Spennymoor Away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennymoor Away

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 am

They are all over social media desperately trying to smear us with the fact that there was plenty of space down that far end, with photos 'proving' their point. They're saying that Darlo fans deliberately overcrowded that area. The fact that MyOpinion debunks this will not matter a jot to them. And does anyone really trust the National League to solely hold Spennymoor to blame? I don't.

davidcurrieclass

Post by davidcurrieclass » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:46 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 am
They are all over social media desperately trying to smear us with the fact that there was plenty of space down that far end, with photos 'proving' their point. They're saying that Darlo fans deliberately overcrowded that area. The fact that MyOpinion debunks this will not matter a jot to them. And does anyone really trust the National League to solely hold Spennymoor to blame? I don't.
theywont mention that it was crowded because its one of the few places you can see the game! All our previous games there we have filled the south terrace and that meant down the west terrace it wasnt as filled up so people got a better view

FozzQuaker

Post by FozzQuaker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 am

The moment it was announced the stitch up was ready to go, the excuses and the blame game was ready, I hope the League see right through Spennymoor, I was not there, but from what I have seen and heard, it is lucky there no serious injuries, and Spennymoor had there excuses ready the moment this farce was announced.

I thought the days of being penned in like Animals were left in 1989 with the publication of The Taylor Report, I hope anyone who was injured pursue it further and are better soon

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:59 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 am
You mean their ‘official supporters groups’ by any chance?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 pm

True. Sadly, I feel they'll get their way. Police already investigating 'Crowd disturbances' so our fans will be to blame no doubt and the bigger picture will be left untouched. It's the convenient way out.
The situation reminded me of the bad old days of the 80s at football. When (in the main) decent people were hemmed in and overcrowded and generally treated like dirt it created an inflammatory, unpleasant atmosphere. Only when the authorities realised this and changed the context did things start to change for the better. Sadly, I have no trust that this context will form part of the investigation. And all the arse holes from Spenny who are simply blaming our fans are unfortunately too unintelligent to see this bigger picture. One of the biggest characteristics of stupidity is the inability to empathise, these people are too stupid to see the wider context.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:16 pm

I hope our club stands up for our fans. Regardless of any bad behaviour from Darlington supporters (which there was some - as there was from Spennymoor Town supporters), the organisation of the game by Spennymoor, the stewarding, the segregation and the quality (or lack of) of the front barrier put our fans at risk of harm, completely avoidably if Spennymoor town had anything resembling competence off the field. I hope when any statement arrives from DFC, it reflects this and stands up for our right to go to an away match in a safe environment with competent organisation and stewarding.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 pm
True. Sadly, I feel they'll get their way. Police already investigating 'Crowd disturbances' so our fans will be to blame no doubt and the bigger picture will be left untouched. It's the convenient way out.
There's no way the blame can be shifted over this.

Spennymoor Town - they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery (Field)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:31 pm

I wish I had more faith than you FatCat. However, the police are only investigating 'Crowd disturbances'. They're not investigating overcrowding. They won't be interested in any context or reasons behind it. That's for an enquiry to deal with. Once they've found what they want via CCTV, which is a few fans misbehaving, that'll be enough for people to judge our fans to be to blame. We're Darlo fans remember, we're scum of the earth with previous in the general publics eyes. Those sorts of stereotypes are hard to remove, and I fear a smear campaign against us supported by CCTV of a few scuffles and backed by Durham Constabulary has every chance of succeeding.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:33 pm

It's already happening, in fact it was happening on the day by their board members.

Worst thing is most of us will say that some of our following let us down on occasions and certainly at these games but Spennymoor can't accept any responsibility for anything.

Stewards directed people into that area for some reason, opened it up further which again was a further mistake and that's before the fact that if not offering safe are for the volume of people they should have made it all ticket.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Got to agree with Darlo Pete about the 2 turnstiles. That was another amateurish thing.

Didn't believe that if there was only 863 of our fans, that there was around 1400 spenny fans. An EXTRA 600ish fans...not for me. But they were never going to say over the 900 were they.

We have to take some responsibility that some of our fans acted like idiots again. But so did theres. Infact one of their fans ran out on the pitch, and I don't remember anything getting done about that. I think we need to be careful and not try to claim that every single issue was caused by the poor organisation, even though a lot of issues did stem from this

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:37 pm

From the echo:

“A spokesman for Durham Constabularly said officers were made aware of a disturbance at Spennymoor Town Football Club shortly before 4pm yesterday (January 1).

He said: "It is believed a number of supporters breached a fence and threw bottles and coins.

"Police along with stewards re-instated the fence and separated the group while the match continued.

"No injuries were sustained.

“We are reviewing CCTV footage of the incident and enquiries are ongoing.”

Awful comment - looks like they’ve made their mind up already. Even more of a requirement now for DFC to stand up for our fans. I’ve no issue calling out when our fans behave like idiots, or when they cause unnecessary trouble, but this is different.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:31 pm
I wish I had more faith than you FatCat. However, the police are only investigating 'Crowd disturbances'. They're not investigating overcrowding. They won't be interested in any context or reasons behind it. That's for an enquiry to deal with. Once they've found what they want via CCTV, which is a few fans misbehaving, that'll be enough for people to judge our fans to be to blame.
See what you mean.

The safety aspect concerns footballing authorities and must be looked at - this is nothing to do with any tribal differences, it's to make sure fans of any visiting team are kept safe.
DARLO333 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:18 am
The Football Supporters Association are aware of events and welcome first hand accounts, photos and video footage- Please send to ; Andy.walsh@thefsa.org.uk , so he has first hand accounts rather that online hearsay.

I hope our own club and supporters group take a firm line on this and stand up for Darlington Fans after these events.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:58 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 am
davidcurrieclass wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am
My fear is due to yesterday next time we play them there. Play offs? you never know that they will now give us only 500 tickets. The problem wasnt lack of ticketing but simply not giving us a proper section. We should have been given most of the south terrace behind the goal with a gap stewarded between us and the end of the terrace with no spenny in the south terrace. They could then have had the whole east side, north side and the west side up to where the tv gantry is. Plenty enough room for there 800 odd fans.
We will get the standard allowed which is 600 I believe and get that same section, that will be it now.

They don't have to give us anything but the minimum allowance, which is what we done to Halifax and they couldn't sell them.

That's it now they won't have open house again, they can't as they will have to be seen to learn lessons of yesterdays shambles.
And that's fine. It's a convenient away game, but its really not a big deal in terms of the prestige of the fixture. I'd honestly rather Spenny got promoted and York stayed down and to keep that away day, even with their horrible new ground. If Uncle Brad wants to squirt a massive chunk of the profit from the only home game of the season they get a crowd in for up the wall then that's his prerogative. And he pretty much has to now. Yesterday was nothing but a Billy big bollocks ego thing and it backfired.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Got to agree with Darlo Pete about the 2 turnstiles. That was another amateurish thing.

Didn't believe that if there was only 863 of our fans, that there was around 1400 spenny fans. An EXTRA 600ish fans...not for me. But they were never going to say over the 900 were they.

We have to take some responsibility that some of our fans acted like idiots again. But so did theres. Infact one of their fans ran out on the pitch, and I don't remember anything getting done about that. I think we need to be careful and not try to claim that every single issue was caused by the poor organisation, even though a lot of issues did stem from this
Plenty spare standing for darlington fans, 863 of them, and correct attendance v darlo 2260 with 863 away fans, now look at attendance v gateshead 1504 244 away fans, now compare the 2 games and its the correct attendance, always going to be more spennymoor fans turning up for the darlo game which was 140 extra. deluded.
have you identified the guy in the white hoodie and the big guy. just 2 of the idiots that stood out over the rest.

al_quaker

Spennymoor Away

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:13 pm

polarbear wrote: have you identified the guy in the white hoodie and the big guy. just 2 of the idiots that stood out over the rest.
Have you identified the guy who ran on the pitch after Spennymoor scored, or the guy who tried to charge into the Darlo fans in the first half? Just 2 of the idiots in the Spennymoor town end.

None of which excuses Spennymoor towns shambolic organisation and shoddy safety barriers of course

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:15 pm

If I was being cynical I could suggest this was a deliberate plan to get Darlo into trouble. First you announce segregation info when it is too late for our officials to raise their concerns then you cram people into an area that clearly isn’t big enough, sit back, wait for the chaos to ensue and then blame us for it. The only way that side holds 900 is if you count the flat standing behind the steps regardless of the fact people can’t see the game.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:18 pm

No-one will be able to talk any sense into anyone from Spenny. It doesn't suit their agenda.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:19 pm

polarbear wrote:
D_F_C wrote:

Plenty spare standing for darlington fans, 863 of them, and correct attendance v darlo 2260 with 863 away fans, now look at attendance v gateshead 1504 244 away fans, now compare the 2 games and its the correct attendance, always going to be more spennymoor fans turning up for the darlo game which was 140 extra. deluded.
have you identified the guy in the white hoodie and the big guy. just 2 of the idiots that stood out over the rest.
I’m curious then. Spennymoor said in the pre game that they had catered for 900 visiting fans.

Before the game they had to open up the extra terracing which had what looked like 150-200 or so in.

At half time they had to then open up extra seating to fit maybe another 150 or so in.

And as plenty of photos show, the terracing was full with the gangways and emergency exits also full.

So how did they hope to fit 900 in just down the side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:28 pm

m62exile wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:19 pm

I’m curious then. Spennymoor said in the pre game that they had catered for 900 visiting fans.

Before the game they had to open up the extra terracing which had what looked like 150-200 or so in.

At half time they had to then open up extra seating to fit maybe another 150 or so in.

And as plenty of photos show, the terracing was full with the gangways and emergency exits also full.

So how did they hope to fit 900 in just down the side?
:clap: brilliant post.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:35 pm

polarbear wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11 pm
D_F_C wrote:

Laughably deluded.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:36 pm

I was down the bottom end, but ended up going to the toilet near to the TV gantry & I couldn't believe how packed the side terrace was from there up too the top stand. I told a few people that barely had any view to go down to the bottom end, which they did. Surely some of the stewards should have been telling fans in this area to move down & they'd have a far better view. The people that did move down on my suggestion, came & thanked me for helping them move to a less crowded area.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:01 pm

In terms of pre-game planning, fan communication and ‘on the day’ organisation, yesterday’s game is one of the worst I’ve been to in 30 years.

I arrived at the ground at c2.15pm and stood in a very long queue on a street to get in. A female steward shouted up that a second turnstile was available for “over 60s and students only” – I asked her, given the size and slow pace of the queue I was stood in (and the trickle using the second turnstile), if there were any plans to open both turnstiles to all to get things moving and was told that there was not.

I got into the ground at c2.35pm or so. Terracing all down the touchline looked rammed and there were two stewards stood in front of ticker tape, ‘blocking’ access to behind the goal. I queued for a cup of tea wondering how on earth, at 5’ 7” tall, I’d get a view of the pitch for the £14 I had paid to get in.

By the time I had purchased my tea, stewards had removed the ticker tape allowing access to a small portion of the terracing behind the goal. Purely so that we could see the pitch, we decided to stand there.

Our section of the ground felt very full and, just before kick-off, I saw a number of our fans somehow running through the big wooden double doors next to the turnstiles, effectively gaining entry to the ground for free.

5/10 minutes into the game, a lad in a white hoodie who was stood next to the perimeter barrier in front of us, complained to a steward that said barrier was buckling due to the number of fans and that it looked like it wasn’t set in concrete. I didn’t hear the steward’s reply directly, but I’m lead to believe it was along the lines of “well stop leaning on it then…”.

The first 45 minutes passed off okay, save for the fact that I was concerned that a small number of stewards and some ticker tape was all there was between our fans and Spennymoor’s fans. It all felt as though everything was on a knife edge.

At half-time, everything started to go wrong.

As I saw it, Spennymoor fans made their way from the seated area behind the goal at the other end of the pitch to the terraced area behind the goal we were stood near. As a result, the 6/7 stewards stood to my right started pushing us towards the terracing down the by-line to accommodate more room for Spennymoor fans behind the goal. “Move that way!” was the recurring yell from the stewards, pointing towards our fans stood down the side of the pitch. There was nowhere for us to go so, as we were being pushed, people in front of me were pressed against the loose perimeter barrier and the whole lot gave way. There is video evidence of this on Twitter and, any suggestion that “bad behaviour” by Darlington fans caused this, is totally out of order. It was weight of people.

Stewards didn’t listen when we explained there was no room for us all to simply “move round” and it took David Johnston to come over and point out to Spennymoor stewards/security that there were 100s of empty seats at the other end of the ground, so why didn’t they open up a % of that stand to Darlo fans to relieve some of the pressure? This eventually happened and we were able to take a number of steps to our left, albeit not that many.

During the HT delay a police woman walked by and I said to her: “Where are we supposed to go? There is no room…” – she told me she could see that and was trying to help. At one point, a steward pointed a number of us and yelled: “MOVE!” – “where the hell to?!” was our reply, but it fell on deaf ears.

Why the game wasn’t all-ticket I’ll never know. I believe that Spennymoor had sent out social media communication a day or two before the game stating that it wasn’t all-ticket, but that they could accommodate “900 visiting fans”, which was undercooked from my point of view given we had taken 850/900 on previous visits to Brewery Field for midweek night matches.

The game should absolutely have been all-ticket *or* we should have been given a bigger proportion of the ground from the off, with at least two turnstiles open for all, with proper barriers (both around the pitch and for segregation) and have been stewarded by a group of individuals who understood how to control a large group of people wanting to watch a football match.

I resent the reports I have read today that Darlington fans caused the problems and the delay to the second half commencing – it was absolutely bad planning and a total lack of organisation on the day that lead to the issues.

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:06 pm

From my view in the seated main stand it was obvious what was going to happen even at 2pm the barrier looked unsteady.Just before kick off I made a point of mentioning this to a "safety steward" who in turn said they would sort it out at half time.To which I replied it will be too late by then.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Good post Beatroot. Think you should send it to the relevant authorities.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:09 pm
Already done.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:15 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 pm
Old Git wrote:
Already done.
Sums it up perfectly. The chap in the white seems to be getting a lot of flack for breaking the fence. I saw him telling people to keep off it well before it fell.

Darlo fans came in the gate as it was unmanned- thought emergency exits had to be manned at all times?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:24 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 pm
Old Git wrote:
Already done.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Breedon wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:58 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 am
davidcurrieclass wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am
My fear is due to yesterday next time we play them there. Play offs? you never know that they will now give us only 500 tickets. The problem wasnt lack of ticketing but simply not giving us a proper section. We should have been given most of the south terrace behind the goal with a gap stewarded between us and the end of the terrace with no spenny in the south terrace. They could then have had the whole east side, north side and the west side up to where the tv gantry is. Plenty enough room for there 800 odd fans.
We will get the standard allowed which is 600 I believe and get that same section, that will be it now.

They don't have to give us anything but the minimum allowance, which is what we done to Halifax and they couldn't sell them.

That's it now they won't have open house again, they can't as they will have to be seen to learn lessons of yesterdays shambles.
And that's fine. It's a convenient away game, but its really not a big deal in terms of the prestige of the fixture. I'd honestly rather Spenny got promoted and York stayed down and to keep that away day, even with their horrible new ground. If Uncle Brad wants to squirt a massive chunk of the profit from the only home game of the season they get a crowd in for up the wall then that's his prerogative. And he pretty much has to now. Yesterday was nothing but a Billy big bollocks ego thing and it backfired.
Yep agree, smaller allocation of tickets, so those that get one can see and not have themselves put in danger as they were yesterday.

If I don't get one then so be it, for me it's one game I would miss and I wouldn't be bothered to be honest and I go to most home and away. I would rather it was a safe environment for those that go.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Add to that the hassle that the commentator from Darlo Fans Radio got from some of their 'Fans" in the stand. That's a first as well. They really are a nasty little club now.
Cannot stand them tbh Adam, even from our NL season.Cannot put my finger on why but they seem determined to keep one step ahead of us on and off the field.What comes to mind was those comments from Brad Groves a couple of months ago about our "demise" which he then tried to wriggle out of.Would love to see how they cope if and when he calls time on further investing in them.Roll on.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:45 pm

Here is an image from Twitter of the end all those near the Spenny fans should have moved to apparently.

Embarrassing that it was even suggested, imagine another couple of hundred in here.