Price Of Football (Twitter)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Price Of Football (Twitter)

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 pm

To reply to H1987, a lot of people go past Blackwell every single day as this is virtually the only way into Darlington from the south. It is a very busy road, so to say that "absolutely no one" would take notice is over cooking things, and I'm not on about "minds being changed" or "light bulb moments" that's never been my point. Basically I still feel it would be a good thing to do, for the reasons I've stated above. This board is all about opinions so there you go.

I can handle the fact others think that the sign isn't that important. I've never made out that it would make a lot of difference - it's just that I feel that it would make some difference, so why not do it? Surely in our position a little bit is better than nothing.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:01 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:23 am
divas wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:28 pm
Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:14 pm
Latest installment is from Hereford

https://mobile.twitter.com/KieranMaguir ... 4817193984

£8k pa to rent Edgar Street. We really are being ripped off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t believe the fixed rent we pay is bad at all. That is very cheap for Hereford but I expect it’s a peppercorn rent as the council own ground rather than them having to rent from a private landlord.

You’d struggle to rent a decent house for a year for £8K!
That's outrageously cheap. I've paid more than that to rent rooms in shared houses in London.

I should've rented Edgar Street and commuted.
It's all part of having a benevolent council who not only realize the benefit of having a football club in the heart of the city, but actually want the club there.
Edgar Street could have been sold off for millions when the other recent development of the adjacent old cattle market took place. But no they were prepared to grant a lease to Hereford FC at a peppercorn rent, and this in an area of pretty much solid rugby territory.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:To reply to H1987, a lot of people go past Blackwell every single day as this is virtually the only way into Darlington from the south. It is a very busy road, so to say that "absolutely no one" would take notice is over cooking things, and I'm not on about "minds being changed" or "light bulb moments" that's never been my point. Basically I still feel it would be a good thing to do, for the reasons I've stated above. This board is all about opinions so there you go.

I can handle the fact others think that the sign isn't that important. I've never made out that it would make a lot of difference - it's just that I feel that it would make some difference, so why not do it? Surely in our position a little bit is better than nothing.
But we can’t do it anyway, so I’m not sure why you’re making a big thing of it, particularly when it makes so little difference. As I said, the board have to be pragmatic and pick their battles.

AlQuaker - you won’t find me disagreeing with that point at all. It is daft the Rugby Club have such a chip on their shoulder, but I’m struggling to see what we can do about that (other than leave for the Arena, but we all know that’s massively problematic too).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 pm
AlQuaker - you won’t find me disagreeing with that point at all. It is daft the Rugby Club have such a chip on their shoulder, but I’m struggling to see what we can do about that (other than leave for the Arena, but we all know that’s massively problematic too).
It's just frustrating. What could be a mutually beneficial partnership has instead turned out to be this painful relationship which is limiting our growth and may end up with the mutually damaging prospect of us leaving, removing their financial lifeline and us having wasted 100s of thousands on doing the place up. It's pathetic

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - but if only we'd taken a mortgage out on a bit of spare land and built up our own stadium gradually like the one at Leamington or even more impressive the tameside stadium at Curzon Ashton both with their own social clubs and on site facilities.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:To reply to H1987, a lot of people go past Blackwell every single day as this is virtually the only way into Darlington from the south. It is a very busy road, so to say that "absolutely no one" would take notice is over cooking things, and I'm not on about "minds being changed" or "light bulb moments" that's never been my point. Basically I still feel it would be a good thing to do, for the reasons I've stated above. This board is all about opinions so there you go.

But we can’t do it anyway, so I’m not sure why you’re making a big thing of it, particularly when it makes so little difference. As I said, the board have to be pragmatic and pick their battles.

Don't get me started on the clock ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Mister e wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:37 pm
Hindsight is a wonderful thing - but if only we'd taken a mortgage out on a bit of spare land and built up our own stadium gradually like the one at Leamington or even more impressive the tameside stadium at Curzon Ashton both with their own social clubs and on site facilities.
Called so because tameside council funded it right?

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:55 pm

Mister e wrote:
That’s not hindsight. It’s impossibility.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Our own stadium, even the most modest suitable for this level, let alone the one above would / would've cost millions. It's, as divas says, impossible, unless a fan drops the euro millions and really wants to buy one for us. No amount of fan funding would cover it.

A sign on non-matchdays would not only be eclipsed by social media used correctly, it'd also be eclipsed by something in the town centre. Why does that 'lightbulb moment' have to be on a roadside where you can't see the ground from anyway? If you absolutely needed to go it, you could get a sign roadside on the bypass, which even more people would see (and at least see a bit of the ground in winter also), and it would have the added bonus of not causing a pointless squabble with the Rugby club.

I don't think the Rugby club have covered themselves in glory sometimes since our move, but a venn diagram of those wanting the club to return to the rotten arena and those absolutely determined to blow every minor issue with Blackwell out of proportion would be a perfect circle.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:45 pm

divas wrote:
Mister e wrote:
That’s not hindsight. It’s impossibility.
And played where in the meantime?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Chimp chokers feature in tomorrow’s podcast. Should be interesting.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:44 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm
Here’s another price of football :

Did you know that if Darlington were drawn away to a PL club in the FA cup, we would have to pay half of the VAR costs? Currently £9500 + VAT !!

Not quite correct

The costs of the VAR are part of the costs taken from the gate receipts before the net gate receipts are divided between the two clubs.

The difference is subtle

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:16 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:44 pm
Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm
Here’s another price of football :

Did you know that if Darlington were drawn away to a PL club in the FA cup, we would have to pay half of the VAR costs? Currently £9500 + VAT !!

Not quite correct

The costs of the VAR are part of the costs taken from the gate receipts before the net gate receipts are divided between the two clubs.

The difference is subtle
Spen, whilst you are here, and this is a ‘Price of Football’ thread. What do you make of the latest GAS accounts. Still not bank-rolled by Uncle Brad?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu May 07, 2020 6:53 am

He's always here when he should be setting up the Spennymoor forum. If it's £9,500 for VAR what difference does it make whether it comes out before or after? That's just being pedantic.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:13 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:53 am
He's always here when he should be setting up the Spennymoor forum. If it's £9,500 for VAR what difference does it make whether it comes out before or after? That's just being pedantic.
It makes a huge difference. The non league club have no liability at all. If the gate receipts did not cover the costs, the non league club do not have to make up the shortfall. You wouldn't say non league club are liable for half the wages of the stewards, or half the policing costs etc.

Its also why I said it was a subtle difference
Last edited by spen666 on Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:53 am

Huge difference or minor difference?

Make your mind up Spenn

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri May 08, 2020 8:19 am

I still think it's pedantic. The likelihood of a non league club getting to the third round AND playing a premier league team is very low. Only Sheffield United v AFC Fylde this year. Around £150.000 in gate receipts. There seems to be little chance receipts wouldn't ever cover VAR costs so it's not a "huge difference" . Your time would e far better spent setting up the Spennymoor forum given your vast knowledge and expertise in absolutely anything.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:21 pm

We’re featured on the podcast tomorrow Image

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 7182842880

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:30 pm

First link was bad ..

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 8612065295

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 am

We feature on the podcast again today. No doubt it’s the story of our fans amazing fund raising recently for the two FA Cup matches

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:55 pm

Anybody like to guess what Greg Clark or Brian Barwick will get as a pay-off?