Coronavirus and DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

spen666
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm

TFDM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Baffling decision tbh.

Won't take long before some clubs who don't fancy a game because they've got a few knocks or aren't in form claim they've got players or staff who are ill to get the game hooked. Integrity of the competition very much a big issue in all of this.

But classic National League though, going against the current of everyone else.
NPL are only step 3 and 4 league still playing.

Isthmian League off, Southern Premier Off & Southern Central all off


As you say baffling given most are off


Still should boost gates for clubs still playing . Get the word out that there are games on and get the fans of Premiership and EFL clubs to come to National League games

TFDM
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by TFDM » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:14 pm

And there is one of the other reasons.... you may well see a spike in attendances tomorrow as Premiership and EFL fans go and watch a game. Which kind of undoes a lot of the reasons for suspending the game further up.

Still wouldn't surprise me if after we've played this weekend they end up suspending things.

JasonDeVos
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:17 pm

TFDM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Baffling decision tbh.

Won't take long before some clubs who don't fancy a game because they've got a few knocks or aren't in form claim they've got players or staff who are ill to get the game hooked. Integrity of the competition very much a big issue in all of this.

But classic National League though, going against the current of everyone else.
Puts so much onto a fan run club especially ....

Do we sell 50 50 still? A lot of our volunteers are not getting any younger?

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2966
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:35 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
TFDM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Baffling decision tbh.

Won't take long before some clubs who don't fancy a game because they've got a few knocks or aren't in form claim they've got players or staff who are ill to get the game hooked. Integrity of the competition very much a big issue in all of this.

But classic National League though, going against the current of everyone else.
Puts so much onto a fan run club especially ....

Do we sell 50 50 still? A lot of our volunteers are not getting any younger?
Seriously do will still sell 50/50, I can't believe you have asked this question

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Old Git
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Old Git » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 pm

Doubt very much many fans of FL clubs will boost our gate tomorrow. Expect it to be our last home game for a long time. We as fan/owners may need to start digging deep to keep things going.
Also think the players may be asked to accept a reduced or deferred wages if games are cancelled/postponed to help cash flow.

darlo reborn
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:18 pm

noticed all southern league games below national have all been called off

spen666
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 pm
Doubt very much many fans of FL clubs will boost our gate tomorrow. ....
Nowt for them to do. No live games on in pubs tomorrow.

Get the word out

JasonDeVos
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:35 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
TFDM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Baffling decision tbh.

Won't take long before some clubs who don't fancy a game because they've got a few knocks or aren't in form claim they've got players or staff who are ill to get the game hooked. Integrity of the competition very much a big issue in all of this.

But classic National League though, going against the current of everyone else.
Puts so much onto a fan run club especially ....

Do we sell 50 50 still? A lot of our volunteers are not getting any younger?
Seriously do will still sell 50/50, I can't believe you have asked this question

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nah no you right- no issues to consider.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:To a club like ours I suppose we would have to "mothball" it. Staff would not be paid for a while, how could they be.
Presumably because they are under contract and need their wages to pay bills. But I’m sure the players are delighted you’re happy to cancel their salaries for a few weeks from behind your keyboard.

For everyone saying “It’s about health not money” try telling that to people who are about lose income for a number of weeks.

Lack of money means they have to cut back on other things to survive. Bills go unpaid. Think about the toll that takes on mental health too.

Some people are trying to simplify an incredibly complex situation into a snappy soundbite to make themselves sound clever. There are a lot of considerations to take into account before any decision is made.
I never said any such thing and you bloody know it, so stop being so insulting, I will not be drawn into a petty squabble over a matter as serious as this.

I'm confident D.J. will take the correct decisions about this matter at the appropriate time.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

murtonquakerfan
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:16 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Murton, Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by murtonquakerfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Northern League is suspended now

https://twitter.com/theofficialnl/statu ... 56480?s=19

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


jjljks
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:43 pm

If PL & EFL fans drop in to see some football perhaps we should put up prices -they would think it cheap anyway! Basic economics and law of supply & demand😅

H1987
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Totally irresponsible. Regardless of lessened risk outside, 1500 people in a small space is a risk we shouldn't be taking. Just because it will not harm a lot of people doesn't mean we should recklessly spread it and pass it on to others who it might.

User avatar
TKOA
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Manchester

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by TKOA » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:14 pm

I’m shocked our league is on considering the Northern League has postponed their fixtures until April. I see Gateshead are self isolating, can’t see our match up there being on next week.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:28 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:To a club like ours I suppose we would have to "mothball" it. Staff would not be paid for a while, how could they be.
Presumably because they are under contract and need their wages to pay bills. But I’m sure the players are delighted you’re happy to cancel their salaries for a few weeks from behind your keyboard.

For everyone saying “It’s about health not money” try telling that to people who are about lose income for a number of weeks.

Lack of money means they have to cut back on other things to survive. Bills go unpaid. Think about the toll that takes on mental health too.

Some people are trying to simplify an incredibly complex situation into a snappy soundbite to make themselves sound clever. There are a lot of considerations to take into account before any decision is made.
I never said any such thing and you bloody know it, so stop being so insulting, I will not be drawn into a petty squabble over a matter as serious as this.

I'm confident D.J. will take the correct decisions about this matter at the appropriate time.
You literally said: “Our staff would not be paid for a while, how could they be?”

They’ll need to be paid as per the terms of their contract unless they accept some sort of agreement otherwise. But we can’t refuse to pay them (unless there are some sort of “Act of God”/extreme unforeseen circumstance clauses in the contract) without there being some sort of legal redress.

All I’m saying is they’ve bills to pay, families to feed and so on. There’s a human element which you ignored.

And it’s very easy for you to make a snap judgement without thinking behind a keyboard. But the situation is a lot more complex than a lot of people are making out.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:34 pm

H1987 wrote:Totally irresponsible. Regardless of lessened risk outside, 1500 people in a small space is a risk we shouldn't be taking. Just because it will not harm a lot of people doesn't mean we should recklessly spread it and pass it on to others who it might.
Totally irresponsible to follow the advice of the Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer, you mean?

It’s all well and good taking the moral high ground, but these are clubs which will financially collapse without income. Shut them down for six weeks and clubs will struggle to stay afloat. That’s an inevitable consequence at this level.

If the official advice is they can go ahead, then so be it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong by the way, more that I think calling it “totally irresponsible” is over the top, unless you’re lack a global pandemic strategy expert.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:34 pm
H1987 wrote:Totally irresponsible. Regardless of lessened risk outside, 1500 people in a small space is a risk we shouldn't be taking. Just because it will not harm a lot of people doesn't mean we should recklessly spread it and pass it on to others who it might.
Totally irresponsible to follow the advice of the Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer, you mean?

It’s all well and good taking the moral high ground, but these are clubs which will financially collapse without income. Shut them down for six weeks and clubs will struggle to stay afloat. That’s an inevitable consequence at this level.

If the official advice is they can go ahead, then so be it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong by the way, more that I think calling it “totally irresponsible” is over the top, unless you’re lack a global pandemic strategy expert.
Nope, just common sense, and being proactive.

Better to be cautious than be dead. It’s not a moral argument, it’s recognising the severity of the situation and acting appropriately.

So you’d carry on playing every division would you? That was the official line after all.

lo36789
Posts: 8427
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm

Tbf the view from government is that cancelling these things could do more harm than good.

If I've interpreted the comms it is possible that it won't flatten the curve as they hoped - it could cause a lull and then the peak they were keen to avoid a few weeks later.

This will mean more strain on NHS and more dead.

I know nothing more than what is reported and it is telling that the medical professionals and scientists are still reasonably calm about what is to come.

murtonquakerfan
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:16 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Murton, Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by murtonquakerfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:Tbf the view from government is that cancelling these things could do more harm than good.

If I've interpreted the comms it is possible that it won't flatten the curve as they hoped - it could cause a lull and then the peak they were keen to avoid a few weeks later.

This will mean more strain on NHS and more dead.

I know nothing more than what is reported and it is telling that the medical professionals and scientists are still reasonably calm about what is to come.
I don't really understand it, but is the government at the moment just trying to delay the spread hitting it's peak right now...

Im sure I saw something in one of the newspapers the other day someone saying the Peak would have come in 10-14 days, now it seems like people are saying it will peak in 10-14 weeks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2966
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 pm

murtonquakerfan wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Tbf the view from government is that cancelling these things could do more harm than good.

If I've interpreted the comms it is possible that it won't flatten the curve as they hoped - it could cause a lull and then the peak they were keen to avoid a few weeks later.

This will mean more strain on NHS and more dead.

I know nothing more than what is reported and it is telling that the medical professionals and scientists are still reasonably calm about what is to come.
I don't really understand it, but is the government at the moment just trying to delay the spread hitting it's peak right now...

Im sure I saw something in one of the newspapers the other day someone saying the Peak would have come in 10-14 days, now it seems like people are saying it will peak in 10-14 weeks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
May apparently they say

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Darlogramps
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 pm

H1987 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:34 pm
H1987 wrote:Totally irresponsible. Regardless of lessened risk outside, 1500 people in a small space is a risk we shouldn't be taking. Just because it will not harm a lot of people doesn't mean we should recklessly spread it and pass it on to others who it might.
Totally irresponsible to follow the advice of the Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer, you mean?

It’s all well and good taking the moral high ground, but these are clubs which will financially collapse without income. Shut them down for six weeks and clubs will struggle to stay afloat. That’s an inevitable consequence at this level.

If the official advice is they can go ahead, then so be it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong by the way, more that I think calling it “totally irresponsible” is over the top, unless you’re lack a global pandemic strategy expert.
Nope, just common sense, and being proactive.

Better to be cautious than be dead. It’s not a moral argument, it’s recognising the severity of the situation and acting appropriately.

So you’d carry on playing every division would you? That was the official line after all.
As I said earlier (and seemingly flew over your little head), I’m not endorsing either position. I’m just explaining the counter-argument, as set out by the leading scientific and medical minds in the country, and explaining why your “better cautious than dead” hysteria is reductionist and dangerous.

The reason competitions are being postponed is because club players themselves have had to go into isolation. It’s to do with competition integrity and protecting players and staff who have been infected, rather than reducing transmission among spectators, of which the risk is very low at this stage anyway.

You can claim “common sense” all you like, but you haven’t got any evidence for it. It’s a weak tactic and can be disregarded. Are you saying the Chief Scientific Adviser and Chief Medical Officer have no common sense? Come on, stop being ridiculous.

Give me scientific expertise over H1987’s keyboard-based “common sense”. When all you have is reductionist, baseless hysteria, your argument has little credibility.

All I’m saying is the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Adviser have been pretty clear and thorough with their logic and explanations. Go too early and banning large gatherings of people when you’re well before the peak and it ends up being counter-productive. That’s because the public get fatigued and ignore the advice, and longer term it increases the likelihood of further epidemics and outbreaks, while adding strain to the NHS.

Every scientific body says this and has justified this. It’s weird you’re claiming from behind your keyboard you know better, given your lack of expertise.

Worryingly you also seem particularly satisfied for football clubs to go out of business, particularly ones like ours which would be hit worse by cancellations, as we rely on attendances to survive.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2966
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 pm

York and Altrincham have decided to postpone

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Old Git
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Old Git » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Seems Chester v Boston also called off because of safety concerns for players and supporters.

H1987
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:34 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 pm
H1987 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:34 pm
H1987 wrote:Totally irresponsible. Regardless of lessened risk outside, 1500 people in a small space is a risk we shouldn't be taking. Just because it will not harm a lot of people doesn't mean we should recklessly spread it and pass it on to others who it might.
Totally irresponsible to follow the advice of the Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer, you mean?

It’s all well and good taking the moral high ground, but these are clubs which will financially collapse without income. Shut them down for six weeks and clubs will struggle to stay afloat. That’s an inevitable consequence at this level.

If the official advice is they can go ahead, then so be it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong by the way, more that I think calling it “totally irresponsible” is over the top, unless you’re lack a global pandemic strategy expert.
Nope, just common sense, and being proactive.

Better to be cautious than be dead. It’s not a moral argument, it’s recognising the severity of the situation and acting appropriately.

So you’d carry on playing every division would you? That was the official line after all.
As I said earlier (and seemingly flew over your little head), I’m not endorsing either position. I’m just explaining the counter-argument, as set out by the leading scientific and medical minds in the country, and explaining why your “better cautious than dead” hysteria is reductionist and dangerous.

The reason competitions are being postponed is because club players themselves have had to go into isolation. It’s to do with competition integrity and protecting players and staff who have been infected, rather than reducing transmission among spectators, of which the risk is very low at this stage anyway.

You can claim “common sense” all you like, but you haven’t got any evidence for it. It’s a weak tactic and can be disregarded. Are you saying the Chief Scientific Adviser and Chief Medical Officer have no common sense? Come on, stop being ridiculous.

Give me scientific expertise over H1987’s keyboard-based “common sense”. When all you have is reductionist, baseless hysteria, your argument has little credibility.

All I’m saying is the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Adviser have been pretty clear and thorough with their logic and explanations. Go too early and banning large gatherings of people when you’re well before the peak and it ends up being counter-productive. That’s because the public get fatigued and ignore the advice, and longer term it increases the likelihood of further epidemics and outbreaks, while adding strain to the NHS.

Every scientific body says this and has justified this. It’s weird you’re claiming from behind your keyboard you know better, given your lack of expertise.

Worryingly you also seem particularly satisfied for football clubs to go out of business, particularly ones like ours which would be hit worse by cancellations, as we rely on attendances to survive.
Ok, boomer

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1895
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:12 am

Government about to do a U-Turn and announce from next weekend a ban on mass gatherings of over 500 people to ease the burden on the emergency services. So you handle it 2 ways as a league. You either ask clubs to limit crowds to 400 (taking into account the extra 100 players/officials/volunteers and workers) or you just call the league off to limit the hassle. The latter is more probable you would say.

quakersfan
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by quakersfan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:48 am

I think today will be the last game in along time. As we are run by volunteers at least we don’t have a large non playing wage bill particularly with Craig Morley now left.
If the players and football management were to take a reduction or deferred payment we can get through this. HMRC are notorious in chasing monthly PAYE hopefully that will be relaxed as well as VAT. Also is the cup run money still there or has it already been spent £100k? as this could really help us get through next few months.
I’m the short terms I’m taking 3 people who support other teams along today to boost funds.

lo36789
Posts: 8427
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am

People seems to be interpreting a move to close mass gatherings as a U-turn.

Pretty sure they said there would be a progressive plan which will balance all factors it is a changing and progressing picture and new measures will be brought in as we go.

Tbh there are 4 or 5 games off in our division basically clubs voting with their feet.

darlobaz791
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:17 am

They’ve just confirmed that after talks the game remains on today. https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/darling ... tic-update

bga
Posts: 1337
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by bga » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 am

quakersfan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:48 am
I think today will be the last game in along time. As we are run by volunteers at least we don’t have a large non playing wage bill particularly with Craig Morley now left.
If the players and football management were to take a reduction or deferred payment we can get through this. HMRC are notorious in chasing monthly PAYE hopefully that will be relaxed as well as VAT. Also is the cup run money still there or has it already been spent £100k? as this could really help us get through next few months.
I’m the short terms I’m taking 3 people who support other teams along today to boost funds.
"Particularly with Craig Morley now left"......could be interpreted as a dig.....do you know how much he was on? We may still be paying him.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:06 am

It does seem strange to hold this game today. It seems that there will be a long lay off with two options at the end of it. Either to declare a kind of ghost season or to ram a load of matches in mid summer. Either way todays game seems a bit pointless.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

darlo reborn
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:09 am

Only pointless if we lose lol

Post Reply