Incoming goalkeeper

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Posts: 1992
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Incoming goalkeeper

Post by onewayup » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Hopefully a quality goalkeeper to be announced later in the week, been one on the radar for a while, we may get word of him signing backend of week.

AndyPark
Posts: 11619
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:08 pm

Haway then, give es a hint of who it is?

I've heard rumours of Sol Brynn signing a season long loan from Boro.
2020/2021 Season
WLLWWWWLWWL

Mister e
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Mister e » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:05 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:08 pm
Haway then, give es a hint of who it is?

I've heard rumours of Sol Brynn signing a season long loan from Boro.
I hope you're wrong on this one Andy because knowing Boro they'll probably recall him before one of our fa cup games.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:43 pm

That was just idiot Woody. A proper manager would have understand what is in the players best interests.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm

Quaker85 wrote:That was just idiot Woody. A proper manager would have understand what is in the players best interests.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh shut up you tedious bedwetter. I’m tired of reading this embittered nonsense.

Woodgate’s first responsibility is to his team. He had nine injuries and a shortage of strikers. In that situation, any manager would bring back loanees. We’ve done the same.

O’Neill was Middlesbrough’s player, they could do as they pleased. Time to let it go.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm
Quaker85 wrote:That was just idiot Woody. A proper manager would have understand what is in the players best interests.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh shut up you tedious bedwetter. I’m tired of reading this embittered nonsense.

Woodgate’s first responsibility is to his team. He had nine injuries and a shortage of strikers. In that situation, any manager would bring back loanees. We’ve done the same.

O’Neill was Middlesbrough’s player, they could do as they pleased. Time to let it go.
Fair point but just out of interest how many minutes did Tyrone actually get at Boro ?

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3148
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:That was just idiot Woody. A proper manager would have understand what is in the players best interests.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh shut up you tedious bedwetter. I’m tired of reading this embittered nonsense.

Woodgate’s first responsibility is to his team. He had nine injuries and a shortage of strikers. In that situation, any manager would bring back loanees. We’ve done the same.

O’Neill was Middlesbrough’s player, they could do as they pleased. Time to let it go.
Well said

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:46 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm
Quaker85 wrote:That was just idiot Woody. A proper manager would have understand what is in the players best interests.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh shut up you tedious bedwetter. I’m tired of reading this embittered nonsense.

Woodgate’s first responsibility is to his team. He had nine injuries and a shortage of strikers. In that situation, any manager would bring back loanees. We’ve done the same.

O’Neill was Middlesbrough’s player, they could do as they pleased. Time to let it go.
Fair point but just out of interest how many minutes did Tyrone actually get at Boro ?
How many minutes he got is irrelevant. He's Boro's player and they can do as they wish.
#Arenaherewecome

al_quaker
Posts: 5707
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 pm

I don't see anything wrong with what Woodgate did either. Yes it negatively affected us, but that's the risk with loan players. He is their player and they needed him for the bench. I'd be disapointed if we didn't do the same in the same situation. Yes O'Neill would have developed with us playing competitive games, but he also would have developed by being in and around the first team squad at Boro.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm
Quaker85 wrote:That was just idiot Woody. A proper manager would have understand what is in the players best interests.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh shut up you tedious bedwetter. I’m tired of reading this embittered nonsense.

Woodgate’s first responsibility is to his team. He had nine injuries and a shortage of strikers. In that situation, any manager would bring back loanees. We’ve done the same.

O’Neill was Middlesbrough’s player, they could do as they pleased. Time to let it go.
Fair point but just out of interest how many minutes did Tyrone actually get at Boro ?
Doesn’t matter. That’s not the point being discussed. The idea Woodgate should put O’Neill’s development ahead of the needs of his squad is incorrect and no manager should ever entertain it.

Put it this way, if we had an injury crisis, and had an in-form young player at Marske, South Shields, Dunston or somewhere in the Northern League, we would recall him. This moaning about the recall is therefore hypocritical nonsense.

It also happened about nine months ago, so I don’t really see why the complaining continues, particularly when Boro were entirely justified in their decision.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:14 pm

You’re operating from the false assumption that Woodgate was a competent manager who knew what he was doing. He clearly didn’t and was out of his depth and Gibbo acted before it was too late. Boro would be in league one now if he hadn’t. Several of my mates are Boro season ticket holders and feel the same way about Boro and Tyrone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:25 pm

Of course any club has the right to recall a loanee but surely only if they want to use them. In this case they did not so the decision was poor not only for us but for the player himself. He missed out on the chance to play in the most important game of his career and test himself against full time opponents. Surely that was also against Boro’s interest as they missed the chance of assessing his progress.
I fully admit to a dislike of Boro going back to the infamous cup tie against them in the mid 80s. The behaviour of their fans was disgraceful. So when it comes to bearing a grudge for me its not a matter of months but decades. Come on Gramps what do you make of that?

Emdubya
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Emdubya » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:46 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:25 pm
Of course any club has the right to recall a loanee but surely only if they want to use them. In this case they did not so the decision was poor not only for us but for the player himself. He missed out on the chance to play in the most important game of his career and test himself against full time opponents. Surely that was also against Boro’s interest as they missed the chance of assessing his progress.
I fully admit to a dislike of Boro going back to the infamous cup tie against them in the mid 80s. The behaviour of their fans was disgraceful. So when it comes to bearing a grudge for me its not a matter of months but decades. Come on Gramps what do you make of that?
And of course our fans over the years have always been angels haven’t they.Were you at Fylde a couple of years ago,or Scarborough?.Models of restraint weren’t they.
Boro were fully entitled to recall their player and it doesn’t matter a toss that he didn’t play.Woody thought he might need him,end of story.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01 pm

Quaker85 wrote:You’re operating from the false assumption that Woodgate was a competent manager who knew what he was doing. He clearly didn’t and was out of his depth and Gibbo acted before it was too late. Boro would be in league one now if he hadn’t. Several of my mates are Boro season ticket holders and feel the same way about Boro and Tyrone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve not commented on Woodgate’s competence.

I’m commenting on whether it was right for him to have recalled O’Neill. And he had every right to do so.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11 pm

Old Git wrote:Of course any club has the right to recall a loanee but surely only if they want to use them. In this case they did not so the decision was poor not only for us but for the player himself. He missed out on the chance to play in the most important game of his career and test himself against full time opponents. Surely that was also against Boro’s interest as they missed the chance of assessing his progress.
I fully admit to a dislike of Boro going back to the infamous cup tie against them in the mid 80s. The behaviour of their fans was disgraceful. So when it comes to bearing a grudge for me its not a matter of months but decades. Come on Gramps what do you make of that?
O’Neill did play for Boro- they used him against Leeds in November.

You’re either ignorant or deliberately obtuse if you you claim not to know why he was recalled. He was recalled as cover. If Boro had a further striker injury, he would have played. That is the nature of cover.

And if Boro hadn’t recalled him, and then had another striker injured, they’d have been left with no forward options.

If your argument is people should only be in the squad if they’re guaranteed to play, presumably you think we should do away with substitutes, and have squads of 11.

Your argument is silly and doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. And you’ve admitted to being biased, which undermines your credibility further.

There’s also a hilarious flaw in your “he missed out on playing the most important game of his career” argument. If a game away to a struggling League Two side was the most important game of his career (which I’d dispute anyway), by logic, playing in the Championship (as he ultimately did), would have been bigger and more important.

So in theory, it’s actually you wanting to deny him the chance to play in the biggest game of his career.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 pm

agree with Gramps on the subject. Unfortunately it's a topic that gets repeated over and over again.

I tend to base an opinion if the shoe was on the other foot. If we were in boro's position, then I see no reason why he should stay on loan.

The only thing I perhaps don't fully understand is why he wasn't loaned back out (if not to us, then to someone else). They had their first team strikers back with a couple out on loan ahead of Tyrone

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:You’re operating from the false assumption that Woodgate was a competent manager who knew what he was doing. He clearly didn’t and was out of his depth and Gibbo acted before it was too late. Boro would be in league one now if he hadn’t. Several of my mates are Boro season ticket holders and feel the same way about Boro and Tyrone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve not commented on Woodgate’s competence.

I’m commenting on whether it was right for him to have recalled O’Neill. And he had every right to do so.
Whereas I haven’t commented on the Tyrone issue. I agree it’s old news and there’s nothing to be gained going over it all again. My gripe is with Woodgate as a championship manager and the terrible job he did almost taking Boro down to league one. Things improved immediately as soon as Warnock came in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789
Posts: 8945
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:18 pm
Whereas I haven’t commented on the Tyrone issue
That isn't entirely true is it...
Quaker85 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:43 pm
That was just idiot Woody. A proper manager would have understand what is in the players best interests.

Old Git
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11 pm
Old Git wrote:Of course any club has the right to recall a loanee but surely only if they want to use them. In this case they did not so the decision was poor not only for us but for the player himself. He missed out on the chance to play in the most important game of his career and test himself against full time opponents. Surely that was also against Boro’s interest as they missed the chance of assessing his progress.
I fully admit to a dislike of Boro going back to the infamous cup tie against them in the mid 80s. The behaviour of their fans was disgraceful. So when it comes to bearing a grudge for me its not a matter of months but decades. Come on Gramps what do you make of that?
O’Neill did play for Boro- they used him against Leeds in November.

You’re either ignorant or deliberately obtuse if you you claim not to know why he was recalled. He was recalled as cover. If Boro had a further striker injury, he would have played. That is the nature of cover.

And if Boro hadn’t recalled him, and then had another striker injured, they’d have been left with no forward options.

If your argument is people should only be in the squad if they’re guaranteed to play, presumably you think we should do away with substitutes, and have squads of 11.

Your argument is silly and doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. And you’ve admitted to being biased, which undermines your credibility further.

There’s also a hilarious flaw in your “he missed out on playing the most important game of his career” argument. If a game away to a struggling League Two side was the most important game of his career (which I’d dispute anyway), by logic, playing in the Championship (as he ultimately did), would have been bigger and more important.

So in theory, it’s actually you wanting to deny him the chance to play in the biggest game of his career.
How many minutes was he actually on the field for in the biggest game of his life? Woodgate was a terrible manager and would have got Boro relegated if Gibson had not woken up to this and realised he had to change things. I still believe it was a very poor decision to recall him when he did but it was his call.
Would love to see Tyrone get into the first team and do well for Boro in the future.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:45 pm

And this.....
Quaker85 wrote: Several of my mates are Boro season ticket holders and feel the same way about Boro and Tyrone.
So apart from the two occasions he’s mentioned Tyrone O’Neill, he’s not mentioned Tyrone O’Neill.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm

Old Git wrote: How many minutes was he actually on the field for in the biggest game of his life?
Not relevant, for reasons already explained in this thread. And I notice you’ve dodged the other points I put to you.
Old Git wrote: I still believe it was a very poor decision to recall him when he did but it was his call.
And you’re wrong. They had cover in case of injury, which was the entire purpose. Therefore it was actually a the correct call on Woodgate’s part.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm
Old Git wrote: How many minutes was he actually on the field for in the biggest game of his life?
Not relevant, for reasons already explained in this thread. And I notice you’ve dodged the other points I put to you.
Old Git wrote: I still believe it was a very poor decision to recall him when he did but it was his call.
And you’re wrong. They had cover in case of injury, which was the entire purpose. Therefore it was actually a the correct call on Woodgate’s part.
Oh sorry you accuse me of thinking no substitutes should be allowed. Even by your dubious logic this is a complete joke.

mysteral
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by mysteral » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm

So getting back on topic.

Sol Brynn the most likely to be the goalkeeper for next season?

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm
Old Git wrote: How many minutes was he actually on the field for in the biggest game of his life?
Not relevant, for reasons already explained in this thread. And I notice you’ve dodged the other points I put to you.
Old Git wrote: I still believe it was a very poor decision to recall him when he did but it was his call.
And you’re wrong. They had cover in case of injury, which was the entire purpose. Therefore it was actually a the correct call on Woodgate’s part.
Oh sorry you accuse me of thinking no substitutes should be allowed. Even by your dubious logic this is a complete joke.
I’m just reciting your own words back to you. You did say he shouldn’t have been recalled if he was only going to be cover in case of injury. But that is one of the purposes of substitutes, is it not?

I have no issue with Woodgate doing what he thought was best with his players. You do, but haven’t really justified why. The only reasoning you’ve given is that Middlesbrough’s fans misbehaved 35 years ago, and that playing Walsall away should’ve been the highlight of O’Neill’s career.

Forgive me if I don’t find either of those arguments particularly persuading.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:32 pm

mysteral wrote:So getting back on topic.

Sol Brynn the most likely to be the goalkeeper for next season?
He’s a name that’s been doing the rounds, certainly.

Although Armstrong did go with a permanent keeper in Elliott last year, he did get burned a little bit and it was an area we didn’t nail down last season.

So unless there’s an affordable permanent alternative, it wouldn’t be a huge surprise to go with a young keeper from somewhere like Boro, where Armstrong will have contacts.

Brynn would fit the bill if that was the case.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6284
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by loan_star » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:41 pm

If O'Neill hadn't been recalled a few days before our biggest game for years then people probably would have just wished him luck and got over it.
As has been said it was Woodgates right to recall O'Neill and we have no reason to complain. It was the timing that sucked and thats all.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 pm

mysteral wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm
So getting back on topic.

Sol Brynn the most likely to be the goalkeeper for next season?
Seems to be highly rated at Boro by all accounts.

We’ve had success recruiting this way before with Woolston, Pears, Turner & Hemming. Gateshead also had some success with Brad James this season from Boro. No reason why this pattern can’t continue as it does seem like a good option for us.

Just under 10 weeks until the season starts & presumably around 4-5 weeks until pre-season begins. No immediate rush for us but no doubt Alun will want a goalkeeper in for the start of pre-season.

onewayup
Posts: 1992
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by onewayup » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:58 am

Is it ,I still think that the VIRUS could scupper the season
With what is going on around the world, cities being lockdown one after the Other. I really hope that it's keep at bay and we can get on with the near normal as possible life we used to have.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 pm

All we can do is look ahead and plan for that start date.

It might happen, it might not, but we have to work towards that and look forward to it happening.

Old Git
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Incoming goalkeeper

Post by Old Git » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:39 pm
All we can do is look ahead and plan for that start date.

It might happen, it might not, but we have to work towards that and look forward to it happening.
Agreed there must be a doubt over the start date but we have to work towards it. A case of plan for the best but be prepared for the worst. Same for everyone that’s just how it is these days.

Post Reply