Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

al_quaker
Posts: 5392
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:52 pm

Yeah I can't see a change (unless forced), and I wouldn't want to see one, even to get Thompson in there. The midfield trio is working really well - Wheatley sitting deep allows Hatfield and Holness to get up and down the pitch. Too often in recent seasons we've looked dominated in midfield, but since changing to 3 CMs we've looked so much better, and they're all playing really well. I hope (in the nicest possible way!) that Thompson has to bide his time for a chance to start!

Darlogramps
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Agree with all the above. We shouldn’t be looking to change a formula that’s worked so definitely keep three in midfield.

If Thompson is to come in, I’d maybe look at swapping him for Rivers, but I think Armstrong would keep things as they are.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12117
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 pm
Agree with all the above. We shouldn’t be looking to change a formula that’s worked so definitely keep three in midfield.

If Thompson is to come in, I’d maybe look at swapping him for Rivers, but I think Armstrong would keep things as they are.
based on form it's hard to make a case for Thompson ahead of Rivers.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 pm
Agree with all the above. We shouldn’t be looking to change a formula that’s worked so definitely keep three in midfield.

If Thompson is to come in, I’d maybe look at swapping him for Rivers, but I think Armstrong would keep things as they are.
based on form it's hard to make a case for Thompson ahead of Rivers.
Thommo was excellent when he came on against Hereford.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


m62exile
Posts: 2151
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by m62exile » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Nice problem to have. The starting 11 are all contributing, Thompson looked good when he came on at the weekend and I have to say Donowa looks the business every time he gets on the pitch at the moment. Almost scored again on Saturday with what would have been the best back heel since Les McJannet!

Strength in depth and competition for places.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan
Posts: 3007
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Just noticed that the Walsall link earlier in the thread said the only player connection between the clubs was Mark Prudhoe but I think they overlooked Fred Barber, who started his goalkeeping career with us and later played for Walsall.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Julian Joachim played for Walsall the season before we signed him.

biccynana
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by biccynana » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm
Julian Joachim played for Walsall the season before we signed him.
According to the wonderful, but not necessarily comprehensive, http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... ngton.html, Bertrand Bossu left us for Walsall. We had Taiwo Atieno (nope, me neither) on loan from Walsall in 2005/6. Ron Hewittt was signed from Walsall in 1950. Jimmy O'Neill came to us from Australia in 1967. His previous English club was Walsall. Nathan Jameson (DFC 2005/6) came to us from Durham City having previously played for Walsall.

poppyfield
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by poppyfield » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Confirmation of the match officials for Saturdays game.

https://www.bescotbanter.net/2019/11/fa ... ton-h.html
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

LoidLucan
Posts: 3007
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:08 pm

biccynana wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:33 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm
Julian Joachim played for Walsall the season before we signed him.
According to the wonderful, but not necessarily comprehensive, http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... ngton.html, Bertrand Bossu left us for Walsall. We had Taiwo Atieno (nope, me neither) on loan from Walsall in 2005/6. Ron Hewittt was signed from Walsall in 1950. Jimmy O'Neill came to us from Australia in 1967. His previous English club was Walsall. Nathan Jameson (DFC 2005/6) came to us from Durham City having previously played for Walsall.
So in reality there are loads of household footballing names to have worn both shirts, including Taiwo :D

Darlopartisan
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 am

Count down 3 days to go 👍

quakersfan
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by quakersfan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:28 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 am
Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 am
The count down 4 days to go 👍
Still time to do a deal on Liam Connell, & he did not play for South Shields in previous FA cup games so not cuptied👍
Be great if we could get Connell but I’ve heard it’s unlikely. I’m sure AA is doing all he can to get the strongest team out, win this and it will make a huge difference to finances which at our level is key.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:35 pm

DJ said this in his interview. In his words 'It's not dead but we won't be held to ransom'. He also reiterated the point about crowdfunding creating a negative future precedent.

al_quaker
Posts: 5392
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:59 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50139021

National press (with obligatory mistake!)

poppyfield
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by poppyfield » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:09 pm

If the Connell deal cant be done, Just hope everyone gives Elliott a great welcome at the Walsall game.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:56 pm

poppyfield wrote:If the Connell deal cant be done, Just hope everyone gives Elliott a great welcome at the Walsall game.
Totally agree.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


onewayup
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:51 pm

I think Elliott will have learned a lot from connel and will be good, he's still learning. Give the lad your backing and help his game with positive energy.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Worst case would be if he makes an error and gifts them a goal. Hope fans don't get on his back.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 pm

With O’NEILL been recalled it’s a real blow ☹️

eddie-rowles
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:23 pm

O'Neil and Connell missing is far from ideal preparation but Thommo is a great replacement just hope Elliot has his contacts in

Darlopartisan
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm

What have we done to upset the football gods 🙏

JasonDeVos
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm
What have we done to upset the football gods 🙏
Not the first time and most certainly not the last! Is there a team with worse luck than us?

LoidLucan
Posts: 3007
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:28 pm

At least it seems to have pleased one group of people.... the long-suffering Walsall fans, who'll take any bit of help going to avoid a cup upset.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Not great timing for us, and obviously diminishes our chances of winning, but got to be philosophical about it.
If it wasn't for Tyrone, then we wouldn't be in the first round anyway. Also, it's not like the Liam Connell situation where he's been denied the chance to play out of bloody-mindedness. Tyrone is going to be living his dream, with maybe a debut for the Boro this Saturday rather than an FA Cup 1st round tie. If he fulfils his potential then he'll be playing in the latter rounds at some point in his career. How fantastic for the lad.
One door closes and another one opens. Brilliant chance for Justin Donawa to show what he can do now.

User avatar
dfc4me
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by dfc4me » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 pm

If Shields had any sense they would extend Cornell’s loan by a months which would show them as a club that cares about its players. Instead everyone now knows they are just a bunch of greedy, mean minded tw@ts that don’t give a toss about their players, hopefully an attitude that will come back and bite them one day soon.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:30 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 pm
If Shields had any sense they would extend Cornell’s loan by a months which would show them as a club that cares about its players. Instead everyone now knows they are just a bunch of greedy, mean minded tw@ts that don’t give a toss about their players, hopefully an attitude that will come back and bite them one day soon.
This!

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2811
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 pm

dfc4me wrote:If Shields had any sense they would extend Cornell’s loan by a months which would show them as a club that cares about its players. Instead everyone now knows they are just a bunch of greedy, mean minded tw@ts that don’t give a toss about their players, hopefully an attitude that will come back and bite them one day soon.
Give up ffs ..Just because we can't get our own way we start slagging Shields off...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1750
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:15 pm

No. We won't not make a reasonable point because you're a mood Hoover. This Saturday would be the highlight of his career, but out of greed SS have decided to deny him it. We even offered money for a short term loan, but they refused. If you think that SS are being good to their employees by letting him sit idle when he could be playing in the first round of the FA Cup, then you're either heartless or trolling.

User avatar
dfc4me
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by dfc4me » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 pm
dfc4me wrote:If Shields had any sense they would extend Cornell’s loan by a months which would show them as a club that cares about its players. Instead everyone now knows they are just a bunch of greedy, mean minded tw@ts that don’t give a toss about their players, hopefully an attitude that will come back and bite them one day soon.
Give up ffs ..Just because we can't get our own way we start slagging Shields off...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Nothing to do with not getting our own way, it’s called doing the right thing by the player. Connell was at SS for 3 years and was instrumental in them being where they are, they don’t want him anymore, another loan would cost them nothing and make Connell very happy but they don’t care they just want our money.

Mister e
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by Mister e » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 pm
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 pm
dfc4me wrote:If Shields had any sense they would extend Cornell’s loan by a months which would show them as a club that cares about its players. Instead everyone now knows they are just a bunch of greedy, mean minded tw@ts that don’t give a toss about their players, hopefully an attitude that will come back and bite them one day soon.
Give up ffs ..Just because we can't get our own way we start slagging Shields off...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Nothing to do with not getting our own way, it’s called doing the right thing by the player. Connell was at SS for 3 years and was instrumental in them being where they are, they don’t want him anymore, another loan would cost them nothing and make Connell very happy but they don’t care they just want our money.
Have you thought most loans are to put a clubs assets in the shop window maybe just maybe another club have been watching connell and have tabled a bid.

Post Reply