefully next time when you (probably wrongly) think a player has been “abysmal” or such like, you’ll heed this advice and keep it to yourself.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Why should he keep an opinion to himself? If he’s got one, and it’s genuinely held, I don’t see what’s wrong with expressing that on a message board, designed for that purpose. Too many people seem to want to shut down any criticism whatsoever.

I personally disagreed with Laing being described as abysmal. But the point is challenge and argue if you disagree, rather than telling people they shouldn’t state their opinion.

I agree with AA when he says players are best off avoiding places like here. You’re never going to stop fans being critical of players, particularly from the comfort of social media.

Where I disagree with AA is, as long as an opinion isn’t abusive and is justifiable, then there’s nothing wrong with it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 pm
Why should he keep an opinion to himself? If he’s got one, and it’s genuinely held, I don’t see what’s wrong with expressing that on a message board, designed for that purpose. Too many people seem to want to shut down any criticism whatsoever.

I personally disagreed with Laing being described as abysmal. But the point is challenge and argue if you disagree, rather than telling people they shouldn’t state their opinion.

I agree with AA when he says players are best off avoiding places like here. You’re never going to stop fans being critical of players, particularly from the comfort of social media.

Where I disagree with AA is, as long as an opinion isn’t abusive and is justifiable, then there’s nothing wrong with it.
I agree that an expressed opinion should be justifiable and not abusive. What is considered to be 'abusive' will be open to interpretation but a quick on-line dictionary search would suggest that a comment that is offensive, insulting, belittling and disresepectful would fit the bill. Therefore, in the context of Laing's overall effort and performance on Wednesday, then to describe it as a "abysmal" is offensive, in my opinion.

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 am

I’m not saying you’re not entitled to an opinion, more questioning the motivation for belittling a player publically with questionable reasoning, particularly after the second game of the season after there has been repeated calls for patience due to new personnel/formation/style of play. Why the need for such harsh criticism? What exactly is anyone getting out of coming on here and spouting off like that?

Ultimately we all want the team to do well and, as has been made clear by AA, opinions on here and elsewhere are heard by the players whether anyone likes it or not, with the fact being that this can shoot their confidence. There could well be a genuinely shocking performance at some point this season, I’d expect that given we’re a part time club. The players and management are professional enough to know themselves if we’ve been under par though and I’d trust them to do what’s necessary to address that.

What won’t help is a public bashing. As such I’m more than happy to keep my opinions to myself as and when that happens, let alone when it’s completely unjustified.

MB86DFC
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:17 am

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 am
I’m not saying you’re not entitled to an opinion, more questioning the motivation for belittling a player publically with questionable reasoning, particularly after the second game of the season after there has been repeated calls for patience due to new personnel/formation/style of play. Why the need for such harsh criticism? What exactly is anyone getting out of coming on here and spouting off like that?

Ultimately we all want the team to do well and, as has been made clear by AA, opinions on here and elsewhere are heard by the players whether anyone likes it or not, with the fact being that this can shoot their confidence. There could well be a genuinely shocking performance at some point this season, I’d expect that given we’re a part time club. The players and management are professional enough to know themselves if we’ve been under par though and I’d trust them to do what’s necessary to address that.

What won’t help is a public bashing. As such I’m more than happy to keep my opinions to myself as and when that happens, let alone when it’s completely unjustified.
Of course people are allowed to comment their opinion, just as your allowed to say I'm talking utter bollocks, if that's what you think. This is a message board for sharing and debating opinion, I joined in with others assessments of his performance. Players are in the public eye so they are always going to have to deal with criticism. If we can't criticize we might as well close down the board and all public media channels. I don't agree with booing and shouting abuse during a match, but if you can give your verdict with some reasons to explain why you think that way then, even if you are wrong in your assessment, that is surely fair?

If you read my three previous posts on this thread I explain why I thought he was crap on Wednesday night, but also said that he seemed OK in the friendlies and that it is too early to be making a long term judgement of his (and the whole teams) abilities. I certainly didn't make a permanent sweeping judgement as Yarblockos did.

I think that's a great statement by AA, the sort of public backing good managers give to their players in public.

spen666
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by spen666 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:26 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 pm
Why should he keep an opinion to himself? If he’s got one, and it’s genuinely held, I don’t see what’s wrong with expressing that on a message board, designed for that purpose. Too many people seem to want to shut down any criticism whatsoever.

I personally disagreed with Laing being described as abysmal. But the point is challenge and argue if you disagree, rather than telling people they shouldn’t state their opinion.

I agree with AA when he says players are best off avoiding places like here. You’re never going to stop fans being critical of players, particularly from the comfort of social media.

Where I disagree with AA is, as long as an opinion isn’t abusive and is justifiable, then there’s nothing wrong with it.

I am a believer in free speech and everyone has the right to express their opinion (within the law). However, just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should necessarily do it.

You have the right to slate any player you like, whether others agree or not.

However as a fan of a team, you should also balance the effect on that player/ team of expressing that criticism. If it is going to harm the team or player is it worth expressing that criticism, just because you can?

PS when I use the word "you", I am not directing this at Darlogramps or any individual person.

50 years
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gateshead game...

Post by 50 years » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 am

AA is absolutely right!

I do find it unusual that some fans make up there mind very quickly on players, and let them know it. At Farsley both Elliott and Laing came in for criticism from some fans, and the same on Wednesday. I even saw someone who looked to be having a go directly at Elliott when he came into the goal at half time at Farsley, although his mate seemed to be apologising for his outburst.

For me I thought both had a good pre season, in fact I though Laing was someone who we have needed at CH for a while, being able to play the ball out from the back and with some really intelligent and accurate long passes rather than just a hoof. Elliott although smallish for a keeper, looks to have safe hands making some good saves and holding the ball well from some solid shots.

It is true that both will make mistakes at times, as will the rest of the team, as we are a part time team and in the NLN. In fact Luke Trotman against Gateshead, gave the ball away quite a few times and we know is a quality player.

I think we as fans can easily affect some players confidence, which becomes a vicious circle as they then try too hard not to make mistakes, an example being Peter Jamerson, ( AA was able to build up his confidence after us, and he is getting good reviews at York). In AA we have a manager who is capable of building these guy's up after confidence has been affecting their game, but would be so much easier if he did not have to do that I suspect. While we all have our views on individual players, including me, I personally just talk it through with my mates and have a good chin wag and clearly sometimes not all agreeing. Why anyone wants loads of other people they don't know, (or the player directly themselves), their views and think it can't have an impact is beyond me. That is not to say forums like this should not be used for debate, but without it being "nasty".

How we stop that on social media I have no idea as I don't go on anything other than this forum. But it would be great if the fans just thought of the impact of their actions, and if their actions actually deliver the outcome they would desire?

I live in hope.

Post Reply