Gloucester V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gloucester V Darlington

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 am

Vital we get Liddle back and hopefully Atkinson to get us more solid defensively as it's crazy how easy it is to score against us.Exactly the same yesterday, not closing down and far too easily knocked off the ball.Also have Donawa and Bascombe available which makes things much easier for AA so let's try and break York's unbeaten record.They have drawn the last 2 so let's have a go at them.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am

tdk1 wrote:He was a key part of our highest placed team since demotion so he can't have been that bad. His spirit would be welcome if nothing else.

However, did I read he had a heart scare at shields? Is he still playing?
Yes he scored last week

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 am

Started well as in every away game, we dont score and the other team do.The confidence seems to drain out of us into them.

As one of the lads I went with also said when they scored no one handed out a bollocking on the pitch, we need a leader, a big brute of a CB.I would put into a fund just for that!

As someone said earlier I have lost count of the amount of crossfield balls we play, its so obvious, variation needed.

On a positive note Hatfield worked his knackers off again and I like Hedley, big lad who can play a bit and likes to push forward.I honestly cant fault the effort the players showed.Omar got some stick but hes not a RB ffs.

Think we need to be patient, AA will get it right I am sure.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:11 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 am
Think we need to be patient, AA will get it right I am sure.
:clap: :clap:

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:32 am

If we can eventually get Atkinson and Liddle both fit plus a striker in on loan to give us a different option up front I think we will do ok. When O’Neil went off at half time we just weren’t the same team.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:55 am

AA has been desperately unlucky with injuries and the likes of Trotman,Holmes,Atkinson and Liddle are 4 key players who are just not easily replaced.Agreed that patience is key and hopefully we could have 4 players available for the York game, if Liddle and Atkinson are fit I would put these 2 at full back and give Hedley a try in midfield if he has a physical presence about him.
Still early days, this league is wide open so thank god the midweek games are finished and we can get lads fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 pm

York have injury problems too, in fact they only had 4 players on the bench yesterday, and didn't play particularly well.

If we put in a good battling display next Saturday we can beat them
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 pm

We might not have gained the results we'd all like to see but there is no doubt we have a better squad, better morale, a clearer style of play and we look a much better team.

We've been unfortunate that, arguably, our two best players, Trotman and Liddell, have been injured simultaneously, especially as the full-backs are key to the way AA wants to play.

I've seen more than enough improvement so far to for AA to have my trust. As said above, now the midweek games are settling down and we can rest and train the players more effectively, we will pick up more points accordingly.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:41 pm

We played with Trotman and Liddle in the first game of the season and conceded three goals!

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 pm

It seems like players who don’t play suddenly become world beaters.

Atkinson in the middle means will have Wheatley, Homless, Bascome and Hedley as reserve centre midfielders and no recognised right back at the club who is fit.

Laing needs dropping, He’s too soft. I don’t care if he can play these long balls. I’d much prefer him to defend properly. He’s so weak for a big lad, Tez is a much better defender.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:19 pm

We have been very unfortunate with injuries but this is a much grimmer start than I was expecting - particularly away from home where we simply look more like conceding than scoring.
I don't live in Darlington so tend to go to more away games than home - perhaps thats why I am feeling more pessimistic than those who are seeing better showings at home.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:25 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 pm
It seems like players who don’t play suddenly become world beaters.

Atkinson in the middle means will have Wheatley, Homless, Bascome and Hedley as reserve centre midfielders and no recognised right back at the club who is fit.

Laing needs dropping, He’s too soft. I don’t care if he can play these long balls. I’d much prefer him to defend properly. He’s so weak for a big lad, Tez is a much better defender.
And according to you Heaton is a worse player than Burn so what’s your solution Einstein?

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:37 pm

I’d peddle Heaton, Holness, Hedley and get a proper right back and centre forward. If we could get shot of Laing to I would and bring in a new centre back.

Watson can cover centre back and full backs and Bascome and Wheatley can cover Atkinson and Hatfield.

Not difficult.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:37 pm
I’d peddle Heaton, Holness, Hedley and get a proper right back and centre forward. If we could get shot of Laing to I would and bring in a new centre back.

Watson can cover centre back and full backs and Bascome and Wheatley can cover Atkinson and Hatfield.

Not difficult.
Fortunately we have a manager who believes in the players he signed, players who proved they could do the job elsewhere already (or with us as Heaton has done) than rely on a fan who gives these players a month of the season before wanting rid of them. Did you not hear Armstrong say this was a rebuilding season and not to rush to judge these players? So much for taking notice of him!

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.
And who is taking these players? And who is available for us to buy? And with what budget? I think Laing has improved a lot since I slated him after the Gateshead game, Campbell has 5 goals, Rivers looks handy and Hatfield is my new man-crush.

Results haven’t been brilliant but no one in their right mind would have predicted us storming this league. AA has done well to get a balanced squad and get us playing more attractive football. As a fan I prefer it to last Tommy’s tenure.

It’s 1 month into a new season with a new squad and management team. We’ve been unlucky with injuries / international call ups. Our goals for and against isn’t out of sync with the majority of the league, we just need to be better at managing games which will come with the fact the team can now train together without having such a hectic fixture list. Hopefully we get a break in regards to injuries and the team can settle. I’d still be happy with a top half finish this season.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:22 pm

I never slated Rivers, Hatfield or Thompson or even Elliott, Watson, Liddle, Bascome, Donawa, O’Neill, Bell, Holmes or Campbell!!

I merely pointed out the squad is very lopsided and we have two under performing centre halfs.

Why is everyone so touchy?

I’m sure Blyth would have any of those players.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:24 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.
You would get rid of a player we signed 4days ago :lol:
Outstanding fella,outstanding.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:24 pm
OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.
Because he’s being played in midfield... we have 5 central midfielders and 0 right backs!!

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:55 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm
Emdubya wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.

Because he’s being played in midfield... we have 5 central midfielders and 0 right backs!!

Calm down John! Everything will work out for the best - I’m AA we trust

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:It seems like players who don’t play suddenly become world beaters.

Your a fucking moon man Laing is a decent player...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:55 pm
OnTheTerraces wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.

My name is Gary not John.

I’m sure it will work out but I’m wondering why we have no right back.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Because of injuries. That’s the nature of this level of football.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:35 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:19 pm
Lallacab wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:55 pm
OnTheTerraces wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.

My name is Gary not John.

I’m sure it will work out but I’m wondering why we have no right back.
Ok John 😂

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm
OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.
Fortunately we have a manager who believes in the players he signed, players who proved they could do the job elsewhere already (or with us as Heaton has done) than rely on a fan who gives these players a month of the season before wanting rid of them. Did you not hear Armstrong say this was a rebuilding season and not to rush to judge these players? So much for taking notice of him!
Well, as much as I think he is a good player, Campbell has not proven he could do a job as a centre forward anywhere. The idea that he can seems to be an act of faith on AA's behalf.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 pm

In a struggling team (for a number of reasons especially the injuries) it's pretty impressive to score a goal every two games. I'm really not sure what some people were expecting this season even before all the injury/international call ups issues. I'm pretty ambivalent this season but looking forward to a settled side and a fully fit squad to choose from. And a cup run, of course.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:20 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm
OnTheTerraces wrote:

Not difficult.
Well, as much as I think he is a good player, Campbell has not proven he could do a job as a centre forward anywhere. The idea that he can seems to be an act of faith on AA's behalf.
5 in 10 is a very good start for a striker who has been played out of position for the last couple of years. Styche averaged 1 in 2 and everyone seemed to love him.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:49 am

Campbell is quite different type of player & does a lot of pressing. So long as he keeps hitting the net regularly, we have to start him in the team. Styche had a selfish streak & not always looking interested but then smashing in a spectacular goal. A bit of a luxury given the money we paid him.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am

Yarblockos wrote:

And a 1 in 2 record for us this season so far seems to be backing up Armstrong's faith in him as a goalscorer

He does seem at his best when he has someone to hold the ball up alongside him. The only player we have like that is O'Neill. Armstrong has mentioned the need for a physical striker before, so at least he's aware of that gap in the squad. It's not been a great start to the season, but (unlike last season) I'm confident that the manager knows what needs to be done to sort it out. It'll just take some time (and money) to sort out. Now that the (ridiculous) start to the season is over there may be more scope for squad reshuffles.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:20 am

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am
Yarblockos wrote:

And a 1 in 2 record for us this season so far seems to be backing up Armstrong's faith in him as a goalscorer

He does seem at his best when he has someone to hold the ball up alongside him. The only player we have like that is O'Neill. Armstrong has mentioned the need for a physical striker before, so at least he's aware of that gap in the squad. It's not been a great start to the season, but (unlike last season) I'm confident that the manager knows what needs to be done to sort it out. It'll just take some time (and money) to sort out. Now that the (ridiculous) start to the season is over there may be more scope for squad reshuffles.
I note you say Campbell is a goalscorer, but not that he is a centre forward. Tommo has 4 goals, he is also a goalscorer, but he is not a centre forward either. It's a very different role. There is a reason we don't score simple goals . A physical striker (a centre forward) who can get on the end of crosses, can make the right runs, and can muscle his way to a chance would make a world of difference to this team and give us so many more options than we have with at the moment. We need to be over elaborate with a small technical player like Campbell up front.
Last edited by Yarblockos on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 am

Double post
Last edited by Yarblockos on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.