Darlo v York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v York

Post by JE93 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Hopefully be a good crowd in BM for it. York are reporting they've sold 450 tickets already. Not bad considering the standard of the away end. Hopefully that will mean we can get a crowd of 2400-2500+.

Can only hope a week of no games and a bit of rest will do the lads good. Add to that, the ability to have 2 training sessions focused on the game plan for York. Having Donawa and Bascombe will atleast help the bench look a little more able and we can keep our fingers crossed that we have Liddle back from injury too. Think O'Neill just took a knock to the head on Saturday so hoping he was only taken off as a precaution bit of soreness etc.

Hard to guess the team without knowing who will be fit for it. Definitely need someone who can play solidly at RB, apparently David Ferguson has had a storming start to the season for them, by the end of August he'd assisted half of their goals from the left wing. They seem to have their own injury worries coming into it. Burrows has been carrying a knock and McGuire, McNulty, McLaughlin all injured currently (not sure if they're back for saturday). plus Bond (another of their CM's I think) is suspended for saturday.

They're still my favourites for the league title. A point wouldn't be a bad result, but we've actually been decent at home. On our home form we'd be 8th in the league, shame we have to play away too. But, on paper Southport looked like a tough game, came having not conceded a goal and they were professionally dispatched earlier in the season. So I have hope, dont think we've seen this team fully click yet, partly down to the juggling with injuries. If we get our noses infront think we can be a tough team to play against just all about taking one of those early opportunities when they come.

jjljks

Re: Darlo v York

Post by jjljks » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Just hope we don't do the usual in front of a big crowd at home and put in a lame display. Will have to be at our best to take any points off York, but anything is possible with this squad ;)

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm

It's definitely possible to beat York on Saturday but if we don't I hope the discontent glimpsed on other threads doesn't build because my opinion is that despite not being much better off than this time last year we are in a much improved place and have had poor luck. We are fitter and look much more interested. My main gripe last season was that the management seemed to turn out badly trained and unmotivated sides and it seemed to take so long for them to address this. I can't see this happening with AA who has always stressed patience and realism instead of daft talk of the play offs. I think he's the genuine article and should be supported even if we don't often get our noses above half way much this season. If there's a cup run maybe we can buy a Gary Brabin centre half and still play good football. If not it'll just take a bit longer. You may say I'm a dreamer ....

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm

If we can put away half the chances that are created instead of fannying around the opposition area ,by that I mean impose our selfs on the game with commitment and self belief to actually put the ball into the net, then I think we have as good a chance of getting the points as York. Defence must be awake to their forwards cutting through the middle.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:48 pm

554 tickets now sold for the York end. Decent effort. What's the capacity of that side of the ground? Is it 600 or 800?

Hopefully fair few darlo fans will be down too. Would do wonders for cashflow if we could have 2500+ down at BM. Especially if we can get a FA cup bonus the following weekend too.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 pm

JE93 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:48 pm
554 tickets now sold for the York end. Decent effort. What's the capacity of that side of the ground? Is it 600 or 800?

Hopefully fair few darlo fans will be down too. Would do wonders for cashflow if we could have 2500+ down at BM. Especially if we can get a FA cup bonus the following weekend too.
To be honest it’s more than a decent effort as they are well aware of the s*** view a fair few of them will be restricted to.
As you say,if the Darlo floaters turn up it will be a good pay day for the club.And 3points would be even better.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Does the early bird season ticket still include two half price match tickets for friends etc. like it did last season?

I have a couple of mates interested in coming to the York game that's all.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 pm
Does the early bird season ticket still include two half price match tickets for friends etc. like it did last season?

No, not this year.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm

divas wrote::evil:
Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 pm

No, not this year.
Ah well hopefully they’ll still come along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Apologies for the evil emoji - not sure what happened there!!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Re Hodgie’s pre match Q and A session, I wonder if anyone will quiz him on Singh’s failed takeover attempt and his part in it- or would this prove to be a little controversial.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:57 pm
Re Hodgie’s pre match Q and A session, I wonder if anyone will quiz him on Singh’s failed takeover attempt and his part in it- or would this prove to be a little controversial.
More like Pointless

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
More like Pointless
Surely that is hosted by a different Armstrong?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm

en passant wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 am
jjljks wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
More like Pointless
:lol:
Am disappointed our AA is not teaching the lads, New Tricks

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:22 pm

York's injury problems are causing them worry, causing a cancellation of a midweek practice game, from the yorkpress web site ---

"Early-season casualties Paddy McLaughlin and Dan Maguire were joined in the treatment room by Steve McNulty two weeks ago, while striker Jordan Burrow was left out of Saturday’s squad with a calf injury. Josh King has missed the last two games, with fellow defenders Joe Tait - who played much of Saturday with a facial injury - and Sean Newton feeling the effects of the weekend’s game."
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:31 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm
en passant wrote:
jjljks wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
More like Pointless
He couldn't, he was busy taking one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:51 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:31 pm
jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm
en passant wrote:
jjljks wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
More like Pointless
He couldn't, he was busy taking one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.
Thought the Moon landing never happened...……………..here we go is Fylde FC on the coast?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:York's injury problems are causing them worry, causing a cancellation of a midweek practice game, from the yorkpress web site ---

"Early-season casualties Paddy McLaughlin and Dan Maguire were joined in the treatment room by Steve McNulty two weeks ago, while striker Jordan Burrow was left out of Saturday’s squad with a calf injury. Josh King has missed the last two games, with fellow defenders Joe Tait - who played much of Saturday with a facial injury - and Sean Newton feeling the effects of the weekend’s game."
They will still cause us problems or is it we will cause us problems, I can't decideImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Set pieces are my main worry, they have some big lads but if we can get some of our injured lads back I think we could get a point at least from this game.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:07 pm
Set pieces are my main worry, they have some big lads but if we can get some of our injured lads back I think we could get a point at least from this game.

Be the toughest game by far. Think they will win the league easily.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:32 pm

I think we’ll win this one, we need our wingers to track back and help our full backs. Thommo and Rivers have a lot of work to do in this one.

Not sure whether to keep Wheatley or reinstate Bascome, tough call that one.

I’d hope Hedley goes to right back now he’s had time to train with the squad.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 pm

From friends who are york fans, Southport did the business on them by keeping Ferguson quiet as he appears to be the main provider of goal chances for them, which restricted the opportunities that York had. Could do with McNulty out for another week too as he is the lynch pin for them and an organiser at the back, , and not adverse to being a little "physical" with his elbows etc as well, and as we know we struggle against physical teams. Jamerson is playing out of his skin as well so will be a difficult game.

Still let's just hope the team have their confidence built up before the game and have a good go at them, as they are capable of letting a few goals in and a bit of luck goes our way.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 pm

...............Elliott

Hedley Laing Galbraith Watson

.......Bascome Hatfield

Donowa ...Campbell.... Rivers

..............O'Neill

Subs: Holliday, Holness, Thompson, Wheatley, Bell

Is personally how I would go. I have a feeling he might persevere with Omar at right back, and prefer Thommo to Donowa. Personally, I don't think Omar is really comfortable at right back, and Donowa looks sharper to me. So i'd go with the above. As i've said many times as well, i'd like to see O'Neill as the most advanced of the two forwards, with Campbell just off him. We seem to continually play the other way around, and it's baffling to me.

That's still a pretty good looking bench, although the lack of defensive cover isn't the best.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Liddle might well be back for this one.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Liddle might well be back for this one.
AA seemed a bit down in his interview Adam when discussing injuries and only mentioned Bascombe and Donawa returning so not looking great regarding Liddle and Atkinson

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Darlo v York

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Wish I could do this but some long trips recently. Should be a great game.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 am

H1987 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 pm
...............Elliott

.......Bascome Hatfield

..............O'Neill

Is personally how I would go.
FFS, just FFS

Here we go again. Do people do this to wind me up, or are people just not capable of understanding that we are playing two forwards so the pre-season 4-2-3-1 with Campbell as the only forward is out of the window?

Two forwards on the pitch at the same time = 4-4-2

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 am
H1987 wrote:
...............Elliott

.......Bascome Hatfield

..............O'Neill

FFS, just FFS

Here we go again. Do people do this to wind me up, or are people just not capable of understanding that we are playing two forwards so the pre-season 4-2-3-1 with Campbell as the only forward is out of the window?

I hear Hedley picked up an injury at training last night so is doubtful for tomorrow. Maybe HAVE to throw Holliday in for lack of numbers? Unless Omar is played at RB again, whoever plays will have to be on top form against an in-form Ferguson.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 am
H1987 wrote:
...............Elliott

.......Bascome Hatfield

..............O'Neill

FFS, just FFS

Look, i know you've got a bee in your bonnet about this, but absolutely everyone can see one forward is clearly more advanced than the other in this formation (right now, it's Campbell, for whatever reason). The wingers are also clearly more advanced than in a standard 4-4-2. We can agree you disagree if you like, but you are wrong, and no amount of sulking about it on a weekly basis is going to change my, or others minds.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am

H1987 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 am
Look, i know you've got a bee in your bonnet about this, but absolutely everyone can see one forward is clearly more advanced than the other in this formation (right now, it's Campbell, for whatever reason). The wingers are also clearly more advanced than in a standard 4-4-2. We can agree you disagree if you like, but you are wrong, and no amount of sulking about it on a weekly basis is going to change my, or others minds.
Having one forward more advanced than another is not against the rules in a 4-4-2 and doesn't make it another formation as much as you try and imagine so. Two forwards do not need to identical or tied to each other in a small area. The difference between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 is simple, the former has 2 forwards, the latter has 1, and an attacking midfielder.

The wingers just look like wingers to me - they attack, they track back. What is this "more advanced than in a standard 4-4-2" nonsense that you speak of?

Are we a 0-2-3-1, because we can't defend?

And as for the last bolded bit - I'm not sulking, I'm not wrong, I'm simply calling out formation snobs who think they know better with all their bullshit, trendy, en vogue formations that they think we're playing - but which don't match observed reality.

We've been playing a 4-4-2 most of the season and that was particularly obvious in the last home match v Blyth.

So, in conclusion - I think you are as wrong as you think I am, but there is only one real truth.