Small clubs in the north west

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

spen666
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by spen666 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 am
If a long term fan won the Euromillions I may be persuaded to consider letting 50% go, but never to another Reynolds / Singh / Houghton etc.

If you let it go, its gone forever.

You sell to a benevolent lottery winner .... but you then can't control what he or she does later with that share.

carlodarlo
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by carlodarlo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:07 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:36 am
carlodarlo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:43 am
The club does aspire to get back into the football league, Its been said on many occasions. Otherwise there would be no point in the football club existing if that wasn't the long term aim.
I am not sure I buy into the idea that the point of football clubs existing is to compete in the football league.

There is a much broader social / community aspect to a football club which is far more important than what division they compete in.
All football clubs aim is surely to play at the highest level they possibly can isn't it?

EDJOHNS
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:39 pm

spen666 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 am
MB86DFC wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 am
If a long term fan won the Euromillions I may be persuaded to consider letting 50% go, but never to another Reynolds / Singh / Houghton etc.

If you let it go, its gone forever.

You sell to a benevolent lottery winner .... but you then can't control what he or she does later with that share.
Of course you can in more than 1 way.

1), An option in the sale contract that if the owner wants to sell on the fans can buy back either at sale price or with interest. If they can't/don't want to do so,

2), The sale to any other party can only go through with the agreement of the remaining shareholders.

For a solicitor you do make some basic silly mistakes.

Darlo My Darlo
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:16 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo My Darlo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:43 pm

I swear more Brighton fans wanted to go back down to the EFL championship than stay in the Premier League with the style of football Chris Hughton was playing against Man Citeh in their last match last season. It all seemed rather bizarre to me.

onewayup
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by onewayup » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Darlo lad ,you are not a darlo fan otherwise you would have a totally different view ,the real fans of this club know only to well all the pitfalls within your account of a major benefactor, we've been there done that and that's why we are where we are, stop trying to stir the pot ,we will get to where the fan's want to be it will take time be sensible.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5436
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 pm

So we need an investor who only wants 50% maximum, we might as well say 49% so we always have 51%.
Has to sell shares back to the fans group only and if we don't have the money they can't sell.

We should also ask them to put in a minimum of 500k per season in as well so we can rightfully play in the football league as some think we have that right.

Are we demanding anything else form the thousands of people wanting to invest, sure Dave Johnston and DFCSG can't wait to brief all the investors.

I do worry about anyhow who actually believes they are people who want to invest in DFC full stop, never mind something along the terms above. :roll:

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by loan_star » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:23 pm

If a fan won the euromillions why would he/she want to buy the club? Why not just be a benefactor without needing control? They could easily make the club self sustainable without buying the club.

lo36789
Posts: 8109
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 pm
So we need an investor who only wants 50% maximum, we might as well say 49% so we always have 51%.
Has to sell shares back to the fans group only and if we don't have the money they can't sell.

We should also ask them to put in a minimum of 500k per season in as well so we can rightfully play in the football league as some think we have that right.

Are we demanding anything else form the thousands of people wanting to invest, sure Dave Johnston and DFCSG can't wait to brief all the investors.

I do worry about anyhow who actually believes they are people who want to invest in DFC full stop, never mind something along the terms above. :roll:
It also feels like the weirdest form of investment ever...you can invest money but if you ever want to cash in your investment you have to give the fans first option and actually the maximum you can earn is what you put in plus BoE interest rate.

I mean I bet investors queue round the block for ROI promises like that. Worst case they lose it all, best case they get their investment amount back plus interest.

Probably best sticking it in a cash ISA...

Darlo_lad
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo_lad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:04 pm

onewayup wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:01 pm
Darlo lad ,you are not a darlo fan otherwise you would have a totally different view ,the real fans of this club know only to well all the pitfalls within your account of a major benefactor, we've been there done that and that's why we are where we are, stop trying to stir the pot ,we will get to where the fan's want to be it will take time be sensible.
Whatever mate. So 35 years of watching them and because I have a different point of view to some on here I'm not a true darlo fan, give your head a wobble. I wouldn't want another houghton/ singh like anyone else but the idea that we will steadily get there is fanciful as well, crowds will start to dwindle the longer we are out of the league and showing little ambition to get back there. A key reason young fans will miss out on going is because of a number of factors but one of them is the lack of efl football.
Last edited by Darlo_lad on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_lad
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo_lad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am
Darlo_lad wrote:There is no one who has come forward at the moment but if the fans group said they would be willing, provided all checks done etc there might be. No one has a right to any league status but that is what we should aspire to otherwise we will wither slowly.
So we don’t “belong” in the EFL as you said, and there’s no one waiting with money for us. Now you’re getting there.

Next question, why should we change the club structure, which has in part led to us reaching some form of financial stability, in favour of handing control to a hypothetical owner who may or may not even exist?

If someone wants to invest, we have the mechanism by which to do so, without putting our club at risk of another Singh or Dale.
Because without a change in structure we will stagnate in this league for years. If you consider buckets at every match as some form of financial stability I'd hate to be your bank manager. No club belongs in he EFL but can you say in your heart you think we don't, it should be our aspiration.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:15 pm

But it is our aspiration. As people in this thread have pointed out. Either you can't read or you are conveniently ignoring this point.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:07 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am
Darlo_lad wrote:There is no one who has come forward at the moment but if the fans group said they would be willing, provided all checks done etc there might be. No one has a right to any league status but that is what we should aspire to otherwise we will wither slowly.
So we don’t “belong” in the EFL as you said, and there’s no one waiting with money for us. Now you’re getting there.

Next question, why should we change the club structure, which has in part led to us reaching some form of financial stability, in favour of handing control to a hypothetical owner who may or may not even exist?

If someone wants to invest, we have the mechanism by which to do so, without putting our club at risk of another Singh or Dale.
Because without a change in structure we will stagnate in this league for years. If you consider buckets at every match as some form of financial stability I'd hate to be your bank manager. No club belongs in he EFL but can you say in your heart you think we don't, it should be our aspiration.
We "Stagnated" in division 4 for a short while as I seem to remember !!!!!

Darlo_lad
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo_lad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:34 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:04 pm
Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:07 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am
Darlo_lad wrote:There is no one who has come forward at the moment but if the fans group said they would be willing, provided all checks done etc there might be. No one has a right to any league status but that is what we should aspire to otherwise we will wither slowly.
So we don’t “belong” in the EFL as you said, and there’s no one waiting with money for us. Now you’re getting there.

Next question, why should we change the club structure, which has in part led to us reaching some form of financial stability, in favour of handing control to a hypothetical owner who may or may not even exist?

If someone wants to invest, we have the mechanism by which to do so, without putting our club at risk of another Singh or Dale.
Because without a change in structure we will stagnate in this league for years. If you consider buckets at every match as some form of financial stability I'd hate to be your bank manager. No club belongs in he EFL but can you say in your heart you think we don't, it should be our aspiration.
We "Stagnated" in division 4 for a short while as I seem to remember !!!!!
Aye and I'd settle for that now

lo36789
Posts: 8109
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Would you though?

Or would the “what’s the point in playing if not progressing” arguments start again.

And then someone will turn up with a 5 year plan to get into the Premier League, promising they will redevelop the ground for car boot sales and a hotels and concerts and stuff and purchase ex premier league players for record fees...

And of course it has to be taken because being in EFL1 will finally make all the fans come out...

Darlo_lad
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo_lad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Of course I would. That is the natural level i started supporting them at. If i wanted premier league I'd have been a shirt wearing armchair glory supporter like the rest of them.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by divas » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:36 pm

Why did you start supporting Darlington?

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am
Darlo_lad wrote:There is no one who has come forward at the moment but if the fans group said they would be willing, provided all checks done etc there might be. No one has a right to any league status but that is what we should aspire to otherwise we will wither slowly.
So we don’t “belong” in the EFL as you said, and there’s no one waiting with money for us. Now you’re getting there.

Next question, why should we change the club structure, which has in part led to us reaching some form of financial stability, in favour of handing control to a hypothetical owner who may or may not even exist?

If someone wants to invest, we have the mechanism by which to do so, without putting our club at risk of another Singh or Dale.
Because without a change in structure we will stagnate in this league for years. If you consider buckets at every match as some form of financial stability I'd hate to be your bank manager. No club belongs in he EFL but can you say in your heart you think we don't, it should be our aspiration.
No, I don’t think we “belong” in the EFL. I tend to find it’s that kind of clap trap we get from old fogeys who are living in the past. We’ll belong in the EFL once we’ve earned it through promotion.

We will not stagnate from a change in structure. It’s nothing to do with it. How we reconnect with the town, the fan base and the businesses, that will determine whether we stagnate or not.

If you think thousands will come flooding back because we’re playing Walsall and Grimsby instead of Kidderminster and Spennymoor, then you’re living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. Last time we were in League Two, our attendances declined. Hardly the land of milk and honey you’re making out.

Remember, on three occasions a single benefactor plunged us into turmoil. And now, on a week it’s happened to another club, you wanted us to return to that? Give your empty head a wobble.

If you want someone to spunk money around for quick victories and promotions, I suggest you start supporting Spenny. I don’t see why we should put the club at risk because you’re too impatient to do things sensibly. And leaving the club at the whim of one businessman is an almighty risk.

But until anyone comes forward, it’s all moot and irrelevant anyway. We’re not changing it because there’s no one out there to invest. And we have the mechanism for them to do so anyway without putting ourselves at risk any more.

So unless you know of anyone rich enough and willing to come forward, your argument is empty waffle.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_lad
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo_lad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 pm
Darlo_lad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am
Darlo_lad wrote:There is no one who has come forward at the moment but if the fans group said they would be willing, provided all checks done etc there might be. No one has a right to any league status but that is what we should aspire to otherwise we will wither slowly.
So we don’t “belong” in the EFL as you said, and there’s no one waiting with money for us. Now you’re getting there.

Next question, why should we change the club structure, which has in part led to us reaching some form of financial stability, in favour of handing control to a hypothetical owner who may or may not even exist?

If someone wants to invest, we have the mechanism by which to do so, without putting our club at risk of another Singh or Dale.
Because without a change in structure we will stagnate in this league for years. If you consider buckets at every match as some form of financial stability I'd hate to be your bank manager. No club belongs in he EFL but can you say in your heart you think we don't, it should be our aspiration.
No, I don’t think we “belong” in the EFL. I tend to find it’s that kind of clap trap we get from old fogeys who are living in the past. We’ll belong in the EFL once we’ve earned it through promotion.

We will not stagnate from a change in structure. It’s nothing to do with it. How we reconnect with the town, the fan base and the businesses, that will determine whether we stagnate or not.

If you think thousands will come flooding back because we’re playing Walsall and Grimsby instead of Kidderminster and Spennymoor, then you’re living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. Last time we were in League Two, our attendances declined. Hardly the land of milk and honey you’re making out.

Remember, on three occasions a single benefactor plunged us into turmoil. And now, on a week it’s happened to another club, you wanted us to return to that? Give your empty head a wobble.

If you want someone to spunk money around for quick victories and promotions, I suggest you start supporting Spenny. I don’t see why we should put the club at risk because you’re too impatient to do things sensibly. And leaving the club at the whim of one businessman is an almighty risk.

But until anyone comes forward, it’s all moot and irrelevant anyway. We’re not changing it because there’s no one out there to invest. And we have the mechanism for them to do so anyway without putting ourselves at risk any more.

So unless you know of anyone rich enough and willing to come forward, your argument is empty waffle.
But if anyone came forward hey would be scared off by the 'not at our club' brigade, and I'm not talking about Singh here I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole. We were getting 3,500 on average at Feethams in div 2 and that's where what we should be getting as a club. If we don't aspire to it then the 1300 will dwindle slowly over he next 5-10 years. It takes money to get up the pyramid, we were a big fish in the northern league with a budget to match. But without investment now we will never get back to the efl, give your head a wobble lad.

Mister e
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Mister e » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:34 pm

I for one was one of the few people at the infamous fan forum willing to publicly state I think this is one of the be at leagues we've played in and I've followed the club since 1970 the clubs in this league are a hell of a lot more friendly and welcoming than the majority of football league clubs. Plenty of ex football league clubs are in this division with us anyway darlo lad so why fret.

Mister e
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Mister e » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:35 pm

That should have read best leagues predictive text strikes again.

biccynana
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by biccynana » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 pm
Darlo_lad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am
Darlo_lad wrote:There is no one who has come forward at the moment but if the fans group said they would be willing, provided all checks done etc there might be. No one has a right to any league status but that is what we should aspire to otherwise we will wither slowly.
So we don’t “belong” in the EFL as you said, and there’s no one waiting with money for us. Now you’re getting there.

Next question, why should we change the club structure, which has in part led to us reaching some form of financial stability, in favour of handing control to a hypothetical owner who may or may not even exist?

If someone wants to invest, we have the mechanism by which to do so, without putting our club at risk of another Singh or Dale.
Because without a change in structure we will stagnate in this league for years. If you consider buckets at every match as some form of financial stability I'd hate to be your bank manager. No club belongs in he EFL but can you say in your heart you think we don't, it should be our aspiration.
No, I don’t think we “belong” in the EFL. I tend to find it’s that kind of clap trap we get from old fogeys who are living in the past. We’ll belong in the EFL once we’ve earned it through promotion.

We will not stagnate from a change in structure. It’s nothing to do with it. How we reconnect with the town, the fan base and the businesses, that will determine whether we stagnate or not.

If you think thousands will come flooding back because we’re playing Walsall and Grimsby instead of Kidderminster and Spennymoor, then you’re living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. Last time we were in League Two, our attendances declined. Hardly the land of milk and honey you’re making out.

Remember, on three occasions a single benefactor plunged us into turmoil. And now, on a week it’s happened to another club, you wanted us to return to that? Give your empty head a wobble.

If you want someone to spunk money around for quick victories and promotions, I suggest you start supporting Spenny. I don’t see why we should put the club at risk because you’re too impatient to do things sensibly. And leaving the club at the whim of one businessman is an almighty risk.

But until anyone comes forward, it’s all moot and irrelevant anyway. We’re not changing it because there’s no one out there to invest. And we have the mechanism for them to do so anyway without putting ourselves at risk any more.

So unless you know of anyone rich enough and willing to come forward, your argument is empty waffle.
But if anyone came forward hey would be scared off by the 'not at our club' brigade, and I'm not talking about Singh here I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole. We were getting 3,500 on average at Feethams in div 2 and that's where what we should be getting as a club. If we don't aspire to it then the 1300 will dwindle slowly over he next 5-10 years. It takes money to get up the pyramid, we were a big fish in the northern league with a budget to match. But without investment now we will never get back to the efl, give your head a wobble lad.
We can aspire all we want, and we do, but it has to be sustainable. Sugar daddy funding is not sustainable or reliable. I'd love to see us back in the FL, but not at any cost. I'd much rather DFC spent the next 100 years bouncing between NL and NLN on a completely sustainable footing, than go hell for leather for five or 10 years in the EFL and then go the way of Bury because a Singh de nos jours has pulled the plug. You say you've supported DFC for 35 years. You appear to have learned nothing from the past 15.

Darlo_lad
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo_lad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm

someone has a different opinion from the usual view on here and everyone is keen to shut them down. Its that attitude that would scare off any potemtial investor. 100 years in the NLN?? that's ambition for you.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11731
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm

And since Reynolds, has anyone other than the fans and sponsors put in a significant amount of money into the club?

Houghton and Singh just took out loans against the stadium and club, which they then failed to keep up payments on, leaving the debt with the club, which we then cleared as fans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

biccynana
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by biccynana » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:11 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm
someone has a different opinion from the usual view on here and everyone is keen to shut them down. Its that attitude that would scare off any potemtial investor. 100 years in the NLN?? that's ambition for you.
Well we've got along quite happily for most of the past 136 years trundling along in the 3rd or 4th tier. We now find ourselves a bit lower than that. Big deal. We'll bounce around at that kind of level for some time as we always have done. Would you rather have a football club that lasts 100 years playing at that level, or one that has a few seasons in the 'promised land' of the lower reaches of the FL then goes pop because some rich guy has got bored with his plaything?

biccynana
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by biccynana » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:13 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm
someone has a different opinion from the usual view on here and everyone is keen to shut them down. Its that attitude that would scare off any potemtial investor. 100 years in the NLN?? that's ambition for you.
We've got a funny way of shutting you down haven't we: engaging with you and debating the issue.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 am

biccynana wrote:
Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm
someone has a different opinion from the usual view on here and everyone is keen to shut them down. Its that attitude that would scare off any potemtial investor. 100 years in the NLN?? that's ambition for you.
We've got a funny way of shutting you down haven't we: engaging with you and debating the issue.
Come to the conclusion this guy is a troll.

Too much hyperbole, repeats his “I’ve been a Darlo fan for 35 years” way too much, as if he’s trying too hard. Has admitted no one is there with money, ignores that the mechanism is there for people to invest. Pops on to a thread about one man destroying a club and with a new account calls for the same for us.

Claims to have been a fan for 35 years but has no sense or acknowledgement about our last 15 years. Acknowledges there’s no investor waiting but insists we change the entire fundamentals of our club anyway. He’s now starting to make insults about the entire fan base. Just repeats his own points than engaging with counter arguments.

This is someone on a wind up. Whoever this is, they’ve never been to a Darlo game in their life.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_lad
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlo_lad » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:35 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 am
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm
someone has a different opinion from the usual view on here and everyone is keen to shut them down. Its that attitude that would scare off any potemtial investor. 100 years in the NLN?? that's ambition for you.
We've got a funny way of shutting you down haven't we: engaging with you and debating the issue.
Come to the conclusion this guy is a troll.

Too much hyperbole, repeats his “I’ve been a Darlo fan for 35 years” way too much, as if he’s trying too hard. Has admitted no one is there with money, ignores that the mechanism is there for people to invest. Pops on to a thread about one man destroying a club and with a new account calls for the same for us.

Claims to have been a fan for 35 years but has no sense or acknowledgement about our last 15 years. Acknowledges there’s no investor waiting but insists we change the entire fundamentals of our club anyway. He’s now starting to make insults about the entire fan base. Just repeats his own points than engaging with counter arguments.

This is someone on a wind up. Whoever this is, they’ve never been to a Darlo game in their life.

That's unbelievable how am i a troll. I go every week and have since Cyril Knowles. I only mentioned how long I'd been a fan after being accused of never having been to a match (an accusation you have just repeated). How did you want me to respond? I have an opinion based on all those years suporting , just because I haven't been on here before or because it's not the same as others view on this thread doesn't make it not valid. Fans have different opinions on players and the club you hear them every week at games. My point is unless we are open to the right kind of investment we will never progress. Some are happy with that, i want more. I've supported them since i was a kid, it's where i was first took to by my dad and grandad, it's my home town team. The last 15 years have taught us we have to be careful who we get to invest but since we now run the club we can be. We just need to be open to the idea. Anyway you're not going to change my opinion and I'm not going to change yours. Enjoy your day.
Last edited by Darlo_lad on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:54 am

And as someone else has quite rightly pointed out, once you relinquish control, you might have Brad Groves taking over, but you have no control over subsequent sales, and a Singh, Cala or Dale might take over the club. You might enjoy 5 great years, then go pop again. Short termism is rarely a good outlook to have.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 am

Darlo_lad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 am
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm
someone has a different opinion from the usual view on here and everyone is keen to shut them down. Its that attitude that would scare off any potemtial investor. 100 years in the NLN?? that's ambition for you.
We've got a funny way of shutting you down haven't we: engaging with you and debating the issue.
Come to the conclusion this guy is a troll.

Too much hyperbole, repeats his “I’ve been a Darlo fan for 35 years” way too much, as if he’s trying too hard. Has admitted no one is there with money, ignores that the mechanism is there for people to invest. Pops on to a thread about one man destroying a club and with a new account calls for the same for us.

Claims to have been a fan for 35 years but has no sense or acknowledgement about our last 15 years. Acknowledges there’s no investor waiting but insists we change the entire fundamentals of our club anyway. He’s now starting to make insults about the entire fan base. Just repeats his own points than engaging with counter arguments.

This is someone on a wind up. Whoever this is, they’ve never been to a Darlo game in their life.

That's unbelievable how am i a troll. I go every week and have since Cyril Knowles. I only mentioned how long I'd been a fan after being accused of never having been to a match (an accusation you have just repeated). How did you want me to respond? I have an opinion based on all those years suporting , just because I haven't been on here before or because it's not the same as others view on this thread doesn't make it not valid. Fans have different opinions on players and the club you hear them every week at games. My point is unless we are open to the right kind of investment we will never progress. Some are happy with that, i want more. I've supported them since i was a kid, it's where i was first took to by my dad and grandad, it's my home town team. The last 15 years have taught us we have to be careful who we get to invest but since we now run the club we can be. We just need to be open to the idea. Anyway you're not going to change my opinion and I'm not going to change yours. Enjoy your day.
Everything of the last 15 years tells us handing over to one person in search of quick wins doesn’t work. Three times it’s happened to us and you want it to happen again.

You’re monumentally deluded if you think young fans are staying away because we’re not in League 2. Games against Scunthorpe, Stevenage and Morecambe aren’t going get them flocking in. Our attendances declined last time we were in League Two. It isn’t the paradise you say.

If someone wants to invest, they can invest. But changing our structure, which has led us to a period of comparative financial stability, would be reckless.

Anyway, I still don’t believe you’re an actual Darlington fan. Too much banging on about how long you’ve supported the club. You’re trying way too hard.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by loan_star » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:10 am

Darlo_lad wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 pm
We were getting 3,500 on average at Feethams in div 2 and that's where what we should be getting as a club. If we don't aspire to it then the 1300 will dwindle slowly over he next 5-10 years.
If you are saying we averaged 3500 in division 2 I presume you mean the old division 3? The season after we won promotion.
The following season we were getting around 1500 towards the end of the season as we bombed out that league.
For the majority of my time following Darlo, and that’s similar to you, we have never averaged 3500, and in most seasons at feethams, 2000 was considered a big crowd.

Post Reply