Ainsley pears

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
onewayup
Posts: 1992
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Ainsley pears

Post by onewayup » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:52 am

Looks likely to be a Blackburn player by the end of the week, they have upped their offer for him.

Old Git
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 am

onewayup wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:52 am
Looks likely to be a Blackburn player by the end of the week, they have upped their offer for him.
Not sure of the goalkeeper situation at Blackburn but I am sure he will provide competition/ cover for them at a very reasonable price. It was reported that Boro had turned down an initial offer of £200k but even double that for a young keeper of his potential seems cheap to me.
Much as I respect Warnock he just doesn’t seem the kind of manager that puts faith in youth. He was quoted recently saying he was looking to bring in another striker so possibly not a good sign for Tyrone. He probably would benefit from a loan deal to a League 2 team to get more experience in senior football.

comeondarlo
Posts: 2673
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by comeondarlo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:08 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 am
onewayup wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:52 am
Looks likely to be a Blackburn player by the end of the week, they have upped their offer for him.
Not sure of the goalkeeper situation at Blackburn but I am sure he will provide competition/ cover for them at a very reasonable price. It was reported that Boro had turned down an initial offer of £200k but even double that for a young keeper of his potential seems cheap to me.
Much as I respect Warnock he just doesn’t seem the kind of manager that puts faith in youth. He was quoted recently saying he was looking to bring in another striker so possibly not a good sign for Tyrone. He probably would benefit from a loan deal to a League 2 team to get more experience in senior football.
I think this is an absolutely crackers decision, at that sort of money I’m surprised a Premiership side (someone like Burnley as they have a great recent history in picking up cheap keepers) has not been interested in him; as a 2nd/3rd choice.

H1987
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by H1987 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 am

Are Boro in financial trouble? They seem to have been selling left, right and centre for years now. They have just about the smallest squad in the Championship and even though some of the players they have cost decent money, they were funded by bigger sales anyway. They sold Gibson and Traore for a small fortune in the recent past and didn't seem to spend a penny and appointed Woodgate manager with no money.

Very, very strange. Pears played a fair bit for them last season and they're going to flog him for half a million!? That's cheap even for a backup.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:49 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 am
Are Boro in financial trouble? They seem to have been selling left, right and centre for years now. They have just about the smallest squad in the Championship and even though some of the players they have cost decent money, they were funded by bigger sales anyway. They sold Gibson and Traore for a small fortune in the recent past and didn't seem to spend a penny and appointed Woodgate manager with no money.

Very, very strange. Pears played a fair bit for them last season and they're going to flog him for half a million!? That's cheap even for a backup.
Not at all strange. Steve Gibson has spent an absolute fortune on Boro trusting manager after manager and backing them all the way. He said the last time they were promoted that it was critical for them to stay in the prem. They failed and he said he could no longer keep on putting money into the club the way he had done previously, and the club must start to be more self funding.
Woodgates remit was to lower the wage bill both by reducing the size of the squad of players not going to be used and by replacing the highest earners.
The other rather obvious was to at the very least keep them in the Championship, and they had the players for that. A case of SG letting his heart rule his head by wanting a local lad who loved the club as much as he did to succeed. He put his business head back on just in time.
With so little income now the club are simply Haemorrhaging money,(as are most full time clubs).
I see no wrong in trying to slow that process down as much as possible.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:10 pm

He is in the last year of his contract, so if he wasn't going to be playing week in week out this season he could have left on a free anyway. So I think its just a case of cashing in while they can.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

H1987
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by H1987 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:39 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:49 am
H1987 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 am
Are Boro in financial trouble? They seem to have been selling left, right and centre for years now. They have just about the smallest squad in the Championship and even though some of the players they have cost decent money, they were funded by bigger sales anyway. They sold Gibson and Traore for a small fortune in the recent past and didn't seem to spend a penny and appointed Woodgate manager with no money.

Very, very strange. Pears played a fair bit for them last season and they're going to flog him for half a million!? That's cheap even for a backup.
Not at all strange. Steve Gibson has spent an absolute fortune on Boro trusting manager after manager and backing them all the way. He said the last time they were promoted that it was critical for them to stay in the prem. They failed and he said he could no longer keep on putting money into the club the way he had done previously, and the club must start to be more self funding.
Woodgates remit was to lower the wage bill both by reducing the size of the squad of players not going to be used and by replacing the highest earners.
The other rather obvious was to at the very least keep them in the Championship, and they had the players for that. A case of SG letting his heart rule his head by wanting a local lad who loved the club as much as he did to succeed. He put his business head back on just in time.
With so little income now the club are simply Haemorrhaging money,(as are most full time clubs).
I see no wrong in trying to slow that process down as much as possible.
That isn’t true though. There was an analysis released of how much clubs we’re paying in terms of salaries as a percentage of their gate income and Boro were one of the lowest in the division (It was related to COVID, I’ll see if I can find it). There were some truly shocking figures in there (I think Reading were the worst, they were paying out something like 300% of their income, while Boro actually paid out less than they made).

When you add that up with all of the money from sales it strikes me as though there’s a problem.

*edit* found it here https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... s-18556567

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11903
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:24 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:10 pm
He is in the last year of his contract, so if he wasn't going to be playing week in week out this season he could have left on a free anyway. So I think its just a case of cashing in while they can.
They'd get something at tribunal due to his age I think, although probably a nominal sum.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

EDJOHNS
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:11 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:39 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:49 am
H1987 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 am
Are Boro in financial trouble? They seem to have been selling left, right and centre for years now. They have just about the smallest squad in the Championship and even though some of the players they have cost decent money, they were funded by bigger sales anyway. They sold Gibson and Traore for a small fortune in the recent past and didn't seem to spend a penny and appointed Woodgate manager with no money.

Very, very strange. Pears played a fair bit for them last season and they're going to flog him for half a million!? That's cheap even for a backup.
Not at all strange. Steve Gibson has spent an absolute fortune on Boro trusting manager after manager and backing them all the way. He said the last time they were promoted that it was critical for them to stay in the prem. They failed and he said he could no longer keep on putting money into the club the way he had done previously, and the club must start to be more self funding.
Woodgates remit was to lower the wage bill both by reducing the size of the squad of players not going to be used and by replacing the highest earners.
The other rather obvious was to at the very least keep them in the Championship, and they had the players for that. A case of SG letting his heart rule his head by wanting a local lad who loved the club as much as he did to succeed. He put his business head back on just in time.
With so little income now the club are simply Haemorrhaging money,(as are most full time clubs).
I see no wrong in trying to slow that process down as much as possible.
That isn’t true though. There was an analysis released of how much clubs we’re paying in terms of salaries as a percentage of their gate income and Boro were one of the lowest in the division (It was related to COVID, I’ll see if I can find it). There were some truly shocking figures in there (I think Reading were the worst, they were paying out something like 300% of their income, while Boro actually paid out less than they made).

When you add that up with all of the money from sales it strikes me as though there’s a problem.

*edit* found it here https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... s-18556567
Just 2 points,
That covers 1 season when Boro had, as I already said, cut back on spending
2, The fact they spent 72% of income on wages does NOT mean they made a profit. That % is on PLAYER wages. Bor, like most clubs probably employ somewhere over 100 other people. Not taken into account by those figures. Then you have power costs, tax, council tax, insurance and a shed load of other incidentals of running a club.
God I wish we had had a chairman like Steve Gibson.

H1987
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:45 am

I do too, but I think it’s important to note they’re pretty sustainable and haven’t spent a lot of money comparable to what is come in for some time. It seems very odd to me the level at which they sell players off when their squad is so small.

Old Git
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by Old Git » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:11 pm

God I wish we had had a chairman like Steve Gibson.
Only if he was willing to spend a lot of his dosh. Otherwise much prefer to have the setup we have now.

Old Git
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by Old Git » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:04 am

H1987 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:45 am
I do too, but I think it’s important to note they’re pretty sustainable and haven’t spent a lot of money comparable to what is come in for some time. It seems very odd to me the level at which they sell players off when their squad is so small.
Agreed but they are also pretty crap as well.

H1987
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:42 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:04 am
H1987 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:45 am
I do too, but I think it’s important to note they’re pretty sustainable and haven’t spent a lot of money comparable to what is come in for some time. It seems very odd to me the level at which they sell players off when their squad is so small.
Agreed but they are also pretty crap as well.
Oh they're terrible. Was speaking to a friend about their performance last night. Said they were appalling. The squad is threadbare. Only two strikers on the books and O'Neil still can't get a shot on the bench in a cup game, which I might suggest signals that he is done there. Suspect he will land somewhere higher than us though. Surprised he hasn't ended up at Pools on loan tbh.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:11 pm

God I wish we had had a chairman like Steve Gibson.
Only if he was willing to spend a lot of his dosh. Otherwise much prefer to have the setup we have now.
I don't mind the level we are at if we are self funding.
My comment was more about his commitment since 1986.
When did we last have a director/chairman who hung around for the best part of 35 years? Remember, he was involved with saving Boro in 86 before taking the chair in 94.
When you look at it he is "only" worth about 270 million, so the money he has thrown at Boro over the years is impressive.

Old Git
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by Old Git » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 am
Old Git wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:11 pm

God I wish we had had a chairman like Steve Gibson.
Only if he was willing to spend a lot of his dosh. Otherwise much prefer to have the setup we have now.
I don't mind the level we are at if we are self funding.
My comment was more about his commitment since 1986.
When did we last have a director/chairman who hung around for the best part of 35 years? Remember, he was involved with saving Boro in 86 before taking the chair in 94.
When you look at it he is "only" worth about 270 million, so the money he has thrown at Boro over the years is impressive.
Yes it is and my comment was a bit flippant but the sad fact for Boro is that having an owner who is “only” worth 270 million is not enough to sustain a competitive Championship club in this era. He made a mistake appointing a rookie manager in Woodgate and expecting him to be able to operate on a very tight budget. Warnock is a more understandable appointment as he brings in vast knowledge of how to do just that but even he is not finding it easy to assemble a team capable of success. It is very difficult to see Boro regaining their Premiership status in the near future without significant new funding coming in.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 3148
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am

Warnock has tested positive for Covid 19

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


EDJOHNS
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ainsley pears

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:12 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am
Warnock has tested positive for Covid 19

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Oh dear. Not good at his age. Hope he is OK.
I know some don't like him because he is brash and in your face, but I would love more like him in the game as he has the balls to say it as he see's it and to hell with the know FA. Makes me laugh every time I hear him say "I had better be careful or the buggers at the FA will be into my pay packet again and similar comments.

Post Reply