It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Nimrod
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Nimrod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:57 pm

Since Barnet 0 Darlington 2.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa4LDM8S7Pw

Who was there?

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Me and the future mrs. Coppers took some batteries off me that I’d inadvertently left in my pocket. Remember listening to Brian on radio 5 on the coach after the game and the physio thanking us for our support as we got dropped off at feethams twin towers. Happy days !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biccynana
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by biccynana » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:38 pm

Nimrod wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:57 pm
Since Barnet 0 Darlington 2.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa4LDM8S7Pw

Who was there?
And about 12 months later, heading for a second consecutive promotion, DFC on Saint and Greavsie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0neTcZFdqc

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12774
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Thanks for that Nimrod I was there. I only missed 2 games home & away all season & that was because of a holiday booked before the season started. I remember going to the first game of the season at Wycombe & someone said lets go to every game this season, so there was a group of around 10 of us that went to just about every game that season. Great memories.

norwich darlo
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:47 pm

At the time I was living in Essex and got back home before six. At the time BBC 2 used to do a sports roundup so I was eagerly watching for Darlo to get a mention...not a word until right at the end and they ran a special report billing it the biggest non-league game of the season. It cut to the Darlo fans who had been kept back and had been encouraged to sing by a reporter who was standing on the away turnstile roof. the camera panned around and low and behold there were I and my mate in full technicolour. great memories from a great day out.

biccynana
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by biccynana » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:20 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:24 pm
Thanks for that Nimrod I was there. I only missed 2 games home & away all season & that was because of a holiday booked before the season started. I remember going to the first game of the season at Wycombe & someone said lets go to every game this season, so there was a group of around 10 of us that went to just about every game that season. Great memories.
Not 100% certain but wasn't our first GMVC game at home to Kiddie? Was Wycombe the first away game?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12774
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:56 pm

biccynana wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:20 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:24 pm
Thanks for that Nimrod I was there. I only missed 2 games home & away all season & that was because of a holiday booked before the season started. I remember going to the first game of the season at Wycombe & someone said lets go to every game this season, so there was a group of around 10 of us that went to just about every game that season. Great memories.
Not 100% certain but wasn't our first GMVC game at home to Kiddie? Was Wycombe the first away game?
Now I'm not sure now, you may be right. I thought our first away game was at Wycombe & there was less than 50 of us there.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:18 pm

biccynana wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:24 pm
Thanks for that Nimrod I was there. I only missed 2 games home & away all season & that was because of a holiday booked before the season started. I remember going to the first game of the season at Wycombe & someone said lets go to every game this season, so there was a group of around 10 of us that went to just about every game that season. Great memories.
Not 100% certain but wasn't our first GMVC game at home to Kiddie? Was Wycombe the first away game?
Yes, Kidderminster was our first game.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12774
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 pm

The thing that struck me from the Barnet clip was how many fans had replica shirts. I don't remember it being a big thing in those days, but the films don't lie.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6229
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:56 pm


Now I'm not sure now, you may be right. I thought our first away game was at Wycombe & there was less than 50 of us there.
Way more than 50 there Pete, couple of hundred at least.

Wiseacre
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Wasn't it 0-1 - Gary Coatsworths looping header ?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12774
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm
Wasn't it 0-1 - Gary Coatsworths looping header ?
I think you're thinking of Welling away.

Mister e
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm
Wasn't it 0-1 - Gary Coatsworths looping header ?
No that was welling in the sunshine the day we won the league it was 0 1 I believe David cork scored the winner late on it was played at Wycombe's old ground loakes park I remember an old lady selling home made cheese egg and tuna sandwiches in the stand at the side. I'm sure two supporters coaches went that day being the first away game in the conference it was a bit of a novelty. We used DTC (Darlington transport company) to ferry us about that season and always stopped at the wetherby whaler fish shop on our way home great days.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6229
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm
I'm sure two supporters coaches went that day being the first away game in the conference it was a bit of a novelty.
I was thinking that too, not sure why Pete thinks we had less than 50. We had great support at most away games that season.

Wiseacre
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:14 pm

Yes it was Welling - thanks for that. They've fallen a bit since then, a shame really. It's nice to remember and I'm sure we'll savour some stuff from this season like Walsall and York away - I hope they come through all this.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12774
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:22 pm
Mister e wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm
I'm sure two supporters coaches went that day being the first away game in the conference it was a bit of a novelty.
I was thinking that too, not sure why Pete thinks we had less than 50. We had great support at most away games that season.
I often travelled to the away games that season on one of the two supporters buses, I just thought for that game we didn't have two buses. I remember being in that paddock on the side of the pitch like it was yesterday.

norwich darlo
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by norwich darlo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 am

biccynana wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:20 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:24 pm
Thanks for that Nimrod I was there. I only missed 2 games home & away all season & that was because of a holiday booked before the season started. I remember going to the first game of the season at Wycombe & someone said lets go to every game this season, so there was a group of around 10 of us that went to just about every game that season. Great memories.
Not 100% certain but wasn't our first GMVC game at home to Kiddie? Was Wycombe the first away game?
3-0 Darlo John Borthwick got two not sure about the third It was my first ever Feethams game.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:01 am

Followed up with a 4-0 win v Northwich Vic playing in green if memory serves. Such a long time ago though I could be wrong.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6229
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:05 am

norwich darlo wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 am
biccynana wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:20 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:24 pm
Thanks for that Nimrod I was there. I only missed 2 games home & away all season & that was because of a holiday booked before the season started. I remember going to the first game of the season at Wycombe & someone said lets go to every game this season, so there was a group of around 10 of us that went to just about every game that season. Great memories.
Not 100% certain but wasn't our first GMVC game at home to Kiddie? Was Wycombe the first away game?
3-0 Darlo John Borthwick got two not sure about the third It was my first ever Feethams game.
Mark Hine scored v Kiddie

Mister e
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Mister e » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 pm

Does anybody remember fisher athletic away that season probably the most terrifying experience I've ever had at a Darlington game. About 300 Millwall skinheads turned up some of them in their forties looking to do let's say not very nice things to the Darlington contingent. Amazingly we took four coaches down to the game that day but the atmosphere was putrid with every Darlington fan trying to keep a low profile. I also remember the supporters coach I was on rescuing a dozen of our terrified supporters on London bridge.we won the game 2 0 yet when the goals went in you could hear a pin drop thank god those days are behind us I sometimes don't think today's youngsters realize how lucky they are compared to what we sometimes endured.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12774
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:09 pm

Yep not a very pleasant a experience. The Millwall fans went round the ground bashing anybody they thought was a Darlo fan. I remember our coach picked up Aidan & his friends on London Bridge. The only other experience of Millwall fans whilst watching Darlo, was when watched Darlo play about the 3rd or 4th replay against Orient at White Hart Lane. The atmosphere was really friendly with Darlo, Orient & Spurs fans mixing, then 200 Millwall turned up & the coppers there got very scared.

Mister e
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Mister e » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:42 pm

I also recall just two days later it was the players turn to be on the receiving end in the battle of Northwich. We got kicked off the park that night smudger claimed a Northwich striker bit a chunk out of his head. Keeper mark prudhoe was out for about six weeks and I think we had a midfielder called Mike Robinson who never played again. We lost 1-0 and rumour has it at the time that Stan flashman ticket tout and chairman of our nearest rivals at the time Barnet had offered the Northwich players £100 each has a bonus if they did us over.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:55 pm

Mister e wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 pm
Does anybody remember fisher athletic away that season probably the most terrifying experience I've ever had at a Darlington game. About 300 Millwall skinheads turned up some of them in their forties looking to do let's say not very nice things to the Darlington contingent. Amazingly we took four coaches down to the game that day but the atmosphere was putrid with every Darlington fan trying to keep a low profile. I also remember the supporters coach I was on rescuing a dozen of our terrified supporters on London bridge.we won the game 2 0 yet when the goals went in you could hear a pin drop thank god those days are behind us I sometimes don't think today's youngsters realize how lucky they are compared to what we sometimes endured.
My overriding thoughts on Fisher were that it has to be the worst ground ever to be allowed at that sort of level. Made the away end and bogs at York look totally sanitary by comparison.
As I also hold a season ticket at West Ham I am used to the Millwall fruit loops.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Mister e wrote:I also recall just two days later it was the players turn to be on the receiving end in the battle of Northwich. We got kicked off the park that night smudger claimed a Northwich striker bit a chunk out of his head. Keeper mark prudhoe was out for about six weeks and I think we had a midfielder called Mike Robinson who never played again. We lost 1-0 and rumour has it at the time that Stan flashman ticket tout and chairman of our nearest rivals at the time Barnet had offered the Northwich players £100 each has a bonus if they did us over.
Went to Fisher, no police presence, and the Millwall scum were just looking for Darlo fans to assault which I saw on a few occasions.They really were as hard as nails, absolute nutcases and I left with about 20 mins to go for the Rotherite underground.
Also saw the Northwich game,absolutely kicked off the park, the ref had a nightmare and should have sent off at least 2 of their players.We had no protection whatsoever and they played like there lives depended on it.No surprise if Flashman offered that to them, would guess that would have included that ref as well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
The_Ozzman_Cometh
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:57 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:41 pm

I still have a book were I kept a results grid and match by match League table for that Conference Season.
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:13 pm

There were very strong allegations that the ref was given a bung. Unsubstantiated, naturally.

User avatar
Magical Quakers
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Nottingham

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Magical Quakers » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 pm

Mister e wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:42 pm
I think we had a midfielder called Mike Robinson who never played again.


If it is the same one he was called Neil Robinson and I see to recall he was a vegan, so didn’t wear leather football boots. Isn’t it odd the things you remember (assuming I’m right of course).

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13078
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by divas » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 am

Magical Quakers wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 pm
Mister e wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:42 pm
I think we had a midfielder called Mike Robinson who never played again.


If it is the same one he was called Neil Robinson and I see to recall he was a vegan, so didn’t wear leather football boots. Isn’t it odd the things you remember (assuming I’m right of course).
Yes it was Neil Robinson, came into the midfield for Mark Hine after his departure to Peterborough around Christmas

Lallacab
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: It was 30 years ago this week just gone.....

Post by Lallacab » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:11 am

divas wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 am
Magical Quakers wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 pm
Mister e wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:42 pm
I think we had a midfielder called Mike Robinson who never played again.


If it is the same one he was called Neil Robinson and I see to recall he was a vegan, so didn’t wear leather football boots. Isn’t it odd the things you remember (assuming I’m right of course).
Yes it was Neil Robinson, came into the midfield for Mark Hine after his departure to Peterborough around Christmas
I always thought Neil Robinson played wide right? Ginger guy who had a great cross - could be imagining it all to be honest

Post Reply