Curzon Ashton v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

OnTheTerraces
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curzon Ashton v Darlo

Post by OnTheTerraces » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 am

This Atkinson fella must be superb if he could have stopped those goals, looking forward to seeing Viera, Toure and Kante rolled into one!

1. Daft free kick. Header onto the bar (keeper could have tipped it over?) and then Liddle out jumped. Header looped in.

2. Hatfield goes for the header and misses it. Defence on their heels not expecting him to miss it. Goal from position where we aren’t taking our chances from, keeper beaten at near post.

3. Hatfield loses an aerial duel in the middle and the resulting ball into the defence isn’t dealt with. Heads across the box to their man who beats keeper at the near post.

Sure we missed good chances and had no luck .... Thommo and O’Neill off the line come to mind.

It’s not all that bad. Cut out the errors and and we’ll be more than fine.

It may be that we need to ditch the number 10 and bring in a third central midfielder who bombs forward. Then we can have a sitter and two piling forward. Defensively we’d be much better to. Maybe Omar instead of O’Neill.

Atkinson at right back and Liddle back to left back.

Tez back in next to Laing.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 am

From what I can see we don’t need to do an awful lot different but cut out some errors - unfortunately I do feel that was said last year as well mind.

The difference I suppose is we know this lot can play as they did it last season and we know that this lot are actually training together regularly.

I think let things settle. Let players get used to each other and with that will come confidence and a reduction in errors.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 am
This Atkinson fella must be superb if he could have stopped those goals, looking forward to seeing Viera, Toure and Kante rolled into one!

1. Daft free kick. Header onto the bar (keeper could have tipped it over?) and then Liddle out jumped. Header looped in.

2. Hatfield goes for the header and misses it. Defence on their heels not expecting him to miss it. Goal from position where we aren’t taking our chances from, keeper beaten at near post.

3. Hatfield loses an aerial duel in the middle and the resulting ball into the defence isn’t dealt with. Heads across the box to their man who beats keeper at the near post.

Sure we missed good chances and had no luck .... Thommo and O’Neill off the line come to mind.

It may be that we need to ditch the number 10 and bring in a third central midfielder who bombs forward. Then we can have a sitter and two piling forward. Defensively we’d be much better to. Maybe Omar instead of O’Neill.

Well I never said Atkinson would stop any of those goals, rather I was just musing as to the impact that he might have on our overall solidity. But, as you highlight, it was Hatfield in CM who could have prevented 2 of the goals, and thus perhaps if it was Atkinson in CM competing for the headers then the outcome may have been different ;)

It is individual errors that are causing us problems so far - I'm not sure changing formation to try and combat those individual errors is the way forwards though. Let alone dropping O'Neill who has been very impressive and provides a much needed target up front.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 am

If Atkinson is going for those headers he isn’t sitting in front of the defence.

Thankfully we have a good manager in Alun who can sort it out. We just sit back, relax and watch it all unfold.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 am
If Atkinson is going for those headers he isn’t sitting in front of the defence.

Thankfully we have a good manager in Alun who can sort it out. We just sit back, relax and watch it all unfold.
Certainly Hatfield missed the header for the second goal right in front of the defence. Either way, you've read far too much into a throw away comment about Atkinson!

And yes I agree with your second sentence - Armstrong seems like he knows what he's doing, so I've faith that he will get it sorted out over time.

sue_donym

Post by sue_donym » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:18 am

Whilst I share the faith that we're on broadly the right track, at what point do we start to get nervous?

Fact of the matter is that we've played well in one game out of four. We have fewer points than at this point last season, have scored fewer goals and conceded more. And the corresponding fixtures last season were harder.

I don't want to be a gloom merchant - the whole feel about the place seems different this year and I do genuinely believe that we'll crack on and finish higher than we did last season. But if we keep on gifting teams goals we're going to keep on fighting an uphill battle.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 am

With Thommo no available for Southport game, perhaps a chance to play O'Neill & Campbell as a front pair in a 4-4-2?

A few of the lads need time playing together, including Omar & Heaton so now is the time to trust in AA and get behind the lads. Put Curse-on game behind us and build on the excellent Kettering result. Would be nice to have a settled side, but the injury to Trots and other circumstances beyond AA's control have given us an opportunity to try out some other formations so let's make the best of it and hope that the likes of Donawa, Holness & those on the fringes of the squad take their chances. :thumbup:

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 am

With Thommo no available for Southport game, perhaps a chance to play O'Neill & Campbell as a front pair in a 4-4-2?
What you mean like we did on Saturday when Thompson played on the left and Rivers on the right?

Looked like a 4-4-2 to me, but people are convincing themselves it was a 4-2-3-1 just because O'Neill likes to drop deep from time to time. Strikers in a 4-4-2 are allowed to do that you know. They don't both have to rigidly have to hang around the penalty box.

2 strikers on the field playing in a partnership = 4-4-2.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 am
Is there a team in England with a better record against us than Curzon Ashton?
We won at Curzon in 2016/17.
If it's teams with better records against us then try Chesterfield. We haven't won there in the league since 1965. Sixteen games.
I know I was at quite a few.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am

quakersfan wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:54 pm
Was offered a lift to this game but couldn’t finish work early enough on reflection I’m glad I didn’t go. After three games I think it’s going to be an up and down season we need investment to compete for play off places.
It could be an up and down campaign but I think most people knew that before it started. A few fans have made sensible points about mid-table finishes and possible cup runs. Losing at Curzon is a disappointment but the defense will learn from it. Realism really is the name of the game and I don't think talk about investment and play-offs is realistic. I believe Armstrong is our man and we must stand by him.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am

I think, last season, it was after Blyth put Atkinson into that deep midfield position that they went on their long unbeaten run so hopefully he will have the same effect for us once he is fit.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:39 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 am
jjljks wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 am

What you mean like we did on Saturday when Thompson played on the left and Rivers on the right?

Looked like a 4-4-2 to me, but people are convincing themselves it was a 4-2-3-1 just because O'Neill likes to drop deep from time to time. Strikers in a 4-4-2 are allowed to do that you know. They don't both have to rigidly have to hang around the penalty box.

2 strikers on the field playing in a partnership = 4-4-2.
looked like 4-2-3-1 to me, but I don't think there's a massive difference between the 2 in the sense that the number 10 will move back and forwards. Suppose it's a different look when you're with and without the ball

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:00 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am
I think, last season, it was after Blyth put Atkinson into that deep midfield position that they went on their long unbeaten run so hopefully he will have the same effect for us once he is fit.
Talking of Atkinson, I wonder when he will be fit? The club did state that he "might" make the opening fixture but that date is already 10 days gone, and we haven't heard a peep about his situation since?

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:00 pm
dfc4me wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am
Talking of Atkinson, I wonder when he will be fit? The club did state that he "might" make the opening fixture but that date is already 10 days gone, and we haven't heard a peep about his situation since?
All gone quiet. Hopefully he is the missing piece that gets us tighter at the back.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quakers ... ys-tonight
Team News: Right back Luke Trotman is ruled out for the season with an achilles problem, while striker Jamie Holmes is out with a cartilage problem. Midfielder David Atkinson is doubtful with a foot injury, he’s possibly still a game or two away from a full return.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Take Dan Maguire out of the Blyth team last season and I bet their performances/results would have been similar to what we are seeing so far this season. Not easy to find a striker like that though.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm
Take Dan Maguire out of the Blyth team last season and I bet their performances/results would have been similar to what we are seeing so far this season. Not easy to find a striker like that though.
Gary Martin is back training with us in a few weeks time, not sure how long the Icelandic leagues break is but it would be great to see if we could get him in on loan.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:25 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm
Gary Martin is back training with us in a few weeks time, not sure how long the Icelandic leagues break is but it would be great to see if we could get him in on loan.
Will he also be wanting to turn out for Darlington Albion at the same time (the reason he didn’t get a deal with us last time and was promptly dropped by York?)

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Darlington Albion are now Darlington Town in the Wearside League (our old reserve side).

So if they play on a Saturday, that removes the problem of anyone potentially playing for them on a Sunday.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks Robbie, was wondering where to find that info. I wasn't that downhearted last night, more philosophical. There were a lot of positives, plenty of energy and enthusiasm and if we'd had a shot or three instead of passing it, who knows. Really pleased to see Hatfield getting stuck in, just what we needed and hopefully if Atkinson is a holding midfielder it will free him up to go forward. Great support and I managed to drag my three United supporting relatives along. They're talking about more outings! A work in progress.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 pm
I could be wrong, but I think Darlington Albion are now Darlington Town in the Wearside League (our old reserve side).

So if they play on a Saturday, that removes the problem of anyone potentially playing for them on a Sunday.
Are they not still playing on Sundays as well? Or have they given them up?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

The second goal was horrible defending and for the third we are too timid when the ball falls to their forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Are they not still playing on Sundays as well? Or have they given them up?
Gramps is correct that the Albion is now Darlington Town, however some of their players still play sunday league for other sides.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Ahhh. Guess it probably depends whether those mates are Martin’s mates I guess.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:51 pm

sue_donym wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:18 am
Whilst I share the faith that we're on broadly the right track, at what point do we start to get nervous?
More than four games into a 42 game season, I'd suggest.