Josh Heaton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Josh Heaton

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 pm

On his way already according to the Echo.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... ref=twtrec

I was hoping it would be Burn when I saw the headline. Maybe AA needs to free up budget for a striker?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

real_darlo_85
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by real_darlo_85 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:37 pm

It's a shame as I don't think he has been given a fair crack this time around, although the St Mirren stint may have had more of a negative effect on his ability than we thought.

As for freeing up funds for a striker, well it does refer to this in the article.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:44 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:It's a shame as I don't think he has been given a fair crack this time around, although the St Mirren stint may have had more of a negative effect on his ability than we thought.

As for freeing up funds for a striker, well it does refer to this in the article.
Does it?

I’ve read it a few times and I can’t see where it says Josh is leaving because we need money for a striker. It does say that AA is finding it difficult to to the availability of the type of player he wants but budget constraints are not cited as a reason.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1746
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:44 pm

With Burn out of favour who comes in at CB if Laing or Tez get injured? Don't think Jordan Watson has played there

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


The Golden Hairclip
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Watson can play CB so can Atkinson (subject to fitness)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Difficult to know what to make of this really. Had an absolute mare against Kings Lynn, but then everyone has a bad game, and as the article states, AA did refer to him personally in the post match interview and he was dropped for Blyth for Galbraith to return despite Tez not being 100% fit for Blyth. However, he was immense against Southport when he came on and we played 5 at the back.

His strength is heading away high balls. He could do that all day long. He always did have a weakness when defending balls through the middle and even in his first spell he had a big mistake per game in him, they just didn't always get punished.

On the face of it an interesting decision, but then I'm not party to behind the scenes like AA is and trust his decisions.

spen666
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:08 pm
Difficult to know what to make of this really. Had an absolute mare against Kings Lynn, but then everyone has a bad game, and as the article states, AA did refer to him personally in the post match interview and he was dropped for Blyth for Galbraith to return despite Tez not being 100% fit for Blyth. However, he was immense against Southport when he came on and we played 5 at the back.

His strength is heading away high balls. He could do that all day long. He always did have a weakness when defending balls through the middle and even in his first spell he had a big mistake per game in him, they just didn't always get punished.

On the face of it an interesting decision, but then I'm not party to behind the scenes like AA is and trust his decisions.


I wondered reading the article if the fact he is "Preston based" has played a part in the decision.

jjljks
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by jjljks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 am

Could he not just play those away games we have in Lancashire?
Where has Heaton gone?
Did we get any money for the transfer or even swapped him for a massive goalscoring CF?

Emdubya
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Emdubya » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 am
Could he not just play those away games we have in Lancashire?
Where has Heaton gone?
Did we get any money for the transfer or even swapped him for a massive goalscoring CF?
Hope that was an attempt at humour :| :|

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am

I think it would be good to keep him, but he needs game time - so get him out on loan to a club in the Preston area - he needs to get his confidence back.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

User avatar
Breedon
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Breedon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am

At this point we can safely assume Burn is going to shithouse a wage for the full season before going and finding his true level in Sunday morning football. This will be the last season we have anyone stuck on the wage bill playing this game at least. Armstrong seems to have been much more careful with contract offers than Wright or Gray were.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:40 am

Massive shame if Heaton has gone. You just don't turn into a bad player overnight.

I think St. Mirren was maybe a step to far for him too soon and has knocked his confidence. Maybe he just hasn't recovered yet.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

biccynana
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by biccynana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 am
Where has Heaton gone?
BPA

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am

We don't have any games in Lancashire.

biccynana
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by biccynana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:43 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am
We don't have any games in Lancashire.
Southport is in the ceremonial county of Lancashire.

(That sound you hear is me re-opening a can of worms ;))

jjljks
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by jjljks » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am

biccynana wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am
jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 am
Where has Heaton gone?
BPA
Did we swap him for Hedley then?

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am

Well, technically Liverpool, Manchester and Warrington were in Lancashire! Southport is actually by the sea, though.

biccynana
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by biccynana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am
Well, technically Liverpool, Manchester and Warrington were in Lancashire! Southport is actually by the sea, though.
Like Fylde :lol:

biccynana
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by biccynana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:49 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am
biccynana wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am
jjljks wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 am
Where has Heaton gone?
BPA
Did we swap him for Hedley then?
The story on the official site doesn't say so.

H1987
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by H1987 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Breedon wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am
At this point we can safely assume Burn is going to shithouse a wage for the full season before going and finding his true level in Sunday morning football. This will be the last season we have anyone stuck on the wage bill playing this game at least. Armstrong seems to have been much more careful with contract offers than Wright or Gray were.
People who play Sunday morning usually have some love of the game, if not the ability. I get the impression with Burn that football is a job he really doesn't really care for. I very rarely attack our players individually, but i really do get the impression he doesn't give a stuff. I don't mind players who try and just aren't very good, but at this level especially, coasting through and taking a wage without really trying... grinds my gears. We're definitely stuck with him.

Sad to lose Heaton, to be honest. Good luck to him.

bga
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by bga » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:40 am
Massive shame if Heaton has gone. You just don't turn into a bad player overnight.

I think St. Mirren was maybe a step to far for him too soon and has knocked his confidence. Maybe he just hasn't recovered yet.
Regards your first quote. I have seen him twice this season and he was very poor. None of us know the reasons he is not as good as when he first played for us, there are probably many. With almost a quarter of the season gone AA had to make a decision so let's back his judgement. Question if you are on non contract terms do you only get paid if you play?

OnTheTerraces
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm

He’s been doing a Jonny Burn impression all season, best to get rid of him and move on.

It will be Bascome or Holness next, one of them won’t make the bench once Atkinson and Liddle are back.

I’d say Bascome as Wheatley covers Atkinson and Holness covers Hatfield.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm

There's something not right about this whole thing, and I'm talking about from Josh Heaton's side. He approached the club close season asking to come back as he'd lost his love for the game. AA then gave him a chance and Josh said all the right things, such as he understands that he'd have to fight for his place in the team, that he knew he wasn't first choice as he'd only come at the end of the summer, that he'd be prepared to bide his time and be patient. As soon as he is dropped from the team his agent says that Josh isn't happy and operates the 7 day release clause, clearly with the agreement of Josh Heaton. So was all that stuff he said just hot air? Also, for me the travelling thing is a red herring. It wasn't a problem in his first spell.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2738
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:58 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:He’s been doing a Jonny Burn impression all season, best to get rid of him and move on.

It will be Bascome or Holness next, one of them won’t make the bench once Atkinson and Liddle are back.

I’d say Bascome as Wheatley covers Atkinson and Holness covers Hatfield.
You really don't have a clue do you.. 1st class 🛎

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Beano
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Beano » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm

It is a shame, but the one position we are overstocked in is centre backs, so it makes sense if we are freeing up budget to be used elsewhere more effectively.

No one is taking Burn and he is not going to walkaway from a lucrative contract.

quakersfan
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by quakersfan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Burn will do what most players do and that’s take advice from the PFA. It’s up to our manager AA to get Burn back to where he should be whether that’s confidence or fitness as we are still paying him a wage.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 pm

With Burn, just blame the one who handed out a two-year contract to a player who had been branded a liability during his failed loan spell at York. It’s a real mystery how TW and AW could have got this one so wrong and backed up their flawed judgement with a two-year deal. Now we’re not only carrying a wasted space in the squad (just like last season) but one who is clearly disaffected and not a great one to be hanging around the squad.

Heaton has sometimes looked poor and sometimes calamitous and I’m sure AA has also been watching things closely in training.

JE93
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by JE93 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:58 am

Sad to see Josh leave as we all know what he could be. But also respect to the lad. He's young. He wasn't playing as much as he wanted to and he's moved to a club where he could be a first choice. If only Mr Burn had such a professional mind set to picking himself up again. Also credit to Armstrong, looks like players like Heaton and Hedley have been brought in on non contract terms, rather than just handing out 1 and 2 year contracts to all.
LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 pm
With Burn, just blame the one who handed out a two-year contract to a player who had been branded a liability during his failed loan spell at York. It’s a real mystery how TW and AW could have got this one so wrong and backed up their flawed judgement with a two-year deal. Now we’re not only carrying a wasted space in the squad (just like last season) but one who is clearly disaffected and not a great one to be hanging around the squad.

Heaton has sometimes looked poor and sometimes calamitous and I’m sure AA has also been watching things closely in training.
This is an interesting one. Not many will be left on Tommy Wright money. At the end of the season we can wave goodbye to Burn and whatever % of wage we're still paying on Ainge. But also contracts will be up on other players; Trotman being one I'd be interested in. In potential terms and as a performer Trotman has been one of our best, urgo I wouldn't be surprised if he was also a top earner. Will be interesting to see if Armstrong thinks he's worth top money or whether he thinks he can find a RB as good for less and perhaps free up money elsewhere in the squad.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by divas » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 am

Big seasonfor Joe Wheatley also who is a legacy player no doubt remunerated quite well and due to injury etc we’ve not seen the best of him for a good while.

You can’t build a team over just one summer that’s why this season has always been viewed as transitional by AA. As long as we show signs of progress I’ll be happy and if he can shuffle the pack in the summer to bring in another one or two quality players in key areas I can see us kicking on

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:43 am

Beano wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm
It is a shame, but the one position we are overstocked in is centre backs
Are we?

Burn has been shunned so we have two players who normally play centre back, and two players who can cover there (Watson and Atkinson) but centre back isn't their primary position.

Two average centre backs, and a midfielder and full back who can cover in emergency is not overstocked in my book.

Now if we want to talk about overstocking, let's talk about midfielders.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Post Reply