Darlo v AFC Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:39 am

Time for a bit of redemption for the lads today against Telford. Was a weak way to lose last time out shipping some sloppy goals due to poor defending, I'm sure Laing will want to prove a point after a tough first game back against them. Need to make sure we keep Dom Mchale quiet, along with the CF from last time Jason Oswell, we were far too polite to him last game. Last time we let them play the game they wanted by conceding cheap goals. As soon as we did they could just sit back in their shape and try to close out the game. Need to make sure we don't give them the same gifts this time round, make them have to come a play and leave gaps for the likes of Sousa, Rivers and Campbell to run into.

Hard to change too much from Wednesday after a decent performance, one change would possibly be Liddle for Watson. If we can start giving Liddle some fitness back and give him 45 to 60 minutes today, then all the better going into some crowded fixtures in January and Feb. So I'd go for:

‐------------------------ Minter ‐------------------------
McMahon --- Hunt --- Laing -------- Liddle
Rivers ---- Hatfield --- Wheatley --- Sousa
------------- Charman --- Campbell ------------

Subs: Saltmer, Watson, Hedley, Holness, Hudson, O'Neill, Maguire

Lallacab
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Lallacab » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:09 am

I think he will go back to a 433 today

Minter

McMahon Hunt Laing Watson

Wheatley Hatfield Reid or Holness

Sousa Charman Campbell

I have a feeling he might go with Reid for his heading ability when defending set pieces

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by D_F_C » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:33 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:39 am
Time for a bit of redemption for the lads today against Telford. Was a weak way to lose last time out shipping some sloppy goals due to poor defending, I'm sure Laing will want to prove a point after a tough first game back against them. Need to make sure we keep Dom Mchale quiet, along with the CF from last time Jason Oswell, we were far too polite to him last game. Last time we let them play the game they wanted by conceding cheap goals. As soon as we did they could just sit back in their shape and try to close out the game. Need to make sure we don't give them the same gifts this time round, make them have to come a play and leave gaps for the likes of Sousa, Rivers and Campbell to run into.

Hard to change too much from Wednesday after a decent performance, one change would possibly be Liddle for Watson. If we can start giving Liddle some fitness back and give him 45 to 60 minutes today, then all the better going into some crowded fixtures in January and Feb. So I'd go for:

‐------------------------ Minter ‐------------------------
McMahon --- Hunt --- Laing -------- Liddle
Rivers ---- Hatfield --- Wheatley --- Sousa
------------- Charman --- Campbell ------------

Subs: Saltmer, Watson, Hedley, Holness, Hudson, O'Neill, Maguire
Don't think Oswell is playing today. Don't know if that means that they'll be a more pacey attack or not

Lallacab
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Lallacab » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:09 am
I think he will go back to a 433 today

Minter

McMahon Hunt Laing Watson

Wheatley Hatfield Reid or Holness

Sousa Charman Campbell

I have a feeling he might go with Reid for his heading ability when defending set pieces

Certainly didn’t see AA leaving Campbell out today

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by D_F_C » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:33 pm
Lallacab wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:09 am
I think he will go back to a 433 today

Minter

McMahon Hunt Laing Watson

Wheatley Hatfield Reid or Holness

Sousa Charman Campbell

I have a feeling he might go with Reid for his heading ability when defending set pieces

Certainly didn’t see AA leaving Campbell out today
Me neither. O'Neill needs to have a good game as hasn't really shown anything so far

poppyfield
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by poppyfield » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:41 pm

Campbell on the bench O'Neill starting
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlopartisan
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:00 pm

Charman not starting

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Worried about our back 4 so far.They seem to have an extra man in midfield as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Yarblockos
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:49 pm

We've been getting the ball forward a lot quicker today, means we are having less possession but it seems to be better than the slow deliberate build up that leads to teams camped behind the ball. Telford deserve to be level though.

Anyone else finding that the main camera keep switching to a blueish tinge?

50 years
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by 50 years » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:02 pm

No blueish tinge on my laptop.
Being over run in midfield and they have found it easy to find there man, not winning first or second balls. Really only 2 men in midfield and it's not working at the moment (seen that few times this season). Watson struggling to pick up his man on that side.
Confidence now may be an issue, hope Alan can sort for second half as Telford are the better team first half.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Watson nowhere near tight enough on the winger, no surprise at their goal, Holness should be on for Tyrone in midfield and they have a man extra in the centre of midfield.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Darlopartisan
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Tyrone having a poor game

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Tyrone having a poor game
AA played him out of position, Omar should have started.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Darlopartisan
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:34 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:22 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:Tyrone having a poor game
AA played him out of position, Omar should have started.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
True

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13173
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:57 pm

Penalties taking place, we're leading 2-1. Minter saves a penalty get innnnnnnnnnnn.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13173
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Hunt scores the decisive penalty, as we march on into the last 32. Great result lads.

JE93
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:08 pm

How the f*** have we progressed there. We played better in the 2-1 loss than today. Why we didn't change shape earlier to try and combat the fact we were absolutely overrun in midfield ill never know. Was screaming for a 3rd body in there.

Not one to call players out but Watson had an absolute mare today, barely got close to his man all day. I know O'Neill was in a slightly unfamiliar position, but that was poor from him, most of his second touches were tackles, and put us back under pressure by passing the ball away needlessly. Most others weren't much better. Need to have a look at ourselves before we get back into league action.

The above shouldn't take away from any praise for Minter who absolutely signed his own loan extention (if Harrogate will allow us) with that performance. And I think credit should go to Maguire aswell. Thought whenever the ball went near him he was absolutely brilliant today. Selflessly pushed the ball to Rivers for the first aswell.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by loan_star » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Maguire was outfield man of the match for me.

50 years
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by 50 years » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Having watched the York vs Spennymoor game, if we play like that today against Spennymoor we will get badly punished. Watson had a game I think he will want to forget, after being fairly consistently lately. O'Neil has played in that position last couple of times and it has not worked for him.
The substitutions were the right ones and improved position imo, and Maguire was excellent.
Some work for AA to do if we are to compete against the "pride".

jjljks
Posts: 2103
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:33 pm

Spenny failed to get through by pens so could be on a downer? Useful outing for our lads' confidence & Hatfield particularly.

bga
Posts: 1636
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by bga » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:33 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:19 pm
Maguire was outfield man of the match for me.
I agree about McGuire. Don't quite know why but they just seemed to stop attacking Watson in the second half so we got off lightly for me. O'Neil is a forward and that's where we should play him but perhaps we are under instructions from Boro to play him in a certain position as that is where they see his future?

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Penalties taking place, we're leading 2-1. Minter saves a penalty get innnnnnnnnnnn.
Or not in this case😂

joejaques
Posts: 2876
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by joejaques » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:00 pm
Charman not starting
According to DFR, Charman pulled up with a hamstring twinge in the warm up. :roll:
Image

onewayup
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by onewayup » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:44 pm

I thought we stood off Telford allowing them to run 25 -35 yards with the ball before passing to another man several times today , maybe it's because we were short in the midfield and to much space left.
Minter and Hatfield very good today ,
Surprised sousa was taken off.but alun had change something.
However a win is a win no matter how it's won .

LoidLucan
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:03 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:33 pm
Spenny failed to get through by pens so could be on a downer?
Of more concern to me at the moment is the poor seagull on top of the stand that Ben McKenna killed when taking the final penalty :oops:

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2191
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:36 pm

50 years wrote:Having watched the York vs Spennymoor game, if we play like that today against Spennymoor we will get badly punished. Watson had a game I think he will want to forget, after being fairly consistently lately. O'Neil has played in that position last couple of times and it has not worked for him.
The substitutions were the right ones and improved position imo, and Maguire was excellent.
Some work for AA to do if we are to compete against the "pride".
Agree totally with this.It was glaringly obvious we needed Omar in midfield as that is not Tyrone's position, he gave the ball away too much and is a striker end of.
Minter had a great game and AA has to get his loan extended hopefully.The space we allowed their winger was ridiculous and Telford will wonder how they have not won this game but that's more game time before The Pride hit camp
Anyway we won which is all that matters, Minter,Hatfield,Wheatley and Maguire all played well and with Liddle and Charman to come back then we are back to full strength.Not too gutted that the Codheads and the Pride are out, certainly makes for a relaxing Saturday night.
On another note, our pens were superb, the keeper was nowhere near any of them
Up the Quakers.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Old Git
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:40 pm

joejaques wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:00 pm
Charman not starting
According to DFR, Charman pulled up with a hamstring twinge in the warm up. :roll:
Hope he is going to be fit for Boxing Day. For me he holds the ball up and brings others in to play and we miss him when he is out. Maguire had a decent game but he is a slightly different type of player. At some point it would be interesting to see Charman and Maguire start together up front.
Not sure what is happening with Tyrone but surely he needs to play as a striker. He was not at his best today but for me is playing too deep. Special mention for Minter not just for his penalty saves but his overall performance was very assured today. Probably has now edged ahead of Saltmer in the pecking order but hopefully Johnny will respond well when his chance comes.

Quakerlad
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:06 pm

Well a wins a win but that was again really really poor.
Defence was shocking throughout. Watson and the two centre halves were all over the place....again. We just let them run at us and get shots off all game long.
Some blame again for AA I’m afraid. O’Neill isn’t needed and most definitely not as an attacking midfielder, his Worst game for Darlo. Why did AA start him in that position with Holness, Reid and Campbell on the bench who can all play that position naturally?
Maybe I’m the only one on here but don’t think Hatfield has had a good game yet since his Return.
On a positive, thought Minter is exactly what we need, a big dominant keeper to make up for not having that trait in our centre halves. Also can now see why McGuire is highly rated, getting fitter and was our best player by a mile.
Not a Top seven side though on recent showings.

ralphb
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by ralphb » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:10 pm

We seem to have lost the ability to play football, very poor, Watson is not a full back, we get done every time down the our left side. No pace in defence, we where given to hit and hope, with Maguire chasing lost causes.
Two in midfield doesn't work for us, we must have Holness in there.

I worry about the rest of the season and in particular against Speny, Thompson will tear us to bits

curried Quaker
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by curried Quaker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:17 pm

When is the draw for the next round?

Post Reply