Second Round Draw

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Second Round Draw

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 am

We aren't there yet...it is a still a huge if not a when...but when is the next time we are going to be able to discuss this?

Who do we want to draw and who do we want to avoid?

1 Ipswich Town or Lincoln City
2 Solihull Moors
3 Crawley Town
4 Harrogate Town or Portsmouth
5 Coventry City
6 Sunderland or Gillingham
7 Carlisle United
8 Plymouth Argyle
9 Altrincham
10 Wrexham or Rochdale
11 Maidstone United
12 Maldon & Tiptree
13 Northampton Town
14 Yeovil Town or Hartlepool United
15 Cambridge United or Exeter City
16 Stourbridge or Eastleigh
17 Salford City or Burton Albion
18 Forest Green Rovers
19 Bristol Rovers or Bromley
20 Notts County
21 Walsall or Darlington
22 AFC Fylde
23 AFC Wimbledon or Doncaster Rovers
24 Oxford United
25 Shrewsbury Town or Bradford City
26 Grimsby Town or Newport County
27 Oldham Athletic
28 Mansfield Town
29 Dover Athletic
30 Tranmere Rovers or Wycombe Wanderers
31 Boston United
32 Cheltenham Town or Swindon Town
33 Crewe Alexandra
34 Fleetwood Town
35 Kingstonian
36 Rotherham United
37 Blackpool
38 Port Vale
39 Stevenage or Peterborough United
40 Chichester City

Given we are so so close to the third round I would absolutely take a draw against Chichester, Kingstonian or Maldon & Tiptree right now.

Failing that Sunderland, Portsmouth or Hartlepool...not asking for too much right?

Emdubya

Re: Second Round Draw

Post by Emdubya » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:48 am

Malden and Tiptree at Blackwell will do nicely thank you.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:53 am

Yep, with the third round just one (well two) wins away, a home tie against lower ranked opposition would be ideal.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 am

As you say, 3rd round, potentially so close. A winnable tie at home could genuinely take us on a tie that would bring development funds and financial stability for years to come.

Should we not get a winnable home tie, I'd agree I'd rather go to the other end of the spectrum. Sunderland or Ipswich away. Sunderland for the crowd. If we take 1,200 to Walsall on an awful rainy day think we could easily take 3 or 4k up to Sunderland. Or Ipswich, cause of the Armstrong connection, think the TV coverage would be all over that and we'd definitely get a TV game. Plus, as a East Herts exile its only an hour and a bit away.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 am

It's got to be Sunderland away, if you could pick absolutely anyone. You'd be happy with that in the third round. It'd be virtually nailed on to be on TV also, so would be worth some serious money to the club. I'd even take that game ahead of a game against Pools.

Lets not get excited though. We have to tackle Walsall first, without the Bermudan boys (i suspect). Which is a hell of a task. I'm still hoping against hope that game will be televised. After so many years of going to the fans, i'd love us to get some money in, which we can invest in the infrastructure and long term prospects of the club.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am

Not being a doom merchant but I'll be surprised if we reach the 2nd round, reason being that historically lower league teams normally fail on their second bite of the cherry against a higher team. Cup shocks normally have to be done on the day or generally the chance has passed.

Hope I'm wrong of course - and if I am then the obvious choice for the 2nd round would be the lowest ranked club at home, giving us the best chance of progressing into round 3. Then it's got to be Man U, Liverpool, Newcastle away hasn't it. Maximum gate money.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am
Not being a doom merchant but I'll be surprised if we reach the 2nd round, reason being that historically lower league teams normally fail on their second bite of the cherry against a higher team. Cup shocks normally have to be done on the day or generally the chance has passed.

There is a precedent; the famous win over Chelsea followed a remarkable 3-3 at Stamford Bridge and having played so well at Walsall the players know they can do it. My only concern is the full time fitness aspect because once they started to come at us on Saturday it started to tell a bit despite Darlo besting them at football for most of the game. Also our magnificent supporters really are a 12th man. I don't much mind who we get if we go through but another league team might be too much, so lets say Yeovil Town.
:D

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:48 am
Really? Won 20 out of their 21 competitive games this season, and have just won away at Leyton Orient. Hard pass for me.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:48 am
Really? Won 20 out of their 21 competitive games this season, and have just won away at Leyton Orient. Hard pass for me.
Agree, i'd rather have Kingstonian at home, if we wanted a draw simply based off of the best chance of progression.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

There is a precedent; the famous win over Chelsea followed a remarkable 3-3 at Stamford Bridge and having played so well at Walsall the players know they can do it. My only concern is the full time fitness aspect because once they started to come at us on Saturday it started to tell a bit despite Darlo besting them at football for most of the game. Also our magnificent supporters really are a 12th man. I don't much mind who we get if we go through but another league team might be too much, so lets say Yeovil Town.
:D
That's some precedent. It is over 60 years ago. :o
Hopefully Blackwell Meadows is a racist free ground, we don't want Yeovil. Stourbridge would be my choice.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Hope I'm wrong of course - and if I am then the obvious choice for the 2nd round would be the lowest ranked club at home, giving us the best chance of progressing into round 3. Then it's got to be Man U, Liverpool, Newcastle away hasn't it. Maximum gate money.
Hope all of the lads manage to take Wednesday off work otherwise it’ll be even harder than Saturday