Darlo v AFC Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:24 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:03 pm
jjljks wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:33 pm
Spenny failed to get through by pens so could be on a downer?
Of more concern to me at the moment is the poor seagull on top of the stand that Ben McKenna killed when taking the final penalty :oops:
Nae worries. The bird is in the next batch of pies😅

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2158
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:41 pm

Monday at 1. Wonder if It's live on Talk Sport 2? Just 1 Step 3 side in our half of draw (if it is still regionalised) which is Peterborough Sports, I think. Would take them or Kettering at home.

Old Git
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 pm

ralphb wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:10 pm
We seem to have lost the ability to play football, very poor, Watson is not a full back, we get done every time down the our left side. No pace in defence, we where given to hit and hope, with Maguire chasing lost causes.
Two in midfield doesn't work for us, we must have Holness in there.

I worry about the rest of the season and in particular against Speny, Thompson will tear us to bits
You make some valid points but I think you are a bit too negative. Watson is doing his best filling in for Liddle and for me Hunt at 37 makes up for a lack of speed by reading the game so well. We are much more than a hit and hope team and have some really skilful players such as Campbell Charman Rivers Sousa etc.
Of course we need to improve especially at home but come on there is a very long way to go this season and we can soon start to climb up the league. As for Spennymoor it will be tough but we are very capable of giving them a good game. Thommo will be right up for it but so will we and personally I would be more worried about the threat of Taylor.
The league form has been patchy but don’t forget we have won 6 out of 7 in cups making it a total of 9 wins from 14 games played in total.

Yarblockos
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:10 pm

We've played much better than that this season and lost. More direct today and less of the ball, but I prefer that to a slow build up and failing to break through a wall of defenders. Maguire was excellent, Watson really struggled and Laing is still an accident waiting to happen. Sousa barely got a touch, but we seemed to be able to create chances better than we have in home league games so far.

Regarding O'Neill, AA admited that when he brough him in it was going to be very difficult to fit all the forward players into the team. Essentially, we didn't need him, but he was available and offered to us and AA thought he was too good to turn down. Now AA is trying to fit O'Neill into the team without leaving out Maguire or Charman and it just doesn't work.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4670
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:34 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 pm
Thommo will be right up for it
Why? He left on good terms. We offered him a contract and he moved on. There was no drama on either side.

Also, last season he never looked that good, so personally I don't feel he's the one to worry about.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

bga
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by bga » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:10 pm
We've played much better than that this season and lost. More direct today and less of the ball, but I prefer that to a slow build up and failing to break through a wall of defenders. Maguire was excellent, Watson really struggled and Laing is still an accident waiting to happen. Sousa barely got a touch, but we seemed to be able to create chances better than we have in home league games so far.

Regarding O'Neill, AA admited that when he brough him in it was going to be very difficult to fit all the forward players into the team. Essentially, we didn't need him, but he was available and offered to us and AA thought he was too good to turn down. Now AA is trying to fit O'Neill into the team without leaving out Maguire or Charman and it just doesn't work.
You are right about O'Neill not the players fault but I really do think this is a bad management decision on behalf of AA unless as I have said before Boro want him to play there?

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by D_F_C » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:31 pm

I think some are giving O’Neill a bit of a east ride. If it was Reid they’d be right on him. It looked like we started with the 4-2-3-1 formation with ty the middle of the 3. He’s played there before when we had Campbell up top, but both did interchange a lot. Not seen anything from him yet and doesn’t deserve to be starting. I’m not writing this to bash him, simply stating my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:34 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 pm
Thommo will be right up for it
Why? He left on good terms. We offered him a contract and he moved on. There was no drama on either side.

Also, last season he never looked that good, so personally I don't feel he's the one to worry about.
Why do you quote 7 words completely out of context?
I went on to say that I would be more worried about Taylor.
It is surely only natural that any player going back to play against their former club wants to remind them of what they are missing.

Lallacab
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Lallacab » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:51 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:31 pm
I think some are giving O’Neill a bit of a east ride. If it was Reid they’d be right on him. It looked like we started with the 4-2-3-1 formation with ty the middle of the 3. He’s played there before when we had Campbell up top, but both did interchange a lot. Not seen anything from him yet and doesn’t deserve to be starting. I’m not writing this to bash him, simply stating my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d agree with the above , he seems poor at the moment. He seems to have stopped doing the simple things well! I’m not sure what he is being asked do to currently is much different to what he did when it was him and Campbell in the side last season

I’m not sure if it’s a lack of confidence, lack of sharpness or he’s trying too hard. For me right now he needs to try and simplify his game and work on keeping the ball as he gave it away far too much and too cheaply today

50 years
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by 50 years » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:14 pm

AA said after the game that he originally was putting O'Neil and Charmers up front but had to change it. Who knows that may have worked?

jjljks
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Let's not lose sight of the fact we are through to Round 4 after turning over a big team who beat us 2-1 last month. Bank balance gone up by another £4.5k and only a hamstring twinge for Charman ahead of the Spenny game on Boxing Day. Well done AA & the team, as we are obviously improving.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4670
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:34 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 pm
Thommo will be right up for it
Why? He left on good terms. We offered him a contract and he moved on. There was no drama on either side.

Also, last season he never looked that good, so personally I don't feel he's the one to worry about.
Why do you quote 7 words completely out of context?
I went on to say that I would be more worried about Taylor.
It is surely only natural that any player going back to play against their former club wants to remind them of what they are missing.
Sorry OldGit, I wasn't having a dig - you mentioned Thompson and I was just making the point that I'm not personally worried about him.

And that's all I was wanting to comment on. In a neat precise way.

Adios Amigo... ;)
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlofan97
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:48 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:19 pm
Let's not lose sight of the fact we are through to Round 4 after turning over a big team who beat us 2-1 last month. Bank balance gone up by another £4.5k and only a hamstring twinge for Charman ahead of the Spenny game on Boxing Day. Well done AA & the team, as we are obviously improving.
I am usually very upbeat, but anybody that watched today’s performance and can say we are “obviously improving” is simply allowing the result to blinker the overall performance.

We got away with one today, make no bones about it.

I worried when I saw the starting 11 and those worries were confirmed at half-time. We weren’t losing but couldn’t stem the flow of being overrun in the midfield.

Wheatley, Hatfield & Holness are our best midfield 3. It gives us more solidity and balance.

The case with O’Neill is fairly simplistic. He looks uncomfortable playing off the centre-forward instead of being the actual centre-forward (where he played last season with Campbell off him). His fancy footwork is a lot more effective in the opposition box than 40 yards out. He lost the ball countless times today and didn’t look great against BPA either. Centre-forward or not at all.

It’s all well and good beating Step 4 sides like Prescot Cables, Tadcaster Albion & City of Liverpool at home, but we really need to start getting a grip of the midfield at home against NLN opposition. Otherwise the signing of Holness is pointless.

Old Git
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:21 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:34 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 pm
Thommo will be right up for it
Why? He left on good terms. We offered him a contract and he moved on. There was no drama on either side.

Also, last season he never looked that good, so personally I don't feel he's the one to worry about.
Why do you quote 7 words completely out of context?
I went on to say that I would be more worried about Taylor.
It is surely only natural that any player going back to play against their former club wants to remind them of what they are missing.
Sorry OldGit, I wasn't having a dig - you mentioned Thompson and I was just making the point that I'm not personally worried about him.

And that's all I was wanting to comment on. In a neat precise way.

Adios Amigo... ;)
Fair enough. I agree Thompson is probably not the force of old but how many times do former players come back to haunt you. Hope it doesn’t happen this time 🤞

onewayup
Posts: 2031
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by onewayup » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:57 am

I thought Omar was non contract player, have we signed him, I missed it if we have, although i think we need to.

Quakerrunner
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Quakerrunner » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:53 am

Thought we were generally poor yesterday and not at our best. But a win is a win and it was good to see AA change the side around and give O'neill and Maguire a run out. I know Charman got injured in the warm up so Maguire came in. I thought Ty didn't have the best of games, but believe that if we play a simple 4-4-2 we will start to get the best out of him. Though Maguire looked sharp and dangerous every time he got the ball. He started the season slow after coming back from injury, but yesterday he showed his class with a couple of fine pieces of play.

Thought we got a bit overrun in midfield but that may be down to the fact that they played an extra man in midfield and ironically Dom McHale who ran us ragged all afternoon missed his penalty. From yesterday's showing he should be playing a few leagues above, best player on the pitch all day long.

I thought Sousa didn't get into the game yesterday and when Campbell and Holness were brought on we looked stronger. I would like to see Holness given a few games as he always drives us forward and that is what we are missing at the moment.

Finally I have to say I thought Minter was superb, he made a few brilliant saves in the first half and the crucial penalty save in the second. He was my MOTM and hopefully we can extend his loan. He commanded his box well, looked composed and some of his penalty saves were superb.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:58 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:57 am
I thought Omar was non contract player, have we signed him, I missed it if we have, although i think we need to.
You can still sign a player on non-contract terms?

We still signed him, non-contract or contracted. I don’t quite get your point.

onewayup
Posts: 2031
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by onewayup » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:03 pm

I took it as Omar had signed permanently,

Darlofan97
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:36 pm

I think you’ll be on your own with that one. :eh:

jjljks
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Quakerrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:53 am
Thought we were generally poor yesterday and not at our best. But a win is a win and it was good to see AA change the side around and give O'neill and Maguire a run out. I know Charman got injured in the warm up so Maguire came in. I thought Ty didn't have the best of games, but believe that if we play a simple 4-4-2 we will start to get the best out of him. Though Maguire looked sharp and dangerous every time he got the ball. He started the season slow after coming back from injury, but yesterday he showed his class with a couple of fine pieces of play.

Thought we got a bit overrun in midfield but that may be down to the fact that they played an extra man in midfield and ironically Dom McHale who ran us ragged all afternoon missed his penalty. From yesterday's showing he should be playing a few leagues above, best player on the pitch all day long.

I thought Sousa didn't get into the game yesterday and when Campbell and Holness were brought on we looked stronger. I would like to see Holness given a few games as he always drives us forward and that is what we are missing at the moment.

Finally I have to say I thought Minter was superb, he made a few brilliant saves in the first half and the crucial penalty save in the second. He was my MOTM and hopefully we can extend his loan. He commanded his box well, looked composed and some of his penalty saves were superb.
Absolutely spot on there. Sousa much better when running at his man, not doing Holness role of tackling back & laying off to create space. While Hatfield had his best game so far this season, by far & away Minter deserved the MOTM award for us even though McHale was best on pitch until he had his penalty saved. Dramatic irony there!

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by D_F_C » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Quakerrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:53 am
Thought we were generally poor yesterday and not at our best. But a win is a win and it was good to see AA change the side around and give O'neill and Maguire a run out. I know Charman got injured in the warm up so Maguire came in. I thought Ty didn't have the best of games, but believe that if we play a simple 4-4-2 we will start to get the best out of him. Though Maguire looked sharp and dangerous every time he got the ball. He started the season slow after coming back from injury, but yesterday he showed his class with a couple of fine pieces of play.

Thought we got a bit overrun in midfield but that may be down to the fact that they played an extra man in midfield and ironically Dom McHale who ran us ragged all afternoon missed his penalty. From yesterday's showing he should be playing a few leagues above, best player on the pitch all day long.

I thought Sousa didn't get into the game yesterday and when Campbell and Holness were brought on we looked stronger. I would like to see Holness given a few games as he always drives us forward and that is what we are missing at the moment.

Finally I have to say I thought Minter was superb, he made a few brilliant saves in the first half and the crucial penalty save in the second. He was my MOTM and hopefully we can extend his loan. He commanded his box well, looked composed and some of his penalty saves were superb.
Just out of interest, you've stated you want Holness to play, but also play 4-4-2. Does that mean that you would drop Hatfield or Wheatley?

Old Git
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:42 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm
Quakerrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:53 am
Thought we were generally poor yesterday and not at our best. But a win is a win and it was good to see AA change the side around and give O'neill and Maguire a run out. I know Charman got injured in the warm up so Maguire came in. I thought Ty didn't have the best of games, but believe that if we play a simple 4-4-2 we will start to get the best out of him. Though Maguire looked sharp and dangerous every time he got the ball. He started the season slow after coming back from injury, but yesterday he showed his class with a couple of fine pieces of play.

Thought we got a bit overrun in midfield but that may be down to the fact that they played an extra man in midfield and ironically Dom McHale who ran us ragged all afternoon missed his penalty. From yesterday's showing he should be playing a few leagues above, best player on the pitch all day long.

I thought Sousa didn't get into the game yesterday and when Campbell and Holness were brought on we looked stronger. I would like to see Holness given a few games as he always drives us forward and that is what we are missing at the moment.

Finally I have to say I thought Minter was superb, he made a few brilliant saves in the first half and the crucial penalty save in the second. He was my MOTM and hopefully we can extend his loan. He commanded his box well, looked composed and some of his penalty saves were superb.
Just out of interest, you've stated you want Holness to play, but also play 4-4-2. Does that mean that you would drop Hatfield or Wheatley?
And there in lies the problem.
My team would be.
...................Minter...............
McMahon. Hunt. Laing. Liddle
Wheatley. Hatfield. Holness
Sousa. Charman. Campbell. Rivers

I think it was England Manager Mike Bassett who wanted to play a similar formation. Keep it quiet but if we can get away with it we might be able to do well this season.

JE93
Posts: 1471
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by JE93 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:38 pm

I can see the will to want to play 4-4-2 as it allows us another CF on the pitch, but the problem with that is, in games where we don't control the ball, the pitch at Blackwell Meadows is big, it give opposition plenty of space to run into in transition. Which puts us on the back foot as we don't have pace at the back to defend against people running in behind us.

For me 4-3-3 (below) is the strongest team we can field atm.

------------------------ Minter ----------------------
McMahon --- Hunt - Storey ----- Liddle
----- Hatfield - Wheatley - Holness ----
Sousa ---------- Charman ----- Campbell

Minter - Not particularly against Saltmer. But Minter has just put in the first memorable Goalkeeping performance of the season for us and so takes first spot. His height is a plus and the distance on his kicking is certainly a help.

McMahon - Plenty of experience, a good voice to have in the side and great delivery from outwide. I don't mind Hedley at fullback and I think 1v1 he's a good rb, but McMahon is more positionally aware in defence and attack and brings more to the table.

Hunt - He reads the game very well, we know he doesn't have the pace and we need to work with that and give him a partner who will cover him in behind, but I still think he's been a good signing and is crucial to us doing well.

Storey - For me he's a better defender than Laing, doesn't offer as much on the ball but Hunt can bring that, I certainly think he's better on the cover which we need to cover Hunt's lack of pace. He's young and learning, should be in the team when fit in my opinion.

Liddle - Maybe needs to check the attacking side of his game a little to make sure we don't get exposed down the flank. But certainly a good player and better on the ball than Watson. Rarely ever falls below a 6 out of 10.

Hatfield - Had his best game of the season so far on Saturday. We all know what he's capable of a proper captain fantastic and without doubt should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Wheatley - With 3 in midfield we need Wheatley to sit back and shield the back four. Show off what he learnt playing next to Phil Turnbull (but maybe with a bit more bite in the tackles). Win the ball back and keep the game ticking over.

Holness - Plenty of energy and graft in his play, positionally I don't think he's great (which is why i dont like him in a 2 man midfield) but that probably works in his favour some times, as he pops up in dangerous areas having maybe not retreated fully into a defensive position. He has certainly scored some good goals for us and we need him to be that midfielder making late runs into the box and giving us a goal threat, like Syers used to (God I miss Dave Syers, think he'd love playing in this side and formation)

Sousa - Probably been our form player since he's come in. Direct and certainly has the skills to get defenders on the back foot.

Campbell - In my opinion the best technical player at the club. Rarely wastes possession and makes good decisions. Could use him taking 1 in 4 or 5 chances rather than 1 in 8 or 9 but he's been a great signing and offers a lot to the side in terms of assists. If he's played slightly wider his assist return then becomes as important as his goal return.

Charman - best CF at the club, better than O'Neill in my opinion as he has more to his all round game, which is really important if we're playing with one out and out striker. Has the strength to play with his back to goal, but also has the pace to run in behind and run the channels. Not happened for him in the league yet but can only be a matter of time the lad has so much quality.

Harsh on Rivers to miss out as I think as a team player he offers a lot. Similarly Maguire based on his performance vs Telford has lots to offer and would be a good option against teams to try and do something different maybe even against tiring CB's.

quakerste
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by quakerste » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:31 am

JE93 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:38 pm
I can see the will to want to play 4-4-2 as it allows us another CF on the pitch, but the problem with that is, in games where we don't control the ball, the pitch at Blackwell Meadows is big, it give opposition plenty of space to run into in transition. Which puts us on the back foot as we don't have pace at the back to defend against people running in behind us.

For me 4-3-3 (below) is the strongest team we can field atm.

------------------------ Minter ----------------------
McMahon --- Hunt - Storey ----- Liddle
----- Hatfield - Wheatley - Holness ----
Sousa ---------- Charman ----- Campbell

Minter - Not particularly against Saltmer. But Minter has just put in the first memorable Goalkeeping performance of the season for us and so takes first spot. His height is a plus and the distance on his kicking is certainly a help.

McMahon - Plenty of experience, a good voice to have in the side and great delivery from outwide. I don't mind Hedley at fullback and I think 1v1 he's a good rb, but McMahon is more positionally aware in defence and attack and brings more to the table.

Hunt - He reads the game very well, we know he doesn't have the pace and we need to work with that and give him a partner who will cover him in behind, but I still think he's been a good signing and is crucial to us doing well.

Storey - For me he's a better defender than Laing, doesn't offer as much on the ball but Hunt can bring that, I certainly think he's better on the cover which we need to cover Hunt's lack of pace. He's young and learning, should be in the team when fit in my opinion.

Liddle - Maybe needs to check the attacking side of his game a little to make sure we don't get exposed down the flank. But certainly a good player and better on the ball than Watson. Rarely ever falls below a 6 out of 10.

Hatfield - Had his best game of the season so far on Saturday. We all know what he's capable of a proper captain fantastic and without doubt should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Wheatley - With 3 in midfield we need Wheatley to sit back and shield the back four. Show off what he learnt playing next to Phil Turnbull (but maybe with a bit more bite in the tackles). Win the ball back and keep the game ticking over.

Holness - Plenty of energy and graft in his play, positionally I don't think he's great (which is why i dont like him in a 2 man midfield) but that probably works in his favour some times, as he pops up in dangerous areas having maybe not retreated fully into a defensive position. He has certainly scored some good goals for us and we need him to be that midfielder making late runs into the box and giving us a goal threat, like Syers used to (God I miss Dave Syers, think he'd love playing in this side and formation)

Sousa - Probably been our form player since he's come in. Direct and certainly has the skills to get defenders on the back foot.

Campbell - In my opinion the best technical player at the club. Rarely wastes possession and makes good decisions. Could use him taking 1 in 4 or 5 chances rather than 1 in 8 or 9 but he's been a great signing and offers a lot to the side in terms of assists. If he's played slightly wider his assist return then becomes as important as his goal return.

Charman - best CF at the club, better than O'Neill in my opinion as he has more to his all round game, which is really important if we're playing with one out and out striker. Has the strength to play with his back to goal, but also has the pace to run in behind and run the channels. Not happened for him in the league yet but can only be a matter of time the lad has so much quality.

Harsh on Rivers to miss out as I think as a team player he offers a lot. Similarly Maguire based on his performance vs Telford has lots to offer and would be a good option against teams to try and do something different maybe even against tiring CB's.
Spot on. This eleven for me with plenty of scope to rotate players if and when required.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5350
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:00 am

Old Git wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm
Quakerrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:53 am
Thought we were generally poor yesterday and not at our best. But a win is a win and it was good to see AA change the side around and give O'neill and Maguire a run out. I know Charman got injured in the warm up so Maguire came in. I thought Ty didn't have the best of games, but believe that if we play a simple 4-4-2 we will start to get the best out of him. Though Maguire looked sharp and dangerous every time he got the ball. He started the season slow after coming back from injury, but yesterday he showed his class with a couple of fine pieces of play.

Thought we got a bit overrun in midfield but that may be down to the fact that they played an extra man in midfield and ironically Dom McHale who ran us ragged all afternoon missed his penalty. From yesterday's showing he should be playing a few leagues above, best player on the pitch all day long.

I thought Sousa didn't get into the game yesterday and when Campbell and Holness were brought on we looked stronger. I would like to see Holness given a few games as he always drives us forward and that is what we are missing at the moment.

Finally I have to say I thought Minter was superb, he made a few brilliant saves in the first half and the crucial penalty save in the second. He was my MOTM and hopefully we can extend his loan. He commanded his box well, looked composed and some of his penalty saves were superb.
Just out of interest, you've stated you want Holness to play, but also play 4-4-2. Does that mean that you would drop Hatfield or Wheatley?
And there in lies the problem.
My team would be.
...................Minter...............
McMahon. Hunt. Laing. Liddle
Wheatley. Hatfield. Holness
Sousa. Charman. Campbell. Rivers

I think it was England Manager Mike Bassett who wanted to play a similar formation. Keep it quiet but if we can get away with it we might be able to do well this season.
Alas, I suspect the league will see through your Baldrick-style cunning plan.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by D_F_C » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Old Git wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm
Quakerrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:53 am
Thought we were generally poor yesterday and not at our best. But a win is a win and it was good to see AA change the side around and give O'neill and Maguire a run out. I know Charman got injured in the warm up so Maguire came in. I thought Ty didn't have the best of games, but believe that if we play a simple 4-4-2 we will start to get the best out of him. Though Maguire looked sharp and dangerous every time he got the ball. He started the season slow after coming back from injury, but yesterday he showed his class with a couple of fine pieces of play.

Thought we got a bit overrun in midfield but that may be down to the fact that they played an extra man in midfield and ironically Dom McHale who ran us ragged all afternoon missed his penalty. From yesterday's showing he should be playing a few leagues above, best player on the pitch all day long.

I thought Sousa didn't get into the game yesterday and when Campbell and Holness were brought on we looked stronger. I would like to see Holness given a few games as he always drives us forward and that is what we are missing at the moment.

Finally I have to say I thought Minter was superb, he made a few brilliant saves in the first half and the crucial penalty save in the second. He was my MOTM and hopefully we can extend his loan. He commanded his box well, looked composed and some of his penalty saves were superb.
Just out of interest, you've stated you want Holness to play, but also play 4-4-2. Does that mean that you would drop Hatfield or Wheatley?
And there in lies the problem.
My team would be.
...................Minter...............
McMahon. Hunt. Laing. Liddle
Wheatley. Hatfield. Holness
Sousa. Charman. Campbell. Rivers

I think it was England Manager Mike Bassett who wanted to play a similar formation. Keep it quiet but if we can get away with it we might be able to do well this season.
Alas, I suspect the league will see through your Baldrick-style cunning plan.
Are you referring to the new 4-3-4 formation? That is a new one!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakerrunner
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v AFC Telford

Post by Quakerrunner » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:39 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm
Quakerrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:53 am
Thought we were generally poor yesterday and not at our best. But a win is a win and it was good to see AA change the side around and give O'neill and Maguire a run out. I know Charman got injured in the warm up so Maguire came in. I thought Ty didn't have the best of games, but believe that if we play a simple 4-4-2 we will start to get the best out of him. Though Maguire looked sharp and dangerous every time he got the ball. He started the season slow after coming back from injury, but yesterday he showed his class with a couple of fine pieces of play.

Thought we got a bit overrun in midfield but that may be down to the fact that they played an extra man in midfield and ironically Dom McHale who ran us ragged all afternoon missed his penalty. From yesterday's showing he should be playing a few leagues above, best player on the pitch all day long.

I thought Sousa didn't get into the game yesterday and when Campbell and Holness were brought on we looked stronger. I would like to see Holness given a few games as he always drives us forward and that is what we are missing at the moment.

Finally I have to say I thought Minter was superb, he made a few brilliant saves in the first half and the crucial penalty save in the second. He was my MOTM and hopefully we can extend his loan. He commanded his box well, looked composed and some of his penalty saves were superb.
Just out of interest, you've stated you want Holness to play, but also play 4-4-2. Does that mean that you would drop Hatfield or Wheatley?
No not at all, Hatfield and Wheatley would always be my first choice midfield duo with a 4-4-2 formation. If we are to accommodate Holness it would need to be a midfield 3, like we saw today. Or 4-4-1-1 (with Holness playing in front of Hatfield and Wheatley and behind the striker).

Post Reply