Ben Hedley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1607
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am

Back in the day we used to have "utility players". Paul Madeley of Leeds United played everywhere except keeper! He wore every shirt 2-11. It's not unusual for players to able to fill different roles. Gary Brown was okay in goal.

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:30 pm

True, but you wouldn't have played Browny there for the whole season.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by loan_star » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Rob Purdie is probably a better example of a player that can play anywhere in midfield as well as both full backs. And you could probably play him in any of those positions all season and he would never let you down.

JE93
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by JE93 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:05 pm

loan_star wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:37 pm
Rob Purdie is probably a better example of a player that can play anywhere in midfield as well as both full backs. And you could probably play him in any of those positions all season and he would never let you down.
Could probably use Tom Elliott from last season as a more recent example too. thought he was a tidy little utility player, decent enough as cover for CM or FB. Not in the same league a Purdie mind, one of my favourite ever in a Darlo shirt.

H1987
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by H1987 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Purdie was a lower league John O'Shea.

Thing is, you can get guys who can play multiple positions, but they usually do have one position they are better in. Omar didn't look comfortable positionally at right back. You might be able to teach it, but not overnight.

onewayup
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by onewayup » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Ok gramps I stand corrected,

MCFCDarlo3
Posts: 693
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City
Location: Manchester

Ben Hedley

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:08 am

Thought he looked good yesterday.Positive signing for me.

Beano
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:45 pm

I'd like to see Cam Holliday get a few minutes, but AA may want to ease him in with a little less pressure.

OnTheTerraces
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:51 pm

If Headley has been signed to play in midfield I’d expect to see Bascome made surplus to requirements. Well have so many centre midfielders it’s a joke.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2738
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:If Headley has been signed to play in midfield I’d expect to see Bascome made surplus to requirements. Well have so many centre midfielders it’s a joke.
We need all players , it doesn't matter where they play, we cant afford to get rid at the moment in our current situation... Moon man

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


H1987
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 am

You'd expect Bascome, who has been very good this season, to be surplus to requirements? Weird thought process.

I'll be surprised if Hedley has been signed with the intention of playing him in midfield, regardless of where he was used on Saturday. It does strike me a little odd, as his designated positions overlap with Atkinson... which makes me wonder about the severity of Atkinson's injury.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by D_F_C » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am

my understanding is that Headley is on non-contract terms. If he isn't good enough then we can get rid. If we want to keep him, then we can offer him more. Sensible approach to me

jjljks
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by jjljks » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:31 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am
Back in the day we used to have "utility players". Paul Madeley of Leeds United played everywhere except keeper! He wore every shirt 2-11. It's not unusual for players to able to fill different roles. Gary Brown was okay in goal.
Madeley was a better keeper than Sprake!

norwich darlo
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ben Hedley

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:31 pm
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am
Back in the day we used to have "utility players". Paul Madeley of Leeds United played everywhere except keeper! He wore every shirt 2-11. It's not unusual for players to able to fill different roles. Gary Brown was okay in goal.
Madeley was a better keeper than Sprake!
My Cat was a better keeper than Sprake!

Post Reply