Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

FozzQuaker
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by FozzQuaker » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 pm


JE93 wrote:
FozzQuaker wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:13 pm
JE93 wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:40 pm
Best team comfortable winners, we have been poor tonight. Love what AA is doing but we do
lack physicality when faced with a strong well organised team who press all game long. Fitter and stronger all over the park unfortunately. Type of team that always do well in this division.
Tbf they have just had 10 days off. So I'm not surprised they look very fresh and fit.

Its been a bit of a tired performance. We've panicked and put the ball forward too early and bypassed our midfield. Admittedly despite that their Keeper has has to make two good saves from Reid and Campbell. They came and got in our faces made some good fouls to disrupt us and transitioned the ball the the wide areas really quickly. Slightly disappointed we didn't go after their carded players. Some of them looked like they could easily have been tricked into another foul and put themselves in a difficult position.

Think Armstrong got the subs bench wrong tonight. Would have Had Levi on there especially after the shift Charmam put in on Saturday. No complaints about the result they've been the better team on the night and took their first goal very well.

More than anything I hope Hunt is alright. To see any play down for this length of time is never good. Quick recovery Nicky.
What happened, with everything going on in my life at the moment, l forgot we were playing till I got a notification that the match had been abandoned

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Was a coming together of 2 or 3 players with the ball in the air in the lead up to Boston's second goal. Nicky Hunt ended up in the floor not moving. Physio's of both clubs on the pitch quickly and seemed to be holding his neck and subsequently an ambulance was called.
Not good...Not good at all
Old Git wrote:Nicky Hunt’s welfare is the paramount concern here.
For the record I think Boston should be awarded the game 2-0 and the 3 points.
The result is not important and the mans health is priority number 1, but I agree, give Boston the 2-0 win and 3 points...

I wish Nicky Hunt a speedy recovery


Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Makka Pakka
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:30 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:28 pm
Makka Pakka wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:25 pm
Old Git wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:22 pm
Nicky Hunt’s welfare is the paramount concern here.
For the record I think Boston should be awarded the game 2-0 and the 3 points.
Can't argue with that, might have felt different if there was one in it but 2 goals in 4 minutes with 10 men was unlikely.
Not sure the league will take into account how we were playing. Plus the ref should’ve stopped the game before the second goal. Usually the game would be replayed but with COVID they might not want to.
I was saying how I felt not proposing the league would base a judgement on it. There is nothing to suggest the ref should have stopped the game, that's nonsense.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

darlobaz791
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by darlobaz791 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Ambulance just arriving at 1045pm according to Scott.

biccynana
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by biccynana » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Update on the official website. Nicky was left unconscious after the incident and is now at hospital.

H1987
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:37 am

The result doesn’t matter at all. Give Boston the win, they deserve it anyway. The only thing that matters is health. I hope we hear something positive in the morning.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2123
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am

Some good and bad stories from last night re: Boston. I live in Lincolnshire so know what was going on on the radio, even though I was watching the live stream and at work today some of my mates who listenend on the radio were talking about it. By all accounts their players were exemplary. However, their secretary was simply bothered about getting off home and moaning about that, and Craig Elliot clashed with a number of our management. You could see from the live stream that he was trying to apologise to AA after about 20 minutes but AA wanted none of it. He then tried to do the same to Melvin Minter and he was the same. I don't know what was said, but on Quaker TV the guys were saying that our management were telling some of the Boston bench to wind their necks in for their behaviour during the incident.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am

First of all I hope Hunt is OK.
Secondly I think the result should stand and we move on.
We were up against a well drilled side today and we couldn't cope with their high press and ended up pumping long balls forward - when Charman went off the ball just didnt stick.
My only gripe with Boston was that there was a lot of cynical fouling - the worst one being on Charman. They had obviously thought he was the biggest threat and were constantly fouling him, and eventually he went off injured.
Another gripe is the amount of corner kicks we gave away - we did very well defending them considering they had a lot of players above 6 foot.
We move on, Boston will be up there at the end of the season and I would be surprised if they are not in the top four at the finish.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlogramps
Posts: 5262
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:10 am

Some positive news on Hunt by the sounds of it.

Marc Iles, journalist for the Bolton News, is tweeting that family and friends say he’s left hospital with no lasting injuries.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11903
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:14 am

Darlogramps wrote:Some positive news on Hunt by the sounds of it.

Marc Iles, journalist for the Bolton News, is tweeting that family and friends say he’s left hospital with no lasting injuries.
That's great news. It sounds like the right precautions were taken, let's hope he's back playing again soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 am

Their manager seems to reflect the way they play, took no prisoners, lots of niggly fouling,3 booked and obviously targeted Charman as a major threat and gave him a lot of stick.No complaints about the result as they were the better side on the night and had obviously done their homework on our style of play. We simply had little time on the ball to get our passing game going, but their management team did come across as being a noisy, feisty bunch which was mentioned on Quaker tv god knows how many times.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:26 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Some positive news on Hunt by the sounds of it.

Marc Iles, journalist for the Bolton News, is tweeting that family and friends say he’s left hospital with no lasting injuries.
That's great news. It sounds like the right precautions were taken, let's hope he's back playing again soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
If true that is a massive relief.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Git
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:30 am

Great news Nicky Hunt has been discharged from hospital and is resting at home with his family.

bga
Posts: 1570
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by bga » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:40 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 am
Their manager seems to reflect the way they play, took no prisoners, lots of niggly fouling,3 booked and obviously targeted Charman as a major threat and gave him a lot of stick.No complaints about the result as they were the better side on the night and had obviously done their homework on our style of play. We simply had little time on the ball to get our passing game going, but their management team did come across as being a noisy, feisty bunch which was mentioned on Quaker tv god knows how many times.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Always amuses me slightly when people write the other team have "done their homework on us" as that also implies we have not worked out how they might try and play us! Anyway I think we all agree we were second best across the field last night and that probably applies to our preparation (homework) as well!

lo36789
Posts: 8952
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:41 am

Great news on Hunt. Boston deserve the win I think it was pure misfortune that they didn't get it on the night. If roles were reversed we would be wanting the win - would stop short of saying we would expect it mind.

User avatar
aveda
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by aveda » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 am

I just think we got it wrong from the start last night, trying to accommodate bringing Maguire into the side. If we wanted to give him a start then Charman or Campbell should have been rested and on the bench, and Holness or Hatfield brought in. We gave Wheatley way too much to do on his own in midfield and got overrun.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4619
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:30 am

Boston - Dirty Frackers !
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

H1987
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:08 am

aveda wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 am
I just think we got it wrong from the start last night, trying to accommodate bringing Maguire into the side. If we wanted to give him a start then Charman or Campbell should have been rested and on the bench, and Holness or Hatfield brought in. We gave Wheatley way too much to do on his own in midfield and got overrun.
Very much agree with this. I think last night was a rare tactical blunder. I commented before the game it was a recipe to either get beat comfortably or to win handsomely. I think perhaps Aluns desire to win this one actually cost us, a more pragmatic approach would have been best.

Aside from this, wonderful news about Nicky Hunt. I’d assume that he does, at the very least, have a concussion and some bruising, but it’s a huge relief he’s been cleared of serious injury. Not a great advertisement for our overburdened health service that an ambulance took so long though. You’d assume they’d been told that it was a neck / head injury and that he was unconscious... As for the result, I hope the FA just see sense with this one rather than attempting to replay anything. I don’t know what the rules suggest but Boston should be awarded it.

tdk1
Posts: 2110
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by tdk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am

I suppose you'd hope that the FA has a hard and fast rule that takes any decision out of clubs' hands.

lo36789
Posts: 8952
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:04 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
I suppose you'd hope that the FA has a hard and fast rule that takes any decision out of clubs' hands.
It's actually nothing to do with the FA.

H1987
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:06 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
I suppose you'd hope that the FA has a hard and fast rule that takes any decision out of clubs' hands.
You'd hope they've come up with something mindful of the circumstances of the game etc. It'll be down to the league I think, and I bet they have a one size fits all rule.... and I bet it's a stupid one.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2123
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:06 pm

That's the best we could have hoped for. At 10.00 last night it was not looking good and it was a horrible 12 hours or so waiting for news.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6285
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:56 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:28 pm
Plus the ref should’ve stopped the game before the second goal.
Whilst the ref has a duty to try and let the game flow he hardly gave the incident a glance. When two players collide it should be more than just a glance, especially when one is holding his head. The ref should have taken more notice rather than just follow the play. If he had taken more notice he would have been expected to stop play immediately.

Old Git
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 pm

aveda wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 am
I just think we got it wrong from the start last night, trying to accommodate bringing Maguire into the side. If we wanted to give him a start then Charman or Campbell should have been rested and on the bench, and Holness or Hatfield brought in. We gave Wheatley way too much to do on his own in midfield and got overrun.
Spot on assessment. We changed our shape to accommodate Maguire and it failed miserably. Fully expected changes at half time and thought Maguire and Reid would be replaced by Hatfield and Rivers with Campbell moving to a more central position.
Also agree that Charman and Campbell is currently our main strike force and Maguire should have been used to replace one or other possibility from the bench. Playing Wheatley with Reid in midfield was leaving us too light in the middle of the park. Assuming Hunt will not be playing for a while I would like to see Reid slot in to central defence which for me is where he can be most effective. We have Hatfield Holness and Atkinson who can play alongside Wheatley to bolster the midfield.
I was criticised during preseason for expressing doubts about Saltmer and no doubt he is a good shot stopper . He can’t help being on the small side for a keeper but he needs to do a lot of work on crosses as it looks his weakness at the present. I know he is only young and inexperienced but as we have Minter on loan surely it is worth having a look at him on Saturday.

MB86DFC
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 pm
aveda wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 am
I just think we got it wrong from the start last night, trying to accommodate bringing Maguire into the side. If we wanted to give him a start then Charman or Campbell should have been rested and on the bench, and Holness or Hatfield brought in. We gave Wheatley way too much to do on his own in midfield and got overrun.
Spot on assessment. We changed our shape to accommodate Maguire and it failed miserably. Fully expected changes at half time and thought Maguire and Reid would be replaced by Hatfield and Rivers with Campbell moving to a more central position.
Also agree that Charman and Campbell is currently our main strike force and Maguire should have been used to replace one or other possibility from the bench. Playing Wheatley with Reid in midfield was leaving us too light in the middle of the park. Assuming Hunt will not be playing for a while I would like to see Reid slot in to central defence which for me is where he can be most effective. We have Hatfield Holness and Atkinson who can play alongside Wheatley to bolster the midfield.
I was criticised during preseason for expressing doubts about Saltmer and no doubt he is a good shot stopper . He can’t help being on the small side for a keeper but he needs to do a lot of work on crosses as it looks his weakness at the present. I know he is only young and inexperienced but as we have Minter on loan surely it is worth having a look at him on Saturday.
Saltmer has done nothing wrong all season and definitely shouldn’t be dropped. If Hunt is out for a few games the last thing you want to do is introduce a new keeper to a new central defensive pairing.

Old Git
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Did you watch the match last night?

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:24 pm

For the game against Telford, I would go with Laing alongside Storey, Sousa playing an attacking midfield role with Hatfield and Wheatley and a front 3 of Cams ,Charman and Rivers. Would also like Minter given a chance as Saltmer, although being a very good shot stopper, doesn't look great on crosses.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


MB86DFC
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm
Did you watch the match last night?
Yep, and I didn’t see anything of concern. nothing warranting trying a brand new keeper anyway

Old Git
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:35 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm
Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm
Did you watch the match last night?
Yep, and I didn’t see anything of concern. nothing warranting trying a brand new keeper anyway
Fair enough you don’t have to agree.

comeondarlo
Posts: 2673
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:35 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm
Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm
Did you watch the match last night?
Yep, and I didn’t see anything of concern. nothing warranting trying a brand new keeper anyway
Fair enough you don’t have to agree.
I agree with you Old Git. I’ve never been so certain since watching David Knight against Leeds about 10 years ago.
Saltmer’s weakness’s were there for all to see last night, other teams will play on them, we need a new keeper!

quakersam
Posts: 4780
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton

Re: Darlo v Boston Match Thread

Post by quakersam » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Nothing like writing players off so soon into a season is there...he’s 21 year old and still has things to learn, don’t remember him being weak on crosses at Swindon. Give them 10/15 games before writing them off eh
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Post Reply