Food Bank Collection on Saturday 30th November

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

robsraiders
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by robsraiders » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:12 pm

We will be holding our annual collection for the King’s Church Foodbank at the Telford match on Saturday, so now's the time to buy a little extra in your weekly foodshop, or to check your food storage at home for "in-date" items.

The King’s Church Foodbank is situated on Whessoe Road and is part of a network of foodbanks across the town. Other centres include Grange Road Baptist Church, St. Mary’s Community Centre in Cockerton, St. Andrew’s Church in Haughton-le-Skerne and St. Columba Church on Clifton Road.

The Foodbank is a place where anyone who finds themselves in times of hardship can come and receive an emergency bag of food.

The King’s Church is always grateful for any food donations they receive. However, this year we have asked them to let us know of any specific items that are in high demand. Therefore, if you could bring any items to the AFC Telford match from the following list, they would be particularly welcome

UHT Milk Tinned Meats/ Fish Stuffing & Gravy

Instant Mash Tinned Potatoes Nuts

Rice Puddings Cereal Pasta or Curry Sauces

Hot Chocolate Coffee Male Teenage Gifts

Men’s Toiletries i.e. Deodorants and Shower Gel

Quakers fans have always given generously, so lets do our best again this year

Vokuhila

Re: Food Bank Collection on Saturday 30th November

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:08 pm

*BUMP*

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Took a bag full of stuff down & there was already a whole load of stuff in & around the wheelie bin. Does anybody know how much was collected?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am

Good man Pete well done. I have always supported the collection in the past but completely forgot this time. Never too late though I can still donate at Sainsbury’s. Just a pity that after nearly 10 years of a Tory led government we still need to do this. Hope they are going to make reducing poverty more of a priority in future when they are re-elected as they surely will be.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am
Good man Pete well done. I have always supported the collection in the past but completely forgot this time. Never too late though I can still donate at Sainsbury’s. Just a pity that after nearly 10 years of a Tory led government we still need to do this. Hope they are going to make reducing poverty more of a priority in future when they are re-elected as they surely will be.
No politics please.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm

It's inherently political though. It's a damned disgrace that the worlds 5th richest country needs food banks. There were 45 in 2010, there are now about 2,000. I wonder what has happened in the meantime :shh:

Well done to all involved, but we shouldn't have to do this. It doesn't have to be this way (and I appreciate there's an off topic board on here, but this clearly crosses over between the two - you can't deny the link).

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Quite agree with poppyfield, there's threads on the off topic forum for politics. A few years ago I was doing a temporary Christmas job at Sainsbury's on Victoria Rd. I served a young couple who bought around £150 of food & they took it all to the food donation point. They said that they did it every Christmas, what a wonderful gesture. :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 pm
Old Git wrote:
No politics please.
Very hard to keep politics out of a thread about food banks I would have thought!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Old Git wrote:
poppyfield wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 pm
Old Git wrote:
No politics please.
Very hard to keep politics out of a thread about food banks I would have thought!
It’s very easy. The thread is about the fact Darlington FC is holding a collection, not on the reasons for foodbanks existing.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 pm

So you don’t think that questioning the need for food banks is relevant.It must be cozy in your Ivory Tower.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 pm
So you don’t think that questioning the need for food banks is relevant.It must be cozy in your Ivory Tower.
Not on a football forum when there is an off topic forum with plenty of ongoing political debate that this could be added to

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Old Git wrote:So you don’t think that questioning the need for food banks is relevant.It must be cozy in your Ivory Tower.
Me - It’s possible not to include politics here.

You - You live in an Ivory Tower and don’t care!

Your overreaction makes you look foolish.

All I said was it’s possible to keep politics out of this thread, as people have requested. I’m not commenting one way or the other on the politics behind the increase in foodbanks.

If you want to discuss the need for foodbanks, there’s an excellent section of the messageboard to do that.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:38 pm

No overreacting from me I think you are well enough known to be the big bully who regularly does that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Old Git wrote:No overreacting from me I think you are well enough known to be the big bully who regularly does that.
And straight in with the ad hominem attacks. Well done.

All this because I said you can comment on politics in another part of the messageboard. Descending into petty namecalling because of that is very much an overreaction.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:29 pm

The football club, as part of the community, is raising funds and awareness, because it is necessary. You don't get to shout down people pointing out *why* they exist, and claim we can't talk about it, because you don't like the observations. The football club might be apolitical, food banks are not.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 pm

H1987 wrote:The football club, as part of the community, is raising funds and awareness, because it is necessary. You don't get to shout down people pointing out *why* they exist, and claim we can't talk about it, because you don't like the observations. The football club might be apolitical, food banks are not.
Where did I say you can’t talk about it? Kindly point that one out to me. If anything I’ve been encouraging the discussion, just elsewhere on the messageboard.

All I’ve done in this thread is make the point (as have Darlo_Pete, poppyfield and MB86DFC) that there are places on this messageboard to have those political discussions. Politicising this action by club is entirely unnecessary and not what people on here want.

This is a thread about a positive action by the club. If you want to express some moral outrage about the necessity of foodbanks, go ahead - but do it in the off-topic forums. You don’t get to hijack this particular thread for your own political purposes.

Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Going to end this for now as I want to follow events at Leamington but have enjoyed our little spat Gramps. Look forward to crossing swords again soon. Come on Darlo.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Old Git wrote:Going to end this for now as I want to follow events at Leamington but have enjoyed our little spat Gramps. Look forward to crossing swords again soon. Come on Darlo.
If it weren’t for your sanctimony and previous ego, we wouldn’t have crossed swords in the first place.

Ta ta for now.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 pm
H1987 wrote:The football club, as part of the community, is raising funds and awareness, because it is necessary. You don't get to shout down people pointing out *why* they exist, and claim we can't talk about it, because you don't like the observations. The football club might be apolitical, food banks are not.
Where did I say you can’t talk about it? Kindly point that one out to me. If anything I’ve been encouraging the discussion, just elsewhere on the messageboard.

All I’ve done in this thread is make the point (as have Darlo_Pete, poppyfield and MB86DFC) that there are places on this messageboard to have those political discussions. Politicising this action by club is entirely unnecessary and not what people on here want.

This is a thread about a positive action by the club. If you want to express some moral outrage about the necessity of foodbanks, go ahead - but do it in the off-topic forums. You don’t get to hijack this particular thread for your own political purposes.
It's related discussion. The post is about Darlington Football Club and foodbanks. The comments you don't like are related to foodbanks, which the football club is helping out. Just like we'd like discuss things like the respected background of potential investors into the club, the respected merits of what the club does in the community outside of football is ultimately connected to the football club. You're not an admin, and you not liking the comments doesn't mean people can't make them. No one made you get involved. If it was a generic post about the existence of food banks, you'd have a point. But it isn't, so you don't.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:35 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm
It's related discussion. The post is about Darlington Football Club and foodbanks. The comments you don't like are related to foodbanks, which the football club is helping out. Just like we'd like discuss things like the respected background of potential investors into the club, the respected merits of what the club does in the community outside of football is ultimately connected to the football club. You're not an admin, and you not liking the comments doesn't mean people can't make them. No one made you get involved. If it was a generic post about the existence of food banks, you'd have a point. But it isn't, so you don't.
Darlington FC running a foodbank collection is relevant to this forum. The discussion you're trying to have on the politics behind foodbanks in society is more generic and not linked whatsoever to Darlington FC.

The background of a potential owner/investor directly impacts on the football club. The politics behind foodbanks being necessary in society (which is the discussion you want to have) are nothing to do with Darlington FC. So you're entirely wrong on that point.

Given that yours and Old Git's posts on this thread ARE generic comments on the existence of foodbanks, actually they don't have relevance here whatsoever. You and Old Git (who may or may not be another Ted Forster account, going off a DM I've just received) are not commenting on Darlington FC's actions. You're commenting about the general need for foodbanks in society. Read it back to yourself if you like.

The reason you want to have this discussion here is you're being opportunistic in trying to politicise the club's actions. People in this thread (not just me) have said they don't want it here.

Now this whole thing is entirely pathetic so I'd suggest leaving it there (if your ego lets you). But more than happy to have a political discussion about foodbanks and everything else that goes with it, in the Off-Topic forum.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:39 pm

Oh dear rumbled !

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Agree with Gramps and others, this is the DFC area of the message board where we try to keep it to football and DFC football related topics.

The club are doing a good thing and so are those who participate and that's it, the why foodbanks are required is for another area of the forum.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:35 pm
H1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm
Darlington FC running a foodbank collection is relevant to this forum. The discussion you're trying to have on the politics behind foodbanks in society is more generic and not linked whatsoever to Darlington FC.

The background of a potential owner/investor directly impacts on the football club. The politics behind foodbanks being necessary in society (which is the discussion you want to have) are nothing to do with Darlington FC. So you're entirely wrong on that point.

Given that yours and Old Git's posts on this thread ARE generic comments on the existence of foodbanks, actually they don't have relevance here whatsoever. You and Old Git (who may or may not be another Ted Forster account, going off a DM I've just received) are not commenting on Darlington FC's actions. You're commenting about the general need for foodbanks in society. Read it back to yourself if you like.

The reason you want to have this discussion here is you're being opportunistic in trying to politicise the club's actions. People in this thread (not just me) have said they don't want it here.

Now this whole thing is entirely pathetic so I'd suggest leaving it there (if your ego lets you). But more than happy to have a political discussion about foodbanks and everything else that goes with it, in the Off-Topic forum.
I'm the one with the ego? :lol: You're the one conducting yourself like the self appointed forum police. You inserted yourself into the conversation that you could have left alone, and you're only doing it because you find it inconvenient the club has to do things like this. Darlington Football Club doesn't exist in a vacuum. There's nothing in this post that doesn't connect to something the football club is doing. If the foodbank wasn't needed or didn't exist, the club wouldn't have to interact with it. It interacts with it as an active part of the community. This post discusses that, and the wish that it didn't have to do it. You inserted yourself into this conversation because you have to shout down everyone who doesn't agree with your own opinion.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm
I'm the one with the ego? :lol: You're the one conducting yourself like the self appointed forum police.
Well me, Super Les, Darlo_Pete, MB86DFC and poppyfield all think the same. You're the one trying politicise the club's actions.
You inserted yourself into the conversation that you could have left alone,
This bit is comical. I have an opinion and expressed it. I could easily say you politicised the club's actions when you didn't have to.
And you're only doing it because you find it inconvenient the club has to do things like this.
I'm confused on this one. Why is it inconvenient to me? I don't like the fact people need to turn to foodbanks at all. All I said was this discussion should go in the Off-Topic Room.
Darlington Football Club doesn't exist in a vacuum. There's nothing in this post that doesn't connect to something the football club is doing. If the foodbank wasn't needed or didn't exist, the club wouldn't have to interact with it. It interacts with it as an active part of the community.
This post discusses that, and the wish that it didn't have to do it.
Well you seem to be the only one in this thread who believes that. Everyone else seems to recognise there's a difference between making a post asking fans to contribute to a Darlington FC foodbank collection (which was robsraiders) and a discussion on the politics behind foodbanks' existence (which was you). You're on your own on this one.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 pm

Ted Forster has more incarnations than Doctor Who. The next thing you know he'll start posting as a lady.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 pm
H1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm
I'm the one with the ego? :lol: You're the one conducting yourself like the self appointed forum police.
Well me, Super Les, Darlo_Pete, MB86DFC and poppyfield all think the same. You're the one trying politicise the club's actions.
You inserted yourself into the conversation that you could have left alone,
This bit is comical. I have an opinion and expressed it. I could easily say you politicised the club's actions when you didn't have to.
And you're only doing it because you find it inconvenient the club has to do things like this.
I'm confused on this one. Why is it inconvenient to me? I don't like the fact people need to turn to foodbanks at all. All I said was this discussion should go in the Off-Topic Room.
Darlington Football Club doesn't exist in a vacuum. There's nothing in this post that doesn't connect to something the football club is doing. If the foodbank wasn't needed or didn't exist, the club wouldn't have to interact with it. It interacts with it as an active part of the community.
This post discusses that, and the wish that it didn't have to do it.
Well you seem to be the only one in this thread who believes that. Everyone else seems to recognise there's a difference between making a post asking fans to contribute to a Darlington FC foodbank collection (which was robsraiders) and a discussion on the politics behind foodbanks' existence (which was you). You're on your own on this one.
I'm not getting into one of these endless tit for tat debates with you. The discussion here is related to the football club and its actions with the local community. You're not the admin. :shh:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:54 pm

I don’t have to be. The majority in this thread agree with me. I notice you’ve dodged my questions from the previous post.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:54 pm
I don’t have to be. The majority in this thread agree with me. I notice you’ve dodged my questions from the previous post. Image
Well done Gramps you’ve managed to find 4 people to agree with you,must be a record.One of them is Darlo Pete however.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Anyone else yawning? More importantly Rob, how did it go? I've just added to our local one due to your post!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:52 pm

This is a regular occurrence where the football club collect for food banks. I've never seen a thread about them descend into a political rant in to the rights and wrongs of food banks. It looks to me like a case of people who dont like the current government to try and make political points during the run up to the election.