Aldershot

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

going_back_to_cali
Team Supported: Darlington

Aldershot

Post by going_back_to_cali » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm starting to look forward to the game already. Who is making the trip? Hopefully we will have 250 or so there maybe a few more with it being first game.

Any stand out memories from opening days? The game at cambridge in 2001 was a good one for me. One nil down to a dave kitson goal but came back with great goals from Ginger ginola and Ashley nicholls on his debut to knick it

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Re: Aldershot

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Bournemouth 91/92, scorching day, they had spent a small fortune and assembled a strong squad, we had just gone up, i along with others were expecting a defeat and we ended up turning them over 2-1, superb day out, shame the rest of the season was'nt as good !

The Tees Mouth

Post by The Tees Mouth » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:47 pm

2004 beating Grimsby 1-0. Grimsby had been all over us and Sammy Russell on debut was single handedly keeping us in the game making some great saves. Ian Clark came off the bench and fired home a belter with about 10 minutes to go cue celebrations and badge kissing.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:51 pm

The Tees Mouth wrote:2004 beating Grimsby 1-0. Grimsby had been all over us and Sammy Russell on debut was single handedly keeping us in the game making some great saves. Ian Clark came off the bench and fired home a belter with about 10 minutes to go cue celebrations and badge kissing.
Beat me to it!

That was our first home start since our conference days wasn't it?

Best opening day for me was 06/07 when we hammered Macclesfield 4-0 with big baz getting a hat trick on his return! I remember there was a bit of a buzz around the place as it was GH's first full season as owner and there were big expectations as he had given Hodgy a bit of money to spend.

Sadly that season resulted in yet more disappointment but it did pave the way for our most successful season since 2000.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:13 pm

KCChiefs wrote:Bournemouth 91/92, scorching day, they had spent a small fortune and assembled a strong squad, we had just gone up, i along with others were expecting a defeat and we ended up turning them over 2-1, superb day out, shame the rest of the season was'nt as good !
Great day.Frank Gray had taken over from Brian Little and fans were wearing "Frankie says Relax" t shirts.Kev Smith scored if my memory serves me well.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Was it Jimmy Willis and an og Leeds Col ? not so sure... i remember them getting one back late on and it was like the alamo the last 10 minutes - i had to nip out a few minutes early to catch the train back to Waterloo ! , happy days.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:29 pm

going_back_to_cali wrote:Ginger ginola and Ashley nicholls
Blimey I'd totally forgotten about Ashley Nicholls!
Those were the days...

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Nicholls is at Bishop's Strotford, he went to Grays Athletic a few years ago; Frank Gray took him there.

Hes only 27! Didn't realise he was so young playing for us.

willphil
Team Supported: Darlington FC, Cas Tigers RLFC

Post by willphil » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:40 pm

KCChiefs wrote:Bournemouth 91/92, scorching day, they had spent a small fortune and assembled a strong squad, we had just gone up, i along with others were expecting a defeat and we ended up turning them over 2-1, superb day out, shame the rest of the season was'nt as good !
yeah was a good weekend, seem to remember that Bournemouths ground staff arrived early to find the main stand had been decorated with Darlo graffiti... :lol: ....it isnt big and it isnt clever lol

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:56 pm

RealStadiumDFC wrote:Nicholls is at Bishop's Strotford, he went to Grays Athletic a few years ago; Frank Gray took him there.

Hes only 27! Didn't realise he was so young playing for us.
You answered the question I was about to ask!
Thanks very much!

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Frank Gray is Basingstoke Town manager now if your wondering...

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Another that springs to mind in terms of expectation was Halifax away at the start of the 99/00 season. Reynolds had taken control over the summer and we'd signed up Heaney, Aspin, Nogan etc.

Got a deserved 1-0 win, if I remember Nogan charged down a backpass to their keeper and laid it off for Gabba's to smash home in front of the Darlo fans.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 pm

fat tony wrote:Another that springs to mind in terms of expectation was Halifax away at the start of the 99/00 season. Reynolds had taken control over the summer and we'd signed up Heaney, Aspin, Nogan etc.

Got a deserved 1-0 win, if I remember Nogan charged down a backpass to their keeper and laid it off for Gabba's to smash home in front of the Darlo fans.
It peed it down and Halifax handed out free plastic ponchos to Darlo fans as the stand had no cover.It was the start of the"Georgie Georgie show us your scarf" chants and he lapped it all up.Makes me shudder now.

darlomilo

Post by darlomilo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 am

do halifax sill have the away end that was just a mound of rubble

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 am

I fancy going down there, but can't due to work commitments :x

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am

First day of 95/6 season, Exeter away. Travelled through the night intending to sleep in the car. Nobody got a moments sleep. Arrived in Exmouth at 6am, had to wait till 8 to get some breakfast. Good drink before but got lost in Exeter and arrived at the ground at 3pm. Parked outside the ground, got a parking ticket, missed the only goal of the game (Darlo), then too tired to have the planned night out in Torquay. Bed at 10pm. How we laughed.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

divas

Post by divas » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:37 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:First day of 95/6 season, Exeter away. Travelled through the night intending to sleep in the car. Nobody got a moments sleep. Arrived in Exmouth at 6am, had to wait till 8 to get some breakfast. Good drink before but got lost in Exeter and arrived at the ground at 3pm. Parked outside the ground, got a parking ticket, missed the only goal of the game (Darlo), then too tired to have the planned night out in Torquay. Bed at 10pm. How we laughed.
remember that one, paul olsson scored the only goal.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:07 pm

remember that one, paul olsson scored the only goal.

What was it like?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm going on Saturday. Very excited.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Aldershot (military town) give service personnel the concessions rate to their games.

Given our proximity to Catterick should we offer and advertise the same. It might attract a few who live locally or have weekend (Friday/Sunday) duties.

Plenty of money and need to eat/drink large quantities.