Seeing as it’s coming up to 20 years since Wembley 2000

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Nimrod
Team Supported: Darlington

Seeing as it’s coming up to 20 years since Wembley 2000

Post by Nimrod » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:37 am

And to ease the boredom of lockdown, I was trying to think of some kind of challenge.
I recently found a letter that I sent to Hodgy in early 2001 - he replied btw - in which I asked him a load of questions about his time in charge and in particular his thoughts about the 1999/00 season. I remember being totally surprised that he replied because at the time he’d not been too keen to do interviews as there was all sorts of politics rumbling on with GR. I’ll try to find time to write up his responses to me and post on here if anyone is interested. I did send it all to Daniel King at the time for WTMG fanzine but can’t remember if he published it.
But this got me thinking, through the power of social media and such like we could try and track down every player from that 1999/00 squad and get an anecdote or two from them seeing as it’s 20 years, and then post them on here. A fair few of the players are on Twitter I bet. Also, what about some of the fringe players - what would Gary Himsworth, Jesper Hjorth, Craig Russell or Mark Samways remember about that time? Just an idea anyway - you can tell I’m bored........

QUAKERMAN2

Re: Seeing as it’s coming up to 20 years since Wembley 2000

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:51 am

Good idea this, also have had a few messages from Andy Toman on Facebook about our conference season, all sorts going on behind the scenes apparently with clubs raising their game,dodgy officials etc and he has lots to say which would be fascinating.Not sure if he looks at this message board though.....over to you Scully.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:47 pm

I remember going down on the Friday morning on the train & we'd bought tickets in advance for an open top bus trip round London. Needless to say we had the bus to ourselves as it pelted down all day. Still don't know how we lost that match. Came back on one of the two special trains organised by British Rail to bring some of the Darlo fans back up to the North.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I remember going down on the Friday morning on the train & we'd bought tickets in advance for an open top bus trip round London. Needless to say we had the bus to ourselves as it pelted down all day. Still don't know how we lost that match. Came back on one of the two special trains organised by British Rail to bring some of the Darlo fans back up to the North.
Also went down on the Friday with my wife and son, stayed at the Hilton just round the corner, gutted we lost and went back to the hotel only to see all the Peterborough party there with Barry Fry and his medal round his neck giving it rock all.Heard him say the better side lost.....horrible journey home next morning.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:09 pm

It's hard to believe it was 20 years ago! I can remember it vividly even though I was only 13 at the time.

I skived school and travelled down with my dad and sister and some of my dad's friends in a hired people carrier and we stayed overnight at someone's house in Croydon. It was a miserable day, torrential rain right the way through we'd gone in to London during the day and went on the London Eye, apparently on a clear day you could see what was then Wembley's Twin Towers but that day you could see little beyond the Houses of Parliament because of the mist.

I remember getting the tube to Wembley and I'll never forget the feeling of seeing it for the first time, I'd never been as excited and nervous for a football match as I was that day, not even on the day of the Trophy final! I remember being awe struck at the size of the place and I think I said to my dad "you could fit Feethams in here!" the place was a dump though, I remember my seat being broken it took a bit of force to lift it up and put it down.

The big open areas behind the goals were flooded and the pitch was bogging, Marco Gabbiadini went down on it and you could see the water coming up from under him as he slid along. I remember Craig Liddle's heroic last ditch tackle to stop them from scoring,, I remember Peter Duffield being in acres of space and screaming to Gabba's for the ball but he went for glory and ended up running it out of play, I can't remember too much about their goal but it was a horrible feeling at full time.

To this day I'll never understand why an England friendly was arranged on the same weekend as the Play-Off finals, they played Brazil the following day and the sun was shining!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

GrassrootsMatt

Post by GrassrootsMatt » Fri May 01, 2020 11:00 am

Great idea - could we even get some of the fans to give some input? Their thoughts and memories of the season?

Could we even put something together and sell it to try and raise a bit of extra money for the club? Just thinking out loud here by the way.
Come on Darlo!