Natcafe with AA

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Natcafe with AA

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed May 27, 2020 6:05 pm

Darlo_CR

Re: Natcafe with AA

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed May 27, 2020 6:11 pm

"I had a squad of 21 up at Blyth for what it was costing to keep the 9 players that were left when I first came in" good grief!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Who will Spyman blame for the over-spending that year with Martin Gray not in charge?!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Need to dig into his thoughts on Dave Penny a bit more sounds as though they didn’t see eye to eye over football philosophy
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm
Need to dig into his thoughts on Dave Penny a bit more sounds as though they didn’t see eye to eye over football philosophy
From what I remember of Penny he was happy to try to win every game 1-0. Think AA would rather win 5-4 so their football philosophies are very different.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 27, 2020 9:21 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Who will Spyman blame for the over-spending that year with Martin Gray not in charge?!
Sorry?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:31 pm

Spyman wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:21 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:Who will Spyman blame for the over-spending that year with Martin Gray not in charge?!
Sorry?

Alun highlighted that he inherited 9 players here last summer that were on a similar amount to what he was paying a full squad of 21 Blyth players.

As you have been very critical of the club's over-spending in the past, specifically towards Martin Gray who you believe was a driving force behind the over-spending, then who do you blame for the over-spending in the 18/19 season given Gray left in October 2017? Just curious.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 pm

I think this is called a "leading question" - Spen would know for sure though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed May 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Isn't he a chartered accountant m'lud?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 pm

He is so much more than that, he is our learn-ed friend yuronna.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sorry?

Alun highlighted that he inherited 9 players here last summer that were on a similar amount to what he was paying a full squad of 21 Blyth players.

As you have been very critical of the club's over-spending in the past, specifically towards Martin Gray who you believe was a driving force behind the over-spending, then who do you blame for the over-spending in the 18/19 season given Gray left in October 2017? Just curious.
Wright's budget was said (by Johnston) to be less than Gray's budget the season before.

Wright grossly mis-spent his budget.

Not sure how that is relevant to the fact we overspent under Gray, and that Gray quite publicly pushed the board at the time to give him more funds. Funds it turned out we couldn't really afford (hence the legacy debt).

So your dig doesn't really work. I've never claimed Wright did a better job than Gray. But he didn't throw his weight around to try to coerce the club's board to give him funds it couldn't afford. Probably because he had less 'weight' to throw around under the circumstances.

The two are entirely unrelated except they both point to the fact Armstrong is far more capable than the pair of them at assembling a good squad on a limited budget.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Wright never tried to get into bed with a toad either. :shock:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sorry?

Wright's budget was said (by Johnston) to be less than Gray's budget the season before.

Not sure how that is relevant to the fact we overspent under Gray, and that Gray quite publicly pushed the board at the time to give him more funds. Funds it turned out we couldn't really afford (hence the legacy debt).

So your dig doesn't really work. I've never claimed Wright did a better job than Gray. But he didn't throw his weight around to try to coerce the club's board to give him funds it couldn't afford. Probably because he had less 'weight' to throw around under the circumstances.

The two are entirely unrelated except they both point to the fact Armstrong is far more capable than the pair of them at assembling a good squad on a limited budget.

I think you’ve mis-understood the point I’m making.

It isn’t a question of performance, or budget being mis-spent. We all accept Tommy got his recruitment badly wrong.

The point is, is that we over-spent in the 18/19 season when Gray wasn’t around the club. You hammered Gray for over-spending when he was in charge, yet I didn’t hear similar criticisms of Tommy for the season of over-spend when he was manager.

You have been so critical of the big budgets we’ve had over the years (with the issue of a large budget highlighted this evening) - thankfully these have been scaled back - but you only have been critical of those budgets under Gray (who you were all too keen to pin the blame on). Odd.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 pm
From what I remember of Penny he was happy to try to win every game 1-0. Think AA would rather win 5-4 so their football philosophies are very different.
The less said about Dave Penney the better.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sorry?

It isn’t a question of performance, or budget being mis-spent. We all accept Tommy got his recruitment badly wrong.

The point is, is that we over-spent in the 18/19 season when Gray wasn’t around the club. You hammered Gray for over-spending when he was in charge, yet I didn’t hear similar criticisms of Tommy for the season of over-spend when he was manager.

You have been so critical of the big budgets we’ve had over the years (with the issue of a large budget highlighted this evening) - thankfully these have been scaled back - but you only have been critical of those budgets under Gray (who you were all too keen to pin the blame on). Odd.
Not odd at all.

There's a difference between wasting the budget given (Wright) and pushing the club to spend beyond its means (Gray).

Gray spent the money he was given well, more often than not. But the damage it could've caused had it continued could have been monumental - whereas Wright worked within an affordable budget - he may have got us relegated but he wouldn't (couldn't) have crippled the club as Johnstone had a grip on the finances.

As I said, Wright's budget was less than Gray's, and he didn't ask for more (to my knowledge). That's why I wasn't critical.

Armstrong's is less again I believe, and he's done well with it. So no criticism.

Still not sure what point you were trying to make. Inheriting 9 players on big wages is not the same as over-spending if those 9 players fall within budget. Armstrong's point (to paraphrase) is he could get 21 players for the price Wright paid for 9. Not that Wright was overspending his budget.

That's why we had a squad half made up of loanees under Wright. He blew all of his budget on not enough players.

Again, absolutely irrelevant to what Gray did.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Old Git wrote:
You misremember then. Penney's team was excellent to watch, as you'd expect given most of them could play a level or two higher.

Kennedy, Burgmeier, Joachim, Abbott, Foran, Purdie, Austin, Foster - absolute class acts.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 pm

Spyman wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sorry?

Not odd at all.

There's a difference between wasting the budget given (Wright) and pushing the club to spend beyond its means (Gray).

Gray spent the money he was given well, more often than not. But the damage it could've caused had it continued could have been monumental - whereas Wright worked within an affordable budget - he may have got us relegated but he wouldn't (couldn't) have crippled the club as Johnstone had a grip on the finances.

As I said, Wright's budget was less than Gray's, and he didn't ask for more (to my knowledge). That's why I wasn't critical.

Armstrong's is less again I believe, and he's done well with it. So no criticism.

Still not sure what point you were trying to make. Inheriting 9 players on big wages is not the same as over-spending if those 9 players fall within budget. Armstrong's point (to paraphrase) is he could get 21 players for the price Wright paid for 9. Not that Wright was overspending his budget.

That's why we had a squad half made up of loanees under Wright. He blew all of his budget on not enough players.

Again, absolutely irrelevant to what Gray did.

Wright certainly did not work within an affordable budget, it was one which the club couldn’t afford. It was another season of over-spending. So a lot of what you have just said is pretty irrelevant to the point I’m making.

We had to absorb fairly significant losses last year.

Gray was never blameless (and what a mistake to try & get Raj involved which was conducted totally inappropriately), but I was hammered for suggesting the over-spend was never totally his fault as he spent the budget he was allocated by the board (at the time).

You were very critical of Gray’s spending, but unfortunately not so much TW’s!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 am

Wright didn't overspend against his budget (as you will defend Gray to the hilt on), but the budget was set naively based on gates that looked ambitious and a cup run (which never materialised).

As far as I am aware Wright didn't go back to the board at any point telling them to give him more cash because he'd wasted what he spent - if he did they must've said 'no' hence the raft of loan signings that came in and the sale of Styche and Syers.

The difference, and why Gray irked me, is that he reportedly told the board at various points he needed more money to be able to compete and threatened to walk on at least one occasion. This was at levels below where we are now - and you only have to look at the way some of those players came up through two or three leagues with us to think they were probably 'better' than we really needed at that time to achieve the results we did - but it looks from the outside like Gray wanted to throw money at it to do it the easy way.

You can hold the board to account in both cases, but the board when Gray was here were largely volunteers with no experience in running a football club, from various different business backgrounds and their focus was getting the club back on its feet and up the league's.

Johnstone is much more savvy, more experienced, and it shows in the way he very quickly learnt from the way we budgeted for Wright's season in charge.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 am

Johnston - I believe - was involved in setting the budget for the 17/18 season too. He was at least involved at the beginning of the 17/18 season because I remember his discussing the budget early on that season (Alfreton home game in August that season).

Again - Gray “reportedly” went back and asked for more money to compete. News flash, manager asks to spend money & sign players. Doesn’t mean the board have to say yes as ultimately they are accountable.

So Wright is absolved from any blame due to incorrect budgeting but Gray isn’t? That’s fairly hypocritical. Gray never set himself a budget - the budget gets set by the board.

Rather than me backing Gray to the hilt (which I haven’t, I called him out and said he wasn’t blameless at all, he also signed some poor players on big contracts), I think you are just very anti-Gray and were not afraid to pin a lot up very hastily on him. When a similar season of over-spend occurs, with Gray nowhere to be seen, you are very quiet in your criticisms of either the club or Wright.

For someone who took such a strong interest in our finances, I am very surprised.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 am

Didn’t catch the netcafe, did we find out what the actual budget will be this year compared to last year?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am

quakersfan wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 am
Didn’t catch the netcafe, did we find out what the actual budget will be this year compared to last year?
Nope that question wasn't asked last night, but there were some questions that haven't so far been answered & those answers will be posted today. So that might have been one of the delayed answers.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu May 28, 2020 7:55 am

quakersfan wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 am
Its still on the Home page.Have a read.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am

Spyman wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 pm
darlo2001uk wrote:
Old Git wrote:
You misremember then. Penney's team was excellent to watch, as you'd expect given most of them could play a level or two higher.

Kennedy, Burgmeier, Joachim, Abbott, Foran, Purdie, Austin, Foster - absolute class acts.

We did have some excellent players, I agree. Unfortunately Penney was unable to bring a group of players, 'most of them who could play a level or two higher', into a team that was good enough to go up. His tactics were shocking.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu May 28, 2020 9:05 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am
Spyman wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 pm
darlo2001uk wrote:
Old Git wrote:

We did have some excellent players, I agree. Unfortunately Penney was unable to bring a group of players, 'most of them who could play a level or two higher', into a team that was good enough to go up. His tactics were shocking.
I 100% agree with that

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 am

Interesting that on more than one occasion now (April DFR podcast and last night) AA has said that he'd started to sound out his targets in January, which obviously pre-dates the released lists of some clubs a couple of weeks ago. He also said that he hoped for one or two surprises.

So I'm just speculating here, but Maguire and Lambert, possibly Langstaff if he was bench warming at York.
Didn't someone say that Jameson was under contract at York, so that rules him out.
He also said he wanted a strong centre half. No clue about that.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll see Holness again, given that he was on non-contract anyway. AA said last night that he likes people tied down, as when they leave it can be disruptive, like with Tyrone. Lambert would be a more than suitable replacement for him. Tez? Maybe 50-50 at best. Someone also said Hebburn have a deal on the table for him too if he wants.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu May 28, 2020 10:03 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 am
Interesting that on more than one occasion now (April DFR podcast and last night) AA has said that he'd started to sound out his targets in January, which obviously pre-dates the released lists of some clubs a couple of weeks ago. He also said that he hoped for one or two surprises.

So I'm just speculating here, but Maguire and Lambert, possibly Langstaff if he was bench warming at York.
Didn't someone say that Jameson was under contract at York, so that rules him out.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll see Holness again, given that he was on non-contract anyway. AA said last night that he likes people tied down, as when they leave it can be disruptive, like with Tyrone. Lambert would be a more than suitable replacement for him. Tez? Maybe 50-50 at best. Someone also said Hebburn have a deal on the table for him too if he wants.
I wouldn’t rule Jameson out as one of the potential surprises.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu May 28, 2020 11:41 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:

Could not see him returning a lot of our so called fans slated the lad towards his last stint and confidence had gone, if I were him I would not come back and I wouldn't blame him

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 28, 2020 11:57 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:41 am
Darlo_CR wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:

Could not see him returning a lot of our so called fans slated the lad towards his last stint and confidence had gone, if I were him I would not come back and I wouldn't blame him

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I don't agree, time is a great healer & from the fans reception for him at York last season means he is very well thought of by the vast majority of Darlo fans.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 28, 2020 12:00 pm

This is an interesting one. Darlo CR has a decent track record of hunches/in the know statements.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu May 28, 2020 12:36 pm

From my understanding it’s down to a number of different factors at York.

1. The chairman is cutting costs due to a dispute with the supporters club.

2. Ryan Whitley is well thought of and was loaned out last season to Shields as he wasn’t ready so they might go with him next year as they don’t want to risk losing him due to lack of playing time.

3. The relationship he has with AA and the fans. As pointed out he got some stick towards the end of his last spell with us however the reaction he got last summer before he signed for York and in the games we played against them we’d certainly be in pole position to sign him.