Will Darlo go for the hybrid model?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Will Darlo go for the hybrid model?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am

I've heard it mentioned by a few people in the know, that we are looking to adopt the hybrid model of football next season. With a fair percentage of the 500 club memberships coming to an end, this will help raise a significant of amount of extra revenue & this combined with the cup windfall, will mean that we can/will be offering some full-time contracts next season & some players will remain part-time. The intention is that we will have a real go at going for promotion next season. Personally I think this would be a great move & it's a part way to becoming a full-time professional side. Opinions?

spen666

Re: Will Darlo go for the hybrid model?

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:44 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am
I've heard it mentioned by a few people in the know, that we are looking to adopt the hybrid model of football next season. With a fair percentage of the 500 club memberships coming to an end, this will help raise a significant of amount of extra revenue & this combined with the cup windfall, will mean that we can/will be offering some full-time contracts next season & some players will remain part-time. The intention is that we will have a real go at going for promotion next season. Personally I think this would be a great move & it's a part way to becoming a full-time professional side. Opinions?

spending the one season cup windfall on playing budget is a foolish measure as what happens in 12 months time if you don't have a cup run? The club either has to revert to part time or run up debts.

Cup windfalls cannot be relied upon and shouldn't be used to pay recurring costs.

Its a similar approach that got Leeds United into so much trouble under Peter Ridsdale.
They were taking out long term debt to pay recurring expenses eg re mortgaging the ground to pay this season's playing expenses. Meant the next season they couldn't pay the expenses

Cup windfall is better used to clear existing debts ( if any), then spend on one off expenditure eg ground, new equipment etc

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 am

They are not paying recurring costs if you have 1 year contracts.

Surely you can see a difference between a windfall and taking on long term debt. Like I know that you know the difference between them - they are chalk and cheese but you have said it's the same approach for some weird reason.
Last edited by lo36789 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am
Back to the 60's then.
Can we sign Lol, Pev, Yogie et all?

On a more serious note, not at this level and with our level of support. All that is doing is putting the hard earned cup windfall into not very good players pockets.
IF we get promoted we are only 1 step away from being back in the league. The money needed to achieve that far outweighs what we have in our pockets at the moment, and I would hate to go up only to come straight back down again and possibly do a NFU.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 am

Surely you can see a difference between a windfall and taking on long term debt. Like I know that you know the difference between them - they are chalk and cheese but you have said it's the same approach for some weird reason.
Sorry Lo, can't see any point at all in signing full time players at this level on 1 year contracts. We would only get the worst of those released elsewhere. Surely it is better to aim at slightly better part timers.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:16 am

Yeh probably to be honest depends how highly you value fitness / availability over potentially pure technical ability.

I was actually just disputing spen comparing refinancing your assets to spending a windfall...you would think someone in the legal profession would appreciate a distinction

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:27 am

It is a good idea and it is how we can progress in a sensible manner. The idea was mooted by D.J long before any cup "windfall" and I'm sure that D.J and A.A. will blend this system in well. It's all very well trying to pick up the cream of part time players but this is easier said than done and in any case A.A. has shown recently that he does have an eye for a good player.
spen666 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:44 am
spending the one season cup windfall on playing budget is a foolish measure as what happens in 12 months time if you don't have a cup run? The club either has to revert to part time or run up debts.

Cup windfalls cannot be relied upon and shouldn't be used to pay recurring costs.
This isn't the situation Spen, I don't agree with you at all.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:31 am

I doubt it yet. It might be the plan down the line, but we need to get BM up to national standard first, and there will still be some 500 club's running. Maybe in a few years we might adopt such an approach. I don't necessarily think it's the secret to getting out of this league either.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am

Whereas at Pride Of, it's just spend, spend, spend on everything and fingers crossed that the individual who has chucked millions at it doesn't decide time's up.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am

Apparently there are roughly 200 of the 500 club members expiring. So let's say that every one of them buys a season ticket next season (optimistic) - that's roughly 40k (200x200) - before the VAT man takes his slice. Roughly 33k then - in what one would hope to be recurring income.

That's going to help when added to our existing part time budget (c 240-250k), but it's not the difference between part time and hybrid, not near.

The cup money (70k prize and TV money total - BEFORE VAT, BEFORE fines for wankers throwing flares twice) if we are lucky enough to have any left, Spen is correct, it's a one shot deal. But again, we've already dipped into this money to sign the likes of Hedley, Storey and Connell due to the injury situation - those wages have taken us over the initial budget, DJ confirmed it in his interview. So how much is going to be left for next season, anything at all?

You can even argue that it's just as well we had this cup run if we've went over budget! What if we hadn't have had it? Another embarrassing mid season cash call?

And people are thinking we're suddenly minted, not just for this season but going forwards. Delusion, that's what it is.

Realistically, the only way you could use cup run money to fund future budgets is if you received a huge windfall - ie 500k gate receipts from Man U away - and you dribbled in say 100k a season for 5 seasons. This would help immensely and give 5 seasons to replace that income when it runs out. But of course the club or fans would want to spunk it all in one or two seasons going all out for promotion, without thinking of the black hole left at the end of it.

In any case, there's a strong argument for using large cup windfalls if we ever got one, on infrastructure. Imagine being in the National league and having 500k from a cup run + 400k grant - that'd be nearly a million quid before asking the fans for another penny for ground development!

Back to this hybrid thing - I'm no accountant but I reckon if you're going to have half full time players (who also need paying 52 weeks rather than 40), and half part time, then just to keep the part time players on what they already get, plus to offer increases to moderate full time wages for those that go full time, I reckon 350k playing budget minumum, ideally 400k.

That's a BIG increase in budget required, where's the money coming from? Remember this needs to be extra income that isn't a one season deal.

We need the 500 club to all renew STs in the next 1-3 seasons, we need the sponsorship and commercial revenue to be higher than currently (but Morley reckons we're almost at the ceiling now), we need bigger gates every season so we can forecast budget a bit more optimistically, and we need BTB to be substantially higher than the 103k raised this season, and 86k last season.

If we could raise 150K BTB per season of course, and add in the 500 club members, then that may get us nearly there without worrying too much about gate increases and commercial, but going hybrid is a big big ask whichever way we think of it.

And the ground is still fucking shite.
Last edited by Ghost_Of_1883 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:38 am

lo36789 wrote:

Then you are not building anything sustainable.

If you expect players to sign up for a career where there is a serious risk it wont be funded the next season, then you are not building a stable sustainable future

I specifically highlighted the referenced cup windfall and talked only of that.

The extra income expected by the ending of the 500 club is a different issue.

The income from a cup run is not guaranteed. any prudent club would not budget for any cup income. If you budget for a cup run, then you are plunged into debt when it doesn't happen ( as it is inevitable that a club won't have a cup run every year)

There is a clear correlation with what happened at Leeds. They used one off income ( the mortgage money) to pay recurring expenses. Which is exactly what I am saying is foolish. The cup windfall is a one off income and to use it to pay recurring expenses ( salaries) is taking a similar approach

Using one off windfalls to pay recurring expenses is a foolish policy and one that someone financially literate such as DJ will not follow. It is not prudent or sensible

Season ticket sales, to some degree sponsorship monies etc can be more accurately budgeted for over time than a cup run

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:39 am

The way forward is for the club to eventually go full-time & a stepping stone to that end, will be perhaps to a half way house, that a hybrid model could deliver.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:39 am
The way forward is for the club to eventually go full-time & a stepping stone to that end, will be perhaps to a half way house, that a hybrid model could deliver.
We are a million miles from being full time, and blabbing on about how becoming a hybrid would be a half way house - well yeah Captain Obvious it would be - but it's still got to be financed, and financed sustainably and cautiously at that.

Just saying lets go hybrid won't make it so. Where is the extra money coming from every season (and I think it will be 100k extra per season minimum).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm

spen666 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:38 am
lo36789 wrote:

If you expect players to sign up for a career where there is a serious risk it wont be funded the next season, then you are not building a stable sustainable future

The income from a cup run is not guaranteed. any prudent club would not budget for any cup income. If you budget for a cup run, then you are plunged into debt when it doesn't happen ( as it is inevitable that a club won't have a cup run every year)

There is a clear correlation with what happened at Leeds. They used one off income ( the mortgage money) to pay recurring expenses. Which is exactly what I am saying is foolish. The cup windfall is a one off income and to use it to pay recurring expenses ( salaries) is taking a similar approach

Using one off windfalls to pay recurring expenses is a foolish policy and one that someone financially literate such as DJ will not follow. It is not prudent or sensible

Season ticket sales, to some degree sponsorship monies etc can be more accurately budgeted for over time than a cup run
Salaries are not a recurring expense. They are actually a contracted committed expense over a set period of time (the length of the contract).

I agree to pay you £300 per week for 40 weeks. That is a £12,000 cost in your budget.

Im not saying it is the right way to do it. But to have a set amount of money and say I will spend it on this item with no future obligations is completely and utterly different to refinancing an asset which will create a debt obligation.

I seriously though even you would be able to distinguish that.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:39 am
We are a million miles from being full time, and blabbing on about how becoming a hybrid would be a half way house - well yeah Captain Obvious it would be - but it's still got to be financed, and financed sustainably and cautiously at that.

Just saying lets go hybrid won't make it so. Where is the extra money coming from every season (and I think it will be 100k extra per season minimum).
It also depends on what type of model the club might be considering - I don't think DJ delved into any detail when he mooted the idea in his interviews. There is a world of difference between recruiting a number of full-time professionals paid 52-weeks of the year and putting on additional training sessions during the day for those part-time players (paid 40 weeks/year) who either don't have another job outside of football of are have flexible employment that allows them to attend additional training

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:31 pm

To be fair to Spen, what he's saying is entirely what happened to Blyth.
Also, it may be we have just 1 or 2 players on full time, and this may be the way to get someone like Dan McGuire. Pretty lonely training sessions though if there's only a couple!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:31 pm
To be fair to Spen, what he's saying is entirely what happened to Blyth.
Also, it may be we have just 1 or 2 players on full time, and this may be the way to get someone like Dan McGuire. Pretty lonely training sessions though if there's only a couple!
And also pretty pointless.

The advantage of training 4 days a week rather than 2 is that you can work more on organisation, shape, tactics, set pieces etc. You'd need a good core of full time pros to make it worthwhile.

Fitness wise, I don't see too much difference between part time and full time players these days as part time players will top up their football training with other bits of fitness/gym work in their own time.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:51 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm
spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Salaries are not a recurring expense. They are actually a contracted committed expense over a set period of time (the length of the contract).

I agree to pay you £800 per week for 40 weeks and a 10 grand signing on fee. That is a £42,000 cost in your budget.

Im not saying it is the right way to do it. But to have a set amount of money and say I will spend it on this item with no future obligations is completely and utterly different to refinancing an asset which will create a debt obligation.

Just corrected that for you so it's a bit more realistic for Spen.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm
spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I agree to pay you £300 per week for 40 weeks. That is a £12,000 cost in your budget.

Salaries are a recurring expense no matter which way you look at it.

Basic accounting principles tell you it is. Salaries are paid weekly/ monthly etc each month, They are not a one off occurrence.

What you seem to be saying is to tell players the club is going to a hybrid model, but for one year only. Next year we don't have a cup windfall so we won't keep you on as a full time player.

That is not going to attract anyone decent to the club or to provide any basis to build on.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:18 pm

spen666 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Basic accounting principles tell you it is. Salaries are paid weekly/ monthly etc each month, They are not a one off occurrence.

What you seem to be saying is to tell players the club is going to a hybrid model, but for one year only. Next year we don't have a cup windfall so we won't keep you on as a full time player.

That is not going to attract anyone decent to the club or to provide any basis to build on.
Fixed term contractors are usually associated with a project cost which has a set budget.

When we were last a professional club we only had 2 or 3 players at most on more than a 1 year contract - I'd say that 1 year deals are actually quite normal in the lower leagues.

No you don't say that. What you are telling players is "We are offering you a 1 year contract".

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 pm

spen666 wrote:
Get back to work Spen, you don't know what you're on about.

This idea was mooted long before our cup run, so you needn't keep banging on about the cup run - and secondly, above you write "WE" but you are not a Darlo fan, you only seem to be on this thread for the sake of your own amusement, thirdly D.J is considering phasing this idea in sensibly, and fourthly, oh, I can't be bothered......
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Pete where did you dream this s*** up from, because that is what it is, absolutely no way we as fan owned club could afford full time contracts, 1) we don't have the financial clout,
2) we need over 700,50 thousand
3)it's just your imagination running wild,
When we are able to support fulltime football I'm sure that the board will let the owners know first and foremost.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:11 pm

onewayup wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm
Pete where did you dream this s*** up from, because that is what it is, absolutely no way we as fan owned club could afford full time contracts, 1) we don't have the financial clout,
2) we need over 700,50 thousand
3)it's just your imagination running wild,
When we are able to support fulltime football I'm sure that the board will let the owners know first and foremost.
DJ said in an interview recently they are considering a hybrid model next season

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:19 pm

I'm not convinced of the benefits of a hybrid model unless you have enough full timers to effectively used the greter number of training sessions to sensibly work on those things that benefit from repetition drills etc. Then there is the question of integrating part timers into training and tactical plans.

From a cost point of view for the wages you would have to pay to get journeymen full timers you could probably get better ability, more motivated part timers, some who are ambitious to move into full time and may be a potential future profit, or players who have a good family/work/football balance and would not be interested in full time.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:23 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 pm
spen666 wrote:
Get back to work Spen, you don't know what you're on about.

This idea was mooted long before our cup run, so you needn't keep banging on about the cup run - and secondly, above you write "WE" but you are not a Darlo fan, you only seem to be on this thread for the sake of your own amusement, thirdly D.J is considering phasing this idea in sensibly, and fourthly, oh, I can't be bothered......

Why am I going on about the cup windfall?

Well, because the post I replied to mentioned it.

I have also made it clear I am only referring to cup windfall money. That is why I am posting about the cup windfall money.

Money from other sources eg the ending of the 500 club is a different matter, and I have said that already. I have no problem with a hybrid model ( although others do). My comments are specifically on the cup windfall money. Which is probably why I am posting about the cup windfall and not about a hybrid policy in general or other sources of income

Oh and as a Chartered Accountant ( as well as a lawyer) I have a bit of an idea about finances.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:18 pm
spen666 wrote:

Fixed term contractors are usually associated with a project cost which has a set budget.

When we were last a professional club we only had 2 or 3 players at most on more than a 1 year contract - I'd say that 1 year deals are actually quite normal in the lower leagues.

No you don't say that. What you are telling players is "We are offering you a 1 year contract".

But when Darlington were in the football league they had an expectation of funding season after season. When you use one off cup windfall money ( which any prudent financial controller would not rely on being repeated every season) you have a situation that you do not expect to have the cup windfall the following year and so you are then unable to have a hybrid model.

In the football league, if the player was good enough, he would expect to get a new contract. Relying on cup windfall money to finance a hybrid model there is no such expectation

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 pm

I wouldn't worry, most the cup windfall will be going on budget increase due to injuries, debt and fines due to idiots throwing flares on the pitch.

Any Hybrid model would not be built on any FA Cup money.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 pm

As far as I am aware the idea of moving to a hybrid model was never based on using the cup windfall. This suggestion came entirely from Darlo Pete.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Tough to really assess a 'hybrid system' because it can mean so many different things. From adding an extra day time training session into the mix - to - a split of some part time and full time players. And as such there would be a huge cost differential.

Adding an additional training session probably means you keep much of the status quo, but pay a top up on player salaries as you're taking more of their time. Probably ball park figures of £300-£375k.

Whereas a mixed part time / full time model would mean paying 10 or so players full time wages for 52 weeks a year, plus probably some long term loans on top of that, plus the remaining members of the squad on a Part Time basis. Once you have all that you must be looking at £450-500k to get decent players in.

For me personally, I still think its a couple of years too soon to be considering this. You can compete and make the playoffs on a part time basis and that is good enough for us for now, whilst we work out where our future lies between BM and SV and thus what additional capital expenditure we as owners will need to fund.

As it's said above I'm not expecting a large carry over of Cup funds into next season. I'd take it as a positive if we could avoid a early bird season ticket offer before the current season has ended, would give us a really good cash position on which to go into next season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 pm
As far as I am aware the idea of moving to a hybrid model was never based on using the cup windfall. This suggestion came entirely from Darlo Pete.
The idea was mentioned by D.J quite a while ago, and is not related to cup windfall money. Darolpete mentioned the windfall money but he also mentioned other things too.

I think it's a good idea. We need to progress, however it should be in a sensible and careful way.

D.J is possibly our best Chairman ever! He's very capable, very experienced in big projects and best of all he seems to have no personal axe to grind i.e. he's not in this to feather his own nest. Meanwhile we've picked up a good manager too, someone who can pick a player and can organise a team. So with these two onboard (D.J and A.A.) I feel we can be a little ambitious. If D.J. thinks we can afford it and A.A. thinks it will benefit the team and club - let's push on and do it.

D.J didn't flinch from offloading Styche when finances dictated - so I don't think he's the type of person to consider the hybrid model if there were financial risks involved.
spen666 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm
In the football league, if the player was good enough, he would expect to get a new contract. Relying on cup windfall money to finance a hybrid model there is no such expectation
Spen, 3 things here.

1) we are not a football league club.
2) just because a player expects a new contract doesn't mean he automatically has to have one. A one year contract does exactly what it says on the tin - it is a fixed term contract to work, on expiry you look again, you reassess - maybe the player thinks he can better himself somewhere else, maybe the club want to offer him more money or less. Other jobs work this way too, not just football.
3) We are not "relying on cup windfall money to finance a hybrid model" You seem to be stuck on this point.

In fact "windfall" is an unfortunate term. It is in fact money that DFC has generated as a business by playing well. We could play well in the league and get to the top of the table and get bigger crowds, and the higher income, would this be termed League "windfall" money? I realise that on this thread Darlopete first used the term in question, so I'm not hounding my learned friend Spen on this point.

We've got to push on in some way otherwise what's the point - and this idea seems to be a sensible way forward, however some people on here seem scared or negative for some reason. As said above, I feel at present we have a good leadership at the top.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!