Darlington V Boston

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

JE93
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by JE93 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Performance and result sounded really promising from the lads. Another tough test and physical side, but sounds like we played to our strengths, got their CB's moving and caused them some problems. The system change and introduction of an extra midfielder seems to have really helped us. Moved us up into the ball park part of the table I was expecting from us when we started. Hopefully we can bridge the gap and keep within a result or two to that final playoff place in 7th.

Great to get a result when missing 7 players. Now to rest up, train hard ready for a huge game against Tamworth on Saturday.

Also great to see a 1550+ attendance in there today. Adds to the positivity of the result, the FA cup results and the general bond which seems to be developing between fans and players.

al_quaker
Posts: 5392
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 pm

Ground out a win - we can certainly play a lot better, but it’s pleasing to see us being clinical and then keeping Boston at arms length. O’Neill is getting better by the week - would love to see his loan extended for the season.

I don’t get the moaning about the ref personally - thought he was ok on the whole

en passant
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by en passant » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:13 am

Given the shortage of available players this was a wonderfully unexpected result against a side that doesn't give too much away (only 10 goals against in 11 games before yesterday). Belief amongst the players is clearly growing and can survive, even when you are down to the squad's bare bones. And we have a couple of strikers who can hit the back of the net on a regular basis, which is something we haven't seen since the Styche days, Nelson's cameo apart. With Donawa also able to chip in and Thommo's ability to get better as the season goes on, there is a real possibility of being in and around the playoff scene. More looking up than down now, which is exactly what we need to get people coming to see what is going on. Last year getting dumped out of the cup and having weak home form saw the crowds fade away from the early season pick up. After 7 home games this year we have a very healthy average well above 1500, and there is something for those who went away happy yesterday to tell their friends about that will, hopefully, get a few more there as we roll on into the darker days ahead.

User avatar
Breedon
Posts: 1817
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by Breedon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:32 am

When you take into account Boston are a solid side and likely playoff contenders and our bench resembled last season with how few players we had available, the way we played and won that game was extremely impressive. We're really starting to see the character and togetherness this group has. Thoroughly outclassed them for 15 minutes, didn't panic when they nicked one back, stayed strong when Boston laid down the gauntlet of a more tough, full contact sort of game second half and ground out the win late on. Had a bit of everything and a big win in a game that a draw would have been a good result in the circumstances!

Side note, a bird s*** on me when I was walking home after the game. Since Darlo had already won before it happened, I hope the supposed good luck from that happening carries over to next week and we can make it 5 in a row and an FA Cup 1st round proper!! :D

banktopp
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:49 am

Breedon wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:32 am


Side note, a bird s*** on me when I was walking home after the game. Since Darlo had already won before it happened, I hope the supposed good luck from that happening carries over to next week and we can make it 5 in a row and an FA Cup 1st round proper!! :D
I should dump her and get a new girlfriend.

My opinion
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by My opinion » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:05 am

banktopp wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:49 am
Breedon wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:32 am


Side note, a bird s*** on me when I was walking home after the game. Since Darlo had already won before it happened, I hope the supposed good luck from that happening carries over to next week and we can make it 5 in a row and an FA Cup 1st round proper!! :D
I should dump her and get a new girlfriend.
Sounds like the Bird was the one that did the dumping

onewayup
Posts: 1705
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by onewayup » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 am

Everyone has an opinion about reffs ,i thought he missed alot ,but it did keep the game flowing, that doesn't make him good. Just my take on him.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12930
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by divas » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:14 am

It’s part and parcel of the game at this level, I’ve given up being stressed by them. All we can hope is they get the bigger decisions correct, any sort consistency doesn’t seem possible.

onewayup
Posts: 1705
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by onewayup » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:55 am

onewayup wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:34 pm
Thomo back for next game, ref was Westgate missed far to much ,should have shown cards much earlier would have calmed Boston down they got away with small things in first ten minutes didn't get penalized and ramped up the rough stuff because he was turning a blind eye, oh sorry both blind eyes he's simply not of a good standard.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4006
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:49 am

Campbell V Styche anyone? Two very different type of players but on reflection is Styche such a big miss?

Yes, when he was in the right mood he did score the odd solo special and power his way through on goal, but after his call up last season he didn’t seem to look anything that good.

Campbell meanwhile is always buzzing around causing trouble, his fitness levels and attitude are spot on, he’s a good team player and has the talent to place a shot. I think he is only going to get better.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

tdk1
Posts: 2007
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:00 pm

I would have Campbell over styche approximately one million times out of one million.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 pm

If Campbell is not scoring then he's assisting.
Against Alfreton he put the ball on a sixpence for the equaliser.
Then away at Leamington again he chips the ball in to the box on a sixpence for the first goal.
AA has said that it'll take time for him to rediscover the skills and techniques needed to be an out and out striker, but at the moment he's on for 20 goals this season, which is as prolific as Mark Beck.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:43 pm

spen666 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:45 pm

You can carry on asking fans to dig deep each season, or for a more sustainable future, the club need to boost its commercial income
Whilst I agree that we need to boost our commercial income, how is that more sustainable than "asking fans to dig deep"? Once you get extra sponsorship, is it guaranteed for ever? Is it easy to replace if a major sponsor pulls out? Boost the budget is as good and reliable an income stream as anything else we are going to have. But yes, agreed that other income streams need strengthening.

And I really despise the term "asking fans to dig deep", which implies that the club is constantly on the scrounge. It isn't. We're a fan based club, therefore if we want to have a bit more money to spend then the fans have some responsibility in helping fund it, over and beyond paying through the gate.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

spen666
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by spen666 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:43 pm
spen666 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:45 pm

You can carry on asking fans to dig deep each season, or for a more sustainable future, the club need to boost its commercial income
Whilst I agree that we need to boost our commercial income, how is that more sustainable than "asking fans to dig deep"? Once you get extra sponsorship, is it guaranteed for ever? Is it easy to replace if a major sponsor pulls out? Boost the budget is as good and reliable an income stream as anything else we are going to have. But yes, agreed that other income streams need strengthening.

And I really despise the term "asking fans to dig deep", which implies that the club is constantly on the scrounge. It isn't. We're a fan based club, therefore if we want to have a bit more money to spend then the fans have some responsibility in helping fund it, over and beyond paying through the gate.
FFS is there anything you cant twist around to make out it's an insult

"Asking the fans to dig deep" is a compliment at the huge sums the fans raise for the club every year.

The fans dig deep every year and boost the clubs income significantly. Without it, the club would not be so high up the pyramid.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2811
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Campbell V Styche anyone? Two very different type of players but on reflection is Styche such a big miss?

Yes, when he was in the right mood he did score the odd solo special and power his way through on goal, but after his call up last season he didn’t seem to look anything that good.

Campbell meanwhile is always buzzing around causing trouble, his fitness levels and attitude are spot on, he’s a good team player and has the talent to place a shot. I think he is only going to get better.
I'd have him back in a heart beat , yes frustrating at times but scores goals and I think he would improve with AA in charge

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


LoidLucan
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:38 am

Looking at the highlights, that opener on Saturday ..... Grangetown's Tyronaldo or what :D

jjljks
Posts: 1591
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:30 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:38 am
Looking at the highlights, that opener on Saturday ..... Grangetown's Tyronaldo or what :D
Agree totally. Well deserved MOTM as ball seemed tied to his laces at times. Love it if he could stay for the whole season.

H1987
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:07 am

The ball just sticks to him. It doesn’t always look perfectly elegant, but it’s an asset for sure.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 am

spen666 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:43 pm
spen666 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:45 pm

You can carry on asking fans to dig deep each season, or for a more sustainable future, the club need to boost its commercial income
Whilst I agree that we need to boost our commercial income, how is that more sustainable than "asking fans to dig deep"? Once you get extra sponsorship, is it guaranteed for ever? Is it easy to replace if a major sponsor pulls out? Boost the budget is as good and reliable an income stream as anything else we are going to have. But yes, agreed that other income streams need strengthening.

And I really despise the term "asking fans to dig deep", which implies that the club is constantly on the scrounge. It isn't. We're a fan based club, therefore if we want to have a bit more money to spend then the fans have some responsibility in helping fund it, over and beyond paying through the gate.
FFS is there anything you cant twist around to make out it's an insult

"Asking the fans to dig deep" is a compliment at the huge sums the fans raise for the club every year.

The fans dig deep every year and boost the clubs income significantly. Without it, the club would not be so high up the pyramid.
actually, I also read "asking fans to dig deep" as a negative as opposed to a compliment.

spen666
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 am
spen666 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:43 pm
spen666 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:45 pm

You can carry on asking fans to dig deep each season, or for a more sustainable future, the club need to boost its commercial income
Whilst I agree that we need to boost our commercial income, how is that more sustainable than "asking fans to dig deep"? Once you get extra sponsorship, is it guaranteed for ever? Is it easy to replace if a major sponsor pulls out? Boost the budget is as good and reliable an income stream as anything else we are going to have. But yes, agreed that other income streams need strengthening.

And I really despise the term "asking fans to dig deep", which implies that the club is constantly on the scrounge. It isn't. We're a fan based club, therefore if we want to have a bit more money to spend then the fans have some responsibility in helping fund it, over and beyond paying through the gate.
FFS is there anything you cant twist around to make out it's an insult

"Asking the fans to dig deep" is a compliment at the huge sums the fans raise for the club every year.

The fans dig deep every year and boost the clubs income significantly. Without it, the club would not be so high up the pyramid.
actually, I also read "asking fans to dig deep" as a negative as opposed to a compliment.
So digging deep to support your club and give it a competitive budget and enabling it to compete at this level is a negative?

Paranoia comes to mind

What other fans have raised as much every year for their club? How is that a negative? the fans raising the money is nothing if not a positive- same as raising the money to replace the lost/ stolen Boston flag is a positive.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5509
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm

I don't see it as fans, it's owners for me. If we had a single owner who ran the club for what they wanted then we wouldn't get the same level of participation.

I am sure single owner of clubs put money in and no one says well done to the fan, they back the owner.

I remember reading comments about the club getting the fans to pay for the extra seats needed and some said it was poor that the club keep asking the fans for money. However for me the club asking the owners to pay for things is exactly what happens everywhere else.

al_quaker
Posts: 5392
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Bloke who is two faced with regards to his comments in relation to Darlington Football Club is confused when people don't take him at his word. A shocking development

(Not you Les :lol: )

onewayup
Posts: 1705
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Boston

Post by onewayup » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:50 pm

I'm a fan a fan that will do as much as it is possible within my means to support my club ,
Help in funding the club comes from a desire to have a club to support for many years to come for me and my children and their children. For me Darlington need a football club to help keep Darlington mentioned across the country and media .raising money for the stolen flag is a positive which will reach media outlets.

Post Reply