Playoffs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Playoffs

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:19 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm
Interesting to see on Look North them showing a few fans in a pub watching the game, if we had been in there position all the pubs in town would have been rammed.
Pete obsession with other teams fans shock...

Not sure if you have missed it but there is a virus going round at the moment which means pubs can't be rammed and have to operate at a maximum capacity which enables distance between people.

I for one would have been absolutely no where near a rammed pub for the sake of a football match.

They are averaging 1300ish this season so not too different to us but from a more populous town. It's not unexpected and is just the way of it they are a team who has been invested in heavily by an owner and haven't had a long history of a football league side. Maybe in 40 years a comparison is fair if they stick it out in the EFL for that long?
Last edited by lo36789 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm
Interesting to see on Look North them showing a few fans in a pub watching the game, if we had been in there position all the pubs in town would have been rammed. Sadly Harrogate is not a football town & I think they'll struggle to get the support that there team deserves.
With TV money and the backing of Mr Weaver I am sure they will be fine. Crowds may not exceed 2000 if fans are allowed but look at Accrington. My feeling is Barrow may find it more difficult to survive.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 am

At League Two level, it is arguably more important to access to a decent player market than a huge fan base.

Harrogate can access players from across the North East and Yorkshire giving them plenty of options. As said above, Barrow will find that harder, but they will likely not be based in Barrow for day-to-day training to combat this (they were based from Salford for many years).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:31 am

Beano wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 am
As said above, Barrow will find that harder, but they will likely not be based in Barrow for day-to-day training to combat this (they were based from Salford for many years).
Rochdale nowadays

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 am

How many players will Harrogate retain from their present squad as they will definitely want to improve the team.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am

poppyfield wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 am
How many players will Harrogate retain from their present squad as they will definitely want to improve the team.
Depends what their ambition is. I suspect their current squad would be mid table, certainly comfortably safe, in League Two as they are.

As they have been full time anyway so there shouldn't be too many forced exits. Barrow seem to have lost some players back to semi-pro since being promoted.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:13 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am
poppyfield wrote:
Depends what their ambition is. I suspect their current squad would be mid table, certainly comfortably safe, in League Two as they are.

As they have been full time anyway so there shouldn't be too many forced exits. Barrow seem to have lost some players back to semi-pro since being promoted.
One went to stockport, a striker, but barrow were pro last season and stockport have just turned pro.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 pm

I really enjoyed yesterdays game, a good advert for non league football. As someone else said: crowds, history etc does not put a team in the football league these days. After the crap last season with notts im sure they were glad to even make the play offs and if they keep the same management im sure they can have a even better stab at it next year. So harrogate are bankrolled but the owner is a local business man and football fan and probably one of the better big backers. Teams seem to get by on similar crowds whilst badly ran teams with bigger crowds and history have now been non league for a few year
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:45 pm

poppyfield wrote:
They’re full time professionals. They will likely add a handful of players to the squad rather than overhaul as it isn’t necessary (Simon Weaver has said exactly this today).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:09 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:13 pm
lo36789 wrote:
poppyfield wrote:

One went to stockport, a striker, but barrow were pro last season and stockport have just turned pro.
Thought Stockport were hybrid? They might have gone fully pro now though and actually based on signing the Jennings brothers it unlikely they wouldnt be pro.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:09 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:13 pm
lo36789 wrote:
poppyfield wrote:

Thought Stockport were hybrid? They might have gone fully pro now though and actually based on signing the Jennings brothers it unlikely they wouldnt be pro.
Were in the non league paper the other day. I think they have turned pro again for the up comeing season as they have a new owner

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 am

With TV money and the backing of Mr Weaver I am sure they will be fine. Crowds may not exceed 2000 if fans are allowed but look at Accrington.
Harrogate are going to share with Donny Rovers, 45 miles away, until the plaggy pitch is replaced, so gates of 2000 might be a tad optimistic.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Alex Kempster has joined South Shields, good signing for them

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 pm
I really enjoyed yesterdays game, a good advert for non league football. As someone else said: crowds, history etc does not put a team in the football league these days. After the crap last season with notts im sure they were glad to even make the play offs and if they keep the same management im sure they can have a even better stab at it next year. So harrogate are bankrolled but the owner is a local business man and football fan and probably one of the better big backers. Teams seem to get by on similar crowds whilst badly ran teams with bigger crowds and history have now been non league for a few year
Not much hope for Gateshead then as they are a badly run club with poor crowds.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm
With Ferguson leaving too, you wonder if York are pruning their budget now. They wanted to keep Kempster and Ferguson but they've clearly got better offers elsewhere. I imagine Kempster is also another blow for Spendy, they previously had him on loan.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:41 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
With Ferguson leaving too, you wonder if York are pruning their budget now. They wanted to keep Kempster and Ferguson but they've clearly got better offers elsewhere. I imagine Kempster is also another blow for Spendy, they previously had him on loan.
Can't find anything about Ferguson leaving, Loid. Have I missed something?

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:49 pm

Ferguson was definitely one of York’s better players, if wants full time footy my guess would be Gateshead,

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm

biccynana wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:41 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Can't find anything about Ferguson leaving, Loid. Have I missed something?
Ah, just announced on YCFC's Twitter.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:23 am

biccynana wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:24 pm
Old Git wrote:

With TV money and the backing of Mr Weaver I am sure they will be fine. Crowds may not exceed 2000 if fans are allowed but look at Accrington.
Harrogate are going to share with Donny Rovers, 45 miles away, until the plaggy pitch is replaced, so gates of 2000 might be a tad optimistic.
According to Non-League Paper, Simon Weaver now calling for FA to rethink their position on plastic pitches. I wonder why?
Coincidentally, he is also English football's longest serving manager. I wonder why??
Bet he also sends the best Father's Day card

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:23 am
biccynana wrote:
Old Git wrote:

According to Non-League Paper, Simon Weaver now calling for FA to rethink their position on plastic pitches. I wonder why?
Coincidentally, he is also English football's longest serving manager. I wonder why??
He was manager of Harrogate before his dad bought the club. and his management of the team throughout his time there has been very good. They play good entertaining football and deserve to be where they are. It wasn't the "plaggy" pitch that turned them into the team they are..
He has taken them into the football league from nowhere. Regardless of who put the money in, give the man credit, he deserves it.
Best of luck to him and Harrogate I say.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:41 pm

My opinion wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 am
jjljks wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:23 am
biccynana wrote:
Old Git wrote:

He was manager of Harrogate before his dad bought the club. and his management of the team throughout his time there has been very good. They play good entertaining football and deserve to be where they are. It wasn't the "plaggy" pitch that turned them into the team they are..
He has taken them into the football league from nowhere. Regardless of who put the money in, give the man credit, he deserves it.
Best of luck to him and Harrogate I say.
Here here. There has been plenty of teams chucked alot of money on promotion from the national league and still not got it. Best of luck to harrogate and barrow hope they proove the football snobs wrong

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Badly run by who, you forgot the club got taken over? Also was never aware league tables were settled on average attendance

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 am

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:43 pm
Old Git wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Badly run by who, you forgot the club got taken over? Also was never aware league tables were settled on average attendance
Lucky for Head they are not decided that way. As for badly run let’s wait and see what happens. At least you will be able to accommodate your massive army of fans at your impressive running track. Unfortunately stadium size doesn’t decide league tables either.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 am
shildonlad wrote:
Old Git wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Lucky for Head they are not decided that way. As for badly run let’s wait and see what happens. At least you will be able to accommodate your massive army of fans at your impressive running track. Unfortunately stadium size doesn’t decide league tables either.
I suppose you will be jumping for joy if and when gateshead trouble again. Stadium sizes does help with league positions, remind me what darlington could not take part in the play offs again and how much they would need to spend on a stadium to get them to league 2

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:13 am

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 am
Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 am
shildonlad wrote:
Old Git wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
I suppose you will be jumping for joy if and when gateshead trouble again. Stadium sizes does help with league positions, remind me what darlington could not take part in the play offs again and how much they would need to spend on a stadium to get them to league 2
You're a very stroppy man aren't you. Get a grip of yourself, we all know Gateshead are not self-sustainable & we all know the ex chairman is back in the background pumping stupid amounts of money in.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:56 pm

What ex chairman? If you mean graeme wood he is just there as honary life president