Interview with Johnston on Official Website

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Interview with Johnston on Official Website

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:11 pm

biccynana wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:53 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:30 pm
H1987 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:49 pm
Essentially, it comes down to being able to sell more matchday hospitality.Any other revenue that the Arena can generate wouldn't be ours anyway. We won't own it. I just can't see how it would be boosted so much that it would cover having to pay two lots of rent, and justify essentially abandoning everything we've built so far, to move to an objectively worse experience for over 90% of the matchday crowd.

I understand the need to generate income. I do. But i don't agree it should be done at the cost of ruining going to the match for 90% of supporters. I've personally no interest in hospitality. I've done it once at Blackwell just to give it a go, but most of the time, i'm happy standing. Most of our fans are this way, and I don't want to see the match experience ruined by going back to a soulless, empty bowl.
I know a good few fans that would be happy to return to the Arena, rather than play at soulless BM.
As opposed to the Arena, just bursting with charm and character.
Well me & others would prefer the Arena, even if we are only 10% of the fanbase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:11 pm
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
H1987 wrote:
Essentially, it comes down to being able to sell more matchday hospitality.Any other revenue that the Arena can generate wouldn't be ours anyway. We won't own it. I just can't see how it would be boosted so much that it would cover having to pay two lots of rent, and justify essentially abandoning everything we've built so far, to move to an objectively worse experience for over 90% of the matchday crowd.

I understand the need to generate income. I do. But i don't agree it should be done at the cost of ruining going to the match for 90% of supporters. I've personally no interest in hospitality. I've done it once at Blackwell just to give it a go, but most of the time, i'm happy standing. Most of our fans are this way, and I don't want to see the match experience ruined by going back to a soulless, empty bowl.
I know a good few fans that would be happy to return to the Arena, rather than play at soulless BM.
Well me & others would prefer the Arena, even if we are only 10% of the fanbase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That may be so, but you can't honestly think the Arena is more soulful than BM, can you? I know it's all relative, but even so...

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 pm

biccynana wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
H1987 wrote:

That may be so, but you can't honestly think the Arena is more soulful than BM, can you? I know it's all relative, but even so...
I know it is hard for you to comprehend but I'd prefer to play at the Arena, rather the BM & others have the same opinion as me.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 pm
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

I know it is hard for you to comprehend but I'd prefer to play at the Arena, rather the BM & others have the same opinion as me.
Wind your neck in, Pete. I couldn't give a monkeys if you want to play at BM, the Arena, or the dark side of the moon. I was asking you about the comparative soullessness of BM v the Arena, rather than questioning your preference for the venue of DFC home games. It was quite clear really, so I'm not sure you're in a position to question my powers of comprehension.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:49 am

That exchange made me laugh! I'm not sure we'd survive on crowds of around 150?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:39 am

Here is the future in the arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5SgUaK7-Pk

This was with around 1600 in attendance. The thought of staring at those pale pink seats with only 6% of the arena filled is depressing.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:28 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:39 am
Here is the future in the arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5SgUaK7-Pk

This was with around 1600 in attendance. The thought of staring at those pale pink seats with only 6% of the arena filled is depressing.

I could only digest 1 minute 20 seconds of that. Absolutelybloodyawful.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:42 am

Red seats was always the wrong colour for us, why did George go for red, was it when he wanted to change the shirts to red and white stripes? It looks like the seats are almost completely bleached now anyway, so if we do go back to the Arena we might finally have white seats.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:50 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 pm
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

It is very hard to comprehend.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:42 am
Red seats was always the wrong colour for us, why did George go for red, was it when he wanted to change the shirts to red and white stripes? It looks like the seats are almost completely bleached now anyway, so if we do go back to the Arena we might finally have white seats.
Sunderland fan, wasn’t he?

I quite like what some clubs do with the multicoloured mix, so it looks a bit more full even when it’s not. I’d use a mix of black and grey for ours if I had my way.

Mind, no creative seat work will ever make the Arena look good. It’s just those faded red ones somehow manage to make it look even worse. It’s not just the seats though, it’s manky as hell all around.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 pm

Red seats were the cheapest, simple as that

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:01 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm
Yarblockos wrote:

I quite like what some clubs do with the multicoloured mix, so it looks a bit more full even when it’s not. I’d use a mix of black and grey for ours if I had my way.

Mind, no creative seat work will ever make the Arena look good. It’s just those faded red ones somehow manage to make it look even worse. It’s not just the seats though, it’s manky as hell all around.
Yes good call those multi coloured seats look a lot better, although I doubt DMP will be willing to change them. :D

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:31 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:01 pm
H1987 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm
Yarblockos wrote:

Yes good call those multi coloured seats look a lot better, although I doubt DMP will be willing to change them. :D
£££££