Elliot and Connel

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Alfie
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Elliot and Connel

Post by Alfie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Another great performance from Elliot last night - we seem to have 2 keepers who are both well above average quality for this league, and so far seem to accept that they are in competition for one place with good grace.

But is this sustainable long term - can we afford two first choice keepers even if they are prepared to go along with it?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12429
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:59 pm

If both are available, we do need one on the bench, as playing without a sub keeper is very dangerous.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2847
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:14 pm

About 2 months ago Elliott wasn't good enough ..Just shows people are quick to shoot down these Part time players and call them because they make a mistake or two, they are only human...
Good on him to turning it around

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


quakerste
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by quakerste » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Elliot was playing with an injury for the first part of the season bringing Connell in allowed him time to recover.

JE93
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by JE93 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Like both keepers and credit to Elliott for turning it around after his injury. The No.1 Jersey is rightfully his atm.

But my personal feeling will always be the same, two no.1 goalkeepers is a luxury we cant afford and isn't the best use of budget. Single No.1, with either a GK coach (like Bell was behind Jameson) / or young lad like Cameron Hall around the squad for emergencies. Use the short term loan market to cover injuries to your no.1.

jjljks
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Connell is not eligible for the FA Trophy so would not be available when we do get to Wembley 👍

H1987
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm

Elliott has been absolutely outstanding lately. If he keeps this up, he could be a long term solution.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4161
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:35 pm

South Shields got knocked out the FA Trophy to Southport, so Connell could well be available for any FA Trophy ties going forward.

Connell couldn’t play last night even if South Shields agreed, because he wasn’t available for the original tie on 14th December.

Fully expect Elliott to retain his place for Saturday though, he’s been outstanding as of late.

karlo-cardiff
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:16 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by karlo-cardiff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Connell can't play or be part of any Darlo team in the trophy this season regardless if south shields are out or not.. Hes been Cup tide so that rules him out completely

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk


User avatar
divas
Posts: 12987
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by divas » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Connell definitely not cup-tied and available for selection on Saturday.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12987
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by divas » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 pm
Like both keepers and credit to Elliott for turning it around after his injury. The No.1 Jersey is rightfully his atm.

But my personal feeling will always be the same, two no.1 goalkeepers is a luxury we cant afford and isn't the best use of budget. Single No.1, with either a GK coach (like Bell was behind Jameson) / or young lad like Cameron Hall around the squad for emergencies. Use the short term loan market to cover injuries to your no.1.
I’d go one step further and just operate with a loanee from Boro for 6 months - spent the money saved on a striker. Wouldn’t mind seeing Hemming here next season. Plenty of good young keepers about in the north east that need first team football

JE93
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by JE93 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:13 pm

divas wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 pm
JE93 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 pm
Like both keepers and credit to Elliott for turning it around after his injury. The No.1 Jersey is rightfully his atm.

But my personal feeling will always be the same, two no.1 goalkeepers is a luxury we cant afford and isn't the best use of budget. Single No.1, with either a GK coach (like Bell was behind Jameson) / or young lad like Cameron Hall around the squad for emergencies. Use the short term loan market to cover injuries to your no.1.
I’d go one step further and just operate with a loanee from Boro for 6 months - spent the money saved on a striker. Wouldn’t mind seeing Hemming here next season. Plenty of good young keepers about in the north east that need first team football
fair comment Divas, James and Hemming have both done well for Gateshead and Blyth respectively while they've been on loan from Boro.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:47 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:13 pm
divas wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 pm
JE93 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 pm
Like both keepers and credit to Elliott for turning it around after his injury. The No.1 Jersey is rightfully his atm.

But my personal feeling will always be the same, two no.1 goalkeepers is a luxury we cant afford and isn't the best use of budget. Single No.1, with either a GK coach (like Bell was behind Jameson) / or young lad like Cameron Hall around the squad for emergencies. Use the short term loan market to cover injuries to your no.1.
I’d go one step further and just operate with a loanee from Boro for 6 months - spent the money saved on a striker. Wouldn’t mind seeing Hemming here next season. Plenty of good young keepers about in the north east that need first team football
fair comment Divas, James and Hemming have both done well for Gateshead and Blyth respectively while they've been on loan from Boro.
The thing is if we are looking to develop team spirit I don't think having too many loan signings is good for it. We have seen with O'Neill that players can be called back and leave us in the swanny. Loans are great for emergencies and injuries, and it you find a gem then that's a bonus but the likelihood is its only a matter of time before the player goes.
The thing I have picked up as well from Alun's interviews is that he has asked DJ to loosen the purse strings and it has paid off with the cup runs, so hopefully the additional squad is covered by these additional funds from the cup runs.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12987
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by divas » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:01 pm

We’ve had some excellent loan keepers over time and I really think it’s one position you can get really a much better player on loan

H1987
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 pm

I mean, Pears worked out for us, and I think Hemming too, for the time he was here.

Right now, I’m absolutely convinced that AA had some question marks over Elliott after a shaky start to the year, which is why we wanted Connell so much. Ironically, ever since Connell’s stay was extended, Elliott has stepped up and honestly looked the better of the two. I think for now, he has to be starter unless he does something wrong. Connell has dropped a few clangers when he has played lately, and it’s only fair to reward good play. He’s also young for a keeper and could develop further. Connell is about as good as he is going to get.

User avatar
Breedon
Posts: 1835
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by Breedon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:48 pm

I think the competition has really helped Elliott. You definitely need competition for places to get the best out of your players. Sounded like he was playing through injury at the start of the season but all of a sudden the obvious concerns about him being a bit on the small side for a keeper have subsided. He's never going to come wading out and plucking corners out of the air but if he can cope with last nights horrific levels of long balls and crosses into 6'4 giants, he should be fine!

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:13 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm
Elliott has been absolutely outstanding lately. If he keeps this up, he could be a long term solution.
Only if we're happy with 13th/14th place then, eh DarloFan97? :D

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11768
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:56 pm


JE93 wrote:Use the short term loan market to cover injuries to your no.1.
That's what we did.

Connell was a short term loan to cover Elliott's injury, but he did well and there was a clamour to make it long term.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JE93
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by JE93 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:56 pm
JE93 wrote:Use the short term loan market to cover injuries to your no.1.
That's what we did.

Connell was a short term loan to cover Elliott's injury, but he did well and there was a clamour to make it long term.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I agree we did. But, like you said we extended the loan, now we have a full season paying for 2 number 1 keepers, which in my opinion isn't the best use of our budget.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 802
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 pm

At this time in the season it would be madness not to keep both keepers, absolutely nailed on one would be injured if we tried send one out on loan or whatever, having to get emergency keepers/loans.
We have two keepers either of which we are happy to have between the sticks, AA can make that a decision in April.

User avatar
coles
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by coles » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:12 am

JE93 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:56 pm
JE93 wrote:Use the short term loan market to cover injuries to your no.1.
That's what we did.

Connell was a short term loan to cover Elliott's injury, but he did well and there was a clamour to make it long term.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I agree we did. But, like you said we extended the loan, now we have a full season paying for 2 number 1 keepers, which in my opinion isn't the best use of our budget.
Our squad is starting to get rather large I worry about the budget. That said we should be sitting pretty comfortable from a financial perspective, we raised £120k when £80k was the target for the budget, we’ve had something like £100k from the cup runs and tv cash so I would expect we can comfortably cover Connells wages. I agree with AA pushing a few out on loan who won’t be on the bench makes sense. On top of that we should be making more cash on the commercial side this season as hospitality is always pretty full more boards than ever round the ground so all in all we should be set up for a strong second half of the season. Bringing Martin in feels like we are going to have a push at those play offs should be an exciting last few months of the season.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11768
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Elliot and Connel

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 am

Interestingly though the Martin deal was all arranged before this run of form that's taken us to touching distance of the play-offs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Post Reply