My first game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Cal_shots
Team Supported: Aldershot

My first game

Post by Cal_shots » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi Darlo fans, I got talking to some friends about our first ever live football game we watched, and I am after a little help, my first match was around 95/96? And it was darlo vs Rochdale! I think the score was 2-0 and Robbie painter scored! Can someone help me with what year etc! It was my first ever football match as a young lad and got me into football! I now live away from the area and I am an aldershot town season ticket holder and have been for 10 years! Thanks

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: My first game

Post by divas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 pm

We didn’t beat Rochdale at home in 95/96 or 96/97. We beat them 4-0 at the end of the 94/95 season but Painter never scored

Cal_shots

Post by Cal_shots » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:57 pm

Maybe I am confused as to who darlo played then but it was 2-0 or 2-1 with painter scoring, sorry not much good I was young at the time!

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 pm

That was my first game too! Saturday 5th October 1996, we drew 1-1. Attendance: 3,071 (From the 11v11 site)

Cal_shots

Post by Cal_shots » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 pm

I remember painter scoring and my dad lifting me up and painter slapping mine and other fans hands behind the goal. I thought it was 2-0 but you maybe right!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:03 pm

I've been to Aldershot once to watch Darlington, pretty sure it was around 2009 and we lost. The thing that struck me was the row of drummers, best I've ever heard at a footie ground.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 am

Conversely my first ever football match was at Aldershot. One cold Tuesday night in winter 75.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:43 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:03 pm
I've been to Aldershot once to watch Darlington, pretty sure it was around 2009 and we lost. The thing that struck me was the row of drummers, best I've ever heard at a footie ground.
Suspect the drummers would have been some of the military bandsmen💂‍♂️💂‍♂️💂‍♂️

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 am
Conversely my first ever football match was at Aldershot. One cold Tuesday night in winter 75.
Did we have much of a following that night? 😆

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 pm

TKOA wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 am
Did we have much of a following that night? 😆
This match in 75 wasn't Darlo related, I think Aldershot back then were in Div 3, and I think they got relegated that season.

I used to live about 16 miles away from Aldershot and me and a school friend got a bus in, I remember it being a bit rough, lots of firework throwing and the odd scuffle, but exciting too.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Robbie Painter and Robbie Blake - a great double act up front for us in 95/96.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:11 am

First game the first round Fa cup in 1972 a 1-1 draw with Wrexham at Feethams, if honest I couldn't remember score but scared and thrilled at same time in Tin Shed, was always some bother, watching later Sunderland beat Leeds in the final wishing it could have been Darlington. Never thought 40 years later I would see Darlo win at Wembley, still gives me goosebumps.
Other teams playing in the FA cup first Round Spennymoor United(original team not Evenwood united) 1-1 Shrewsbury lost replay and South Shields(later Gateshead Utd) lost 4-0 to Rotherham.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:23 am

My first ever game was a Friday night. Because of a docklands concert the following day Leyton Orient brought forward the Darlo game to the Friday night 8/10/1988. Darlo lost 1-0 my second game Cambridge away Darlo lost 1-0 a pattern to my Darlo watching career was beginning to form.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

My first game

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:45 pm

My first game was a LC tie in 1975 at Sheff Wed. Colin Sinclair (my hero on the basis he was shown as top scorer in my Rothmans book of Football) played and scored.

I had moved to Sheffield as a kid from Manchester and had followed Darlo as my " Second team" due to a kindness when I wrote to the club asking for autographs.They sent me programmes as well.

Darlo played in White shirts and Red shorts and won 0-2 but lost the 2nd leg at Feethams by the same score so a third game took place at Hillsborough. Darlo won this too, my second game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 am

First away game was the 10-0 thrashing by Donny Rovers then getting chased all the way back to the station. Unhappy daze😥

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:02 am

My first was at Haig Avenue, Easter Monday 1978. My in-laws from Southport were thankfully with me when someone loudly asked "aren't you a Darlington fan"?! We lost 1-0 and they weren't re-elected that season. A surprise really as they were fourth division champions only five years earlier.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:02 am
My first was at Haig Avenue, Easter Monday 1978. My in-laws from Southport were thankfully with me when someone loudly asked "aren't you a Darlington fan"?! We lost 1-0 and they weren't re-elected that season. A surprise really as they were fourth division champions only five years earlier.
We have the A1 and East Coast mainline to thank for our continual re-election to Div 3 north and Div 4.
8 times in total I think we had to apply for re-election, and being close to major transport links was a big influence when other teams were voting on who to keep in the league. Barrow, Workington and Southport to a lesser degree, were unfortunately buggers to get to and were thrown out.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:58 am

banktopp wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 am
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:02 am
We have the A1 and East Coast mainline to thank for our continual re-election to Div 3 north and Div 4.
8 times in total I think we had to apply for re-election, and being close to major transport links was a big influence when other teams were voting on who to keep in the league. Barrow, Workington and Southport to a lesser degree, were unfortunately buggers to get to and were thrown out.
I can remember when Crewe were struggling in the 1970s and applying for re-election it was said they would not be thrown out because of their transport links. Like us they are a main line station and a transport hub and I guess the theory was they would be more likely to get votes because of the ease of travel there. Could never quite work it out as I cannot remember many teams travelling by train to play us.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:07 am

My first game was New Years Eve 1966 we beat Swindon 2-1 at home and I was hooked from then on. I have a vague memory that Les O’Neill may have scored one of our goals.
That was in the old 3rd Division and even though we were relegated at the end of the season the passion had been sown and have been a supporter ever since. If only I had known that it would be nearly 20 years to wait for my first taste of success .

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:35 pm

My first game was in 96 at Feethams V Northampton Town, and what a great game it was, the passion had been sown and I have been a supporter ever since. If only I had known that it would be nearly 15 years to wait for my first taste of success .

Touché Old Git.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

HurworthMan

Post by HurworthMan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm

One of the very first games I saw lingers long in the memory. Quakers 5 Chester 1. 19th November 1960. The match was played on a Saturday afternoon in fog so dense that the goals were not visible from any viewing point on the East or West stands or the side terraces. The recently installed floodlights were on but had little effect. I particularly remember Joe Rayment running up and down the right wing jovially asking folk in the crowd what the score was.
Searching online records to learn what the date of this match was, I see that the following Saturday we played the first of FIVE ties over nineteen days against Hull City in the FA Cup. The first four ties were locked at 1 1 (which will have meant extra time played in three of them) and the fifth match saw Hull go through 3. 0. The four replays will have meant trips to neutral grounds, and yet during the same 19 day window two further 4th division matches were played as well.

What would the pampered Premier League stars of today think of seven fixtures in 19 days including five of them to settle an FA cup tie? Happy days!
MARCHING ON TOGETHER

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 pm

That's amazing! I wonder if anyone went to all five games? https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -512081462

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:07 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 pm
That's amazing! I wonder if anyone went to all five games? https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -512081462
If they did they must have questioned their own sanity at the end of it all -

FA Cup 2nd Round, 2nd Replay played at Elland Road, Leeds. The match was abandoned after 90 minutes due to bad weather.

ffs

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:33 am

HurworthMan wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm
One of the very first games I saw lingers long in the memory. Quakers 5 Chester 1. 19th November 1960. The match was played on a Saturday afternoon in fog so dense that the goals were not visible from any viewing point on the East or West stands or the side terraces. The recently installed floodlights were on but had little effect. I particularly remember Joe Rayment running up and down the right wing jovially asking folk in the crowd what the score was.
Searching online records to learn what the date of this match was, I see that the following Saturday we played the first of FIVE ties over nineteen days against Hull City in the FA Cup. The first four ties were locked at 1 1 (which will have meant extra time played in three of them) and the fifth match saw Hull go through 3. 0. The four replays will have meant trips to neutral grounds, and yet during the same 19 day window two further 4th division matches were played as well.

What would the pampered Premier League stars of today think of seven fixtures in 19 days including five of them to settle an FA cup tie? Happy days!
They might have to do that if they want to finish the league season before August😅

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:24 pm

On the Hull game can anybody help who was there? I was about 11 for the tie and got to the ground just before kickoff so I couldnt get to my usual place with my mates behind the goal. Consequently I stood abouut level with the goal area halfway back. We were losing 1-0 with not long to go when our guy hit the ball (I seem to remember it was a straight return from their clrearance). I saw the shot right in line with it go just over the bar. Next I looked to my right and the Hull players were around the ref giving him Hell. The ref had given a goal!! Pretty soon after the whistle sounded for full time and the Hull contingent were up in arms. I walked back to the station with one of their fans who said what lucky bstards we were and they would get us in the replay. When I got to school on the Monday the rumour was that a young fan had picked the ball up and stuffed it under the net from the back. Then came the replays. I only went to the last one at Ayrsome Park and It was an awful night. Thoroughly outclassed. How did we manage to draw the others? Now my questions. I am convinced that ball went over the bar but did anybody else see it and can they tell me it went under the bar? Or would the lad who pushed it under the net like to own up?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:43 pm

swadquaker wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:24 pm
On the Hull game can anybody help who was there? I was about 11 for the tie and got to the ground just before kickoff so I couldnt get to my usual place with my mates behind the goal. Consequently I stood abouut level with the goal area halfway back. We were losing 1-0 with not long to go when our guy hit the ball (I seem to remember it was a straight return from their clrearance). I saw the shot right in line with it go just over the bar. Next I looked to my right and the Hull players were around the ref giving him Hell. The ref had given a goal!! Pretty soon after the whistle sounded for full time and the Hull contingent were up in arms. I walked back to the station with one of their fans who said what lucky bstards we were and they would get us in the replay. When I got to school on the Monday the rumour was that a young fan had picked the ball up and stuffed it under the net from the back. Then came the replays. I only went to the last one at Ayrsome Park and It was an awful night. Thoroughly outclassed. How did we manage to draw the others? Now my questions. I am convinced that ball went over the bar but did anybody else see it and can they tell me it went under the bar? Or would the lad who pushed it under the net like to own up?
I also was the same age but stood in the tin shed. A Bobby Baxter lob dropped over the bar and the ball ended up in the net, having been pushed in through the back. At the time Lance Robson was my dentist, me and every other kid who went to Feethams. Visits were regular due to the rotting effect of Black Jack chews. On one of these visits I dared to ask if it was a goal, he replied "The ball ended up in the net so it must have been".
I think Doug Embleton might have an informed opinion.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:17 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 am
First away game was the 10-0 thrashing by Donny Rovers then getting chased all the way back to the station. Unhappy daze😥
I remember it well as me and my mates were at our home reserve game and at half time we volunteered one to go to find the score. He came back saying 6-0 and none of us believed him.
Ten lucky breakaway goals apparently

GrassrootsMatt

Post by GrassrootsMatt » Fri May 01, 2020 8:03 am

If memory serves me right, my first game was the game against Burnley at the Riverside. I was still at school, and I was really a Man Utd fan back then thanks to my old man. A lad at school was a Darlo fan, and invited me along. When we were leaving he warned me that it wasn't always that exciting.

He wasn't wrong was he? :lol:
Come on Darlo!