Home to Oxford when we win

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Home to Oxford when we win

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm

As above
Last edited by Darlopartisan on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poppyfield

Re: Home to Oxford if we win

Post by poppyfield » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:22 pm

that will do
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:23 pm

they will bring a few, getting ahead of myself I know
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Yep few games to go first

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Good draw. Winnable. Now the hard work to get there. Howay lads

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Yep winnable

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Glad to be at home, not sure its that winnable!, they are one of the strongest teams in the draw, 4th in League 1 and in QF of the League cup. Would probably be a live game too.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Good draw that. If we get through it's a big home game. If we don't get through the replay, it's not going to be devestating like missing out on Sunderland would have been!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:35 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm
Good draw that. If we get through it's a big home game. If we don't get through the replay, it's not going to be devestating like missing out on Sunderland would have been!
Not as devastating as thinking you've got Sunderland away, actually winning our replay for once - then the realisation that we're away to Gillingham.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:35 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Not as devastating as thinking you've got Sunderland away, actually winning our replay for once - then the realisation that we're away to Gillingham.
Yes good point :lol:

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 pm

tezza wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Good draw. Winnable. Now the hard work to get there. Howay lads
There's 3 leagues between us!

That's like if we were mid table in L2, drawing Man U at home and thinking it is winnable.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Rather have this than Sunderland away👍

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Oxford are a much stronger team than you give them credit for, will be extremely difficult to win

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Most frustrating replay was the homw to peterbrough game when we had Newcastle in the next round. 2 missed penalties by Conlon if I remember correctly.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Most frustrating replay was the homw to peterbrough game when we had Newcastle in the next round. 2 missed penalties by Conlon if I remember correctly.
An upsetting night out.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Was it two? Only one sticks in my mind, and it's the one that is presumably still in orbit.

Darlogramps

Home to Oxford if we win

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
That wasn’t the replay, it was the original tie. Drew 2-2 in the home game. Lost 2-0 away in the replay.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JABWootton

Post by JABWootton » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 am

IF we beat Walsall and IF the game is televised, it could possibly be on a Friday evening for a change.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 am

To be fair I think we also threw away the opportunity to play Arsenal twice at Feethams suppose difference being the draw hadn't been made at that point.

Sure that was who Sheffield United ended up facing after we were undone by Dean Saunders in extra time after doing so I well to get them back even on aggregate.

I also think did Farnborough end up drawing them also after we lost at home to them having got to the third round.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:04 am

Something suspicious going on here. Two home draws in half a day. The FA have slipped up drastically or they're planning to sabotage us. :?: :roll:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 am

joejaques wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:04 am
Something suspicious going on here. Two home draws in half a day. The FA have slipped up drastically or they're planning to sabotage us. :?: :roll:
:lol: Absolutely right, probably end up playing in June due to fixture backlog. Nice problem to have though, Martin Gray would never have got us into this position!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 am

I doubt the potential Oxford game will be on TV - from memory the tv companies make decisions before the replays are done, and they won't risk Walsall v Oxford! If it happens (if if if) then it might get moved to the Sunday for 'extended coverage' or whatever the bbc call it

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:33 am

I am very happy for the TV to look at Darlo v Oxford and say no it's not worth it.

Main reason is that this means we have actually managed to get through to the 2nd round of the FA Cup, which I don't expect us to and will just enjoy the night v Walsall for what it is.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:37 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:33 am

Main reason is that this means we have actually managed to get through to the 2nd round of the FA Cup, which I don't expect us to and will just enjoy the night v Walsall for what it is.
Yes - we are massive underdogs for the replay, probably more so than the first game in my eyes. Even if we don't manage to pull off a shock, we've cleared probably getting on towards 100k (?) this season from the FA cup and we've had some national coverage for the first time in ages, let alone the physical enjoyment of our run. Nothing to lose from here :thumbup:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 am

Jjljks Please let the Martin Grey obsession go . Enjoy things now for what they are without harking back to the past. Grey did a great job at the time steering us to 3 promotions and we should all remember that instead of sniping at him.Of course he let himself down with the manner of his leaving but time to move on.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 am
Jjljks Please let the Martin Grey obsession go . Enjoy things now for what they are without harking back to the past. Grey did a great job at the time steering us to 3 promotions and we should all remember that instead of sniping at him.Of course he let himself down with the manner of his leaving but time to move on.
He let himself down mainly by trying to bring Raj Singh back in as an owner of the football club. He had to leave after that as he had removed all credit and it started going wrong on the pitch whilst financially we were losing money (that part isn't totally down to Gray but he played a decent part).

Imagine Alun Armstrong on BBC match of the day explaining that one on Sunday.

"Well wor fans took over the club and ploughed in loads of money and then took back the one person who had sent them all the way down to the Northern League. The chairman doesn't like the club enough to lose money every week as he said that on TV when it all went down the pan but he still wanted to come back though because erm....."

However I agree on one thing, let's leave Gray out of this. It's Alun Armstongs team now and he is doing a very good job currently.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:25 am

Nicely put super-les, however at the risk of repeating myself, this good run of form has been achieved without the input of dirty money. We were led to believe this wasn't possible.

It just shows what a good manager can do. :clap: :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:25 am
Nicely put super-les, however at the risk of repeating myself, this good run of form has been achieved without the input of dirty money. We were led to believe this wasn't possible.

No, we were told that NLN was our level if we didn't get an input of money, not that it wasn't possible to have a good run of form!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

It's a good discussion point but for a separate thread I would say.

Personally, I believe we could always compete at this level and be in with a shout for promotion especially once we had our finances sorted/500 club dropping off etc.

However, the big stumbling point is what we do if promoted, we could probably try and make the ground conference minimum, but we would struggle to compete on the pitch and costs off it would rise.

The decision on the ground and how we move forward as we all know is the biggest decision coming, for me I am happy taking time building the club rather than this insatiable need for football league which some have. We all would love that and it should be a long term target that we are working towards but a quick fix of someone throwing money at it is unlikely to happen or bring what is wanted.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:47 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

No, we were told that NLN was our level if we didn't get an input of money, not that it wasn't possible to have a good run of form!
To be fair some said we would stagnate slowly and drop to the Evo Prem, which isn't true in any way as long as the board are forward thinking.