FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

curried Quaker
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by curried Quaker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:06 pm

1936/37 won away to Halifax, Burton and Dartford. Next round went out 3-2 to West Brom…..away.

Oddly enough we were drawn away 3 times in a row in 1890/91 without us winning a game. First drawn away to Darlington West End but the game didn't take place and we went through. We then lost 2-0 at Middlesbrough only to be put through again following a protest that Middlesbrough played a player who had played for someone else. Then came a 6-0 defeat at Middlesbrough Ironopolis and the game was replayed (away) following another Darlo protest and lost that 3-0. A protest was lodged again (frozen ground this time) but the cup "run" was over.

Makka, I bow to your superior knowledge. Well spotted mate, I need to get a better football history gazette.

curried Quaker
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by curried Quaker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:10 pm

West Brom did thump Spennymoor 7-1 in the previous round before turning us over in 1936/37. So losing 3-2 at their place, and they were an old 1st Division side, was a good showing, Hopefully we can get a big name in a few hours time.

en passant
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by en passant » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am
It would be fantastic if we could get Ipswich town away a dream draw for Alun Armstrong one of his former clubs.we played them at Portman road in the league cup in the mid 1980's but I missed out has I was in a dead end job at the time. Also my favourite schoolboy club back in the days Bobby Robson was manager and they had the likes of Kevin beattie Brian Talbot John earl and Paul mariner.
The Ipswich game you mention was in September 1985, and was the first leg of a second round tie. I was working and living in London at the time, so decided to and watch the match. We were largely out classed in a 3-1 defeat but had the joy of a wonderful Malcolm Poskett goal to make it worth the journey. But that was as good as it got and we lost the second leg 4-1 with Garry MacDonald getting the consolation for Darlo.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 am
Depends entirely on the draw! Sunderland at home for example would be basically guaranteed to be on TV
I am not sure. The story is surely someone like Malden & Tiptree or Natwhich rather than us. They always go with the smallest clubs. Dulwhich Hamlet have a lot of hipster, media hype about them and are cockney based so will be a popular choice.
Darlington v Sunderland would definitely be on TV. A derby (at least that’s how it would be sold) involving an ex-League team working their way back through the pyramid, at home to a big name former PL side.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12930
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by divas » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:23 pm

As long as we have a factory worker, postman, electrician, plumber, tinker, tailor, candle stick maker in our ranks we should be a shoo-in for TV

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1745
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Well that's Thommo - it's nailed on!

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:35 pm

en passant wrote:
Mister e wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am
It would be fantastic if we could get Ipswich town away a dream draw for Alun Armstrong one of his former clubs.we played them at Portman road in the league cup in the mid 1980's but I missed out has I was in a dead end job at the time. Also my favourite schoolboy club back in the days Bobby Robson was manager and they had the likes of Kevin beattie Brian Talbot John earl and Paul mariner.
The Ipswich game you mention was in September 1985, and was the first leg of a second round tie. I was working and living in London at the time, so decided to and watch the match. We were largely out classed in a 3-1 defeat but had the joy of a wonderful Malcolm Poskett goal to make it worth the journey. But that was as good as it got and we lost the second leg 4-1 with Garry MacDonald getting the consolation for Darlo.
I remember going to home game. They had the great Paul Cooper in goal and a young Jason Dozell if memory serves.

I think we scored first early in the game but it just woke them up. Their fans were taunting us as we’d just lost 7-0 at York!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Here we go 🙏

Nimrod
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by Nimrod » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Last trip to Walsall was....

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1745
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:07 pm
I've made a complete f*** up for the first round. Wife and daughter are going to a concert at the NEC the same day as Leamington away, on the 9th, so I booked an Airbnb in Marston Green that night. Me and boy would go to the game, they would go to the gig, we'd pick them up after and everything would be great. Except I didn't check it would potentially be FA Cup 1st round day. I'm now torn between complete selfishness, of wanting an away tie within 70 minutes of Birmingham, and what is best for Darlo.
Sorry everyone. I've jinxed this one thanks to my predicament. Couldn't have been any better for me.

lo36789
Posts: 8180
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:37 pm

The things the FA Cup throw up though.

The winners of Haringey / Yeovil v Hartlepool given recent events is 'interesting'.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5505
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:07 pm
I've made a complete f*** up for the first round. Wife and daughter are going to a concert at the NEC the same day as Leamington away, on the 9th, so I booked an Airbnb in Marston Green that night. Me and boy would go to the game, they would go to the gig, we'd pick them up after and everything would be great. Except I didn't check it would potentially be FA Cup 1st round day. I'm now torn between complete selfishness, of wanting an away tie within 70 minutes of Birmingham, and what is best for Darlo.
Sorry everyone. I've jinxed this one thanks to my predicament. Couldn't have been any better for me.
Haha, you lucky bugger :lol:

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA CUP FIRST ROUND

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:19 pm

en passant wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:01 pm
Mister e wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am
It would be fantastic if we could get Ipswich town away a dream draw for Alun Armstrong one of his former clubs.we played them at Portman road in the league cup in the mid 1980's but I missed out has I was in a dead end job at the time. Also my favourite schoolboy club back in the days Bobby Robson was manager and they had the likes of Kevin beattie Brian Talbot John earl and Paul mariner.
The Ipswich game you mention was in September 1985, and was the first leg of a second round tie. I was working and living in London at the time, so decided to and watch the match. We were largely out classed in a 3-1 defeat but had the joy of a wonderful Malcolm Poskett goal to make it worth the journey. But that was as good as it got and we lost the second leg 4-1 with Garry MacDonald getting the consolation for Darlo.
Blimey...Malcolm Poskett...back in the day I thought he might’ve done ok for us...thankfully David Currie arrived not long after

Post Reply