EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:23 pm

As the title suggests till the end of the season. Not sure I would like this to apply to our league. To me changing effectively half the team becomes a bit like those pre season friendlies too much disruption for me. However we live in uncertain times and have to protect the players. What do others think?

spen666
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by spen666 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:45 pm

If teams are allowed more subs, then inevitably they will need bigger squads, which means less players available as you go down the pyramid.

Thus the standard lower down the pyramid decreases and costs to clubs increase as they have to have bigger squads.


Would be good if we have 5 subs, if say 2 have to be under say 23 or 21 to encourage clubs to give younger players experience

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:45 pm
If teams are allowed more subs, then inevitably they will need bigger squads, which means less players available as you go down the pyramid.

Thus the standard lower down the pyramid decreases and costs to clubs increase as they have to have bigger squads.


Would be good if we have 5 subs, if say 2 have to be under say 23 or 21 to encourage clubs to give younger players experience
Not necessarily. Just because a club is allowed to make more substitutions doesn’t mean they have to fill out their squads to comply. It isn’t mandatory to even name additional players in the match-day squad, let alone utilise them.

It might also give some players a chance that wouldn’t have normally made the 16-man squad.

The biggest problem in question is player welfare. They’re dropping like flies with muscle injuries from the Premier League to the National League. The schedule is hectic and damaging.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm

I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?

Quakers83
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Quakers83 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:54 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.
So would you favour 5 subs as a possible mitigation against such injuries?

Old Git
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:08 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.
Holness has hardly been overworked recently though has he.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:19 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:08 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.
Holness has hardly been overworked recently though has he.

So "underworked" may have caused the injury!

Quakers83
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Quakers83 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:54 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.
So would you favour 5 subs as a possible mitigation against such injuries?
Yes, definitely. Especially taking into account we have at least eight more games before the end of December.

lo36789
Posts: 8921
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:59 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm
spen666 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:45 pm
If teams are allowed more subs, then inevitably they will need bigger squads, which means less players available as you go down the pyramid.

Thus the standard lower down the pyramid decreases and costs to clubs increase as they have to have bigger squads.


Would be good if we have 5 subs, if say 2 have to be under say 23 or 21 to encourage clubs to give younger players experience
Not necessarily. Just because a club is allowed to make more substitutions doesn’t mean they have to fill out their squads to comply. It isn’t mandatory to even name additional players in the match-day squad, let alone utilise them.

It might also give some players a chance that wouldn’t have normally made the 16-man squad.

The biggest problem in question is player welfare. They’re dropping like flies with muscle injuries from the Premier League to the National League. The schedule is hectic and damaging.
That is part of the issue as well though. It basically benefits those clubs massively with the resources to carry more players.

Things are of course weighted in the favour of the clubs with more resources anyway, this just increases it.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:27 am

How many seconds is a Ref supposed to add on per substitute, is it 90 seconds? If correct that means extending matches by potentially 15-minutes. Football can already be a bit too stop start this would just increase it. As I said in my opening Post players welfare is important but as a spectator sport we need to balance this with entertainment otherwise support dimish. I think 3 substitutes is enough.

lo36789
Posts: 8921
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am

Well depends on how long it takes. As a guide though 30 seconds per sub.

It's 5 subs from 3 stoppages fwiw so there can't be 10 stoppages for subs during a game. Admittedly double subs tend to take a little longer but not double the time.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:15 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am
Well depends on how long it takes. As a guide though 30 seconds per sub.

It's 5 subs from 3 stoppages fwiw so there can't be 10 stoppages for subs during a game. Admittedly double subs tend to take a little longer but not double the time.
Ok thanks I didn't know that.

eddie-rowles
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:08 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.
Holness has hardly been overworked recently though has he.
Believe he tweaked his hamstring letting fly with long range shot nothing to do with overworked or underworked s*** happens

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:59 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm
spen666 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:45 pm
If teams are allowed more subs, then inevitably they will need bigger squads, which means less players available as you go down the pyramid.

Thus the standard lower down the pyramid decreases and costs to clubs increase as they have to have bigger squads.


Would be good if we have 5 subs, if say 2 have to be under say 23 or 21 to encourage clubs to give younger players experience
Not necessarily. Just because a club is allowed to make more substitutions doesn’t mean they have to fill out their squads to comply. It isn’t mandatory to even name additional players in the match-day squad, let alone utilise them.

It might also give some players a chance that wouldn’t have normally made the 16-man squad.

The biggest problem in question is player welfare. They’re dropping like flies with muscle injuries from the Premier League to the National League. The schedule is hectic and damaging.
That is part of the issue as well though. It basically benefits those clubs massively with the resources to carry more players.

Things are of course weighted in the favour of the clubs with more resources anyway, this just increases it.
Players’ welfare should be paramount above other factors (i.e. teams with more resources benefitting). That is just a bi-product of addressing the real issue.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:08 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.
Holness has hardly been overworked recently though has he.
Maybe not, but Liddle has. The same player who has played the most minutes for us this season goes down injured off the ball with a hamstring injury. Not surprised.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:08 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm
bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm
I doubt that anyone has ever pulled a muscle by walking. But aren't you just as likely to get a muscle injury in training as you are playing a proper match? So I don't know whether schedule of fixtures is totally responsible for such injuries. Holness for example was that a muscle injury last night?
No, because a match has much more intensity than a training session.

With Holness, it looked like a muscle injury. Having 11 games in six weeks after a six month lay off has probably contributed significantly to muscle injuries.
Holness has hardly been overworked recently though has he.
Maybe not, but Liddle has. The same player who has played the most minutes for us this season goes down injured off the ball with a hamstring injury. Not surprised.
Using your logic then you must be "surprised" by the injuries to Hatfield and Holness after so few matches. I think the point is that injuries can happen at any time and there's no overwhelming evidence (is there?) to prove that more minutes played over a particular period equals more chance of getting particular types of injury?

Darlogramps
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:59 pm

bga wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 pm
Using your logic then you must be "surprised" by the injuries to Hatfield and Holness after so few matches. I think the point is that injuries can happen at any time and there's no overwhelming evidence (is there?) to prove that more minutes played over a particular period equals more chance of getting particular types of injury?
It's not so much the amount of minutes played. More the lack of proper recovery time. If you're playing Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday, obviously there's less chance to recover, to do proper conditioning work to aid that recovery, particularly as we're part-time and not a professional club with a huge medical department. It's the same reasoning as to why injuries go up over the Christmas players. Tired muscles and limbs don't get the time to recover, so break down (for this reason alone, I find the Christmas scheduling in the English leagues borderline negligent - and all because of tradition and money! But that's a separate tangent).

I can only find PL stats, but even there, with the top class medical facilities they have, there's been a 16% increase in muscle injuries this season. So given there's been a lack of pre-season and more matches squeezed into a shorter timeframe across all the leagues, that explains the increase in injuries.
https://www.premierinjuries.com/

So the lack of recovery time and busy schedule would actually explain Holness and Hatfield picking up injuries. That’s why I disagree with those saying “Such and such has hardly been overworked” and “s*** happens”. Well actually, in this instance it doesn’t.

Now the obvious counter would be “Holness didn’t play v Telford so had more recovery time”. But let’s remember he hasn’t played as many matches, so hasn’t been able to build up the match fitness for his muscles to be able to deal with the additional exertion. Had he had a full pre-season, then perhaps it would have been a different story.

But the simple, scientifically-proven fact, is more matches and less recovery time means injuries are more likely.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Gramps understand your last paragraph and seens difficult to argue against that so point proven. Don't fully understand your paragraph about possible cause of Hatfield and Holness injuries picking because of "lack of recovery time" and a busy schedule because didn't Hatfield injury occur 3rd game of the season was it? You could have argue that with three games in a short period of time but that applied to all the squad at that point in time.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 pm

bga wrote:Gramps understand your last paragraph and seens difficult to argue against that so point proven. Don't fully understand your paragraph about possible cause of Hatfield and Holness injuries picking because of "lack of recovery time" and a busy schedule because didn't Hatfield injury occur 3rd game of the season was it? You could have argue that with three games in a short period of time but that applied to all the squad at that point in time.
Firstly, I’m no physiotherapist or medical expert (I doubt any of us are), so I can’t say for definite why Hatfield got injured.

If I’m right in thinking he went off after less than a minute too, so potentially his body wasn’t fully warmed up yet, combined with it being the third “proper” match of the season could explain it. Of course not all muscle injuries will be down to fatigue. Some will happen as a result of being caught badly, or a bad extension of the leg, or whatever. That may have been the case there, I’ll let the Darlo physio answer that one.

But I think the point myself and DarloFan97 are making is that the intensive early schedule and lack of recovery time is what’s contributing to the wider increase in injuries, particularly muscle injuries, across the leagues.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 pm

A physio on Sky Sports news the other night confirmed exactly what you've just said.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:58 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 pm
A physio on Sky Sports news the other night confirmed exactly what you've just said.
Point taken. Different sport I know but the Women's Premier rugby union has reduced matches from 40 minutes to 35 minutes each half to help avoid burn out. Anyone fancy 40 minutes each way!

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 pm
bga wrote:Gramps understand your last paragraph and seens difficult to argue against that so point proven. Don't fully understand your paragraph about possible cause of Hatfield and Holness injuries picking because of "lack of recovery time" and a busy schedule because didn't Hatfield injury occur 3rd game of the season was it? You could have argue that with three games in a short period of time but that applied to all the squad at that point in time.
Firstly, I’m no physiotherapist or medical expert (I doubt any of us are), so I can’t say for definite why Hatfield got injured.

If I’m right in thinking he went off after less than a minute too, so potentially his body wasn’t fully warmed up yet, combined with it being the third “proper” match of the season could explain it. Of course not all muscle injuries will be down to fatigue. Some will happen as a result of being caught badly, or a bad extension of the leg, or whatever. That may have been the case there, I’ll let the Darlo physio answer that one.

But I think the point myself and DarloFan97 are making is that the intensive early schedule and lack of recovery time is what’s contributing to the wider increase in injuries, particularly muscle injuries, across the leagues.
Exactly this.

It's fairly basic that more minutes played plus less recovery time will increase the likelihood of muscle injuries occurring. You don't need to be a physio to work that one out!

Our players have gone from months of doing very little (even lockdown limited exercise, classes, gyms etc) to then 13 matches in 58 days (would have been 14 if the Leamington game wasn't postponed). It's madness.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 pm
bga wrote:Gramps understand your last paragraph and seens difficult to argue against that so point proven. Don't fully understand your paragraph about possible cause of Hatfield and Holness injuries picking because of "lack of recovery time" and a busy schedule because didn't Hatfield injury occur 3rd game of the season was it? You could have argue that with three games in a short period of time but that applied to all the squad at that point in time.
Firstly, I’m no physiotherapist or medical expert (I doubt any of us are), so I can’t say for definite why Hatfield got injured.

If I’m right in thinking he went off after less than a minute too, so potentially his body wasn’t fully warmed up yet, combined with it being the third “proper” match of the season could explain it. Of course not all muscle injuries will be down to fatigue. Some will happen as a result of being caught badly, or a bad extension of the leg, or whatever. That may have been the case there, I’ll let the Darlo physio answer that one.

But I think the point myself and DarloFan97 are making is that the intensive early schedule and lack of recovery time is what’s contributing to the wider increase in injuries, particularly muscle injuries, across the leagues.
Exactly this.

It's fairly basic that more minutes played plus less recovery time will increase the likelihood of muscle injuries occurring. You don't need to be a physio to work that one out!

Our players have gone from months of doing very little (even lockdown limited exercise, classes, gyms etc) to then 13 matches in 58 days (would have been 14 if the Leamington game wasn't postponed). It's madness.
It is not the League's fault we may have (as of now) played 3 more Cup games than others by not getting knocked out in the First round. So part of the "madness" is of our own making isn't it? Without those 3 "additional" games it would be playing about once every 6 days in your 58 day period. Nice problem to have though with all the money it has brought into the Club.

jjljks
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 pm

EFL seem intent on rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. NL & NLN/NLS can hardly afford to run a 1st team let alone extend a squad to 16 travelling so this would sppear to increase financial stress & spread the physical demands on players. Why are they wasting effort on this instead of equalising the money over the entire pyramid & helping out the grassroots of the game?

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 pm

bga wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 pm
bga wrote:Gramps understand your last paragraph and seens difficult to argue against that so point proven. Don't fully understand your paragraph about possible cause of Hatfield and Holness injuries picking because of "lack of recovery time" and a busy schedule because didn't Hatfield injury occur 3rd game of the season was it? You could have argue that with three games in a short period of time but that applied to all the squad at that point in time.
Firstly, I’m no physiotherapist or medical expert (I doubt any of us are), so I can’t say for definite why Hatfield got injured.

If I’m right in thinking he went off after less than a minute too, so potentially his body wasn’t fully warmed up yet, combined with it being the third “proper” match of the season could explain it. Of course not all muscle injuries will be down to fatigue. Some will happen as a result of being caught badly, or a bad extension of the leg, or whatever. That may have been the case there, I’ll let the Darlo physio answer that one.

But I think the point myself and DarloFan97 are making is that the intensive early schedule and lack of recovery time is what’s contributing to the wider increase in injuries, particularly muscle injuries, across the leagues.
Exactly this.

It's fairly basic that more minutes played plus less recovery time will increase the likelihood of muscle injuries occurring. You don't need to be a physio to work that one out!

Our players have gone from months of doing very little (even lockdown limited exercise, classes, gyms etc) to then 13 matches in 58 days (would have been 14 if the Leamington game wasn't postponed). It's madness.
It is not the League's fault we may have (as of now) played 3 more Cup games than others by not getting knocked out in the First round. So part of the "madness" is of our own making isn't it? Without those 3 "additional" games it would be playing about once every 6 days in your 58 day period. Nice problem to have though with all the money it has brought into the Club.
No, it isn’t of our own making.

The Cambridge City FA Cup tie replaced a home match against BPA.

The Bristol Rovers FA Cup tie replaced a home match against Hereford.

The Swindon FA Cup tie replaced an away game against Brackley.

This is also not counting the league game against Leamington which was due to be played on the 17th September.

If we got knocked out of the cup in the first tie against Prescot then we would have still been scheduled to play 12 games in 57 days.

The new FA Trophy proposed round dates are also ridiculous. It’s damaging.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4508
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:08 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 pm
EFL seem intent on rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. NL & NLN/NLS can hardly afford to run a 1st team let alone extend a squad to 16 travelling so this would sppear to increase financial stress & spread the physical demands on players. Why are they wasting effort on this instead of equalising the money over the entire pyramid & helping out the grassroots of the game?
It’s a necessary step to reduce injuries and safeguard the players.

National League clubs can afford to put squads out, so I am not too sure what you are basing that assessment from (especially after today’s announcement).

lo36789
Posts: 8921
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:19 am

I am not sure what this has to do with the grassroots of the game to be honest?

Grassroots is a million miles away from where these changes are proposed and are league rules changes over anything else. This allowance has been in IFAB it is down to competitions to implement within that.

I do think people confuse the DCMS, the FA and league boards mind. Each have quite distinct responsibilities.

bga
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EFL Clubs to use up to 5 Subs

Post by bga » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:54 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 pm
bga wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 pm
bga wrote:Gramps understand your last paragraph and seens difficult to argue against that so point proven. Don't fully understand your paragraph about possible cause of Hatfield and Holness injuries picking because of "lack of recovery time" and a busy schedule because didn't Hatfield injury occur 3rd game of the season was it? You could have argue that with three games in a short period of time but that applied to all the squad at that point in time.
Firstly, I’m no physiotherapist or medical expert (I doubt any of us are), so I can’t say for definite why Hatfield got injured.

If I’m right in thinking he went off after less than a minute too, so potentially his body wasn’t fully warmed up yet, combined with it being the third “proper” match of the season could explain it. Of course not all muscle injuries will be down to fatigue. Some will happen as a result of being caught badly, or a bad extension of the leg, or whatever. That may have been the case there, I’ll let the Darlo physio answer that one.

But I think the point myself and DarloFan97 are making is that the intensive early schedule and lack of recovery time is what’s contributing to the wider increase in injuries, particularly muscle injuries, across the leagues.
Exactly this.

It's fairly basic that more minutes played plus less recovery time will increase the likelihood of muscle injuries occurring. You don't need to be a physio to work that one out!

Our players have gone from months of doing very little (even lockdown limited exercise, classes, gyms etc) to then 13 matches in 58 days (would have been 14 if the Leamington game wasn't postponed). It's madness.
It is not the League's fault we may have (as of now) played 3 more Cup games than others by not getting knocked out in the First round. So part of the "madness" is of our own making isn't it? Without those 3 "additional" games it would be playing about once every 6 days in your 58 day period. Nice problem to have though with all the money it has brought into the Club.
No, it isn’t of our own making.

The Cambridge City FA Cup tie replaced a home match against BPA.

The Bristol Rovers FA Cup tie replaced a home match against Hereford.

The Swindon FA Cup tie replaced an away game against Brackley.

This is also not counting the league game against Leamington which was due to be played on the 17th September.

If we got knocked out of the cup in the first tie against Prescot then we would have still been scheduled to play 12 games in 57 days.

The new FA Trophy proposed round dates are also ridiculous. It’s damaging.
Apologies you are correct I was never very good at maths at school that plus brain fog last night meant I overlooked the games that need to be rearranged!

Post Reply