Thommo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:04 am

I guess we will know if he gets fixed up with a new club...as we either will or won't seek compensation at that point.

If he joins a club further down the pyramid I am not even sure the compensation will be worth chasing. You are probably talking £250-£500. If he goes to a NL club we might get a couple of thousand.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 20, 2020 7:15 am

That will be Trotman lo. This thread is confusing, it’s become about two players.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 am

Sorry yeh...didn't read title just got caught in the content...

See he is announced for Spennymoor anyway...this time it is Thompson.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am

m62exile wrote:No problem with Thommo leaving although I thought DFC might have deserved a bit better than a screenshot from his iPhone and then a couple of narky digs in his statement.

But from a football point of view no problem. It’s very unusual for a player to stay on reduced terms and I can’t blame him for accepting more money at Spennymoor. He struggled to get in to the 11 last season unfortunately so maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

Great player in his day though. I’m sure he’ll be motivated to prove he can get back to those standards again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do realise the screenshot was so he could write a longer message, don’t you? What exactly are you after here? It comes across that you’re looking for something to get upset about.

As for narky digs, that’s exactly what you’ve done here.

Let’s just wish him well, thank him for his exceptional service and make sure he doesn’t score against us next season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 am

I see there's one or two idiotic comments on the Echo story already.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am

Quaker85 wrote:I see there's one or two idiotic comments on the Echo story already.
Unfortunately we do have a lot of idiots and so do most clubs..We are bound to get a few booing him and calling him when and if he plays against us

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 am

I’m really confused by those angry at this news. I know it’s a minority, but a vocal one. He wasn’t starting for us last season anyway, and genuinely, I’m not entirely convinced he’s still up to it at this level (on a regular basis anyway). He will have been one of our top earners, but i really struggle to think you could ever justify picking him ahead of Donowa and Rivers.

Personally, I hope he gets a nice payday out of them. He will get a very warm welcome next season as far as I’m concerned.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am

I don't think for one moment Thompson said: "This is what I'd like to say" and then reeled off all this club going in only one direction, long admired them and love the owner and manager spiel. It reads exactly what it is... a pre-written Pride Of press release to tell everyone they are the best.

The claim that a "legend" chose them even though they supposedly offered him no more money is also part of that. They were also a bit stung when they signed David Foley and Shields revealed Spendy lured him with a five-figure signing on fee and a whopping big salary. They want to give the impression that players go there to be part of the Pride Of dream rather than because they chuck money at it.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 am
I’m really confused by those angry at this news. I know it’s a minority, but a vocal one. He wasn’t starting for us last season anyway, and genuinely, I’m not entirely convinced he’s still up to it at this level (on a regular basis anyway). He will have been one of our top earners, but i really struggle to think you could ever justify picking him ahead of Donowa and Rivers.

Personally, I hope he gets a nice payday out of them. He will get a very warm welcome next season as far as I’m concerned.
Agree 100% with the above. We will also have Holmes to come back next season so we have wide attacking options. Campbell is a better choice to play as a central striker and what we need is someone to link up with him.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:53 am

You could put Campbell out wide & he would still contribute more than what Thompson did last season.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:21 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am
I don't think for one moment Thompson said: "This is what I'd like to say" and then reeled off all this club going in only one direction, long admired them and love the owner and manager spiel. It reads exactly what it is... a pre-written Pride Of press release to tell everyone they are the best.

The claim that a "legend" chose them even though they supposedly offered him no more money is also part of that. They were also a bit stung when they signed David Foley and Shields revealed Spendy lured him with a five-figure signing on fee and a whopping big salary. They want to give the impression that players go there to be part of the Pride Of dream rather than because they chuck money at it.
Even if they didn’t pay him more than we were last season (that may well be true), we won’t have been offering him a contract on the same level as he was on because he ceased to be worth star player money when he was no longer our star player. That’s just the reality, and really I think it has been for a couple of years.

He had transformed from our match winner to a long running servant who was a great option on the bench, or performed on occasion, rather than with the consistency that marked his earlier years with us. There’s nothing wrong with that, and it’s not insulting Thommo, whose service should be recognised and applauded. It’s just reality.

If Spennymoor want to pay him that, at 31 (32 when the season starts?) then great for him. I hope he got two years out of them as well. I don’t think he will do badly for them, I expect he will carry on as he did the last season with us. If they think that is worth that money, then good for them and good for him.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:23 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:53 am
You could put Campbell out wide & he would still contribute more than what Thompson did last season.
Totally agree. I wouldn’t mind us doing that and getting another striker in who can lead the line. I know Campbell likes to lead the line, but he strikes me as a team player who will do as he is asked. I think he’d do a good job there too.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:21 am

He had transformed from our match winner to a long running servant who was a great option on the bench, or performed on occasion, rather than with the consistency that marked his earlier years with us. There’s nothing wrong with that, and it’s not insulting Thommo, whose service should be recognised and applauded. It’s just reality.

If Spennymoor want to pay him that, at 31 (32 when the season starts?) then great for him. I hope he got two years out of them as well. I don’t think he will do badly for them, I expect he will carry on as he did the last season with us. If they think that is worth that money, then good for them and good for him.
Thommo hasnt started back to back league games since December. The reality is Ainsley is taking a gamble on a well paid fringe player on current form.
It could well work out for Thommo and I wouldnt begrudge him that either after what he has done for us. He will always be a Darlo legend in my eyes.
However I would rather us get the likes of Donawa, Campbell and Hatfield tied down using some of the money saved on Thommo as both these players played far greater roles for us last season and we can build a team around them.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:57 am

That's the problem with Ainsley - I don't think his recruitment is always up to scratch.

We have seen it before with players he has signed from us before - sometimes for a decent fee - that haven't gone on to be a success there. Andrew Johnson, Nathan Fisher & Adam Mitchell spring to mind straight away.

The chucked a lot of money at David Foley who wasn't there long.

Is Thompson much better than Andrew Johnson who have they just released - also at a similar age?

Fair play to Brad who keeps on backing him!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am

They chucked money at a past-it Gavin Cogden as well.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 pm

They have big, expensive squads and do sometimes collect players who then barely see the light of day as in Boyes, Tuton, Craddock, Hayes, Fewster and Cogdon (last season).
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Uncle Brad has been very loyal to Ainsley for a long time. Not sure how well Ainsley would perform if he was managing a club with a smaller budget.As has been pointed out his recruitment has been patchy. He gets away with it because he has a big squad to choose from.
Would not swap him for AA who can operate under a tight budget. Lets hope Brad doesn’t twig how average Ainsley is and tries to lure AA to switch to them That would be a much greater blow than losing an ageing striker.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Spenny's approach to building a team is like when you used to play football manager games on the Spectrum, break the programming and then cheat by rewriting certain lines which give you pots of money, then go and buy a huge squad just because you can. You have to be a certain age to appreciate the analogy though.

Shed7
Team Supported: Spennymoor

Post by Shed7 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:52 pm

So many things wrong on here. Tommo has gone and just because it’s spennymoor why the digs? Tommo has too much respect for Darlington he said he wants a change let it go. Time will tell if it’s a good move for him.
Regarding Jason Ainsley. He took the club from the 2nd division of the northern league to the national league north via 4 promotions. Remember last season he was penalty kicks away from a 5th promotion. Is his recruitment that bad? He was also on course to reach another play off battle this season.
Regardless of what you think about budgets (nobody knows they just guess) his record as a manager is unbelievable for a part time gaffer. It’s also worth noting he’s been Manager for the same club since 2007.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Like I just said, when playing the football manager game it really is much easier with unlimited pots of money. I feel sure that I won't be the only one to reply to Shed 7's post. He is a Spenny fan by the way.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Shed7 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:52 pm
So many things wrong on here. Tommo has gone and just because it’s spennymoor why the digs? Tommo has too much respect for Darlington he said he wants a change let it go. Time will tell if it’s a good move for him.
Regarding Jason Ainsley. He took the club from the 2nd division of the northern league to the national league north via 4 promotions. Remember last season he was penalty kicks away from a 5th promotion. Is his recruitment that bad? He was also on course to reach another play off battle this season.
Regardless of what you think about budgets (nobody knows they just guess) his record as a manager is unbelievable for a part time gaffer. It’s also worth noting he’s been Manager for the same club since 2007.
Given the level of funding GAS puts in to the club (not a guess, check the accounts) I think it is reasonable to suggest that you have a very strong budget at this level - plus the fact Spennymoor can attract players from further out (a model which we have had to move away from).

His recruitment isn't bad - but he does seem to struggle - hence why I said it isn't always up to scratch. He has signed a fair few players for fees that haven't worked out. Luckily for him he has a luxury of being able to continually chuck big signing-on-fees to players.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm
Shed7 wrote:
Given the level of funding GAS puts in to the club (not a guess, check the accounts)....
Think you have misunderstood the note to the GAS Accounts. It is not the amount of money put into the club by GAS.

The note relates to related transactions, not amount put into club.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 20, 2020 2:11 pm

This is going to be on a par with the classic seven-figure denial in the face of it being clearly written down in black and white :D

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed May 20, 2020 2:13 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:11 pm
This is going to be on a par with the classic seven-figure denial in the face of it being clearly written down in black and white :D
Exactly what i was thinking. Spen has probably been too busy with his dick in his hand to have thought that post through.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:24 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Shed7 wrote:
Given the level of funding GAS puts in to the club (not a guess, check the accounts)....
Think you have misunderstood the note to the GAS Accounts. It is not the amount of money put into the club by GAS.

Transactions ARE money put in to the club. Whether it be sponsorship, commercial, purchases, donations, contracts etc.

Or do you think Groves is taking this money out of the football club and subsidising GAS with this? :lol:

Spennymoor Town FC Ltd are propped up by GAS Ltd, to the tune of £600k+ last accounting year.

This is absolute next-level denial, clearly GAS are subsidising the football club (it is in black & white).

I wouldn't bother embarrassing yourself, as you so often have done in the past (remember the legal discussion around contracts which you embarrassed yourself on, then you scurried away).

That seems to be a common theme.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Some of it is using services from GAS, such as the people who work for GAS but also complete jobs for Spennymoor Town also, finance etc.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Regarding Ainsley, you’ll note how poor their start to the season was last season, you will note the coincidence that they picked up when Taylor came back. I’m not suggesting they are a one man team but they are a different prospect with and without him

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 20, 2020 2:42 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:36 pm
Regarding Ainsley, you’ll note how poor their start to the season was last season, you will note the coincidence that they picked up when Taylor came back. I’m not suggesting they are a one man team but they are a different prospect with and without him

Same could be said for most teams at this level missing their talisman although Spennymoor should have had more chance than most given their squad depth and the amount the quality of his backup

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 20, 2020 2:46 pm

The main stated transactional relationship between GAS and its football club offshoot is the payment of fees by GAS to the club for referrals through the football club of companies seeking to save money on their gas, leccy, phones etc. Again that is down in black and white. How many of these referrals a little non-league football club in a small Co Durham town can realistically unearth is anyone's guess.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed May 20, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:24 pm
spen666 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Shed7 wrote:

Transactions ARE money put in to the club. Whether it be sponsorship, commercial, purchases, donations, contracts etc.

Or do you think Groves is taking this money out of the football club and subsidising GAS with this? :lol:

Spennymoor Town FC Ltd are propped up by GAS Ltd, to the tune of £600k+ last accounting year.

This is absolute next-level denial, clearly GAS are subsidising the football club (it is in black & white).

I wouldn't bother embarrassing yourself, as you so often have done in the past (remember the legal discussion around contracts which you embarrassed yourself on, then you scurried away).

That seems to be a common theme.

You clearly do not understand accounting standards.

Related transactions are not simply money put into the club. They are as they say Related transactions.

Try reading either IAS 24 or FRS 8 - depending upon which basis the accounts are prepared

Like you , I have no idea what subsidy is given by Brad Broves to Spennymoor. I do however know what the requirements of IAS 24 and FRS 8 are and I know that claiming related transactions as the figure for any subsidy is simply wrong.

I am not admitting or denying any amount of subsidy as I do not know this figure, nor is it in the accounts. You are using a figure that means something completely different as your evidence

As a hypothetical example - if the gas bill at the Brewery Field was in the name of GAS, and amounted to £1000. If Spennymoor Town paid the £1000 to GAS to pay the bill, that is a related transaction. It is not a subsidy as the football club are paying the bill.

As I said you are using a figure for something completely different as your proof of the size of subsidy.