Update Required?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Update Required?

Post by poppyfield » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:08 pm

Non League news paper saying we need £3 million per month to compensate playing without fans, which would equal ''roughly'' ;
44k to each club, unlikely.
62.5 K to each NL Club. 1.5 million
34k to each North/South club. 1.5 million
So 8 months = 24 million .
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:27 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:49 am
AndyPark wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:58 am
Considering Ray is a paid employee...
Is he? Was always under the impression he was a volunteer.
I always thought he was a freelance journalist

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:56 pm

This guy has done an extraordinary amount of work our club ,which others would have baulked at, times he's spent away from his family gathering all sorts of information for the club during extenuating circumstances has gone over and beyond for our club.
I personally thank him for that he's been and will continue to be of enormous help to our club. Over the coming seasons.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:50 pm

I would guess a few people are saying we've not heard much from the club because:
a) We've had two Saturdays where we've not been told anything about friendlies. I've heard nothing from a week last Sat, and heard a rumour that we played Poolies reserves on Sat
b) We no longer have a dedicated news feed from the echo

Neither would make me question the club publically, but point B is certainly a shame. The social media field had re-tweeted the National League's 'holding statement' but IMO there wasn't much to comment on. We have to wait and see

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:30 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:56 pm
This guy has done an extraordinary amount of work our club ,which others would have baulked at, times he's spent away from his family gathering all sorts of information for the club during extenuating circumstances has gone over and beyond for our club.
I personally thank him for that he's been and will continue to be of enormous help to our club. Over the coming seasons.
Ray has been a total devote to all things Darlo for 30 years + he has seen the highs the lows good & bad chairman without him we wouldn’t have an awarding winning programme, web site and the daily updates so let’s be clear when people come and go Ray has stayed the course.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:26 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:50 pm
I would guess a few people are saying we've not heard much from the club because:
a) We've had two Saturdays where we've not been told anything about friendlies. I've heard nothing from a week last Sat, and heard a rumour that we played Poolies reserves on Sat
b) We no longer have a dedicated news feed from the echo

Neither would make me question the club publically, but point B is certainly a shame. The social media field had re-tweeted the National League's 'holding statement' but IMO there wasn't much to comment on. We have to wait and see
My understanding is we played a behind closed doors friendly last week and we played a Pools 11 yesterday drawing 2-2, at least 3 first teamers Bloomfield, Williams and Oates played for Pools.

As we don't know if Storey or Laing has played yet, we have no idea what to expect if we go ahead with Saturdays game. I do wonder if this is deliberate and AA has asked not to announce the final couple of formations and who played, otherwise no need for the club to keep these details quiet.

Then the issues around do we gamble and start the season or do we drop out of the FA Cup.

Whilst I do want an update on what we are going to do, I think we all know it will come this week as we have big decisions to make.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am

I’m not sure required, but it’d be nice to know roughly where we stand with the season, what support there might be, if we hold out any hope of any fans being allowed in... and what it means with the stadium as well.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:20 am

H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am
I’m not sure required, but it’d be nice to know roughly where we stand with the season, what support there might be, if we hold out any hope of any fans being allowed in... and what it means with the stadium as well.
The directors would love to know the answers to those questions too - at every club in the country.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:13 pm

I was going to say this uncertainty isn't some charade to keep fans out of th loop. The way it seems to work

1. Media do digging and find out info which is reported and then spectators / fans start asking questions. Oh and government announce things before it's been seen by clubs.
2. Clubs receive information under embargo. Usually at 8/9PM allowed to release at midnight.
3. Clubs release information once embargo lifts and they have had a chance to actually translate into what this means.

Clubs are getting hours to react to official information before pressure to effectively publicise the outcome for their volunteer operations.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:42 pm

divas wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:20 am
H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am
The directors would love to know the answers to those questions too - at every club in the country.
I'd assume the club know a little more than what is out in the public sphere. Now listening to this interview with DJ right now whilst working.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:44 pm

You’d be surprised! Throughout this the club has been the last to know and has had to plan based on any and every eventuality

eek

Post by eek » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:52 pm

There is a 23 minute interview up at https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/dj-talk ... g-the-club

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Got to say, top draw interview with DJ just gone up on the website. Answers most of the questions which have been raised: https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/dj-talk ... g-the-club

We really are lucky to have him along with all the other volunteers who have supported the club pre- and during covid. So much to be proud of and real feeling that we're still moving forwards.

(Doesn't say who's starting at CB on Saturday though unfortunately)

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 pm

As per the interview

- No move to the Arena if fans aren't allowed in - DJ notes 'why would we pay twice' in such a scenario
- If we go to 'covid capacity' then it will be at the Arena
- Has met with Darlington Rugby club and says they want to know what we need for the future (i.e. what would keep us there?)
- Sounds like the academy will be working more from Blackwell
- Estimates the national leagues would need 30 million to keep all clubs afloat for the season
- As with prior statements, he believes we should not and cannot commit to playing this season without guaranteed financial support

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 pm
As per the interview

- No move to the Arena if fans aren't allowed in - DJ notes 'why would we pay twice' in such a scenario
- Has met with Darlington Rugby club and says they want to know what we need for the future (i.e. what would keep us there?)
- Estimates the national leagues would need 30 million to keep all clubs afloat for the season
- As with prior statements, he believes we should not and cannot commit to playing this season without guaranteed financial support
So in summary complete dependency on external factors - so all the ifs, buts and maybes that have been discussed above are if, buts and maybes because the club don't have any insider knowledge on what will come next.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Just listened to the DJ interview and want to say how lucky we are to have him as chairman and his board, plus of course the supporters group board, to steer the club through this covid crisis.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 pm

The interview is superb

A huge thanks to DJ, Chris Stockdale and everyone else involved. The amount of work which must have gone in to try and prepare us for this season, as volunteers, is staggering.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:45 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 pm
The interview is superb

A huge thanks to DJ, Chris Stockdale and everyone else involved. The amount of work which must have gone in to try and prepare us for this season, as volunteers, is staggering.
[/quote

Totally agree.
Please don't waste time posting on here about this superb interview unless you have listened to all 23 minutes. If you haven't listened to it you can't call yourself a fan.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:46 pm

al_quaker wrote:
The interview is superb

It certainly is - made even more difficult for having to plan for every single eventuality, many of which will never come to fruition. Even though DJ gives a thorough account of what’s been going on and what his thoughts are no one is still any clearer as to if we’ll start and under what terms (and that’s fact not criticism)

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Interesting that the meeting with the new chairman and board at Darlington RFC is described as "welcoming, positive, friendly and dynamic" and they are "keen to draw a line under some of the problems of the past". Words like that used over our relationship at BM certainly sounds encouraging.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:24 pm

Personally I would rather the club pull out of the cup if it triggers the players contracts and season does not start which I assume will be known before saturday

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 pm
Interesting that the meeting with the new chairman and board at Darlington RFC is described as "welcoming, positive, friendly and dynamic" and they are "keen to draw a line under some of the problems of the past". Words like that used over our relationship at BM certainly sounds encouraging.
Indeed. I was also reassured in prior weeks when he reassured that the Arena would be a temporary solution as he felt it was unrealistically big.

I hope given that, and the comments in this interview, we have a long term future in the town and not at the white elephant.

As for the interview and matters immediately at hand, I thought he covered everything very well. That's pretty much an update on everything I'd have liked an answer on. The only thing I hope we can achieve is some kind of 'hybrid' elite model, whereby a small number of our fans are allowed in but we also receive financial support. I genuinely can't see the 'Covid capacity' being allowed until after the winter has passed... it'd be great, and safer than most activities if we can at least get a few hundred of our fans in Blackwell while streaming to everyone else.

I really do find the entirely empty stadiums so bleak. I'll only be watching on streams anyway but if we could do it in a safe way to let a few home fans in, hopefully we can make it happen :thumbup: Letting a few hundred watch Shields or the Northern League, in much smaller venues, but forbidding it at our level is a nonsense. We can't survive on that alone (as DJ also noted) but I think it'd be something. I'm sure there would be 300 of our local, low-risk group fans who would certainly like it.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:40 pm

H1987 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:32 pm
if we could do it in a safe way to let a few home fans in, hopefully we can make it happen :thumbup: Letting a few hundred watch Shields or the Northern League, in much smaller venues, but forbidding it at our level is a nonsense. We can't survive on that alone (as DJ also noted) but I think it'd be something. I'm sure there would be 300 of our local, low-risk group fans who would certainly like it.
It’s absolutely pointless having 300 fans in at this sort of level and above. It would cost the club more to put a game on with those numbers than we’d make which is why it isn’t a solution that has been implemented any higher than league where that sort of number is the norm.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Well DJ obviously saw my post yesterday morning and made it a priority to answer my 'flapping' questions as soon as he could.

On a serious note that was a great interview answered the questions he could, but gave a level of reassurance and where the club was at, for the ones he couldn't.

Only gripe why he couldn't be bothered to get a squad update is beyond me. You would have thought he had other things to do at the moment. That's clearly a joke if anyone is in any doubt.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:03 pm

BBC news reporting that the details of a rescue package are unlikely to be sorted this week which must leave in doubt our ability to start playing as DJ stated we can’t start without the financial certainty. Interesting days ahead..

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:36 pm

H1987 wrote:
As per the interview

What smacked me in the face was "Has met with Darlington Rugby club and says they want to know what we need for the future (i.e. what would keep us there?)

To me that smacks of they think we may have other options opening up and are worried.
I do hope I am right.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:24 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:36 pm
H1987 wrote:
As per the interview

What smacked me in the face was "Has met with Darlington Rugby club and says they want to know what we need for the future (i.e. what would keep us there?)

To me that smacks of they think we may have other options opening up and are worried.
I do hope I am right.
Been a total changing of the guard at DRFC, most of the committee has changed I believe so maybe they’ll have a more ambitious outlook going forwards

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:26 pm

I would much prefer to stay at Blackwell meadows over the arena as long as the rugby club show us a bit more respect which hopefully is going to be the case.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:49 pm

al_quaker wrote:
The interview is superb

A vote of thanks to DJ and all those giving him help and support from me too.
We are incredibly fortunate to have him in this club.
DFC has never been in better hands

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:58 pm

H1987 wrote:
I wonder how this would work with clubs that are subsidised by a benefactor, i.e. not viable proposition without major backing?
Should the government be chucking taxpayers money at a rich mans play thing?