Away to Trafford in the FA Cup

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Away to Trafford in the FA Cup

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 pm

I did have an impulsive thought-could you do Irlam v York then rush over to Urmston/Flixton for 3 but it's too tricky. I remember a mate going to Portsmouth v Bristol Rovers then Exeter's game many years ago. Anyone else done a double?

polam lane

Post by polam lane » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:56 am

September 18th 1982.

Exeter City v Preston North End (3.00 pm Kick off) 5-1

Torquay United v Darlington (7.30 or 7.45pm Kick off) 1-0

I seem to remember we had someone sent off.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:51 am

Think Alun Armstrong pretty much summarised how I saw the game yesterday.

Technically thought we looked really good, O’Neill was a fantastic outlet for us it will be interesting where his career goes as he is effective but he also looks incredibly awkward.

1. We looked a bit timid at times and felt we could have taken more risks and been more brave. Wheatley seemed happy to just stand in acres of space and play the safe ball when we could have done with trying a few riskier ones and perhaps trusted our ability.

2. The ball doesn’t half have a habit of staying “not cleared” in our penalty area. There were a number of times in both halves where it just seemed to get stuck there without anyone of our defenders just accepting that if on of our own players got in the way they would be cleared out with the ball.

3. Rivers didn’t seem to be able to get up to full pace at all. I suspect this was down to the Trafford set up and defenders happy to just track him back.

4. Our final deliver into the box from wide areas was poor except for the goals we did score. Thommo showed we don’t need big players to score in those scenarios we just need a dangerous ball which leaves a defender stuck underneath it and an attacker going toward it.

A few of these things were perhaps determined by the opposition. I guess week in week out we won’t have the luxury of the time and space given to us and won’t be given quite as much respect. It makes it quite hard to almost take much from yesterday into the next league game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:58 am

Job done, no more injuries & through to next round, something Messrs Gray & White did not achieve. Decent turn-out by DAFTS. Well done everyone, fingers crossed for a decent home draw on Monday. :clap: :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:15 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:58 am
Job done, no more injuries & through to next round, something Messrs Gray & White did not achieve. Decent turn-out by DAFTS. Well done everyone, fingers crossed for a decent home draw on Monday. :clap: :thumbup:
Apart from Thommo, who struggled to get off the pitch.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 pm
I did have an impulsive thought-could you do Irlam v York then rush over to Urmston/Flixton for 3 but it's too tricky. I remember a mate going to Portsmouth v Bristol Rovers then Exeter's game many years ago. Anyone else done a double?
I ran a team in Essex many moons ago on the Saturday we had a home game and our reserves were playing 2 miles down the road my star striker asked if he could play for the reserves against his old team after a chat in the bar! he played the first half for me and at half time made his way to the reserves game he scored in both the league were not happy but no rules had been breached.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
I ran a team in Essex many moons ago on the Saturday we had a home game and our reserves were playing 2 miles down the road my star striker asked if he could play for the reserves against his old team after a chat in the bar! he played the first half for me and at half time made his way to the reserves game he scored in both the league were not happy but no rules had been breached.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Double vision🤣

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:30 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:56 pm
Double vision🤣
Or did Norwich just run two teams.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Done 2 games a day on many occasions.

The first was August 9th 1980.

Me and my mate got the train to Sheffield and went to Hillsborough to watch Sheff Wed play Sheff Utd in the league cup first round first leg, which was an 11am kick off.
When that finished, we hot footed it down to the station to catch a train to Chesterfield, where we watched a 3pm kick off between Chesterfield and Darlo, again in the league cup first round first leg.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Anybody seen Darlo play twice in two days? I remember two away games in two days at the end of the 85-86 season. Derby and Brentford I think, both defeats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm
Anybody seen Darlo play twice in two days? I remember two away games in two days at the end of the 85-86 season. Derby and Brentford I think, both defeats?

After the appalling winter during the season 1962/3 when we did not play a game between boxing day and the end of February there were many games to catch up. We played 3 games in 4 days. Away to Oldham on 12th April, home to Mansfield Town on 13th April and reverse fixture against Oldham two days later. I could have seen them 3 times in 4 days but did not go to the away match. I expect some must have seen all three.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:21 pm

banktopp wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm
Quaker85 wrote:

After the appalling winter during the season 1962/3 when we did not play a game between boxing day and the end of February there were many games to catch up. We played 3 games in 4 days. Away to Oldham on 12th April, home to Mansfield Town on 13th April and reverse fixture against Oldham two days later. I could have seen them 3 times in 4 days but did not go to the away match. I expect some must have seen all three.
73/4 season during miners strike & 3 day week, on 3 occasions Darlington played on Saturday and Sunday as was floodlights ban.

Also up until mid or late 80s. It was common to play on Good Friday & Easter Saturday as well as Easter Monday, so 3 games in 4 days

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:09 pm

I now recall two home games in two days in the 84-85 promotion season. March 85 I think. Home to Exeter in the league on Saturday and the next day v Halifax in the Freight Rover Trophy. 2-1 and 7-0 wins if memory serves.

polam

Post by polam » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:04 pm

Quaker85 wrote:

Brentford (a) 5th May 1986 (lost 2-1) then Notts County (a) 6th May (lost that one 5-0). Line up v Notts was:
1. Mike Astbury
2. Paul Ward
3. Gary Morgan
4. Mike Sanderson
5. Graeme Aldred
6. Phil Lloyd
7. Alan Roberts
8. Dave Woodcock
9. Carl Airey
10. John Douglas *
11. Peter Robinson
Sub: John Huntley *

Darlo My Darlo

Post by Darlo My Darlo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:00 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Yes, it was an American burger from Wendy's though.