Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:39 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 pm
I didn't know they were bankrolled, I thought they were one of the good ones. I too could well be wrong.
You are NOT wrong.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:31 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 pm
I didn't know they were bankrolled, I thought they were one of the good ones. I too could well be wrong.
Well no one knew BPA were bankrolled and thought Bower was working miracles on a shoestring.

Call me an old cynic but Solihull Moors are able to sign players from here there and everywhere on to full time contracts, and their crowds so far this season are 1,591. Last season, when they went full time, the crowds were less. Where is the money coming from to pay a full time squad?

The figures don't stack up for me.
Do a quick google search. They own the bloody big carpark and rent space to the car workers. Cash on a daily basis.
It makes them far more than they get via the gates.

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:57 pm

https://solihullobserver.co.uk/sport/so ... s-on-4857/
Looks like Eds right, Land Rover is nearby.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Ted Forster has been making the same point over and over again on the Tin Shed. Could it be that EdJohns is his latest alias?

jjljks
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Tough one for Quakers to win, but there are a lot of exiles in the Midlands who would be happy to go & get behind them. Solihull may be happy to stick a few of their younger players in, as with such a big squad, just to keep them interested so we may have a better chance if they do.

polam
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by polam » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:14 pm

onewayup wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:13 pm
Oh i remember it well,uriah Rennie being accused of brown envelop acceptance at the time think it was Rennie,s first season in the football league.one hell of a lot of controversy over where 12 mins extra time came from .i believe his first game in the league was at Darlington, might have that wrong mind.
Correct, his first league game was at Feethams. Had a shocker and sent off a Darlo player.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:17 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:31 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 pm
I didn't know they were bankrolled, I thought they were one of the good ones. I too could well be wrong.
Well no one knew BPA were bankrolled and thought Bower was working miracles on a shoestring.

Call me an old cynic but Solihull Moors are able to sign players from here there and everywhere on to full time contracts, and their crowds so far this season are 1,591. Last season, when they went full time, the crowds were less. Where is the money coming from to pay a full time squad?

The figures don't stack up for me.
Do a quick google search. They own the bloody big carpark and rent space to the car workers. Cash on a daily basis.
It makes them far more than they get via the gates.
The arrangement for contractors working at the car plant to use a couple of hundred car parking spaces at the ground was only ever based on temporary time-limited planning approvals and came to an end some time ago. In any case it was never of such a scale to finance the more recent major redevelopment of the ground and employing a big squad of full-time professional players.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:31 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 pm
I didn't know they were bankrolled, I thought they were one of the good ones. I too could well be wrong.
Well no one knew BPA were bankrolled and thought Bower was working miracles on a shoestring.

Call me an old cynic but Solihull Moors are able to sign players from here there and everywhere on to full time contracts, and their crowds so far this season are 1,591. Last season, when they went full time, the crowds were less. Where is the money coming from to pay a full time squad?

The figures don't stack up for me.
Do a quick google search. They own the bloody big carpark and rent space to the car workers. Cash on a daily basis.
It makes them far more than they get via the gates.
That's what they want you to believe. All bankrolled clubs try and pretend that it's down to fantastic unique income streams and not down to the money man at the top throwing money at his toy.

Used to be the same at Spendy until Brad came out and said he'd invested 7 figures into them.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

LoidLucan
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:29 pm

B for .......... :lol:

biccynana
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by biccynana » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:45 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:26 pm
The perfect combination of an away trip, about as far away as was possible at this stage of the draw, against a better team we stand to probably lose against, and a crap day out with a tiny crowd.
Sounds like Walsall away, and look how that turned out :thumbup:

biccynana
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by biccynana » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:58 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 pm
They are owned by the very wealthy Darryl Eales, who used to own Oxford United and years ago put in a £30m bid to buy Birmingham City. It's not some kind of incredible romantic fairytale that they are riding high in the National League. It's down to being well-resourced.
And managed by Tim Flowers, it seems. Luther Blissett's nephew, Nathan, plays up front.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Ted Forster has been making the same point over and over again on the Tin Shed. Could it be that EdJohns is his latest alias?
You might very well think that, I couldn’t possibly comment....

If you look over on the Rugby League thread, Pete gives the game away.

Ted would know all about funding football clubs, given his massively successful attempt with us.....
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Just had a peek. Yep. Ted is back, or maybe he never went away. Either way, he's adamant to the point of exasperation that Solihull aren't bankrolled and that any money is made from their car park.

Vokuhila
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:59 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Ted Forster has been making the same point over and over again on the Tin Shed. Could it be that EdJohns is his latest alias?
You might very well think that, I couldn’t possibly comment....

If you look over on the Rugby League thread, Pete gives the game away.

Ted would know all about funding football clubs, given his massively successful attempt with us.....
Ah, suddenly it all makes sense :lol:

I'm not convinced Pete's in on the fact it's him though - that reference to 'Ted' could well have just been a typo and I thought Ted was pretty much dead to him (pun intended) after Ted'snotdeadgate:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I think we've wasted enough time on Ted over the years and its time to move on. This MB is better off without him.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:20 am

Mind you, car parks must be big business, though not as lucrative as Ted's £15 million fantasy chippy in Rhodes.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:53 am

Come on Ghost, you've missed a trick there. Clearly his fantasy chippy has a massive car park next to it which he rents out to make his mega money. He makes next to nothing from the chippy itself.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 am

This tie will be a real contrast in styles, that's for sure. Tim Flowers makes no secret of the fact that he likes to bang the ball into the box as quickly as possible and favours big, bullying, physical players. He said that he soon came to appreciate that fancy technical football gets short shrift in non-league.

He said: "We're a powerful, physical side who can mix our styles up. Watch any team in this league, they roll the ball out to a full-back before he dribbles it two yards and then cracks it 75 yards. So don't try and kid yourself you're a footballing team when you're not. There's a couple that try to play in our league, but not many.

"Our DNA, the way we want to play, is to get the ball up to the final third and play there. We have throws and corners and free-kicks that are hurting people. That's not rocket science, it's what most teams in our league would do."

Tin hats on lads!

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:16 am

LoidLucan wrote:This tie will be a real contrast in styles, that's for sure. Tim Flowers makes no secret of the fact that he likes to bang the ball into the box as quickly as possible and favours big, bullying, physical players. He said that he soon came to appreciate that fancy technical football gets short shrift in non-league.

He said: "We're a powerful, physical side who can mix our styles up. Watch any team in this league, they roll the ball out to a full-back before he dribbles it two yards and then cracks it 75 yards. So don't try and kid yourself you're a footballing team when you're not. There's a couple that try to play in our league, but not many.

"Our DNA, the way we want to play, is to get the ball up to the final third and play there. We have throws and corners and free-kicks that are hurting people. That's not rocket science, it's what most teams in our league would do."

Tin hats on lads!
This could be a tough one particularly as we are not known as a big, physical side.Looking at some of the videos, they play very direct and long throws and set pieces are the main source of their game.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


JE93
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by JE93 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:40 am

Will be interesting to see how seriously Solihull take the competition, as people said in the Gainsborough match thread, no one really cares about the trophy until you get to the semi-finals and the potential for a Wembley appearance looms into sight. Solihull are making some big investments to try and push themselves towards the football league and are well placed in the league. They've got a big FA cup game v Rotherham a couple of weeks before. Could this be the game they target to rest a few players to get them ready for what is always a busy Christmas period? If so could be an opportunity for us. But in all honesty the FA cup satisfied the cup run criteria for me so far this season. Anything further would be a bonus but not really a loss if it doesn't happen.

Certainly will be a mismatch of styles but arguably some of our best results, Alfreton and Southport have come against the more direct sides within our league. If nothing else, maybe they can lend us a striker... they only have 8. :shock:

spen666
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by spen666 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:11 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 am
This tie will be a real contrast in styles, that's for sure. Tim Flowers makes no secret of the fact that he likes to bang the ball into the box as quickly as possible and favours big, bullying, physical players. He said that he soon came to appreciate that fancy technical football gets short shrift in non-league.

He said: "We're a powerful, physical side who can mix our styles up. Watch any team in this league, they roll the ball out to a full-back before he dribbles it two yards and then cracks it 75 yards. So don't try and kid yourself you're a footballing team when you're not. There's a couple that try to play in our league, but not many.

"Our DNA, the way we want to play, is to get the ball up to the final third and play there. We have throws and corners and free-kicks that are hurting people. That's not rocket science, it's what most teams in our league would do."

Tin hats on lads!

Not seen them this season, but last season saw them twice and your post is a perfect description of them. They were a big strong side who throw their weight around. Not pleasant from a football purist point of view.

AndyPark
Posts: 11484
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:19 pm

https://bsolihullmoors.runboard.com/t5081,offset=20

Absolute state of some of the comments in here. Muppets.

H1987
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Honestly, there's worse bankrolled clubs out there (Salford and Fleetwood the immediate ones which spring to mind). I don't think they're exactly blowing the competition away. Plenty of clubs have some kind of benefactor, even at our level. It's a shame we don't have someone to chip in for a player or two when the going gets tough.

All that aside, my general lack of enthusiasm is that it's about the toughest tie we could've had, mixed with being a pretty unattractive trip. There's so many other former leagues clubs with an actual fanbase we could have had, or small teams where it would have been in our favour to progress. Worst of both worlds.

I get no one expected us to push Walsall all the way, but that was never so unattractive in the first place. It was a trip to a football league club for the first time in forever.

MCFCDarlo3
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City
Location: Manchester

Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:40 pm

We can win this, looking forward to the trip and game

jjljks
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:10 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:53 am
Come on Ghost, you've missed a trick there. Clearly his fantasy chippy has a massive car park next to it which he rents out to make his mega money. He makes next to nothing from the chippy itself.
Yes, small potatoes

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4051
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm
Just had a peek. Yep. Ted is back, or maybe he never went away. Either way, he's adamant to the point of exasperation that Solihull aren't bankrolled and that any money is made from their car park.

Hang on, I'm a bit slow with this revelation - "Ted" is "Ed" ??

The poster Edjohns (strongly held political views on off topic board) is really Ted Forster (would be purchaser of DFC) ?
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm
Just had a peek. Yep. Ted is back, or maybe he never went away. Either way, he's adamant to the point of exasperation that Solihull aren't bankrolled and that any money is made from their car park.

Hang on, I'm a bit slow with this revelation - "Ted" is "Ed" ??

The poster Edjohns (strongly held political views on off topic board) is really Ted Forster (would be purchaser of DFC) ?
You might very well think that, I couldn’t possibly comment.

And by “strongly held” I think you mean borderline racist.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Wiseacre
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Their message board had an unkind remark about going bust and big stadiums but as we know that kind of thing can happen to the best of clubs.
Even an over-inflated heavy metal team like Soilyhull - I hope we give them a lesson in kicking a football. Also, are they up to Walsall's level?

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:15 pm

We need Solihull - Rotherham to be a draw tomorrow night. A replay would then be midweek before they play us in the Trophy, meaning they'll rotate their squad to prioritise the FA Cup and hopefully play the kids against us. That's what I'm banking on anyway.

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1683
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 am

You'd have to look hard to find that comment on their horrible yellow and blue forum. I'm sure it's little read and we should be well used to being wound up by now. It's a bit like the tedious sign on,sign on chant the opposition give out on merseyside, at least forty years now!

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Solihull Moors Away - FA Trophy 1st Rnd

Post by robsraiders » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:13 pm

On BT Sports tonight Beating Rotherham at moment 2 up inside 15 mins a big ugly side with a shoot on sight policy, I think we will be up against it in the Trophy

Post Reply