Ground share

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bigdavethemaddog

Re: Ground share

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:30 am
At one point DJ mentioned capacities between 17% and 33% which I assume means 17% (550) with 2m social distancing and 33% if it’s 1m. If so, government advice is that where 2m is not possible then 1m with mitigation i.e. face masks, not standing face to face, is acceptable. So could we make face coverings compulsory and get 33% capacity in (1100ish). Still not ideal but better and surely worth a try.

i certainly wont be attending any game if i have to wear a face mask.

quaker4life
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm
Apparently the arena is to be demolished to make way for housing and will replaced with a 7,000 capacity stadium for DMP.

Obviously I have no idea how genuine this is but it will be interesting to see what comes out of their EGM.
I thought I heard that the land immediately opposite the Arena (owned by the Council) other side of Neasham Road was going to have houses built on it?
All speculation I guess, but DMP do lease the (6 is it?) rugby pitches behind the main Stadium so you could build a smaller one there.
I have no idea, I've heard various things regarding the ownership of the Arena from the council owning the whole thing to Mowden owning the Arena but the council owning the car park and pitches at the back and everything in between.

I believe the land opposite had also been earmarked as a potential site for a new Cattle Market, theoretically you could sell the entire thing and build a new stadium there!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Should the arena be given the go ahead I see no reason why you would need to wear a mask while in the stadium, yes as you enter through the turnstiles and are in close proximity of others ,but after that I think it's your choice. As there's enough seats /room for distancing.

aveda

Post by aveda » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:50 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm
quaker4life wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm
Apparently the arena is to be demolished to make way for housing and will replaced with a 7,000 capacity stadium for DMP.

Obviously I have no idea how genuine this is but it will be interesting to see what comes out of their EGM.
I thought I heard that the land immediately opposite the Arena (owned by the Council) other side of Neasham Road was going to have houses built on it?
All speculation I guess, but DMP do lease the (6 is it?) rugby pitches behind the main Stadium so you could build a smaller one there.
I have no idea, I've heard various things regarding the ownership of the Arena from the council owning the whole thing to Mowden owning the Arena but the council owning the car park and pitches at the back and everything in between.

I believe the land opposite had also been earmarked as a potential site for a new Cattle Market, theoretically you could sell the entire thing and build a new stadium there!
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... -concerns/

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:52 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:43 pm
jjljks wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am
eek wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:42 am
jjljks wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 am
Be very interesting to see what comes out of DMP RUFC's extraordinary general meeting to discuss options after the council pulled out of the £20M Sports Village plans. Some members are suspicious that an anonymous benefactor who had effectively taken over the club’s liabilities from the council could make a move to take control of the club at the meeting.
Isn't that meeting tonight?
Yes, it is (Wed) & for DMP members only.
The benefactor is not anonymous. His investment so far has been pretty substantial.
Echo claimed benefactor was anonymous, so can anyone enlighten them - after all they are losing reporters so could be excused for not knowing.
The new Cattle Market is out of town past Burtree Gate. Council did give permission for houses just off Neasham Rd but I didn't think this meant on the site of the Arena.
Bet not many teams have lost their ground twice to housebuilders!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:05 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Bet not many teams have lost their ground twice to housebuilders!
There's only one club who I've known lose their ground twice to developers and that is Northwich Victoria their old Drill Field ground was sold for housing to fund the construction of their new stadium which was then taken over by a chemical company and subsequently demolished to make way for a new industrial building!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:28 pm

I’m not going to any games at the arena. It would be nice for the fans to be consulted on this before it comes out in this manner. We’re supposed to be a fan owned club. I have real trust issues regarding just how temporary this move would be.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Nothing is decided options are just being explored. I'm not sure the fans need to be consulted if the question is play at the Arena and survive, play at BM and go insolvent.

As a company director DJ has a legal obligation to play at the Arena in those circumstances with or without fans backing.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:28 pm
I’m not going to any games at the arena. It would be nice for the fans to be consulted on this before it comes out in this manner. We’re supposed to be a fan owned club. I have real trust issues regarding just how temporary this move would be.
Oh hear we go we are a fan owned so I need to be consulted on every decision because I am a fan and have helped fund the club. Grow up we put our trust in David Johnston and the DFCSG board and they do an excellent job on our behalf. DJ has made this suggestion in full knowledge of all the implications for the club and I for one will follow his recommendations. If you of course think you know better then that is your prerogative but excuse me if I don’t agree with you.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Wow, those people who don’t want to go to the Arena, it’s a simple choice of either playing there or effectively get zero income if playing at BM. Genuinely to those people, what is your master plan for the how the club survives if only 500-700 people (the majority if not all would be season ticket holders) were allowed into BM?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 pm

The Arena is in the vicinity!
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 pm
Nothing is decided options are just being explored. I'm not sure the fans need to be consulted if the question is play at the Arena and survive, play at BM and go insolvent.

As a company director DJ has a legal obligation to play at the Arena in those circumstances with or without fans backing.
Yes nothing is set in stone yet however I do question whether he is legally obliged? If it was a matter of law then many other club's would have to follow suit surely?!

The club could become insolvent at either venue (it had previously done so 3 times at the Arena!) so again I have to question whether or not playing there is a matter life or death?

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:05 pm

What an amazing attitude some fans have, saying that they will not support our team if we play at the arena.Yes you may prefer somewhere else but a loyal fan will support them anywhere.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:14 pm

H1987 wrote:I’m not going to any games at the arena. It would be nice for the fans to be consulted on this before it comes out in this manner. We’re supposed to be a fan owned club. I have real trust issues regarding just how temporary this move would be.
Stop being so petty and get supporting the club.Pathetic attitude....go and support Spenny if this is all you can find to moan about

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Tester poll going on Twitter, showing 82 percent in favour of playing at the Arena , if needs must, 274 votes cast so far

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:26 pm

If your a Darlington FC supporter it should not matter where you have to/need to play ,you would follow the team because that's who you are Darlington FC through and through. If you're an I might I might not then you don't have Darlington FC at heart. People put alot of effort in getting their club to the level it's at now playing competitive football. Which was almost gone in 2011/2012 , Darlington need a football club in the town
Support it or lose it.
DJ and the board are doing an excellent job back them they will do what is best for Darlington FC.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 pm
H1987 wrote:
Oh hear we go we are a fan owned so I need to be consulted on every decision because I am a fan and have helped fund the club. Grow up we put our trust in David Johnston and the DFCSG board and they do an excellent job on our behalf. DJ has made this suggestion in full knowledge of all the implications for the club and I for one will follow his recommendations. If you of course think you know better then that is your prerogative but excuse me if I don’t agree with you.
If you don’t agree, do yourself a favour and don’t put words in my mouth. I didn’t say we needed to be consulted on every decision. I said we should be consulted on where the club plays, which is clearly an important matter. Do us all a favour and engage your brain next time, rather than letting your active imagination take over :thumbup: :wave:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:39 pm

ex-exile wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:05 pm
What an amazing attitude some fans have, saying that they will not support our team if we play at the arena.Yes you may prefer somewhere else but a loyal fan will support them anywhere.
Not attending matches at the arena does not equal not supporting the club. I’d attend away days. I’ll always be a fan, I’m not going to watch us at the arena, and I don’t need your approval, thanks.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:41 pm

We’ll do what’s best for our football club and it’s survival.

That’s it. You don’t want to go to the Arena, that’s your choice, I’d like to thing the majority of us would just do what we have to do to ensure we have a decent income and ride this appalling and unprecedented situation out.

600 ppl in Blackwell will generate us literally zero income because we have more season ticket holders than that. In fact it would potentially cost us money once we’ve paid the rugby club.

The idea of playing at the Arena and wearing a god awful mask fills me with dread, but if it’s what I’ve got to do short term for the good of our club then I’ll be doing it.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:47 pm

P.S. we don’t make any money from away games, unless they’re cup games. Money pays wages, bills and maintains our existence. x

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:53 pm

H1987 wrote:
very interesting point although i can only see DJ doing what he thinks is in the CLUBS best interests

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Gow9900 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:41 pm
We’ll do what’s best for our football club and it’s survival.

That’s it. You don’t want to go to the Arena, that’s your choice, I’d like to thing the majority of us would just do what we have to do to ensure we have a decent income and ride this appalling and unprecedented situation out.

600 ppl in Blackwell will generate us literally zero income because we have more season ticket holders than that. In fact it would potentially cost us money once we’ve paid the rugby club.

The idea of playing at the Arena and wearing a god awful mask fills me with dread, but if it’s what I’ve got to do short term for the good of our club then I’ll be doing it.
That’s up to you. I’ve no interest in engaging in shouting matches with other fans or abusing those who are going but I’m not hiding my opinion on the matter. I don’t trust the intentions and I don’t believe any move would end up being temporary. I think as a fan owned club we should be consulted and I think the finances should be laid bare (within reason, I understand we can’t and shouldn’t see minutiae, but an overview is reasonable). There is clearly a gamble involved in increasing crowds to be able to pay rent at two stadiums, so I am entirely unconvinced this is financially viable either.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 pm
H1987 wrote:
A bit more personal than you normally get there young man. A simple, "we will probably get that info before we start" would have been enough.
While I would be 100% in favour of a temporary move as there is no way I can go to BM in the near future due to my lung being damaged, it is understandable after all the previous rumours about a return to the arena that some will have reservations

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:08 pm

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:10 pm

‘indeed we would expect higher crowds than 1500 given that we haven’t played since March‘

From https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quakers ... ty-grounds

Sorry. I don’t support this. That is playing with the clubs future.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:13 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:10 pm
‘indeed we would expect higher crowds than 1500 given that we haven’t played since March‘

staying at BM is playing with the clubs future though too. Trying to survive on 550, when they've all already paid? I struggle to see that working out well

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:18 pm

H1987 wrote:

might attract a few football starved Boro and Sunderland fans who cant get in to their grounds too

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:22 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:18 pm
H1987 wrote:

might attract a few football starved Boro and Sunderland fans who cant get in to their grounds too
Every single neutral I attended the arena with was utterly scathing about how ridiculous it was. I had a spare ticket on several occasions I couldn’t give away. I do not believe this is the answer.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:27 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:22 pm
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:18 pm
H1987 wrote:

Every single neutral I attended the arena with was utterly scathing about how ridiculous it was. I had a spare ticket on several occasions I couldn’t give away. I do not believe this is the answer.
On the flip side, I know a few people who have tried BM but won't go back because of the (lack of) views available. And some of them were regulars at the Arena. That doesn't necessarily mean we will gain attendees by moving to the Arena, but there's anecdotally people who prefer it over BM.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 pm

I think we would have to do what's necessary to get through these difficult times, including a switch on a TEMPORARY basis if required. I don't fear it would signal some kind of move to make it permanent and see it as a stop-gap to deal with an emergency. Some other issues would need to be looked at such as the state of the pitch for football rather than just rugby because it looked pretty rough on some of the highlights I've seen. I'd also like to know Darlington Rugby Club's view and the financial implications.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:36 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 pm
I'd also like to know Darlington Rugby Club's view and the financial implications.
Tbf the rugby club have already said we only have a license to play. Which we just happen to not be taking them up on - so we will still pay for the license but we just won't play there.
H1987 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 pm
I think as a fan owned club we should be consulted and I think the finances should be laid bare (within reason, I understand we can’t and shouldn’t see minutiae, but an overview is reasonable)
I think they have been laid pretty bare. If we play at Blackwell Meadows we have to hand back money in refunds to 100 season ticket holders - how we choose them who knows - and we have zero gate receipts coming in.