Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4001
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:21 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:57 am
While there is no way we should Shields £10K of it we could agree a small loan fee to let the lad have what is probably his only chance to face a league club.
Strange way of looking at it - to me it's about what is best for the team and club in the foreseeable future.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Quakersfan. Where are you getting that information from? I'm just curious to know who/where your confidant is and is that fact or rumour?

Mister e
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Mister e » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Most people are having a right twist on at South Shields for wanting a fee for a player who is contracted to them and belongs to them now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but when Phil Turnbull fell out of favour with Tommy wright I don't remember us letting him sign up for the tynesiders free of charge.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:00 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Most people are having a right twist on at South Shields for wanting a fee for a player who is contracted to them and belongs to them now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but when Phil Turnbull fell out of favour with Tommy wright I don't remember us letting him sign up for the tynesiders free of charge.
I agree with your point, it seems more like the price of asking has been inflated because of who we are and how well he’s done, beyond that which would be normally expected for a 34 year old reserve keeper with 6 months on his contract.
I would like to sign him but not at any price , might just have to wait till the end of the season, then it’s a win win for the club.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Most people are having a right twist on at South Shields for wanting a fee for a player who is contracted to them and belongs to them now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but when Phil Turnbull fell out of favour with Tommy wright I don't remember us letting him sign up for the tynesiders free of charge.
We aren’t asking to get Connell for free.

We are asking to get him for a reasonable fee which you would expect to pay for 34 year old goalkeeper out of contract in 6 months time.

At the time we sold Turnbull he was 31 and in contract for another full season.

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Maybe they think £10k is not an unreasonable fee for a goalkeeper who would guarantee you a play off spot a division higher than they are currently playing though?

al_quaker
Posts: 5392
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm
Maybe they think £10k is not an unreasonable fee for a goalkeeper who would guarantee you a play off spot a division higher than they are currently playing though?
'Guarantee' :shock:

Darlopartisan
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Yea Connell has tweeted, for darlo fans Not to raise money
For his transfer , he knows himself that this is not the way to do business, sensible lad👍

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 pm
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm
Maybe they think £10k is not an unreasonable fee for a goalkeeper who would guarantee you a play off spot a division higher than they are currently playing though?
'Guarantee' :shock:
Never mind.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2994
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:38 pm

I must admit I thought that Shields might just grant him another month's loan to allow him to play in this big game. I'm sure they would have extended his loan at somewhere like Whickham at the drop of a hat.

Clearly he would love to play in the first round of the cup at a league ground and Shields do pride themselves on looking after players who have become club "heroes" and part of the club "family" and Connell is one of them. They recently tore up the contract of Foley because of his new work commitments (although I'm not suggesting that should be the case with Connell). I get the feeling that a fair number of their fans think that Connell should be granted some leeway, particularly when it's a player they don't intend to use and who they have only said good things about.

I get that business is business but it will be a shame if this ends with a disaffected player running down his time with the club on a sour note and with no chance of playing. That will be a shame for the player, South Shields and us. I'm still hoping some kind of reasonable, common sense compromise can be worked out in these unusual circumstances.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:36 pm

I had a look but I couldn’t find an in date fan’s forum, just curious to see what there fans make of “Connell gate”

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Most people are having a right twist on at South Shields for wanting a fee for a player who is contracted to them and belongs to them now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but when Phil Turnbull fell out of favour with Tommy wright I don't remember us letting him sign up for the tynesiders free of charge.
To be fair, we've let several "surplus to requirements" players go to other clubs for free over the last few years, just to free up the wage budget.

Now I'm not suggesting that SS should let us sign him for free, but he is not wanted by them (for some bizarre reason).
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

JE93
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm
Mister e wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Most people are having a right twist on at South Shields for wanting a fee for a player who is contracted to them and belongs to them now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but when Phil Turnbull fell out of favour with Tommy wright I don't remember us letting him sign up for the tynesiders free of charge.
To be fair, we've let several "surplus to requirements" players go to other clubs for free over the last few years, just to free up the wage budget.

Now I'm not suggesting that SS should let us sign him for free, but he is not wanted by them (for some bizarre reason).
Offloading players actually was one of Gray's biggest strengths. Once he was done with a player they were out of the door incredibly quickly to make way for the next, god knows what he did to them behind the scenes. One of my concerns if we are going after Connell as a permanent member of the squad, what would that mean for Elliott? It's a poor use of budget to have two senior keepers in the squad. Might be that Armstrong would have to display the same ruthless streak. If nothing else for Connell himself, I hope at least another months loan can be agreed he's played a big part in that cup run and deserves the reward of playing against football league opposition.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by D_F_C » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:24 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:38 pm
I must admit I thought that Shields might just grant him another month's loan to allow him to play in this big game. I'm sure they would have extended his loan at somewhere like Whickham at the drop of a hat.

Clearly he would love to play in the first round of the cup at a league ground and Shields do pride themselves on looking after players who have become club "heroes" and part of the club "family" and Connell is one of them. They recently tore up the contract of Foley because of his new work commitments (although I'm not suggesting that should be the case with Connell). I get the feeling that a fair number of their fans think that Connell should be granted some leeway, particularly when it's a player they don't intend to use and who they have only said good things about.

I get that business is business but it will be a shame if this ends with a disaffected player running down his time with the club on a sour note and with no chance of playing. That will be a shame for the player, South Shields and us. I'm still hoping some kind of reasonable, common sense compromise can be worked out in these unusual circumstances.

To me, this doesn't cover SS in glory. If word gets out that SS are willing to let a player stew in their reverse team rather than send him away (when they don't have much reason to keep him), then it suggests to other players - don't sign for SS.

I know they have a contract etc etc, but lower league clubs often try the best for their players.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1745
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:31 pm

This is why I suggested they'll end up with pea-hearted mercenaries signing for them if they act like mercenaries themselves.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2811
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Looks like we have got him on loan till the end of the season. Great news , Well done SS you do look after your players welfare and interests after all as some of the dicks on here don't think so

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1745
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Harry, did you used to be a prison officer at Guantanamo Bay? I really don't think you're a Darlo fan. You're the most negative person on here and you're incapable of any sort of debate, instead just taking immature swipes at people.

So looks like Shields have come to their senses or were just playing hardball as they didn't want to be seen to be pushovers. Wonder also if there has been some pressure from within to do the right thing by one of their players by their fans or their own team, many of whom are decent pros. Deffo the right decision, not just for us, but for them in terms of players wanting to sign for them in the future.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2811
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Harry, did you used to be a prison officer at Guantanamo Bay? I really don't think you're a Darlo fan. You're the most negative person on here and you're incapable of any sort of debate, instead just taking immature swipes at people.

So looks like Shields have come to their senses or were just playing hardball as they didn't want to be seen to be pushovers. Wonder also if there has been some pressure from within to do the right thing by one of their players by their fans or their own team, many of whom are decent pros. Deffo the right decision, not just for us, but for them in terms of players wanting to sign for them in the future.
I'm a fucking realist people on here are so negative all the time it's really annoying... People need to chill out and wait for the club to sort stuff not keep calling other teams names and spitting the dummy on every decision that goes against us

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


onewayup
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by onewayup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Harry giving everyone a laugh,realist only if there's a negative point to make.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Harry, did you used to be a prison officer at Guantanamo Bay? I really don't think you're a Darlo fan. You're the most negative person on here and you're incapable of any sort of debate, instead just taking immature swipes at people.

So looks like Shields have come to their senses or were just playing hardball as they didn't want to be seen to be pushovers. Wonder also if there has been some pressure from within to do the right thing by one of their players by their fans or their own team, many of whom are decent pros. Deffo the right decision, not just for us, but for them in terms of players wanting to sign for them in the future.
I'm a fucking realist people on here are so negative all the time it's really annoying... People need to chill out and wait for the club to sort stuff not keep calling other teams names and spitting the dummy on every decision that goes against us

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Harry, all you do is contradict popular opinion on this board, and it seems as though you thrive on it.

I'm not saying you can't disagree with people's opinions, nowt wrong with that - but you've made a point of deliberately being contrary to every single point ever made by anyone.

Then you start having digs at people on this thread when something you passed comment on swings your way.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Darlo_lad
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Darlo_lad » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 pm
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Harry, did you used to be a prison officer at Guantanamo Bay? I really don't think you're a Darlo fan. You're the most negative person on here and you're incapable of any sort of debate, instead just taking immature swipes at people.

So looks like Shields have come to their senses or were just playing hardball as they didn't want to be seen to be pushovers. Wonder also if there has been some pressure from within to do the right thing by one of their players by their fans or their own team, many of whom are decent pros. Deffo the right decision, not just for us, but for them in terms of players wanting to sign for them in the future.
I'm a fucking realist people on here are so negative all the time it's really annoying... People need to chill out and wait for the club to sort stuff not keep calling other teams names and spitting the dummy on every decision that goes against us

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Harry, all you do is contradict popular opinion on this board, and it seems as though you thrive on it.

I'm not saying you can't disagree with people's opinions, nowt wrong with that - but you've made a point of deliberately being contrary to every single point ever made by anyone.

Then you start having digs at people on this thread when something you passed comment on swings your way.
Pot and kettle

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Connell - Boost the Budget

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Except I don't deliberately contradict everything all of the time - so, no.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Post Reply