Potential new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun May 17, 2020 8:13 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:55 am
tdk1 wrote:Wasn't the older one Jim and the younger one James? Or is it the other way round?
Older one was Jim, pretty sure James could be at Forest Green Rovers, good keeper but would he want to return to the NLN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron, do you remember Jim Montgomery's motivational interviews when he was our coach. So many 'Y'knows' he made Gary Bennett sound as articulate as Stephen Fry

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun May 17, 2020 8:59 am

JE93 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:45 am
tdk1 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:32 pm
Where's James Montgomery at the moment? I'd be surprised to see him back at nln level, very good keeper.
If you mean the former Gateshead keeper, hes currently at Fylde signed for them last summer from Forest Green.

He signed a 2 year deal with fylde in july 2019

Great keeper

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:16 am

Montgomery was first team keeper at Fylde when I was there last season - the only thing is I am not sure what Fylde's budget is likely to be next season...if they aren't in NLN anyway depending what happens with promotion / relegation this season (although they would be rather unfortunate as nobody seems to be relegating teams this season).

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun May 17, 2020 9:31 am

Is Dale Southwell up to much these days? Him and Campbell could be a great partnership.

With Montgomery, it’s a stab in the dark would be unbelievable if we managed to pull that off somehow, was just trying to think of keepers who are from the area.

P.s how long did Jameson sign for York for?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun May 17, 2020 9:44 am

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:31 am
Is Dale Southwell up to much these days? Him and Campbell could be a great partnership.

With Montgomery, it’s a stab in the dark would be unbelievable if we managed to pull that off somehow, was just trying to think of keepers who are from the area.

Jameson is signed on until the end of next season.

The only contracted players York have left are:
Whitley
Jameson
McLoughlin
Green

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun May 17, 2020 10:46 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:44 am
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:31 am

Jameson is signed on until the end of next season.

The only contracted players York have left are:
Whitley
Jameson
McLoughlin
Green
Wow, so burrow, kempster, Newton all available possibly??

Even Kal Griffiths, could be an option and we have the option to move hedley to midfield, happy if he stays as our right back mind, didn’t do much wrong at all especially considering he never played there before

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am

Wouldn’t go anywhere near Newton, and Griffiths will end up back at Spennymoor if he does move on.

I think from what we have seen from Alun, he likes to sign players which he has worked with in the past at either Blyth or Boro. So if you’re looking at a new right-back he will probably go in for Alex Nicholson at Gateshead.

For out wide & up-front, Langstaff & Maguire.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:07 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am
Wouldn’t go anywhere near Newton, and Griffiths will end up back at Spennymoor if he does move on.

I think from what we have seen from Alun, he likes to sign players which he has worked with in the past at either Blyth or Boro. So if you’re looking at a new right-back he will probably go in for Alex Nicholson at Gateshead.

I'd hope he has capacity to go beyond who he knows mind could be somewhat limiting otherwise.

Last season was slightly unique as he had to put a team together very quickly and it coincides with Blyth dropping their budget to bare minimum so was obvious he'd bring across a number of players to get going. Beyond that initial core of players he brought from Blyth.

We'd be quite foolish to commit ourselves too early on players given what is going on. I suspect there could be a number of good quality players who might be seeking full time employment outside of football from next season - and might be swayed to get some part time money to top up their entry position salaries.

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am

I'd hope he has capacity to go beyond who he knows mind could be somewhat limiting otherwise.

Last season was slightly unique as he had to put a team together very quickly and it coincides with Blyth dropping their budget to bare minimum so was obvious he'd bring across a number of players to get going. Beyond that initial core of players he brought from Blyth.
See, this is what happens when you don’t engage your brain properly, and just type the first thing that pops in.

It’s blatantly obvious DarloFan97 isn’t saying literally every single player Armstrong signs will be someone he’s worked with (e.g. Hatfield).

But anyone who has the sense to examine Armstrong’s spells at Blyth and here can see he likes working with players he knows, as do the vast majority of managers in non-league. Tommy Wright was the same (remember all the ex- Nuneaton mob he drafted in).

At Blyth, Armstrong signed plenty of players who’d passed through the Middlesbrough academy, where he worked previously (including his own son). And do you think it’s merely coincidence he turned to Middlesbrough when he needed a loan striker here (Tyrone O’Neill)?

Nor was last season “slightly unique”. It’s no coincidence he went in for half a dozen Blyth players after leaving. He didn’t just grab the first six players at Blyth he thought of. He looked at the squad, and filled many gaps with players he worked with who he knew would sign.

And it’s out and out wrong to say he needed to put together a team quickly. He was appointed in May, leaving more than two months to construct a team for the opening day. That’s longer than many managers get.

That’s the trend. Most of the players he signs, he’ll be familiar with, and will trust them. No different to many other non-league managers. It’s simply a fact, no arguing with it (although doubtless you’ll try).

Do a bit of research, learn not to take everything literally and engage your brain, instead of typing the first thing that comes into your head.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 am

Love to see Tyrone O'Neill back with us, but he is probably destined for higher leagues. With Thommo gone, Donawa may get more of a chance but still short of someone to lead the forward line. Let's wait until AA makes his mind up but can always dream of Andy Carroll using us to get back to full fitness......

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm
See, this is what happens when you don’t engage your brain properly, and just type the first thing that pops in.

It’s blatantly obvious DarloFan97 isn’t saying literally every single player Armstrong signs will be someone he’s worked with (e.g. Hatfield).

But anyone who has the sense to examine Armstrong’s spells at Blyth and here can see he likes working with players he knows, as do the vast majority of managers in non-league. Tommy Wright was the same (remember all the ex- Nuneaton mob he drafted in).
Agree - when a manager takes a new role they tend to develop a squad of players they are familiar with...that isn't really any different to exactly what I said.

I'm not sure I said "that is the only place he buys from either" or even indicated it.

Managers build teams of players they are familiar with, they then develop those those teams with other players. I think it's fair to suggest we are moving into squad development rather than building right now.

It's only logical as there can only be so many players a manager has worked with in a previous role who will continue to be appropriate signings for any new role. Every single year that goes on that number dwindles.

The main point is that it would be better to wait. I expect there will be some excellent current FT players in the FL who won't be getting their contracts renewed until there is more certainty over the FL restart. They will then be forced to look for work outside of football, if that offers a stable income and they can earn extra from playing PT they suddenly become very good prospects for us.

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 18, 2020 9:17 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm

Agree - when a manager takes a new role they tend to develop a squad of players they are familiar with...that isn't really any different to exactly what I said.

I'm not sure I said "that is the only place he buys from either" or even indicated it. .
You literally said: “I'd hope he has capacity to go beyond who he knows mind could be somewhat limiting otherwise.”

That’s precisely where you indicated it, as it was fairly obvious DarloFan97 wasn’t saying literally every player he signs is someone he worked with.

There’s no reason for your first line, if you didn’t take it literally.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:04 am

Ironic

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 18, 2020 1:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:Ironic
Or you’ve been shown up and are back-pedalling to save face.

We already know Armstrong “has capacity to go outside what he knows”, so I don’t understand why you wrote that.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Mon May 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Fraser Kerr released from poolies, centre half.... could be an option

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Hartlepool’s released list is out.

Myles Anderson, Fraser Kerr, Michael Raynes, Niko Muir, Jason Kennedy, Adam Bale, Ryan Catterick, Mitch Beeney, and Brooke Miller.

As ReeceStyche’sManbun points out, in terms of purely on the pitch, Kerr probably fits what we need.
Was certainly pretty reliable at Gateshead too, from what I remember.

No idea on the finances though, given he’d be coming from a full-time wage.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Mon May 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Myles Anderson wouldn’t be too bad either pools fan seem to of liked him, also their top score Touré has been released too, says he wants to play at a higher level though, if that doesn’t work out I wonder if Alun could maybe do some persuading.

Like gramps said wages will be a huge factor. BTB is going to extremely crucial for the next season whenever that will be.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Oh and anyone who believes we should re-sign Kennedy deserves an instant messageboard ban. Just putting that out there.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon May 18, 2020 2:13 pm

I think I've seen 3 retained lists so far, Kidderminster, Carlisle and now Hartlepool. The thing they've had in common is that each has released upwards of 8 players. There's going to be a huge number of players of EFL2, NL and NLN/S standard looking for clubs. No doubt the majority of those released from EFL and NL will try their best to stay in the full-time game. But the reality is that the numbers just won't fit and come the back end of July (assuming preseason goes as planned, which is highly unlikely), when all their options of trials have been exausted, there will be a pool of players preparing to drop down to non-league step 2 and 3. If I was AA, I'd leave 2 or 3 spaces free to make use of this late availability.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:21 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Oh and anyone who believes we should re-sign Kennedy deserves an instant messageboard ban. Just putting that out there.
Would not swap any of our midfielders for Kennedy.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Fraser Kerr fits the bill, but I think he will sign for Gateshead.

Myles Anderson isn’t from the area - shouldn’t be considered.

Niko Muir, tried to sign him last season but wanted to play down south, so also no.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon May 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Oh and anyone who believes we should re-sign Kennedy deserves an instant messageboard ban. Just putting that out there.
He will sign for Spendmore he did well there on loan last season

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Jonny Maddison is available from Port Vale🤔🤔

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon May 18, 2020 4:50 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 pm
Jonny Maddison is available from Port Vale🤔🤔

No thanks.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Spennymoor release list;
Matthew Gould
Tyler Forbes
Stephen Brogan
James Roberts
Adam Boyes
Jake Hibbs

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon May 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Boyes is the most interesting but I bet he was on very good money there. They paid a big fee for him and gave him a two-year deal with the option for a third year.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Boyes is the most interesting but I bet he was on very good money there. They paid a big fee for him and gave him a two-year deal with the option for a third year.
Surprised they have released Roberts who was a regular for them and chipped in with a fair number of goals.Think he played mainly wide right, just wondering if Thommo could be his replacement?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:00 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm
LoidLucan wrote:Boyes is the most interesting but I bet he was on very good money there. They paid a big fee for him and gave him a two-year deal with the option for a third year.
Surprised they have released Roberts who was a regular for them and chipped in with a fair number of goals.Think he played mainly wide right, just wondering if Thommo could be his replacement?

Roberts has moved down South for family reasons, so club didn't take option up on his contract to allow him to be a free agent according to press release

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon May 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Matthew Gould is quite a decent keeper in fairness.

moz1963

Post by moz1963 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Yep he could be