Latest friendly

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TKOA
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Latest friendly

Post by TKOA » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Seadog365 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 pm
Even better now we’re winning 3-2 😀
Seriously though, I would have thought you’d have brought a few more. Did you not sell all your allocation?
You could only buy tickets in Darlington, not ideal for us who don’t live in the area but I understand why. I imagine we’d have taken a few more if you could pay on the gate. I’m only guessing here but I reckon some of our older supporters who would normally make the trip might not want to take the risk at the moment.

The stream worked really well for me and the commentary was quite good, they win the record for the number of pronunciation attempts of Justin Donawa 😂

There seem to be a few bed wetters on the clubs Facebook page, we started brightly and Scarborough are at the end of their pre season preparation while we still have a few weeks left. McMahon had a good game despite not playing at all last season. There are a few people worrying about the defending but by the time our squad are ready I can’t see us having any problems with a fully fit McMahon and Hunt at the back.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:08 pm

Yes, I came from the Midlands and my dad who lives in Darlington had to buy tickets and post them next day delivery, so that was an issue.
Scarborough were sharper, you could tell that, and they were well up for it, whereas we took it for what it was, a training game.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:20 pm

Seadog365 wrote:
Even better now we’re winning 3-2 😀
Seriously though, I would have thought you’d have brought a few more. Did you not sell all your allocation?
Although admittedly I had no intention of going maybe the 1o clock kick off also had an impact on a few people attending i.e people who work night shift.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Mister e wrote:
Seadog365 wrote:
Even better now we’re winning 3-2 Image
Although admittedly I had no intention of going maybe the 1o clock kick off also had an impact on a few people attending i.e people who work night shift.
What over a hundred of them..Don't be daft people just could be arsed it's a friendly having to queue to buy a ticket and not pay on the day that's the problem...No bodies fault it's the way at the moment people are very wary..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:28 am

Thought we were cruising at 2-0 then we dropped off and gave away stupid goals. Not massively worried but my only concern is we haven’t had arguably our strongest back 4 play together. Storey or Laing haven’t played at all yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:27 am

I had a rough count on Sat, between 130 and 150 I would say attended from Darlo. Nice sunny day, all be it a touch windy on a 3G pitch, and environment felt safe.

Looked like we were cruising first 30mins, playing good football. Old defensive errors with the old England song coming to mind - "We are going to score one more than you" needing to be our mantra for the next season :D . Lost our way after there first goal and created nothing, but changed later in the game with the substitutions and we created a few chances and played with more fluidity and should have scored. The young academy player who came on at centre half looked a good prospect for the future, very confident in possession.

Overall enjoyed the day out, nice to see a few faces again and watch a game of Darlo footy. Listened to a few of the players on the side-lines and they are looking forward to playing at the Arena.

Given we have not played yet with a settled back four, (cant be easy for the new keeper), defensively we should look much better in the next few games (if we have any lined up?).

Hoping we have another friendly game we are able to attend before season starts.

"Up the Quakers"

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:16 pm

No match today?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 pm

Don’t know but aren’t we supposed to hold two test events at the Arena before the season starts. If so they will need to happen soon.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 pm
Don’t know but aren’t we supposed to hold two test events at the Arena before the season starts. If so they will need to happen soon.
Only approved pilots can take place even if we were playing today we couldn't have fans.

EFL had 10 teams allowed but only 6 ended up participating because the demands were too much in terms of what needed signing off.

The league can't exactly mandate we do something that the government won't let us do.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:44 pm

We will have to have 1 game at the arena before the start of the season

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:55 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Not going to happen.The pitch is probably a month away from being ready.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Emdubya wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Not going to happen.The pitch is probably a month away from being ready.
There is a potential cup game in 14 days.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:36 pm

Any news coming from the club friendlies, interviews, player fitness updates. Nothing like keeping supporters engaged.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 pm

quakerste wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:36 pm
Any news coming from the club friendlies, interviews, player fitness updates. Nothing like keeping supporters engaged.
As far as I'm concerned the most important piece of news we are waiting for is from the government regarding crowds, there must surely be an announcement soon with only a fortnight till the proposed start to the season as to whether fans will be allowed in. I genuinely fear for clubs from League 1 downwards in particular if this shut out continues beyond October 1st, with local lockdown's already in place in some areas and murmurs from the press of a rise in cases and suggestions of new measures coming into place during the winter it's looking less promising by the day.

Clarity is needed ASAP.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:21 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 pm
quakerste wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:36 pm
As far as I'm concerned the most important piece of news we are waiting for is from the government regarding crowds, there must surely be an announcement soon with only a fortnight till the proposed start to the season as to whether fans will be allowed in. I genuinely fear for clubs from League 1 downwards in particular if this shut out continues beyond October 1st, with local lockdown's already in place in some areas and murmurs from the press of a rise in cases and suggestions of new measures coming into place during the winter it's looking less promising by the day.

Clarity is needed ASAP.
The problem is that things with the Coronavirus are changing so quickly. it's impossible to guess how things will change in the next 2 days, let alone 2 weeks. But the way things are going, I think the probability of the season starting in early October, is increasingly unlikely to happen.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:32 pm

Agree with you there, Darlo_Pete. HMG is looking for a "short circuit" and probably think stopping crowds at football matches is an easy target.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:35 am

I understand that FA are meeting DCMS today for clarity on what "spectators are advised not to attend football matches" means.

In the North West FAs have spoken to local health authority and the expectation is that clubs are actively discouraging spectators from attending. How can clubs even publicise games when that is the steer?

In the North East local authority have said fans should not attend, FA have said that their guidance is they can but that FA guidance does not trump local authority requirements.

Announcement expected tomorrow from the PM today with CMO and CSO doing theirs today. I think today is a scene set and tomorrow is going to be the what it means.

North West Counties have confirmed that a restriction on spectators will mean a delay to the season starting.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:53 am

Not hopeful that the season will begin as scheduled. Looks increasingly likely to me that there will be no football at our level until 2021 unless we can survive via live streaming of games.
Another possibility could be switching to a Summer Season say March to October 2021 to avoid the winter months and hopefully to coincide with a new vaccine. New restrictions imminent and football will be low down the list of priorities.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am

I'm guessing here, but in legal documents when it says 'Should' that is actually an imperative - i.e. it means 'must'
I'd be surprised if the same principle didn't apply here - that 'it's best if spectators keep away from games' actually means that local authorities will say they can't attend.
I'm also worried about this. My big hope is that Quaker TV will get us through this, and that people in USA, Kosovo, Timbuctoo and Little Lever will subscribe as well as many of our normal paying fans to keep us alive.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:43 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am
I'm guessing here, but in legal documents when it says 'Should' that is actually an imperative - i.e. it means 'must'
I'd be surprised if the same principle didn't apply here - that 'it's best if spectators keep away from games' actually means that local authorities will say they can't attend.
I'm also worried about this. My big hope is that Quaker TV will get us through this, and that people in USA, Kosovo, Timbuctoo and Little Lever will subscribe as well as many of our normal paying fans to keep us alive.
Its not just people subscribing to Quakers TV that is needed. Unless other clubs can earn enough via streaming, the season won't start.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:26 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:35 am

Announcement expected tomorrow from the PM today with CMO and CSO doing theirs today. I think today is a scene set and tomorrow is going to be the what it means.
In a nutshell hospital admissions have gone up as have the number of deaths, the rate of infection is doubling every week and if it continues unhindered we could see around 50,000 cases by the middle of next month and 200+ deaths per day by the middle of November. It would seem we can expect to see further restrictions over the next 6 months as they are expecting a difficult winter with Covid-19 joining the party along with common seasonable illnesses.

As we all know already we are walking a tight rope already trying to prevent another outbreak whilst trying to avoid significant damage to the economy so we're almost damned if we do and damned if we don't.

On a positive note though it seems vaccine trials are going well and there even be some available by the end of the year.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:44 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:53 am
Not hopeful that the season will begin as scheduled. Looks increasingly likely to me that there will be no football at our level until 2021 unless we can survive via live streaming of games.
Another possibility could be [b]switching to a Summer Season say March to October 2021[/b] to avoid the winter months and hopefully to coincide with a new vaccine. New restrictions imminent and football will be low down the list of priorities.
Not heard that one before but it might be the best option if we dont get a vaccine. As with other things that have the ability to harm us society will have to adjust I suppose.

I dread to think what austerity is going to look like after all this.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:08 pm

As some people have said, streaming only brings in income if there is any football. Worrying times for many clubs.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:16 pm

In COVID football news today.

Bamber Bridge have effectively resigned from the FA Cup after a positive test within their squad. The FA guidance is that they could have played on, but they chose not to and effectively forfeited their place.

Merthyr Town have asked for similar dispensation to Guernsey to not play this season. Effectively that is to not compete until the start of the 2021/22 season but to retain their membership and league status.

Whitby Town have been advised by local council to play behind closed doors at home - they have asked to switch their next home games to away so that they may play in front of spectators.

Shelley have withdrawn their place from the North West Counties and have opted to return to amateur football.

City of Liverpool FC on council advice have limited their crowd for their FA Cup game tomorrow back to 'Stage 1' limit of 200 from the 400 that is actually allowed at 'Stage 2'

And last but by no means least. Ollie Bayliss is reporting that "It is understood that fans will not be allowed back from next month and that pilot events will be paused" (https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 03872?s=19)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 am

All test events with crowds involved are almost certainly being ended, so the postponement of the season starting is almost inevitable. Very bad news for many clubs up & down the country.

Fat josh

Post by Fat josh » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:04 am

No need at all for the rusting Arena at all now.
Why pay rent on 2 grounds when no fans allowed in either?
Live streaming from our home ground of Blackwell meadows please...

Won't happen as the Arena worshippers won't allow it and won't be happy till we are in admin again playing in the crook and district league in front of 250 at the rusting Arena
King of uncovered

Leader of the true fans against the Arena return resistance movement

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 am

Suppose the question is whether the FA Cup match that was due to start the season will go ahead also?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:43 am

tdk1 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 am
Suppose the question is whether the FA Cup match that was due to start the season will go ahead also?
It will. FA Cup is different FA have been absolute that regardless of individual league start dates failure to fulfill FA Cup game is withdrawal from competition.

They have made it pretty clear that not holding the latter stages of the competition, which is where they make their sponsorship money, is a no go for them.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:17 am

In which case surely every national league team will forfeit, as otherwise it will activate the start of players' contracts? Or have they already begun now friendlies are under way?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:29 am

Fat josh wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:04 am
No need at all for the rusting Arena at all now.
Why pay rent on 2 grounds when no fans allowed in either?
Live streaming from our home ground of Blackwell meadows please...

Won't happen as the Arena worshippers won't allow it and won't be happy till we are in admin again playing in the crook and district league in front of 250 at the rusting Arena
Note to all other posters please ignore the above post and hopefully he will go away.