Jamie Holmes

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
onewayup
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Jamie Holmes

Post by onewayup » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:39 pm

A reminder that you can still help out with Jamie's surgery, he's closing in on the amount required, a final push would help get his funding over the line. And allow the surgery to be done quickly, sooner it's done the sooner he's fit for a place in the team.

Old Git
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by Old Git » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:03 am

Encouraging to see the progress made by Duncan Whatmore. According to the Echo he has suffered two cruciate knee injuries that have kept him out for two years and scored both goals for Boro in last nights win over Swansea.
Of course all injuries are not the same but nonetheless provides some hope for Jamie on his long road to recovery.

FozzQuaker
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by FozzQuaker » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:47 pm

Didn't Alan Shearer and Niall Quinn injure both cruciate ligaments...

Shearer at Blackburn and Newcastle and Quinn at Manchester City and Sunderland...Although I'm sure Shearer lost half a yard in his speed when he recovered, which I think was back in about 1997 or 1998

I think it was still at a time when a Cruciate Injury was a potential career ender for a footballer...

I wish Jamie Holmes all the best, while it is not good, as has been pointed out with Duncan Watmore, as bad as it sounds, doesn't necessarily spell the end of Jamies Career

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:55 pm

FozzQuaker wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:47 pm
Didn't Alan Shearer and Niall Quinn injure both cruciate ligaments...

Shearer at Blackburn and Newcastle and Quinn at Manchester City and Sunderland...Although I'm sure Shearer lost half a yard in his speed when he recovered, which I think was back in about 1997 or 1998

I think it was still at a time when a Cruciate Injury was a potential career ender for a footballer...

I wish Jamie Holmes all the best, while it is not good, as has been pointed out with Duncan Watmore, as bad as it sounds, doesn't necessarily spell the end of Jamies Career

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I don't remember Shearer doing his cruciates, but I do remember him getting a bad ankle injury which kept him out for many months. This was perhaps a year or so after Euro 96 when he was mid 20s and approaching his absolute prime. For me, he visibly had lost a yard of pace after that one. He was never quite the same, though still was a great player.
#Arenaherewecome

Yarblockos
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Shearer did his cruciate in 1992.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:12 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:43 pm
Shearer did his cruciate in 1992.
I remember this was on Championship manager - at start of the game Shearer was out with a cruciate :)
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

FozzQuaker
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by FozzQuaker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:00 pm


PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:43 pm
Shearer did his cruciate in 1992.
I remember this was on Championship manager - at start of the game Shearer was out with a cruciate :)
I also remember Shearer being injured at the beginning of CM 1997/98 as well, sure it was cruciate

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


spen666
Posts: 1905
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by spen666 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:46 pm

FozzQuaker wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:00 pm
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:43 pm
Shearer did his cruciate in 1992.
I remember this was on Championship manager - at start of the game Shearer was out with a cruciate :)
I also remember Shearer being injured at the beginning of CM 1997/98 as well, sure it was cruciate

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
It was an ankle ligaments, not cruciate ligament that time and broken bone. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 53202.html

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:55 pm

That's the one I was referring to. About a year after Euro 96. After that particular injury he had lost a yard of pace and acceleration - so it looked to me anyway. That had a noticeable effect, whereas the cruciate in 92 obviously hadn't because he was almost unplayable for a number of seasons after that up until the ankle injury - IMO anyway.
#Arenaherewecome

Darlogramps
Posts: 5350
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Jamie Holmes

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:That's the one I was referring to. About a year after Euro 96. After that particular injury he had lost a yard of pace and acceleration - so it looked to me anyway. That had a noticeable effect, whereas the cruciate in 92 obviously hadn't because he was almost unplayable for a number of seasons after that up until the ankle injury - IMO anyway.
He went on to become Newcastle’s record goalscorer, so he didn’t do too badly.

But generally speaking I think you have a point, in that his style of play did seem to change a little.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jamie Holmes

Post by Spyman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 am

He became a lot more physical to make up for the fact he was less mobile. What never changed was his right-foot and how well he struck a ball!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Post Reply