Swindon away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:46 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 pm
Friggin BBC, begrudging mention on website - making more references to Salford City and troubled Swindon than a great display by the lads under superb managerial direction of AA. Just watched AA post-match interview and he was very grateful to all the fans who had contributed to paying for the overnight stay & said it was this that helped make the victory possible. What a great manager of player & fans!

"Sixth-tier Darlington pulled off an FA Cup first-round upset against managerless Swindon Town thanks to Adam Campbell's brace at the County Ground.

Campbell put the National League North visitors ahead with a right-footed strike just past the half-hour mark.

Brett Pitman levelled just before the break as he fired home inside the box following good work form Joel Grant.

But Campbell once again found the net midway through the second half with a long-range strike to seal it.

Darlington progress to the second-round stage of the FA Cup for the first time since 2010-11 by virtue of their victory against their League One opponents.

The Robins are without a manager after former boss Richie Wellens left the club earlier this week to be appointed as Salford City's new boss.

The defeat means Swindon have now lost 10 of their past 13 games in all competitions and are knocked out at the first-round stage for the seventh time in the past nine seasons"
Not entirely sure what your problem is here. They make one reference to Salford, which is relevant given they took Swindon's manager.

There's literally nothing wrong with this article. You're just trying to feed some weird victim complex.

Let's celebrate a great win tonight, instead of looking for non-existent grievances.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:56 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:44 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:26 pm
Any home draw should guarantee the game is covered live on TV. Looking forward to AA being on TV at Harrogate.
Not quite. Stockport at home for example hardly gets the pulse racing.
Think even that would get us picked for the digital option though. Not the main 4 games but the other ones, which I believe you get £32.5k for.

Although I think if we get prime time as you say is all down to the draw.


8 games were picked for some form of full game on TV and payment of £32.5k
8 games were picked for single camera on BBC digital and got £12.5k

22 games were for clubs streaming and no fees.

Trying to figure out the other 2.

jjljks
Posts: 2037
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:03 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:27 pm
Anybody else getting chopped off just before the end of the game?
Yes but it just added to the tension. Not blaming the radio team as they must have been jumping too

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:10 pm

What a fantastic day! What a brilliant manager, playing squad and set of fans we have! Love it!!!

Does anybody know if there'll be any match highlights on the tele? I recall AA appearing in the studio with Kilbane and Dublin after Walsall last year. Had a look and can only find the usual MOTD on tonight.

curried Quaker
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by curried Quaker » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:13 pm

Local Swindon newspapers reporting that after we got the second goal we were never in any trouble and saw the game out easily. Swindon never in it in the later stages.
Apparently Nicky Hunt ruled supreme and stifled any threat that came his way.

bga
Posts: 1570
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by bga » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:10 pm
What a fantastic day! What a brilliant manager, playing squad and set of fans we have! Love it!!!

Does anybody know if there'll be any match highlights on the tele? I recall AA appearing in the studio with Kilbane and Dublin after Walsall last year. Had a look and can only find the usual MOTD on tonight.
Yes BBC 2 tomorrow 5.30 I think.

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:28 pm

TKOA wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:11 pm

PS: Marine at home in the next round please. Their lads not being able to train for the next 3 weeks at least will be very tough on them.
I think any non-elite team can continue to train while they remain in the FA Cup.

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:43 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:16 pm
Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:10 pm
What a fantastic day! What a brilliant manager, playing squad and set of fans we have! Love it!!!

Does anybody know if there'll be any match highlights on the tele? I recall AA appearing in the studio with Kilbane and Dublin after Walsall last year. Had a look and can only find the usual MOTD on tonight.
Yes BBC 2 tomorrow 5.30 I think.
Thanks :thumbup:

lo36789
Posts: 8946
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Swindon away

Post by lo36789 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:44 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:28 pm
TKOA wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:11 pm

PS: Marine at home in the next round please. Their lads not being able to train for the next 3 weeks at least will be very tough on them.
I think any non-elite team can continue to train while they remain in the FA Cup.
Not confirmed yet. They were allowed to train for this weekends game as an exception but beyond that nothing has been agreed.

lo36789
Posts: 8946
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Swindon away

Post by lo36789 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:16 pm
Or Marine or Canvey Island to, theoretically, give us an easier chance of making Round 3.
I would be happy with either tbh but this is appealing right now especially as those clubs next fixture is the second round.

Has to be a huge advantage, still a potential banana skin but what an opportunity to get into the third round. I suspect it would be on the red button anyway regardless.

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Not confirmed yet. They were allowed to train for this weekends game as an exception but beyond that nothing has been agreed.
Ah, OK.

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:17 pm

Any one know how many streamed the match today? Hopefully we’ll get a few thousand out of it.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:34 pm

That’s a 1 from me

Darlopartisan
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Don’t know but apparently we get some pennies from stream

Darlopartisan
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Don’t know but apparently we get some pennies from stream :thumbup:

Darlopartisan
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:46 pm

So , how much have gained money wise from the cup run so far? Anyone??

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:50 pm

£35,347 in prize money with a further £8,500 guaranteed from the next round (losers fee). £43,847 in total.

Darlo_CR
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:54 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:50 pm
£35,347 in prize money with a further £8,500 guaranteed from the next round (losers fee). £43,847 in total.
In addition to that if we get TV coverage I believe the sum is £75,000 split between the two clubs.

jjljks
Posts: 2037
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:56 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:50 pm
£35,347 in prize money with a further £8,500 guaranteed from the next round (losers fee). £43,847 in total.
minimum ...so far!

Darlopartisan
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:05 pm

So we are doing ok , 👍🤩🌟🍰💰❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧Enough .

Poppy , miss you

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:26 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:54 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:50 pm
£35,347 in prize money with a further £8,500 guaranteed from the next round (losers fee). £43,847 in total.
In addition to that if we get TV coverage I believe the sum is £75,000 split between the two clubs.
I think it’s half the fee this year at £32,500 per club for a match broadcast live on BBC/BT Sport etc. If it’s streamed on a platform (i.e. BBC iPlayer or Red Button) then it is £12,500 per club (with the caveat you cannot access the steam via Quaker TV or iFollow or another club’s streaming method).

We *only* received £32,500 for the Walsall game last season which was broadcast live on BT Sport because it was a replay, but we also had a portion of the gate receipts from both ties plus commercial income.

I would like to think that if our match was chosen for a platform stream (i.e. £12,500 per club), then us fans will rally around and also donate the £7.99 to the club that we would have otherwise paid. I’m not being ungrateful or disrespectful but £12,500 is not a great deal when you consider no streaming income or gate & commercial revenue.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mister e
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Mister e » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:51 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:37 pm
bga wrote:Anyone......when did we last beat a team 3 Divisions above us in the FA Cup?
Chelsea?
Three years before I was born as Leona Lewis sang I've waited a lifetime for a moment like this and when it happens it's stolen by a germ unbelievable. Also hope we avoid Sunderland's conquerors in the next round now that Nigel Clough is at the helm.

Yarblockos
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:03 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:26 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:54 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:50 pm
£35,347 in prize money with a further £8,500 guaranteed from the next round (losers fee). £43,847 in total.
In addition to that if we get TV coverage I believe the sum is £75,000 split between the two clubs.
I think it’s half the fee this year at £32,500 per club for a match broadcast live on BBC/BT Sport etc. If it’s streamed on a platform (i.e. BBC iPlayer or Red Button) then it is £12,500 per club (with the caveat you cannot access the steam via Quaker TV or iFollow or another club’s streaming method).

We *only* received £32,500 for the Walsall game last season which was broadcast live on BT Sport because it was a replay, but we also had a portion of the gate receipts from both ties plus commercial income.

I would like to think that if our match was chosen for a platform stream (i.e. £12,500 per club), then us fans will rally around and also donate the £7.99 to the club we would have paid. I’m not being grateful or disrespectful but £12,500 is not a great deal when you consider no streaming income or gate & commercial revenue.
So if we are chosen for streaming on the red button we'll actually get less money than we would if we were not chosen? Imagine us drawing Man Utd in the third round, BBC choose to show it live and pay us £75000, if they choose not to show it we get £1m from streaming!

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13143
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by divas » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:34 am

Yeah R3 is where it’s really going to hurt the smaller clubs who draw the big clubs financially compared to previous seasons, the money just won’t be there this time around. Even if it is available on PPV, which seems unlikely the further we go due to what’s happening with PL games now being broadcast free again, I can’t see fans of the bigger teams paying for the game after the whole £14.99 fiasco

EDJOHNS
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:20 am

divas wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:34 am
Yeah R3 is where it’s really going to hurt the smaller clubs who draw the big clubs financially compared to previous seasons, the money just won’t be there this time around. Even if it is available on PPV, which seems unlikely the further we go due to what’s happening with PL games now being broadcast free again, I can’t see fans of the bigger teams paying for the game after the whole £14.99 fiasco
Surely that depends on the price?
As I understand it people are not complaining about paying. Just how much. I can't see anyone refusing to pay what we charge, (so long as we do not try a Waste Auckland).

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:49 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:03 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:26 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:54 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:50 pm
£35,347 in prize money with a further £8,500 guaranteed from the next round (losers fee). £43,847 in total.
In addition to that if we get TV coverage I believe the sum is £75,000 split between the two clubs.
I think it’s half the fee this year at £32,500 per club for a match broadcast live on BBC/BT Sport etc. If it’s streamed on a platform (i.e. BBC iPlayer or Red Button) then it is £12,500 per club (with the caveat you cannot access the steam via Quaker TV or iFollow or another club’s streaming method).

We *only* received £32,500 for the Walsall game last season which was broadcast live on BT Sport because it was a replay, but we also had a portion of the gate receipts from both ties plus commercial income.

I would like to think that if our match was chosen for a platform stream (i.e. £12,500 per club), then us fans will rally around and also donate the £7.99 to the club we would have paid. I’m not being grateful or disrespectful but £12,500 is not a great deal when you consider no streaming income or gate & commercial revenue.
So if we are chosen for streaming on the red button we'll actually get less money than we would if we were not chosen? Imagine us drawing Man Utd in the third round, BBC choose to show it live and pay us £75000, if they choose not to show it we get £1m from streaming!
I think we need to try & embrace it. If we’re picked for coverage in Round 2 (or even Round 3) then I’d like to think there will be some donations made to the club (of which we will retain the full 100% rather than 40%/50% we would have retained if gate receipts were split minus VAT).

A Bradford City fan raised £6k for Tonbridge Angels to offset some of the gate receipts they would have received.

The games would have been played differently if we had fans in. There would have been no guarantees we would have reached this far under normal circumstances so I’m trying not to focus on “what might have been”. We’ve done brilliantly so far.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2122
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:55 am

Some ball park figures here.
Let's say we made 4k for our 3 home games in the FA Cup as a minimum including 20/20 and programmes, that's 12k. Hopefully if we got a couple of thousand streaming yesterday being another 8k, then probably so far we'll have made around 55-60k. Worst case scenario we'll have made about 75k from the cup run if knocked out in the next round, possibly even more.
2 ways to look at it:
1. What an absolute shame we've had the cup run from heaven when none of us could be there and we'd have made a lot more money.
OR 2. We've had a cup run and made this money exactly the perfect time that we needed it, regardless of how much less it was than normal.

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1877
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:55 am

I remember my lad being unimpressed with Campbell at Altrincham and I was doing the old git thing "give him a chance" and up he popped with that brilliant equaliser! Yesterday he was extolling his virtues but the whole team stepped up. They worked so hard in every area of the pitch but I think Saltmer deserves a special shout for some excellent saves and some of the best time wasting ever. Over the game we matched Swindon and the monies we're getting from this run are an added bonus. I thought the commentary and filming was excellent and very fair. Looking forward to tonight's draw and watching the next round in our social bubble.

olrad
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by olrad » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:37 am

DBTS.... I know we’re a bit behind up north , if you find out who we get “ tonight “ Can you let us all know as we don’t find out until Monday :wave: :wave:

JE93
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Swindon away

Post by JE93 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:39 am

That was a proper team performance. Needless to say we couldn't have won that game last season, we didn't have the strength up top or the quality and leadership across the back line to see that game out. For that Armstrong deserves lots of credit, he marked out exactly what we needed from last season and has brought in the likes of Hunt and Charman who have really added to the team.

Every single one of them deserves huge credit but for me Hunt, Wheatley, Campbell and Charman were excellent yesterday. Hunt marshalled the back line, Wheatley snapped into his tackles, Campbell kept possession well and took the chances that won us the game. Charman, cant praise his performance enough, strength to hold off defenders and retain possession, power to run and and run past people, gave their 2 CB's an absolutely torrid time and ran himself into the ground all game.

So proud of this team and what Armstrong is building. Looking forward to see who we get in the next round. Will surely have a good chance of being on telly and anyone at home gives us another chance of an upset.

Post Reply