Craig Morley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1872
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:38 pm

loan_star wrote:For several seasons we were saying we needed to employ somebody to exploit the commercial opportunities. We had people in on a commission basis and they lasted 5 minutes. Then we had other people at the club doing it on a voluntary basis but people complained when it became apparent they were getting a percentage of all deals done. Then we have (or did have) a commercial manager who was visibly making a difference and now I guess we are going back to volunteers doing it for a commission? Will they have the time to put in the hours that Craig did? Will sponsors that Craig brought in now have second thoughts, after all some of them won't really give a toss about DFC but were persuaded to sponsor because they like Craig? Could be a can of worms this, I hope they know what they are doing.
Got to agree Loan Star but let’s give the club the benefit of the doubt and see the reasons in the official statement.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
coles
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by coles » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 pm

loan_star wrote:For several seasons we were saying we needed to employ somebody to exploit the commercial opportunities. We had people in on a commission basis and they lasted 5 minutes. Then we had other people at the club doing it on a voluntary basis but people complained when it became apparent they were getting a percentage of all deals done. Then we have (or did have) a commercial manager who was visibly making a difference and now I guess we are going back to volunteers doing it for a commission? Will they have the time to put in the hours that Craig did? Will sponsors that Craig brought in now have second thoughts, after all some of them won't really give a toss about DFC but were persuaded to sponsor because they like Craig? Could be a can of worms this, I hope they know what they are doing.
Bang on Robbo what’s worrying me is that I’ve spoken with 2 sponsors today who have taken sponsorship out with the club on the strength of the work Craig put in and they have pulled out of the club and one of them spent quite a few thousand with the club. It’s a worrying time if others follow suit.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11759
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Seems a weird business decision to pull your sponsorship because ban individual has left, regardless of how well you got on with that person.

If the package you're getting is not affected, then nothing has changed. If it was good for your business before, it still is now.

If you were a potential sponsor you might change your mind due to the 'sell' not being as good from someone else, but to pull out when the salesman has left seems totally pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
coles
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by coles » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Spyman wrote:Seems a weird business decision to pull your sponsorship because ban individual has left, regardless of how well you got on with that person.

If the package you're getting is not affected, then nothing has changed. If it was good for your business before, it still is now.

If you were a potential sponsor you might change your mind due to the 'sell' not being as good from someone else, but to pull out when the salesman has left seems totally pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Not if you were only doing the sponsorship because of your friendship with the CM

bga
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by bga » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:16 pm

coles wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Spyman wrote:Seems a weird business decision to pull your sponsorship because ban individual has left, regardless of how well you got on with that person.

If the package you're getting is not affected, then nothing has changed. If it was good for your business before, it still is now.

If you were a potential sponsor you might change your mind due to the 'sell' not being as good from someone else, but to pull out when the salesman has left seems totally pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Not if you were only doing the sponsorship because of your friendship with the CM
Still don't understand your logic really. Spyman is spot on. Did you try and pursuade them to "stay" given you claim to have inside knowledge from them?

User avatar
coles
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by coles » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm

bga wrote:
coles wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Spyman wrote:Seems a weird business decision to pull your sponsorship because ban individual has left, regardless of how well you got on with that person.

If the package you're getting is not affected, then nothing has changed. If it was good for your business before, it still is now.

If you were a potential sponsor you might change your mind due to the 'sell' not being as good from someone else, but to pull out when the salesman has left seems totally pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Not if you were only doing the sponsorship because of your friendship with the CM
Still don't understand your logic really. Spyman is spot on. Did you try and pursuade them to "stay" given you claim to have inside knowledge from them?
Yep I tried one is considering staying but one was only taking the sponsorship cos of the CM friendship can’t blame them for that. I’m sure the club have this under control. We have no reason to think otherwise.

comeondarlo
Posts: 2622
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: Craig Morely

Post by comeondarlo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 pm

coles wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm
bga wrote:
coles wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Spyman wrote:Seems a weird business decision to pull your sponsorship because ban individual has left, regardless of how well you got on with that person.

If the package you're getting is not affected, then nothing has changed. If it was good for your business before, it still is now.

If you were a potential sponsor you might change your mind due to the 'sell' not being as good from someone else, but to pull out when the salesman has left seems totally pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Not if you were only doing the sponsorship because of your friendship with the CM
Still don't understand your logic really. Spyman is spot on. Did you try and pursuade them to "stay" given you claim to have inside knowledge from them?
Yep I tried one is considering staying but one was only taking the sponsorship cos of the CM friendship can’t blame them for that. I’m sure the club have this under control. We have no reason to think otherwise.
I’m with Spyman too, very odd! Almost pathetic tbh

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11759
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm

coles wrote:
Spyman wrote:Seems a weird business decision to pull your sponsorship because ban individual has left, regardless of how well you got on with that person.

If the package you're getting is not affected, then nothing has changed. If it was good for your business before, it still is now.

If you were a potential sponsor you might change your mind due to the 'sell' not being as good from someone else, but to pull out when the salesman has left seems totally pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Not if you were only doing the sponsorship because of your friendship with the CM
A very poor business decision then.

Why not just go to the pub with him if he's a mate?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789
Posts: 8275
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Craig Morely

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:25 pm

I'm with Spyman on this one - if our commercial offering is dependent on our commercial manager being mates with people to get takers then our commercial manager should spend time refining our commercial offering.

User avatar
coles
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by coles » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 am

lo36789 wrote:I'm with Spyman on this one - if our commercial offering is dependent on our commercial manager being mates with people to get takers then our commercial manager should spend time refining our commercial offering.
From the outside looking in I thought that’s what had been happening. In the meantime whilst that offering was being tweaked and improved a commercial manager would be using their network to pull sales in don’t see what’s wrong with that seems perfectly logical that people would be using their network to bring sale in.

lo36789
Posts: 8275
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Craig Morely

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:18 am

I agree tbh, that was until you've said that sponsorships received have been effectively entirely down to friendship and are pulled the moment someone is no longer the commercial manager? Using your network is using professional relationships for a broader business purpose, and to get in front of the right people etc. etc. not to be the entire basis of the relationship.

User avatar
coles
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by coles » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:27 am

lo36789 wrote:I agree tbh, that was until you've said that sponsorships received have been effectively entirely down to friendship and are pulled the moment someone is no longer the commercial manager? Using your network is using professional relationships for a broader business purpose, and to get in front of the right people etc. etc. not to be the entire basis of the relationship.
Ok so poor choice of words let’s just say used their network to bring business in the points the same.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12414
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 am

I don't claim to know too much about the commercial side of the club, like many other supporters. But from the outside, it looked like Morley was doing a good job & so I was surprised to hear that Morley was leaving. Hopefully the club statements, will resolve what happened, when they issue a statement hopefully today.

jjljks
Posts: 1682
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by jjljks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 am

It might be that Prince Harry & Duchess Megan could step up and do the job, especially as Jason DeVos is Canadian & could pull a few strings to get him in. :lol:

e4sby
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:16 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by e4sby » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 am

My opinion on this is solely going by the games at BM that were sponsored.

Correct me if I’m wrong but only 6 out of 13 games have been sponsored and the match ball only 5 times this season.

To me that’s pretty piss poor from a Commercial Director. Yes the ground looks better with the additional pitch side boards but match days are our bread and butter and I feel most if not all games should’ve been sponsored.

I could cut him a bit of slack if this was last season but with AA in charge and the feel good factor and product on the pitch vastly improved there is simply no excuses.

If I was CM I would expect my performance to be questioned by the clubs hierarchy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

e4sby
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:16 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by e4sby » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 am

And...

Who is to say all the current advertising boards have been renewed but left up to make it look like we’ve sold more that we have?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:22 am

e4sby wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 am
And...

Who is to say all the current advertising boards have been renewed but left up to make it look like we’ve sold more that we have?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't think that would happen - all the firms in this imaginary situation would just think what's the point in ever renewing.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

MB86DFC
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 am

I think it would be best for the club to end the speculation over why a man has lost his job on this public message board. It's not great for our image so lets wait for the facts and then discuss. Also, conjecturing that advertising boards are not sold and simply staying up will again create doubt among potential commercial sponsors, this does not help the club.

e4sby
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:16 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by e4sby » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:22 am
e4sby wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 am
And...

Who is to say all the current advertising boards have been renewed but left up to make it look like we’ve sold more that we have?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't think that would happen - all the firms in this imaginary situation would just think what's the point in ever renewing.
It's happened before and I have no doubt that it will be happening now...

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6160
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 pm

e4sby wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 am
It's happened before and I have no doubt that it will be happening now...
I don't think this has happened this time. There may be some that are close to expiring but lately they have replaced some boards with new sponsors. There have been a few scrapped from the tin shed and the main stand for starters.
Also, I was in hospitality for the Walsall game and there was a match sponsor, two associate match sponsors and a match ball sponsor. Easier to sell that one I guess than Leamington at home for arguments sake. Match sponsorship has been poor for a number of years now.

H1987
Posts: 1416
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Agree with the above, I don't think we should speculate on such things. He may have chosen to leave, he may have been let go. Whatever, it's his job and we should respect his privacy I think.

Regarding sponsors, I still find it odd we haven't tried to sell naming rights to the seating stand.

Old Git
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:31 pm
Agree with the above, I don't think we should speculate on such things. He may have chosen to leave, he may have been let go. Whatever, it's his job and we should respect his privacy I think.

Regarding sponsors, I still find it odd we haven't tried to sell naming rights to the seating stand.
Agreed essentially a private matter between Craig and the board.How would anyone else like their employment situation being the subject of such speculation ? Expect the club will make a statement in the near future but may be wary of the need for some privacy to be given to him as an ex employee especially if there is any dispute.

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Craig Morley

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 pm

e4sby wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 am
My opinion on this is solely going by the games at BM that were sponsored.

Correct me if I’m wrong but only 6 out of 13 games have been sponsored and the match ball only 5 times this season.

To me that’s pretty piss poor from a Commercial Director. Yes the ground looks better with the additional pitch side boards but match days are our bread and butter and I feel most if not all games should’ve been sponsored.

I could cut him a bit of slack if this was last season but with AA in charge and the feel good factor and product on the pitch vastly improved there is simply no excuses.

If I was CM I would expect my performance to be questioned by the clubs hierarchy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's sad to hear that there have only been 5 match ball sponsors. I was one of a group who sponsored the ball at the Hereford game, and it was a great day, well worth the money. It was well organised, probably thanks to Craig. Good meal, drinks, free programme, good view of the game from the balcony etc. We had to choose the man of the match (Will H of course), met the players and had a good chat with Kev Smith. And of course got a signed football. I recommend doing it and it helps the club financially.

quakerste
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by quakerste » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:55 pm

With regards to the sponsorship side has it not been more about what Blackwell has to offer than Craig or the club. Paying £35 a head for not great food then watching a game stood on the balcony, really. Not exactly enticing is it.

No wonder we're looking at the Arena.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11759
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morely

Post by Spyman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 pm

coles wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I'm with Spyman on this one - if our commercial offering is dependent on our commercial manager being mates with people to get takers then our commercial manager should spend time refining our commercial offering.
From the outside looking in I thought that’s what had been happening. In the meantime whilst that offering was being tweaked and improved a commercial manager would be using their network to pull sales in don’t see what’s wrong with that seems perfectly logical that people would be using their network to bring sale in.
I get that, of course you would use your network to get deals done. But regardless of my relationship with the sales person, I'd only buy if it was of benefit to me. They might get more of an audience from me of they were a friend/trusted contact but I'd still need to see a benefit.

Once they've sold to me, and I see said benefit, I'd keep buying regardless of whether they were there or not. If there was no benefit, I'd stop buying whether or not they were still there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: Craig Morley

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm

quakerste wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:55 pm
With regards to the sponsorship side has it not been more about what Blackwell has to offer than Craig or the club. Paying £35 a head for not great food then watching a game stood on the balcony, really. Not exactly enticing is it.

No wonder we're looking at the Arena.
There was nothing wrong with the food that we were served. I don't know where this opinion has come from. Jeez do you expect Gordon Ramsey?

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6160
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:07 pm

I've been in hospitality a few times this season and the food has been spot on each time. Even the night games when its a reduced price its still been decent.

quakerste
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by quakerste » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Maybe I have come across over critical and I know it's not ideal but how do you entice corporate companies to part with the money with what's on offer.

quakersfan
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by quakersfan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:22 pm

I’ve been in hospitality a number of times this season and the food and service has vastly improved. TBH I wasn’t that Keen on Craig at first as I’d heard a few comments about him “book & cover” but I’ve always found him very helpful and he’s certainly passionate about DFC which is what you want in a commercial manager. I have a feeling that people who aren’t keen on him have used this opportunity to cause a bit of mischief. In respect to revenue after the main shirt sponsorship i’m not sure what other big ticket items you can really sponsor as we don’t own the ground. I’m sure official statement will enlighten us all.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Craig Morley

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:22 pm
I’ve been in hospitality a number of times this season and the food and service has vastly improved. TBH I wasn’t that Keen on Craig at first as I’d heard a few comments about him “book & cover” but I’ve always found him very helpful and he’s certainly passionate about DFC which is what you want in a commercial manager. I have a feeling that people who aren’t keen on him have used this opportunity to cause a bit of mischief. In respect to revenue after the main shirt sponsorship i’m not sure what other big ticket items you can really sponsor as we don’t own the ground. I’m sure official statement will enlighten us all.
can't see any statement coming tonight
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Post Reply