Support package announced

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Support package announced

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:25 am

According to Oliver Bayliss

"How the National League funding will be divided:

7 National League clubs will receive 95k a month.

The 16 other clubs get £84k a month.

5 National North/South clubs will receive 36k a month.

The 37 other clubs get 30k a month.

Clubs will receive payment next week."

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Support package announced

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:31 am

5 clubs in NLN/South getting £36k only just covers the teams relegated from NL Prem plus one other.
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker
Posts: 5703
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 am

Struggle to see how the likes of Hereford and York get less than half of what Boreham Wood get when it was meant to be based on lost revenue?

We had the 6th highest attendance across the national north/south last season, so we could well end up with the same amount as Curzon Ashton who get/got about 400 fans in. Unless it's 5 in North and 5 in South - could be read either way? (Edit - actually no it couldn't :lol: . '37 other clubs')

Bizarre. Obviously hopefully enough to keep all clubs going, but it appears to me that some clubs are going to do better/less badly out of this than others.
Last edited by al_quaker on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Support package announced

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 am

Yep that is based on the clubs in NLN/S last season and doesn't include those who were NLP last season.

I have a feeling they may get first dibs.

I really thought they would just take the total average attendance. Work out a £/person on the total pot and then apportion accordingly.

Never mind shame we didn't know this going in.

al_quaker
Posts: 5703
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:43 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 am

I really thought they would just take the total average attendance. Work out a £/person on the total pot and then apportion accordingly.
That's what I assumed, and to me that sounds the fairest system. Could have special dispensation for the teams who were promoted/move stadia to argue for an increased attendance. Instead, they've come up with an alternative system which, on the face of it, I struggle to see the logic in (other than ease of administration I guess).

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Support package announced

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:58 am

If it is based on attendances last season the top 5 would be

York
Hereford
Chester
Dulwich Hamlet
Maidstone United

We would be 6th but tbf Kidderminster, Fylde and Havant & Waterlooville were reasonably similar to us. The gap between us and Maidstone is reasonably bigger than our gap to the others as well.

Three clubs with average attendances below 400 though.

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am

Think it's 5 per division north and south

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Support package announced

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 am

Who are the 'other' 37 clubs if that were the case then?

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:18 am

Nope I think you are right 😊

Mister e
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by Mister e » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:22 am

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 am
Struggle to see how the likes of Hereford and York get less than half of what Boreham Wood get when it was meant to be based on lost revenue?

We had the 6th highest attendance across the national north/south last season, so we could well end up with the same amount as Curzon Ashton who get/got about 400 fans in. Unless it's 5 in North and 5 in South - could be read either way? (Edit - actually no it couldn't :lol: . '37 other clubs')

Bizarre. Obviously hopefully enough to keep all clubs going, but it appears to me that some clubs are going to do better/less badly out of this than others.
Regarding boreham wood that is the club in Oliver dowdens constituency.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:31 am

If all confirmed then £30k per month seems reasonable for us. Not sure how some teams with smaller attendances get the same as teams with higher etc. generally but you get what you are given and get on with it I guess.

If I am honest without really looking at all numbers and how long this goes on for, it seems quite generous. Maybe I am wrong as not looked fully, be interesting to hear David Johnston's comments on this.

al_quaker
Posts: 5703
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:52 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54629239

York, Chester, Hereford, Dulwich Hamlet and Maidstone confirmed as the 5 clubs at step 2 to receive £36k. Top 5 average attendances last season at this level.

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Support package announced

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:09 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:31 am
If all confirmed then £30k per month seems reasonable for us. Not sure how some teams with smaller attendances get the same as teams with higher etc. generally but you get what you are given and get on with it I guess.

If I am honest without really looking at all numbers and how long this goes on for, it seems quite generous. Maybe I am wrong as not looked fully, be interesting to hear David Johnston's comments on this.
DJ said we needed £250k if this went on all season didn't he? Effectively 8 months (October - May). That works out at circa £31,250 pcm.

I guess if streaming revenues manage to balance out "refunds" for and make up that difference from the outset it may be ok.

The bigger question is more the balance when compared with say Curzon. They must be better off that they have ever been?

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:17 am

Curzon is a different kettle of fish, as I suspect may be the case with some other clubs. The great majority of their revenue is coming from hiring their hospitality, which they are not making as much on at the moment. The grant may not just be made up of gate receipts, but other earnings on top.
Personally, I'm just glad we're getting this and am not going to quibble. If we can top it up by 4-5k per home game through streaming, programmes, 50/50 then great. We really need people to do this.

Alfie
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Support package announced

Post by Alfie » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am

Wasn't there something announced a few days ago about the National Lottery putting some money into the National League?

Wonder how that fits in with this - is it included in this package or some additional money?

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Support package announced

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 am

Alfie wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am
Wasn't there something announced a few days ago about the National Lottery putting some money into the National League?

Wonder how that fits in with this - is it included in this package or some additional money?
That is this package.

The funding for the next three months is coming from the National Lottery.

StevieMardenboro
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 am

Important as many fans as possible use the streaming service for home games I think.

I always like to believe there are loads of exiled Darlo fans who can't get to games but love the club every bit as much as we did when we lived in Darlo . Well now we can attend en masse from our homes and it could make a real difference to the club's revenue.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:41 am

It does seem a bit of an "odd" way to divide the money, but then while we are unhappy to miss out on 6 grand a month I am sure York and the like are saying why should it be only 6000 when we are full time and they part time. (Or some such).
As usual it is impossible to please everyone, and being the glass half full type that I am I see it as meaning that most if not all clubs can now cut their cloth to suite and should survive at least the next few months. Also of course means we as the people who have to fund the club have less cash to find to make sure the club break even, which is welcome with the state of the country/world, and Christmas fast approaching.
As has been said, so long as we are allowed to keep streaming games while no fans are allowed and we keep the 50/50 up that should just about see the back of any shortfall.

What is not to like about this news?

onewayup
Posts: 1989
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by onewayup » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:31 am

It's still not the right way it is better than nothing ,I believed it was on fanbases so each club received a good proportion of their own individual lost revenue, the way it's done benefits by a far greater percentage the clubs with smaller fanbases who's losses are not as great as the club's with larger fanbases. It's a minefield but it's heavily weighted against the biggest fanbase club's

bga
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by bga » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:09 am
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:31 am
If all confirmed then £30k per month seems reasonable for us. Not sure how some teams with smaller attendances get the same as teams with higher etc. generally but you get what you are given and get on with it I guess.

If I am honest without really looking at all numbers and how long this goes on for, it seems quite generous. Maybe I am wrong as not looked fully, be interesting to hear David Johnston's comments on this.
DJ said we needed £250k if this went on all season didn't he? Effectively 8 months (October - May). That works out at circa £31,250 pcm.

I guess if streaming revenues manage to balance out "refunds" for and make up that difference from the outset it may be ok.

The bigger question is more the balance when compared with say Curzon. They must be better off that they have ever been?
I maybe wrong but was DJ not referring to how much we needed after our reserves ran out which I think he said would be January? Therefore £250,000 from January to the end of May ie £50,000 per month needed?

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:17 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm
I maybe wrong but was DJ not referring to how much we needed after our reserves ran out which I think he said would be January? Therefore £250,000 from January to the end of May ie £50,000 per month needed?
The reserves won't run out in January though if we get 30k in October, 30k in November, 30k in December (and potentially the same all the way until May if we can't play in front of crowds for the duration, which would be 240k).

30K per month for as long as we're behind closed doors should more or less cover it. I'm hopeful that 30k a month is roughly the figure we were hoping for to balance the books.
#Arenaherewecome

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Support package announced

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:17 pm
30K per month for as long as we're behind closed doors should more or less cover it. I'm hopeful that 30k a month is roughly the figure we were hoping for to balance the books.
That feels about right on the face of it.

Could be a £10k deficit if we get it for eight months but a bit of progress in the FA Cup, minimal refunds requested and streaming revenues will hopefully allow things to be balanced out.

Of course assuming people keep up with their BtB payments as well but I think we budget for a proportion of those to not materialise.

bga
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by bga » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:17 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm
I maybe wrong but was DJ not referring to how much we needed after our reserves ran out which I think he said would be January? Therefore £250,000 from January to the end of May ie £50,000 per month needed?
The reserves won't run out in January though if we get 30k in October, 30k in November, 30k in December (and potentially the same all the way until May if we can't play in front of crowds for the duration, which would be 240k).

30K per month for as long as we're behind closed doors should more or less cover it. I'm hopeful that 30k a month is roughly the figure we were hoping for to balance the books.
Short answer is we just don't know until the Board clarify. I thought that DJ was saying we needed the £250,000 to complete the season after end of December (or January this was never made clear) so as I said above I thought maybe we needed minimum of £50,000 per month throughout the season. If that was the case we would need to supplement the £30,000 per month now by £20,000 per month from reserves. It is all guesswork on our part I guess. The bailout is certainly very welcome.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13142
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by divas » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:06 pm

I reckon we’ll be ok with what we’ve been given as long as we keep QTV and 5050 numbers up

jjljks
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm

divas wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:06 pm
I reckon we’ll be ok with what we’ve been given as long as we keep QTV and 5050 numbers up
And another decent Cup run 🤞

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:41 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:50 pm
Short answer is we just don't know until the Board clarify. I thought that DJ was saying we needed the £250,000 to complete the season after end of December (or January this was never made clear) so as I said above I thought maybe we needed minimum of £50,000 per month throughout the season. If that was the case we would need to supplement the £30,000 per month now by £20,000 per month from reserves. It is all guesswork on our part I guess. The bailout is certainly very welcome.
You're correct that we won't know for sure until the board clarify.

However my point was only that we'll receive 90k in the next 3 months which wasn't included in the "we'll run out of money by x date, if we have no spectators" forecast. So the figure needed to get us to the end of the season will be 90k less than the 250k figure, so not 50k a month from January to June.
#Arenaherewecome

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:42 pm


bga
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by bga » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:41 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:50 pm
Short answer is we just don't know until the Board clarify. I thought that DJ was saying we needed the £250,000 to complete the season after end of December (or January this was never made clear) so as I said above I thought maybe we needed minimum of £50,000 per month throughout the season. If that was the case we would need to supplement the £30,000 per month now by £20,000 per month from reserves. It is all guesswork on our part I guess. The bailout is certainly very welcome.
You're correct that we won't know for sure until the board clarify.

However my point was only that we'll receive 90k in the next 3 months which wasn't included in the "we'll run out of money by x date, if we have no spectators" forecast. So the figure needed to get us to the end of the season will be 90k less than the 250k figure, so not 50k a month from January to June.
Ok understand and agree. Re-assuring statement from the Board who seem happy with the next few months.

Old Git
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by Old Git » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 pm

Reassuring statement from the club. About as positive as we can expect in the current climate.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Support package announced

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 pm

I could be wrong, but I should imagine that these grants are tax free amounts, whereas any sale of match-day tickets would be subject to VAT deductions.

£30k per month seems like enough, as long as it continues until the end of the season or whenever fans are allowed back in, whichever is earlier.

This funding, coupled with other income sources, should suffice. Nonetheless, if there was ever a time to continue to support the club financially (if you can) then this is it.

Post Reply