Thommo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

JE93
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by JE93 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Sounds like we did the sensible thing, I had a feeling he had already told AA no matter what we offered he wouldn't be returning, so we simply offered him a contract on the same terms again to ensure that should he sign for someone else the rules regarding transfer of players under the age of 24 kicks in and we would be entitled to some compensation.

As for the compensation should he sign for someone else, may only be a couple of £k. But for a fan owned club its a couple of £k we might have not otherwise had.

Good player, but when you start adding together the wage savings on Thommo, Trotman, Ainge (whatever the % was) and Elliott. there should be funds for 3 high quality players in there to get us the GK, CB and CF we need to challenge.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 pm

I also should add that, in order to for the club to be due compensation, we would have had to re-engage with Trotman on the same (or increased) terms than his previous contract.

If we didn't do that, then no compensation will be due. I'm interested to know if we did this - however I don't think we will find out.

Beano
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Beano » Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm

The money Thommo has been allegedly offered is staggering.

Despite being one of our top earners, a 50% pay rise, and a 5 figure signing on fee. We couldn’t possibly match this and he couldn’t possibly turn it down.

Darlo_CR
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Beano wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm
The money Thommo has been allegedly offered is staggering.

Despite being one of our top earners, a 50% pay rise, and a 5 figure signing on fee. We couldn’t possibly match this and he couldn’t possibly turn it down.
From who Spenny or Shields?

LoidLucan
Posts: 3237
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Great Annual Savings FC :D

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue May 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Beano wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm
The money Thommo has been allegedly offered is staggering.

Despite being one of our top earners, a 50% pay rise, and a 5 figure signing on fee. We couldn’t possibly match this and he couldn’t possibly turn it down.
Nothing personal Beano, but I'm always intrigued as to how third parties know the details of what should be private contract discussions between the employer and employee.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4412
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 19, 2020 4:22 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:08 pm
Beano wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm
The money Thommo has been allegedly offered is staggering.

Despite being one of our top earners, a 50% pay rise, and a 5 figure signing on fee. We couldn’t possibly match this and he couldn’t possibly turn it down.
Nothing personal Beano, but I'm always intrigued as to how third parties know the details of what should be private contract discussions between the employer and employee.
I was thinking the same thing, allegedly he gets two camels too (I've heard)
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 19, 2020 4:49 pm

He is training at Gav Cogdons gym in Washington so let's put 2 and 2 together and get 100

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Darlo_CR
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm

Officially signed for Spennymoor.

Good luck to him but gutted at the same time.

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/2020/05/ ... n-capture/

Darlofan97
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Non-penalty goals per 90 mins:

16/17: 0.24 per 90 mins
17/18: 0.21 per 90 mins
18/19: 0.13 per 90 mins
19/20: 0.08 per 90 mins

Assists per 90 mins:

16/17: 0.27 per 90 mins
17/18: 0.18 per 90 mins
18/19: 0.21 per 90 mins
19/20: 0.19 per 90 mins

I wish him well at Spennymoor - an absolute club legend. However I think that the above shows that perhaps it is mutually beneficial for both parties to move on. :thumbup:
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Tue May 19, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789
Posts: 8494
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Thommo

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 pm
I also should add that, in order to for the club to be due compensation, we would have had to re-engage with Trotman on the same (or increased) terms than his previous contract.

If we didn't do that, then no compensation will be due. I'm interested to know if we did this - however I don't think we will find out.
I think we do know as the club statement says we would seek compensation from a new club - we wouldn't seek it if we weren't entitled especially as all we'd have to do was offer the same terms.

It might have been a token gesture as we knew it would be rejected but worth it if it gets something over nothing.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:21 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 pm
I also should add that, in order to for the club to be due compensation, we would have had to re-engage with Trotman on the same (or increased) terms than his previous contract.

If we didn't do that, then no compensation will be due. I'm interested to know if we did this - however I don't think we will find out.
I think we do know as the club statement says we would seek compensation from a new club - we wouldn't seek it if we weren't entitled especially as all we'd have to do was offer the same terms.

It might have been a token gesture as we knew it would be rejected but worth it if it gets something over nothing.
A previous article from the club also said that he remained under contract - so I am a bit sceptical to be honest.

al_quaker
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Thompson, Trotman and Ainge all off the books. Considering only Thompson contributed last season, and even then he wasn't a key performer, that gives Armstrong plenty of scope to really strengthen our team. Maybe it's freed up enough cash to go get that other striker we needed.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3237
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 19, 2020 5:27 pm

He seems to suggest that the financial offer from Spendy and us was pretty much the same but the vibes and football reasons over there clinched it.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Tue May 19, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789
Posts: 8494
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Thommo

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:21 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 pm
I also should add that, in order to for the club to be due compensation, we would have had to re-engage with Trotman on the same (or increased) terms than his previous contract.

If we didn't do that, then no compensation will be due. I'm interested to know if we did this - however I don't think we will find out.
I think we do know as the club statement says we would seek compensation from a new club - we wouldn't seek it if we weren't entitled especially as all we'd have to do was offer the same terms.

It might have been a token gesture as we knew it would be rejected but worth it if it gets something over nothing.
A previous article from the club also said that he remained under contract - so I am a bit sceptical to be honest.
I thought we had an option to be honest so would strictly be under contract if we didn't then take that option and offer a renewal at a comparable salary that would leave us where we are now.

Best situation for all parties.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1983
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm

LoidLucan wrote:He seems to suggest that the financial offer from Spendy and us was pretty much the same but the vibes over there clinched it.
Just read that statement, similar offer from us and that he felt wanted after speaking to Groves and Ainsley. The fact that AA offered a new deal suggests he was wanted here as well.Obviously the so called signing on fee swayed it.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


onewayup
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by onewayup » Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Brad has deep pockets, if he was offered similar contracts, only signing on fee must have bettered what a possible testimonial would have brought him, that's football good luck to thomo.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:06 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:43 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:21 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:52 pm
I also should add that, in order to for the club to be due compensation, we would have had to re-engage with Trotman on the same (or increased) terms than his previous contract.

If we didn't do that, then no compensation will be due. I'm interested to know if we did this - however I don't think we will find out.
I think we do know as the club statement says we would seek compensation from a new club - we wouldn't seek it if we weren't entitled especially as all we'd have to do was offer the same terms.

It might have been a token gesture as we knew it would be rejected but worth it if it gets something over nothing.
A previous article from the club also said that he remained under contract - so I am a bit sceptical to be honest.
I thought we had an option to be honest so would strictly be under contract if we didn't then take that option and offer a renewal at a comparable salary that would leave us where we are now.

Best situation for all parties.
I am a little confused by your point.

We may have had an option - but this hasn't been taken as Trotman is now out of contract (which contradicts what the official website said originally).

We will only receive compensation from another club if we offered Trotman the same (or increased) terms.

Although the club have explained that they are seeking compensation - I am slightly sceptical of the this. The article was written by Ray - who previously said Trotman was under-contract and this was incorrect. I'd prefer to hear it from DJ or CS that the same terms were offered, subsequently rejected and therefore we are entitled to compensation under FA regulations.

However, like I said previously, I don't expect to receive this information as I am certainly not entitled to it as your average fan. I am just quite sceptical of us offering the same terms - and the line at the end of the article could just be a token gesture/mis-information.

*Puts tin-hat on*.

Old Git
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Old Git » Tue May 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Football is a funny old game as a famous pundit used to say.
Over the years Thommo has been a bit of a thorn in Spennymoor’s side but cannot help thinking they have dropped a bit of a clanger here. Surely his best days are behind him but I suppose the move could spark him up a bit.
Think we can use the money freed up by losing Ainge Elliott Trotman and Thommo to build up our squad. If you look what those 4 contributed to last season it wasn’t a great deal.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12789
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:09 pm
Football is a funny old game as a famous pundit used to say.
Over the years Thommo has been a bit of a thorn in Spennymoor’s side but cannot help thinking they have dropped a bit of a clanger here. Surely his best days are behind him but I suppose the move could spark him up a bit.
Think we can use the money freed up by losing Ainge Elliott Trotman and Thommo to build up our squad. If you look what those 4 contributed to last season it wasn’t a great deal.
Agreed he couldn't get near to the starting 11 & when he came on, he rarely made much of an impact. I don't think him going to Spennymoor will improve their squad. Anyway good luck Thommo, apart from when you are playing us of course.

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 pm

So not a 50 per cent pay rise then?

Beano
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Beano » Tue May 19, 2020 6:53 pm

I wouldn't expect any player to declare the salary as an alluring factor in their unveiling.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Me neither.

I think it is more than likely he’s on a better wage that we offered him and got a decent signing on fee.

JasonDeVos
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by JasonDeVos » Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm
Brad has deep pockets, if he was offered similar contracts, only signing on fee must have bettered what a possible testimonial would have brought him, that's football good luck to thomo.
We know by now any chance to launch a sly dig at Darlo and the Spenny PR machine takes full advantage.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4412
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 19, 2020 8:38 pm

Re Thompson it would seem Alun's upset him by plonking him on the bench too many times - personally I'm not over bothered by this, we can't live in the past.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 19, 2020 8:46 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Re Thompson it would seem Alun's upset him by plonking him on the bench too many times - personally I'm not over bothered by this, we can't live in the past.
I thought you would be the 1st person to say I ain't bothered

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


lo36789
Posts: 8494
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Thommo

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:59 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:06 pm
I am a little confused by your point.

We may have had an option - but this hasn't been taken as Trotman is now out of contract (which contradicts what the official website said originally).

We will only receive compensation from another club if we offered Trotman the same (or increased) terms.

Although the club have explained that they are seeking compensation - I am slightly sceptical of the this. The article was written by Ray - who previously said Trotman was under-contract and this was incorrect. I'd prefer to hear it from DJ or CS that the same terms were offered, subsequently rejected and therefore we are entitled to compensation under FA regulations.

However, like I said previously, I don't expect to receive this information as I am certainly not entitled to it as your average fan. I am just quite sceptical of us offering the same terms - and the line at the end of the article could just be a token gesture/mis-information.
I don't know so basically you think there are now 2 articles which are not true?

It just seems plausible to me that Ray is aware of the players where we have options, he was also advised that all players with the exception of those we know about have been offered new deals. From that it is inferred that Trotman is under contract (article 1)

In the case of Trotman rather than calling in the option we simply offered a new deal (but this was a token gesture - basically a gentleman's agreement ie. we won't take the option on you and we will let you leave, but you have to reject this new contract which we will offer you). Trotman then rejected this and we are now eligible for compensation (article 2)

It makes sense for this to happen as he gets what he wants (ie not to travel), we get what we want which is that we aren't committed on his wages but equally have a chance of getting compensation for him.

All of this is assumptions of course, but it would somewhat match the timeline and circumstances if true.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4412
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 19, 2020 9:09 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:46 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Re Thompson it would seem Alun's upset him by plonking him on the bench too many times - personally I'm not over bothered by this, we can't live in the past.
I thought you would be the 1st person to say I ain't bothered

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I bet you didn't really, anyway - I aint bovered.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlofan97
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:22 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:59 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:06 pm
I am a little confused by your point.

We may have had an option - but this hasn't been taken as Trotman is now out of contract (which contradicts what the official website said originally).

We will only receive compensation from another club if we offered Trotman the same (or increased) terms.

Although the club have explained that they are seeking compensation - I am slightly sceptical of the this. The article was written by Ray - who previously said Trotman was under-contract and this was incorrect. I'd prefer to hear it from DJ or CS that the same terms were offered, subsequently rejected and therefore we are entitled to compensation under FA regulations.

However, like I said previously, I don't expect to receive this information as I am certainly not entitled to it as your average fan. I am just quite sceptical of us offering the same terms - and the line at the end of the article could just be a token gesture/mis-information.
I don't know so basically you think there are now 2 articles which are not true?

It just seems plausible to me that Ray is aware of the players where we have options, he was also advised that all players with the exception of those we know about have been offered new deals. From that it is inferred that Trotman is under contract (article 1)

In the case of Trotman rather than calling in the option we simply offered a new deal (but this was a token gesture - basically a gentleman's agreement ie. we won't take the option on you and we will let you leave, but you have to reject this new contract which we will offer you). Trotman then rejected this and we are now eligible for compensation (article 2)

It makes sense for this to happen as he gets what he wants (ie not to travel), we get what we want which is that we aren't committed on his wages but equally have a chance of getting compensation for him.

All of this is assumptions of course, but it would somewhat match the timeline and circumstances if true.
The first article explicitly stated that Trotman was under-contract - which was factually incorrect.

The second article explains that we are seeking compensation for him, but stopped short of saying he was re-engaged with on the same terms (this is what I am doubting).

You are over-complicating it. The talk of gentleman's agreements, options etc. All immaterial to the actual issue. The only point that needs clarifying is, was Trotman offered the same contractual terms in order for us to be due compensation under FA regulations? It's a reasonable question - especially when we were told he was looking to leave but was under-contract, but then he wasn't under-contract within the space of about an hour.

m62exile
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by m62exile » Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 pm

No problem with Thommo leaving although I thought DFC might have deserved a bit better than a screenshot from his iPhone and then a couple of narky digs in his statement.

But from a football point of view no problem. It’s very unusual for a player to stay on reduced terms and I can’t blame him for accepting more money at Spennymoor. He struggled to get in to the 11 last season unfortunately so maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

Great player in his day though. I’m sure he’ll be motivated to prove he can get back to those standards again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply