David Corner story

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
Darlo_lad
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

David Corner story

Post by Darlo_lad » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:44 pm

From the guardian. A good read. Didn't realise he'd taken so much stick at Sunderland.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -cup-final

biccynana
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:44 pm
From the guardian. A good read. Didn't realise he'd taken so much stick at Sunderland.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -cup-final
Yeah, it is a good read. There were four players who went on to play for and/or manage DFC in that Sunderland side (Pickering, Bennett, Corner, Hodgy). Got to be a record I'd have thought: the most DFC-related players to have played at Wembley in the same game (excluding DFC's own appearances of course :lol: ).

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:49 am

there really are some absolute fannies among the general public. really enjoyed watching Dave Corner play for us - good solid defender

biccynana
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by biccynana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:49 am
there really are some absolute fannies among the general public. really enjoyed watching Dave Corner play for us - good solid defender
He was superb in our GMVC season, missed just one league game and weighed in with 9 or 10 league goals (only two of which were pens) making him our third highest scorer that season - not bad for a CH.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13143
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by divas » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:13 pm

9 in the league inc 2 pens
7 in the cup inc 2 pens

biccynana
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by biccynana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:52 pm

divas wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:13 pm
9 in the league inc 2 pens
7 in the cup inc 2 pens
You been looking at your GMVC limited edition souvenir booklet too, divas? ;)

Corner played more games than anyone else that season - 53 across all competitions.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13143
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by divas » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:51 pm

biccynana wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:52 pm
divas wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:13 pm
9 in the league inc 2 pens
7 in the cup inc 2 pens
You been looking at your GMVC limited edition souvenir booklet too, divas? ;)

Corner played more games than anyone else that season - 53 across all competitions.
:lol: :lol:

Had the Cheltenham programme to hand (although i have got the souvenir programme somewhere) - so actually it could be 10 goals if he scored in that game or the Kidderminster game. If my memory serves me we put 4 or 5 past Cheltenham that day.

biccynana
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by biccynana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:08 pm

divas wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:51 pm
biccynana wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:52 pm
divas wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:13 pm
9 in the league inc 2 pens
7 in the cup inc 2 pens
You been looking at your GMVC limited edition souvenir booklet too, divas? ;)

Corner played more games than anyone else that season - 53 across all competitions.
:lol: :lol:

Had the Cheltenham programme to hand (although i have got the souvenir programme somewhere) - so actually it could be 10 goals if he scored in that game or the Kidderminster game. If my memory serves me we put 4 or 5 past Cheltenham that day.
The reason I said 9 or 10 league goals is because the table of players' apps and goals gives DC 10 league goals, but there are only 9 marked against his name in the match-by-match full details (line up, scorers etc). He didn't score against Chelt or Kiddie though. He'd scored against Stafford and Telford in the two games preceding Chelt.

I was at that Chelt game too, along with 5524 others (our biggest home gate of the season). 5-1. Probably the best DFC performance I've ever seen.

Darlo_lad
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: David Corner story

Post by Darlo_lad » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:31 pm

biccynana wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:08 pm
divas wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:51 pm
biccynana wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:52 pm
divas wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:13 pm
9 in the league inc 2 pens
7 in the cup inc 2 pens
You been looking at your GMVC limited edition souvenir booklet too, divas? ;)

Corner played more games than anyone else that season - 53 across all competitions.
:lol: :lol:

Had the Cheltenham programme to hand (although i have got the souvenir programme somewhere) - so actually it could be 10 goals if he scored in that game or the Kidderminster game. If my memory serves me we put 4 or 5 past Cheltenham that day.
The reason I said 9 or 10 league goals is because the table of players' apps and goals gives DC 10 league goals, but there are only 9 marked against his name in the match-by-match full details (line up, scorers etc). He didn't score against Chelt or Kiddie though. He'd scored against Stafford and Telford in the two games preceding Chelt.

I was at that Chelt game too, along with 5524 others (our biggest home gate of the season). 5-1. Probably the best DFC performance I've ever seen.
Was a cracking game. Seem to remember Toman chipping the keeper to score, then later Kevin Smith laughing as he got some stick from a bloke in the crowd when we were already 5-1 up

Post Reply