Sports village

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

lo36789
Posts: 8656
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Sports village

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:56 am

Haha it would take some trawling as it was 4 years ago...I just seem to remember that debate being had...

I've found some discussion and it was just hear say rather than official statement actually so guess confirmed was too strong.
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 am

Can't remember it being confirmed - I remember suggestions it might have been the case but nothing definite. Wouldn't explain the increase in catering prices either as we never made any money off them.

lo36789
Posts: 8656
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Sports village

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 am

Yeh agree I guess it could have been either way. My preferred stance is that if there is question marks over this stuff then it was resolved by the next game so it can be shelved as a learning for whoever. Holding it as a permanent stain isn't productive.

al_quaker
Posts: 5623
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:18 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 am
Yeh agree I guess it could have been either way. My preferred stance is that if there is question marks over this stuff then it was resolved by the next game so it can be shelved as a learning for whoever. Holding it as a permanent stain isn't productive.
No it's not productive, but unfortunately first impressions do count. We never really experienced the huge upturn in crowds than other clubs who returned from exile did, and I'm pretty sure that's because first impressions of BM for a lot of people who turned up for that Halifax game would have been pretty poor.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4507
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:45 am

As a side issue, I reckon that when we eventually return to playing football again at Blackwell - bar and food takings will significantly drop.

A lot of our fanbase will be reluctant to use these facilities while a threat from the virus remains, so If this income stream is primarily directed towards the Rugby Club then this would appear to be their problem.

Or to put it another way (for Lo) we can't lose what we haven't got.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

lo36789
Posts: 8656
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Sports village

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:07 am

Agree tbh there will likely be more restrictions around that as well which even if people wanted to it would be difficult to have the same capacity.

It basically goes back to and it was interesting reading earlier posts our main income stream is gate receipts + retail + commercial (hospitality tickets + sponsorships). Not only are they the ones which we take the proceeds for but they are also the ones with the biggest margins.

£200 a game for wet sales is 20 people through the gate.

quaker4life
Posts: 2353
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Sports village

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:44 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:32 pm

If you were in the middle of watching a film and halfway through it some people about to watch a film next door want to watch the previews on your screen - the catch being that your film will continue to play in the background and you will miss that portion for the sake of someone else's previews.
Actually I've turned over to SSN a few times whilst watching a film :P
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

LoidLucan
Posts: 3304
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 am

Should know more about this issue next month. Mowden Park have called an extraordinary general meeting of members on 12th August at the Arena to give an update on the club and its future plans. Must be an anxious time for them. The Tees Valley Mayor has also gone awfully quiet on one of his pet projects after it was deemed to be too risky and overly ambitious.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2054
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Should know more about this issue next month. Mowden Park have called an extraordinary general meeting of members on 12th August at the Arena to give an update on the club and its future plans. Must be an anxious time for them. The Tees Valley Mayor has also gone awfully quiet on one of his pet projects after it was deemed to be too risky and overly ambitious.
Wonder if Raj is casting an eye on developments there, far more attractive proposition for him rather than putting a fortune into Poolies with nothing to show for it.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


H1987
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by H1987 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 am
Should know more about this issue next month. Mowden Park have called an extraordinary general meeting of members on 12th August at the Arena to give an update on the club and its future plans. Must be an anxious time for them. The Tees Valley Mayor has also gone awfully quiet on one of his pet projects after it was deemed to be too risky and overly ambitious.
They'll be stuffed. Covid has accelerated it, I'm sure, but this was always going to happen. That stadium is a millstone. It needs pulling down. I hope they survive and can maybe play on the other pitches, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does for them. The level of rugby they're at must require a stadium.

Old Git
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:57 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 am
Should know more about this issue next month. Mowden Park have called an extraordinary general meeting of members on 12th August at the Arena to give an update on the club and its future plans. Must be an anxious time for them. The Tees Valley Mayor has also gone awfully quiet on one of his pet projects after it was deemed to be too risky and overly ambitious.
They'll be stuffed. Covid has accelerated it, I'm sure, but this was always going to happen. That stadium is a millstone. It needs pulling down. I hope they survive and can maybe play on the other pitches, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does for them. The level of rugby they're at must require a stadium.
There is a tidy little rugby stadium just a couple of miles down the road at Blackwell that would suit them just fine.

quaker4life
Posts: 2353
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Sports village

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:36 pm

They can always move over the back.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Old Git
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:34 pm

There is possibly enough room to accommodate all 3 clubs at Blackwell but can you see them all agree to that!

jjljks
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports village

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:03 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 am
Should know more about this issue next month. Mowden Park have called an extraordinary general meeting of members on 12th August at the Arena to give an update on the club and its future plans. Must be an anxious time for them. The Tees Valley Mayor has also gone awfully quiet on one of his pet projects after it was deemed to be too risky and overly ambitious.
Tees Valley Mayor must have a bit of spare land at the airport that needs a 10,000 seater stadium with decent all-weather training facilities adjacent, possibly near the railway platform? OK it is a little way outside the town, but could be a face-saver and fits in with the other grandiose plans that have everything except funding. :o

Post Reply