Maguire & Langstaff Released

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Maguire & Langstaff Released

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Some of the idiots in chief at the Spendy end are finding it hard to stomach that Maguire has rejected the vibes so are just inventing inflated figures about the signing even when their ignorance of the facts and stupidity has been exposed by people who know the score. Some seem to be a greener shade of green than our away shirt :mrgreen:

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Hopefully people just ignore them and they get bored.

Whatever we are paying Maguire it will be within our budget, clubs in safe hands financially these days.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:51 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:21 pm
The positions covered now are as far as I can see:

GK - to come

RB

Atkinson
Hedley
Hunt (if needed)

LB

Liddle
Watson

CB

Hunt
Storey
Laing
Reid (if needed)
Watson (if needed)
Atkinson (if needed)

CM

Hatfield
Wheatley
Hedley
Reid

Attacking Mids

Donawa
Rivers
Campbell
Holmes
Reid

Strikers

Campbell
Maguire
Charman
Thanks for that, really handy, I lose track at this time of the season. :?

Donawa could also move into the forward category. I think hes got a great future.

Hoping Holness stays.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:02 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:33 pm
Some of the idiots in chief at the Spendy end are finding it hard to stomach that Maguire has rejected the vibes so are just inventing inflated figures about the signing even when their ignorance of the facts and stupidity has been exposed by people who know the score. Some seem to be a greener shade of green than our away shirt :mrgreen:
Been a tumultuous week for Spennymoor Town fans. First the Newcastle takeover fell through, now some have been rattled by us signing a player.

Darlogramps

Maguire & Langstaff Released

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm

al_quaker wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Been a tumultuous week for Spennymoor Town fans. First the Newcastle takeover fell through, now some have been rattled by us signing a player.
The best ones are those who insist they’re not obsessed with us, before tweeting incessantly about it with made-up figures and screengrabs of this forum, which they lurk on.

Yes Stevie Guy, I’m talking about you. *waves*

The Spendy lot are properly rattled off the back of this Maguire signing.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
The best ones are those who insist they’re not obsessed with us, before tweeting incessantly about it with made-up figures and screengrabs of this forum, which they lurk on.

They probably fail to understand why a player has turned down the £££££'s and moved to us purely for footballing reasons which is unheard of these days. Total respect for Dan Maguire.Wonder if the Adam Boyes fiasco swayed him

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm
al_quaker wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

They are an odd bunch. And he might be the oddest of the lot.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:01 pm

Boo hoo.
It appears some Spendy fans are a tad upset Darlo have signed Dan McGuire.

It is so sad that they feel obliged to make up random numbers to pacify their jealousy.
They do not understand that it is not always about money.

Well done Alun Armstrong another great addition to good looking squad.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:49 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:

They probably fail to understand why a player has turned down the £££££'s and moved to us purely for footballing reasons which is unheard of these days. Total respect for Dan Maguire.Wonder if the Adam Boyes fiasco swayed him

Ron, you would have thought that they'd be grateful that they've been on this journey which has clearly been financed by Brad and humble about the whole experience. On the contrary, It's turned them into paranoid deniers. Having said that, It's a small town in central Durham, and having visited quite a few places over the years, I can think of nowhere more insular, inbred and parochial than some of these small Durham towns with their 'Salt of the earth , friendly North East is the centre of the Universe' attitude.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:51 am

Spendy fans must be worried that Brad Groves may turn his attention to taking over Newcastle United now that Saudis have dropped out & Ashley is desperate to unload.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 am

jjljks wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:51 am
Spendy fans must be worried that Brad Groves may turn his attention to taking over Newcastle United now that Saudis have dropped out & Ashley is desperate to unload.
Yeh and he can take some old Spenny shirts with him to use for training. It will be home from home with the black and white stripes. Come to think of it he has probably invested more in Spenny than Ashley has in Newcastle.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

jjljks wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 am
jjljks wrote:
Yeh and he can take some old Spenny shirts with him to use for training. It will be home from home with the black and white stripes. Come to think of it he has probably invested more in Spenny than Ashley has in Newcastle.
Spot on there!🤣

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 am

I take the twitter rumour accounts with a pinch of salt, but @non_league_guy (who, to be fair, got Hunt and Maguire correct) has linked us with another York player - Kieran Green. Looked decent the times Ive seen him.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:45 am

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 am
I take the twitter rumour accounts with a pinch of salt, but @non_league_guy (who, to be fair, got Hunt and Maguire correct) has linked us with another York player - Kieran Green. Looked decent the times Ive seen him.
He was one of our top targets last summer but missed out on him due to him wanting to go full time. He’s a top player!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:46 am

And played for Blyth and is from Stockton. Ticks the AA boxes.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:50 am

We will have to add some green to our kit to make all the ex-Blyth players feel at home :lol:

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:13 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:50 am
We will have to add some green to our kit to make all the ex-Blyth players feel at home :lol:
Well the away shirt ticks that box👍

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:25 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:And played for Blyth and is from Stockton. Ticks the AA boxes.
Highly rated by York fans, sounds like another very good signing if true.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm

I was reading some of the York Press responses to one of their articles on players leaving York, and there seemed to be some consensus that they were cool on losing Kempster, less happy, but not surprised, to lose Ferguson, but happy that they would be able to build a new team around Green.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:24 pm

Kieran Green would be a ridiculously good signing for us. One of the only few York actually want to keep & their fans rate highly.

Only 23 so I would presume there would have to be some compensation involved for anyone looking to sign him.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 am

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/18632 ... e-options/

If he's the central midfielder we're after then that's probably confirmation that Holness won't be returning. Hatfield, Wheatley, Green and Reid with Atkinson and Hedley both experienced in midfield as well would again give loads of options.

"People whispering in his ear" as Watson puts it would suggest it's people he knows already who are trying to tempt him. Plenty of them at Darlo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:39 am

Would be a bigger coup than Maguire if we landed Green. I expect him to make the step up to NL level at least if he leaves York

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 am

I find it hard to believe we are a serious option for him. He's a young player with an offer of full time football at York (and rumours of Halifax too), one year after turning pro. I'm sure Alun can be very persuasive when he wants to be, and we can of course offer decent cash, but full time is something we can't offer to a young player. I would absolutely take it if he came, as we'd have a very good selection of central midfielders to choose from, but I can't see it.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:06 am

Green is a superb player and I don't think we will be his destination as he will have loads of options.

Although this may well be the reason why sorting an attacking midfielder out is taking so long, if we're trying to tempt in him. We're probably also talking to Lambert as well - think he might be more realistic.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:48 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Green is a superb player and I don't think we will be his destination as he will have loads of options.

Although this may well be the reason why sorting an attacking midfielder out is taking so long, if we're trying to tempt in him. We're probably also talking to Lambert as well - think he might be more realistic.
Looks like Green has offers from York, Halifax and us and cannot seem to make up his mind.Ours must have been a pretty attractive one to make him undecided to sign back on for York .Some signing if this comes off and would imagine Omar will be off the radar now

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Put it this way - get Green and a good goalkeeper in and we have to be considering a run for promotion. That's a seriously good squad with strength in depth and quality in pretty much every area.

So I guess you are dangling the carrot of being part of a team that has a chance of going up and maybe considers full-time, or a hybrid, as an option for someone like Green.

What does he do outside of football? Presume he's full-time at York so unless he's got an obvious alternative career to supplement his income it would seem a strange time to regress to part-time. Might as well have a crack at full-time as long as you can and then consider something else in 5+ years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:32 pm

Must be a bit of a puzzler for Watson at York, released 13 players, loan players returned to there clubs, offered 4 first team players new contracts and only one has signed to date and 2 left, also head physio leaves and goes to Pools. Therefore other than young players think he has Jameson in goal and newton in midfield, so big team building to do in what is only a month left given that I assume they will want at least a months training with virtually a complete new team. Pleased we are in the position we are with players and really looking forward to seeing Darlo play again.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:48 pm

AA brought Green to Blyth originally on loan, and then signed him permanently the summer before last. To be fair he gave him his first proper crack of the whip in the men’s game. There may be some loyalty playing a part in Green’s decision.

That, coupled with the fact that we can offer a very good part-time wage, can guarantee first-team football and are the most local out of his supposed options, will also be helping. It’s also clear that AA has been “whispering” in his ear for a while, and Green will know eight of our players already. Potentially, if we go up, we may go to a hybrid model too.

He would be a brilliant signing; arguably the biggest coup of the summer. I’m not holding my breath, but he’s probably the attacking midfielder AA is alluding too. With the upheaval at York, you never know.