Hereford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hereford

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:19 pm

Lets not forget Graeme Armstrong. I know he played at Evostik level but was a good goal scorer and a really hard worker for the team.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:36 am

But back to the topic - did the team go down yesterday and stay over?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:07 am

Looks like Alty v King's Lynn is the only game off in our league today. Hope the lads did go last night & get a decent kip. At least Styche will not be in their side!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:26 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:36 am
But back to the topic - did the team go down yesterday and stay over?
Yes they did. Late decision to do so as it had been pulled originally.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:32 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:48 pm
Personally I prefer team players. After Styche got his call up for Gibraltar (whilst playing for us) it all went downhill.

Loss of form - slagged off from the Tinshed, then numerous transfers downwards. I think he sees himself as top dog but to be top dog you need to be Gabbiadini standard - which not many are.
Could make a list as long as my arm of forwards we have had that have been slagged off despite them being regular scorers.
We have minority of fans who just love to get on the back of a player that they think isn't producing the goods.
Even great players like Currie and Gabbiadini had people on their backs at various times in their Darlo careers.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:18 pm

Games at Bradford PA and Curzon off as well. How long before polar bear or some other Spennymoor troll comes on to remind us their game is on?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:23 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:18 pm
Games at Bradford PA and Curzon off as well. How long before polar bear or some other Spennymoor troll comes on to remind us their game is on?

Don't mention his name - he's like beetlejuice, turns up when his name is spoken three times to cause chaos/talk crap about an excessively wealthy village football team

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Jarrett, Oh Jarrett Rivers run down the wing for me!

Jarrett, Oh Jarrett Rivers go and score a goal for me!

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm

sounds like we are not at our best but settle for 1 nil up well done Rivers

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Finished 2.2
Omar with a late equalizer.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:47 pm

A point away at Hereford is a decent result. However, if you are being hypercritical it is probably 2 points dropped in the circumstances of chasing a playoff place. With results of teams around us you have to try and cash in on wins, draws get you nowhere when you are hunting down the top 7. I think we have dropped too many points to realistically challenge for the playoffs but this season has been much improved and hopefully we can have a proper assault next season.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Not the worst game today, but not the best either. Really thought we'd thrown it away late on but then put together a good move to equalise. Their first was a fantastic goal from a a player who was in league one very recently, albeit coming back from a long term injury.

We were a bit careless at times, and rickety in defence when they got on top.

They'll be mad about the equaliser too. Holness touched the ball in behind and just for a moment donawa looked like he would go for it, making him offside. Then holiness took it back over to finish.

Ref got things about right overall though, I thought.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:05 pm

A good point today, especially when you equalise late on. But our season is in danger of petering out, if things don't change quickly.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:12 pm

A decent point today thumbs up to the fans who travelled as well. Personally I’m happy to finish mid table with a solid base to move on again next season. Also hopefully at the AGM next week we may get to hear on where our future location may lie.

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:22 pm

quakersfan wrote:A decent point today thumbs up to the fans who travelled as well. Personally I’m happy to finish mid table with a solid base to move on again next season. Also hopefully at the AGM next week we may get to hear on where our future location may lie.
Agreed. Things have done a bit quiet off the field and it would be good to get an update with regards to how as a club we plan to progress forwards. Things need to change at some point otherwise we’ll be stuck at this level for quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:28 pm

A good point that halts the slide in form. Honestly, I would’ve taken a point before kick off, and a late equaliser is always nice.

Haven’t seen any highlights yet, obviously, but nice to see Omar on the scoresheet. He’s been underused lately imo.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:29 pm

I reckon we’ll go on a good run just in time to sneak in the playoffs then carry on that good form and win the playoff final at Bootham Crescent. Can’t a lad dream?!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:34 pm

The Hereford fans are saying that they played with much more purpose and spirit than they have for much of this season.... "Best game of the season."

So defo sounds like a good point gained on the road for us.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:58 pm
They'll be mad about the equaliser too. Holness touched the ball in behind and just for a moment donawa looked like he would go for it, making him offside. Then holiness took it back over to finish.

He moves in mysterious ways :lol:

bga

Post by bga » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:52 am

H1987 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:28 pm
A good point that halts the slide in form. Honestly, I would’ve taken a point before kick off, and a late equaliser is always nice.

Haven’t seen any highlights yet, obviously, but nice to see Omar on the scoresheet. He’s been underused lately imo.
Should we not have a bit more ambition than to be satisfied with a point against a team 12 points worse off than us? Same applies to the recent point at Kiddy. Or do fans really believe the we are not as good as the table suggests we are?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:37 am

bga wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:52 am
H1987 wrote:

Should we not have a bit more ambition than to be satisfied with a point against a team 12 points worse off than us? Same applies to the recent point at Kiddy. Or do fans really believe the we are not as good as the table suggests we are?
On balance I’m happy, we’ve arrested a run of heavy losses with two draws at clubs where travel distance will make a difference. Kidderminster beat Kings Lynn before our game and to bounce back from the disappointment of going 2-1 down yesterday shows spirit.

It’s not going to be easy to get anything against Brackley, but hopefully the squad has desire to overturn the thrashing we had from them earlier in the season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:38 am

I think we can beat Brackley and get us on the tails of the playoff pack, just depends which Darlo turns up.They have a big strong defence which may suit us,but would like to see Omar given a start which he deserves tbh.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:42 am

Agree Holness should be in our starting line-up. There wasn't too much wrong with our midfield trio of Hatfield, Wheatley and Holness earlier in the season, was there?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:56 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:42 am
Agree Holness should be in our starting line-up. There wasn't too much wrong with our midfield trio of Hatfield, Wheatley and Holness earlier in the season, was there?
Except we had O'Neill up front. We haven't got anyone to fill that role now. Campbell needs a big lad up there to bring the best out of him.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:56 am
darlo2001uk wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:42 am
Except we had O'Neill up front. We haven't got anyone to fill that role now. Campbell needs a big lad up there to bring the best out of him.
Isn't this partly why Reid and Martin were brought in? Reid has done ok, but the Martin gamble hasn't really paid off yet has it? So goals wise we are still reliant upon Campbell as our main threat, which is fine unless he has an ineffective match where he is nullified by the opposition.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:59 pm

If you want to play a more defensive 3 in midfield Campbell as a number 9 is isolated as we’ve seen. To get someone close to him be it O’Neill or Martin as a strike partner, or Reid as a number 10, you lose some of that solidity in the middle. Neither Reid nor Martin have offered anything close to O’Neill so we’ve really been weakening the side by having to play one or the other to support Campbell. In theory Reid was the correct signing - tall advanced midfielder who could support Campbell and drop back in when needed but despite a good start he’s struggled.

I really like Campbell but you can see the problem in that to play him as a number 9 you have to weaken the midfield. A number 9 who didn’t need to play off a big man would solve the issue and allow a more solid, compact midfield - this is especially useful away from home. At home I think you can probably get away with it a bit more. No coincidence we look much better at home with the current setup.

Would love to keep Campbell next season but for me he’d need to play wide - you can see why that’s happened to him over his career as not many teams play with the traditional big man and little man in a 4-4-2 these days, preferring to stiffen up the midfield with an extra man meaning only one forward.

Someone like Adam Boyes would fit the role perfectly and give us much more balance across the team. If we are to “kick on” next season it’s the main thing that needs to be addressed.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:00 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:52 am
H1987 wrote:

If we are all happy to settle for this being a 'rebuild' season which we are to be reminded was the aim at the start of August then a point each at Kidderminster and Hereford would be deemed fine. If we have aspirations of a playoff spot or more then these are the games you need to scrap and scrape wins, so 4pts dropped in this regard. Ultimately, this season will be deemed probably more than satisfactory but if we miss the playoffs by anything between 10pts or less then I think there is an element of slight disappointment and what could have been.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:13 pm

We don't seem to have seen the best of Gary Martin as yet and he seems to have been reduced to being a substitute which, along with the observation on Thommo earlier, cannot give him the best chance to find his form. I wonder if starting him with Campbell might be something worth giving a try.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:17 pm

en passant wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:13 pm
We don't seem to have seen the best of Gary Martin as yet and he seems to have been reduced to being a substitute which, along with the observation on Thommo earlier, cannot give him the best chance to find his form. I wonder if starting him with Campbell might be something worth giving a try.
He started in place of Campbell against Harrogate and didn’t look at the races. He played a good chunk of the game alongside him away to Guiseley and struggled too. It’s a tough one as to get up to speed you need to play games but you’re weakening the side when doing so. It’s an experiment that could be tried but would need to be at home against poorer opposition otherwise I could see us getting overrun in the middle as was happening earlier in the season with O’Neill in the team at times.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 pm

I think away from home we should make ourselves a bit more solid with a 4-3-3 something like the below. Reid playing with his back to goal to hold the ball up top and to bring in the rest of the team. Campbell uses the ball well. Donawa still offers pace in behind. But most importantly 3 strong cm's to put tackles in and give us some good cover in the middle of the field.

----------------------- Elliott -------------------
Hedley --- Liang --- Storey --- Liddle
--- Hatfield -- Wheatley -- Holness --
Donawa --------- Reid ------- Campbell

Snatching a late point is never really a bad thing but in truth if we did have playoff ambitions, away at Hereford is a game you'd have to target as a win. But after all it's a transition season, top half finish and our cup performances would tick this as a decent season, set us up for next season. 2-3 in and 2-3 out and we could have a decent chance at the playoffs next season.