Swindon away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:15 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 pm
Not that I'd want us to get through in these circumstances but their league match has been postponed Vs Accrington due to Covid cases.... wouldn't want a bye surely?!? :roll:
Rules have changed and it's down to the FA discretion now, so can be played later.

I would rather the game went ahead as expected.

joejaques
Posts: 2836
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Swindon away

Post by joejaques » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:28 pm

I realise it's unlikely, but in my dream world we will be the Monday night game. That's the day Wales comes out of lockdown, so I could commandeer the TV in the pub, as I did for Walsall. :roll:
Image

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:36 pm

A lot to sort before this game really.

iFollow which Swindon use for league games, doesn't stretch to FA Cup games currently and FA have said that the home said can stream if the want to but not they have to.

I am sure they won't but perhaps Swindon could leave the streaming to Darlo, I can't see why a professional club would do that though.

Looks like we may be able to get overnight expenses to travel but it's close to rules and we may not fall into those rules, which would mean as a club we need to raise this.

A lot of challenges and we will probably have to win the tie to make any cash from it.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:48 pm

Someone on another forum reckons the FA have made a U turn on prize money, so 1st round winners get 16.5k and losers 5.5k.
Makes sense, as some league clubs may actually choose to withdraw with a poor tie rather than risk losing money. Really, the draw should have been regionalised up until round 3 like it used to be. Less teams staying in hotels therefore less chance of transmissions.

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Swindon away

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:36 pm
A lot to sort before this game really.

iFollow which Swindon use for league games, doesn't stretch to FA Cup games currently and FA have said that the home said can stream if the want to but not they have to.

I am sure they won't but perhaps Swindon could leave the streaming to Darlo, I can't see why a professional club would do that though.

Looks like we may be able to get overnight expenses to travel but it's close to rules and we may not fall into those rules, which would mean as a club we need to raise this.

A lot of challenges and we will probably have to win the tie to make any cash from it.
We can't claim for hotel based on competition rules. It would be our own expense. Blackwell Meadows to the County Ground is 4hours 14 minutes according to AA Route Planner (The FA's chosen provider - Google maps would only get us an extra 9 minutes). We get a 45 minute stop off allowance so that is 5 hours.

The only way that you are eligible for hotel expenses is if according to the calculation above AA Route Planner + 45 minutes it would be necessary to leave before 08:00 to arrive before 13:30. We are about 30 minutes off being eligible.

It is just a decision we need to make. If we do it then I think we have to assume we stomach the costs and then seek reimbursement from fans - can't really afford to wait and see if we can get all the money from fans.

On the streaming side that is really down to the home side to resolve. Not sure anything for us to sort out. In reality given all the infrastructure will be set up at The County Ground for ifollow I can just see there being a match pass offered via that route.

biccynana
Posts: 832
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by biccynana » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:59 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:32 pm
Agreed it is slightly tougher than Walsall - they were a struggling league two side not league one but regardless let's just enjoy it.

I am surprised people think it has any shot of being the TV game though.

Tonbridge Angels v Bradford City
Maldon & Tiptree v Bristol Rovers
Eastbourne Borough v Blackpool
Eastleigh v MK Dons
Borehamwood v Southend
Hayes & Yeading v Carlisle
FC United v Doncaster Rovers
Hampton & Richmond Borough v Oldham

All the above are lower league at home to bigger clubs. Oldham, Carlisle and Bradford City and Blackpool are all ex tier 1 clubs as well which adds to it.

Hayes & Yeading v Carlisle
Hampton & Richmond Borough v Oldham

They are the ones I would probably put above the others. Only because Maldon & Tiptree got focus last season and FC United have a nice ground so it doesn't look as lower league as others.

Eastleigh and Borehamwood my choices for upsets.
I wondered whether Barrow v AFC Wimbledon might catch TV's eye. A newly-returned former league club, back from non-league against a team that had its own 'fairytale' rise through the lower leagues to become a fixture in the EFL.

At least it won't be plucky little Salford.

lo36789
Posts: 8922
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Swindon away

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:02 pm

The only problem with Barrow v AFC Wimbledon is they can't spend 80% of commentary referring to the trades of the players.

biccynana
Posts: 832
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by biccynana » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:04 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:02 pm
The only problem with Barrow v AFC Wimbledon is they can't spend 80% of commentary referring to the trades of the players.
:lol:

joejaques
Posts: 2836
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Swindon away

Post by joejaques » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Does anyone know when the decisions will be made on which games are to be televised? :roll:
Image

Darlogramps
Posts: 5251
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:36 pm

biccynana wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:32 pm
Agreed it is slightly tougher than Walsall - they were a struggling league two side not league one but regardless let's just enjoy it.

I am surprised people think it has any shot of being the TV game though.

Tonbridge Angels v Bradford City
Maldon & Tiptree v Bristol Rovers
Eastbourne Borough v Blackpool
Eastleigh v MK Dons
Borehamwood v Southend
Hayes & Yeading v Carlisle
FC United v Doncaster Rovers
Hampton & Richmond Borough v Oldham

All the above are lower league at home to bigger clubs. Oldham, Carlisle and Bradford City and Blackpool are all ex tier 1 clubs as well which adds to it.

Hayes & Yeading v Carlisle
Hampton & Richmond Borough v Oldham

They are the ones I would probably put above the others. Only because Maldon & Tiptree got focus last season and FC United have a nice ground so it doesn't look as lower league as others.

Eastleigh and Borehamwood my choices for upsets.
I wondered whether Barrow v AFC Wimbledon might catch TV's eye. A newly-returned former league club, back from non-league against a team that had its own 'fairytale' rise through the lower leagues to become a fixture in the EFL.

At least it won't be plucky little Salford.
Unlikely. It’s League 2 v League 1 so hardly romance of the cup.

Tonbridge Angels v Bradford City and FC United v Doncaster I think are likely.

Harrogate v Skelmersdale will be up there too. Skem’s low ranking and decent back-story will make up for the fact they’re away from home.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13082
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:15 am

Not got good memories of seeing us at Swindon as I've been twice, not sure which game came first.

We drew them in the league cup when it used to be played over 2 legs. I think they were at least one if not two divisions above us, we were in Division 4 as per usual. We beat them 3-0 at Feethams, so the club organised 2 or 3 supporters coaches for the midweek second leg, we duly lost 4-0 at the County Ground. My other recollection was playing them on a Sunday & I went on a privately run coach, they were drinking alcohol at 6am, which was a new experience for me. Think we lost 1-0.

At least one consequence of these troubled times is that I won't have to make the trip down to the County Ground for a 3rd time, to see us play a game that we are likely to lose.

If you want to see something truly bonkers, google Swindon roundabouts & you'll see something truly amazing which is just outside the County Ground.

Sussex07
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Sussex07 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:05 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:15 am
. My other recollection was playing them on a Sunday & I went on a privately run coach, they were drinking alcohol at 6am, which was a new experience for me. Think we lost 1-0.



:lol:



That's early Pete,what were you expecting bacon and eggs?? :lol:

poppyfield
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by poppyfield » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:18 am

GOFUNDME PAGE SET UP

Help the club with the costs for overnight stay.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/darlington-f ... are-flow-1
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13082
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:41 am

Sussex07 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:05 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:15 am
. My other recollection was playing them on a Sunday & I went on a privately run coach, they were drinking alcohol at 6am, which was a new experience for me. Think we lost 1-0.



:lol:



That's early Pete,what were you expecting bacon and eggs?? :lol:
It was & I was pretty young so didn't drink too much. I remember the bus had no seats at the back & the lads that organised the coach put a pile of cans in the middle. I think they were well on the way to getting drunk by the time we got to Wetherby. :lol:

EDJOHNS
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:02 am

Wiseacre wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:51 pm
There is some cup history pre-history really. We won there in the cup in1965 when Jimmy Lawton starred we swapped him for Alan Sproates after the game. Not literally but it was canny business.
Not an ideal tie but as Gps points out we said much the same about Walsall. I think we can bring Swindon back too.
That game was at our place mate. 1-0 down going into time added on and the ground virtually empty we somehow scored 2 goals to win. We had beaten Scunny 2-0 away in the first round.

Quite a few players who will be well thought of played for both clubs.


Bill ATKIN, Ken BRANDON, Aaron BROWN
Sandy COCHRANE, James COLLINS, Patrick COLLINS
Mark COOPER, Paul CRICHTON, Tom DAWSON
Richard DRYDEN, David DUKE, Stuart ELLIOTT
Curtis FLEMING, David GEDDIS, George GRAY
Alex HENSHALL, Robin HULBERT, Chris JONES
Jimmy LAWTON, Fred LAYCOCK, Andy LONERGAN
David LUCAS, Neale MCDERMOTT, Ian MUIR
Tim PARKIN, Jim PARMLEY, Tommy PENN
Ben PURKISS, Michael SMITH, Alan SPROATES
Colin TODD

Darlopartisan
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:12 am

£1500 target, £345 already raised 👍

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13142
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by divas » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 am

I applaud the initiative and sentiment of setting the gofundme up but we have a DFCSG platform that won’t take any cut of the funds raised that would have been a bit more strategic

Old Git
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:06 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:02 am
Wiseacre wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:51 pm
There is some cup history pre-history really. We won there in the cup in1965 when Jimmy Lawton starred we swapped him for Alan Sproates after the game. Not literally but it was canny business.
Not an ideal tie but as Gps points out we said much the same about Walsall. I think we can bring Swindon back too.
That game was at our place mate. 1-0 down going into time added on and the ground virtually empty we somehow scored 2 goals to win. We had beaten Scunny 2-0 away in the first round.

Quite a few players who will be well thought of played for both clubs.


Bill ATKIN, Ken BRANDON, Aaron BROWN
Sandy COCHRANE, James COLLINS, Patrick COLLINS
Mark COOPER, Paul CRICHTON, Tom DAWSON
Richard DRYDEN, David DUKE, Stuart ELLIOTT
Curtis FLEMING, David GEDDIS, George GRAY
Alex HENSHALL, Robin HULBERT, Chris JONES
Jimmy LAWTON, Fred LAYCOCK, Andy LONERGAN
David LUCAS, Neale MCDERMOTT, Ian MUIR
Tim PARKIN, Jim PARMLEY, Tommy PENN
Ben PURKISS, Michael SMITH, Alan SPROATES
Colin TODD
And a few not so well thought of. Henshall for one. Don’t think Cooper Dryden and Todd ever played for us but were managers/ coaches. I know Cooper /Dryden managed us to a Wembley win but otherwise were not great and least said about Todd’s reign the better.

TFDM
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by TFDM » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:05 pm

Not sure where we stand with streaming at the moment - I know we're allowed to. Although the draw has only just been made so plenty can happen.

Swindon will obviously part of iFollow so that wouldn't cover the FA Cup. I would imagine a lot of the iFollow practicalities will be sorted by the league (ensuring a camera person is there with a suitable camera etc). Part of me wonder if Swindon would even have the in house stuff to do it. If you notice a lot of the clubs who go up from the national league end up using the league's footage (Salford did and Barrow are). Quite clearly the in house media teams focus on other things when they go up.

Its a weird one at our level, you are expected to do a lot of stuff around match day filming yourselves. That's clearly not the case further up the league. So you end up a strange situation where teams further down the system often have better in house solutions for doing stuff such as streaming and match highlights.

We'll see what happens between now and the game. A lot can happen. But it would be a real shame if there were no way to bring the game to a wider audience.

bga
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by bga » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:31 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 am
I applaud the initiative and sentiment of setting the gofundme up but we have a DFCSG platform that won’t take any cut of the funds raised that would have been a bit more strategic
I have not seen this endorsed on the club website yet so that possibly explains the above. Presumably they'll be happy for any contribution received as long as they do intend to stay overnight!

onewayup
Posts: 1990
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by onewayup » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:23 pm

Alun already stated an overnight stay in his interview. I saw this morning with ray Simpson. I believe we have to get an overnight stay for a chance to win. Without an overnighter up early five hours in coach will take some getting over then having a tough 90
mins ,let's get the funding upto required amount to give the team a head start. Onward and upwards with DFC

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:36 pm
A lot to sort before this game really.

iFollow which Swindon use for league games, doesn't stretch to FA Cup games currently and FA have said that the home said can stream if the want to but not they have to.

I am sure they won't but perhaps Swindon could leave the streaming to Darlo, I can't see why a professional club would do that though.

Looks like we may be able to get overnight expenses to travel but it's close to rules and we may not fall into those rules, which would mean as a club we need to raise this.

A lot of challenges and we will probably have to win the tie to make any cash from it.
We can't claim for hotel based on competition rules. It would be our own expense. Blackwell Meadows to the County Ground is 4hours 14 minutes according to AA Route Planner (The FA's chosen provider - Google maps would only get us an extra 9 minutes). We get a 45 minute stop off allowance so that is 5 hours.

The only way that you are eligible for hotel expenses is if according to the calculation above AA Route Planner + 45 minutes it would be necessary to leave before 08:00 to arrive before 13:30. We are about 30 minutes off being eligible.

It is just a decision we need to make. If we do it then I think we have to assume we stomach the costs and then seek reimbursement from fans - can't really afford to wait and see if we can get all the money from fans.

On the streaming side that is really down to the home side to resolve. Not sure anything for us to sort out. In reality given all the infrastructure will be set up at The County Ground for ifollow I can just see there being a match pass offered via that route.
Yeah my initial thought is we are outside of the rules to claim hotel back.

In regards to streaming, not sure we would agree to iFollow where the statement is "Support your club - at least 70% of net iFollow revenues go directly to your club"

Not sure full in's and out's but at least 70% doesn't entice me, if we could go QuakerTV and share the revenues with Swindon, although not sure we take 100% revenue every game from QuakerTV.

As Kev syas the streaming scenario is a little bit in the air currently it seems.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Also this is from the EFL iFollow site
EFL wrote:Please note: Carabao Cup Round One - Four (excluding those involving a Premier League club) and EFL Trophy matches are now available on iFollow (excluding those selected for broadcast) but there will be no The FA Cup matches available to watch on the service.
Also think as Kev says it might be that as Swindon have outsourced to iFollow they may not be keen to get involved in streaming this game or at least leading.

swadquaker
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:19 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by swadquaker » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Does anybody else remember the league cup against them in 1965. Don Rogers was outside left and one of the best players I saw at feethams. Every time he got the ball it looked like they would score. Came away thinking how on earth did we win that one? Same result again would be nice.

joejaques
Posts: 2836
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by joejaques » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:17 pm

£442 raised so far. Keep it going lads. :D :roll:
Image

TFDM
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by TFDM » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:18 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:40 pm
Also this is from the EFL iFollow site
EFL wrote:Please note: Carabao Cup Round One - Four (excluding those involving a Premier League club) and EFL Trophy matches are now available on iFollow (excluding those selected for broadcast) but there will be no The FA Cup matches available to watch on the service.
Also think as Kev says it might be that as Swindon have outsourced to iFollow they may not be keen to get involved in streaming this game or at least leading.
Yeah that's what I was angling at. Almost certain iFollow won't cover it, which means it would fall on Swindon to do it. They may not have the inclination to do it or have all the gear to make it happen in the time there is. We on the other hand do. Obviously its not just my say as we work as a team on the streaming side of things. However if I were the club I would definitely ask the question in regards to what the plan is from Swindon. If they aren't keen then suggest we could do it and then bring it to us as a media team and see how we feel about doing it.

Like I say, its early doors. The draw has only just been made. I think its just a case of watch this space and see what develops. I honestly think it would be a real shame for both sets of fans to miss out.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:36 pm

Over £500 up now 👍

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1338
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Another positive test at Swindon today. They now have 5...….

User avatar
Markodarlo
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by Markodarlo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:35 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 am
I applaud the initiative and sentiment of setting the gofundme up but we have a DFCSG platform that won’t take any cut of the funds raised that would have been a bit more strategic
Do you want me to cancel it then?

Last season it was down to fans being offered places on the team coach and to stay over, this year we have Covid so as a fan tried being proactive and to basically give the club free cash to counteract the expenses.

I’ll let you use the strategic approach in the next round.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away GOFUNDME page set up see below for details

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Markodarlo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:35 pm
divas wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 am
I applaud the initiative and sentiment of setting the gofundme up but we have a DFCSG platform that won’t take any cut of the funds raised that would have been a bit more strategic
Do you want me to cancel it then?

Last season it was down to fans being offered places on the team coach and to stay over, this year we have Covid so as a fan tried being proactive and to basically give the club free cash to counteract the expenses.

I’ll let you use the strategic approach in the next round.
I think it’s brilliant, don’t cancel keep it going, third of the way there already.

Can see the point of DFCSG, but that’s making it official (for want of a better word) this is a fan doing the right thing and of been supported by like minded people, good on you markodarlo👍

Post Reply