Brackley v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Posts: 5357
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Brackley v Darlo

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:13 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:40 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:46 pm
Quakerlad wrote:Instead of another forward surely we need a physical, big strong centre half and a proper creative midfielder. AA clearly has gone off Storey which is unjust to me but while I like Hunt he is not the big dominant, nasty type of centre half our successful teams have had in the past. I would have had Joe Tait in the summer, mistake there AA to me.
Realistically we have won 4/11 league games if you include Boston and haven’t beaten any team currently in top half of table. Not good enough I’m afraid.
Is there a reason you only ever comment after defeats or Blyth.

Whenever we win you stay silent, but after any defeat you’re immediately on here flapping.

It’s like you get off on us losing.

After Blyth, you stay silent. After one defeat at a good side who’ll probably be in the play-offs, apparently Hunt isn’t good enough and we should’ve gone for a Spenny reserve (who you’d have criticised anyway if we’d lost).

I’m all for people putting their two-penneth in after a defeat, don’t get me wrong. But at least have some balance in there fella. Crikey, your post-defeat flapping is spectacular.
Maybe it’s because like many on here I get really frustrated when I know how good we could be and yet don’t show it often enough. It’s basically letting off a bit of steam to like minded supporters and am sorry if you find that wrong.

Regarding last night, I think you will find most people agreed with my comments. I did not say that Hunt isn’t good enough. In fact I said “I like Hunt” but you cannot say that he is a big dominant centre half that I still feel we are missing.

All about opinions though and I respect yours.
It’s not wrong. You can post what you like. But I find it bizarre a so-called supporter says nothing when we win but fires off a ranting mini-essay slaughtering the team and manager every time we lose. It comes across that you enjoy it when we lose as it gives you something to whinge about.

With regards Hunt, I disagree. I do think his experience is what we were missing. And when it goes well, people say so.

It’s only when we lose that so-called fans like yourself start looking for scapegoats. Also, given he suffered a very serious injury not so long back, it feels a bit harsh to be singling him out and saying he’s not good enough (which is what you’re saying, if you believe he’s not what we need).

You also don’t have to respect my opinion as a matter of course. Respect my opinions if you think they’re well-reason and backed-up. Don’t respect it purely because I’ve said it.
I’m not even going to get into a disagreement with you over players or opinions etc. Except to say you must be a politician as you are changing my words. On record, I like Hunt and believe him to be a good player and an asset for sure. Do I think he is the big dominant centre half that most successful teams seem to have, then no. Play him alongside such a player and think he would be fantastic!

However, never ever call me a “so called supporter” . I have supported this club through thick and thin missing very few games over the last 54 years since my fist match, so feel fairly qualified to give an opinion.

Speak again I am sure after I comment on our next match, hopefully a win!
Sorry, I think you’re scapegoating. For some reason you’ve targeted Hunt. No one complains about him being the imposing centre half when we play well. And given he twice stopped breathing after the injury v Boston, your criticisms of him are unfair.

And while you say nothing about a 6-0 win but scapegoat players and write a mini-essay after every defeat, I will quite happily call you a so-called fan. If you choose to be so one-sided, you can’t complain when others come to that judgement.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2164
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:05 pm

Agree with Divas comments about lack of training. There's a lack of awareness of roles in the side in comparison with teams like Brackley (who may be hybrid) who are very well-drilled. Having a bigger squad as a part time club is a double-edged sword. We had a smaller squad last year who were also able to train more frequently and, despite the frequent calls from many quarters that we have more quality than last year, we don't appear to be as well drilled as we have to rotate more and players have less game time and don't have the training time they normally would due to circumstances, with the result that we are getting less out of the team than we may expect. Possibly this may get better later on in the season, but by then it would be too late to make the play-offs. I think we are partially if not massively a victim of circumstances. Had it been a normal season then I think we'd be much higher in the table. DJ has also been talking about exploring the hybrid model and it may be that this comes sooner rather than later if we are to get out of this league.

Old Git
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:44 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:05 pm
Agree with Divas comments about lack of training. There's a lack of awareness of roles in the side in comparison with teams like Brackley (who may be hybrid) who are very well-drilled. Having a bigger squad as a part time club is a double-edged sword. We had a smaller squad last year who were also able to train more frequently and, despite the frequent calls from many quarters that we have more quality than last year, we don't appear to be as well drilled as we have to rotate more and players have less game time and don't have the training time they normally would due to circumstances, with the result that we are getting less out of the team than we may expect. Possibly this may get better later on in the season, but by then it would be too late to make the play-offs. I think we are partially if not massively a victim of circumstances. Had it been a normal season then I think we'd be much higher in the table. DJ has also been talking about exploring the hybrid model and it may be that this comes sooner rather than later if we are to get out of this league.
Sounds like you are just looking for excuses to me. I admit it is easier for full time teams but we have to get on with it. Most of our squad were with us last season so a lack of awareness is a pretty thin excuse. Possibly we are just underperforming or not quite as good as we hoped.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2164
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:51 pm

The squad has been overhauled with many new players. Also, the benefits of being a full time club as opposed to a part time club are massively increased this season.

jjljks
Posts: 2104
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 am

My mate Donald says we did win and it is fake news that Brackley scored twice. He has been on the phone to the ref for over an hour explaining how VAR can be used to prove that.

joejaques
Posts: 2876
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by joejaques » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:10 am

Hope your mate doesn't send the usual suspects round to the ref's house. :roll:
Image

LoidLucan
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:58 pm

It's an interesting situation at Brackley and if you're going to rely on one man's money to punch way above your weight, then this is just about the safest and best way to do it. The multi-millionaire Allan Leighton has a company called Pleasure Media that is the holding company for the club and Leighton very quietly and consistently pumps cash into the playing squad to ensure they are one of the most consistently successful at this level. They never publish anything about playing budget, income, expenditure, losses etc. And Leighton just stays in the background and is hardly mentioned.

Crucially, Leighton (the former Royal Mail and Asda head honcho) once played for the club and went to school in Brackley so he has an emotional attachment and bankrolling them is chicken feed compared to his net worth of many millions. It means that they can employ some of the best players at this level (and keep them long-term) despite having crowds that can dip down to the 300 to 400 level.

However, I don't get the impression that at the moment Leighton has aspirations for full-time football or a rise to the Football League, like some backers. The ground itself would be a major sticking point as well as the fact that Brackley is a very small town of under 15,000 people. Leighton at the moment seems content to keep pumping cash into the playing squad to ensure they are always among the best in National North... and win the occasional FA Trophy along the way to fuel his interest.

lo36789
Posts: 9075
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm

It makes sense to be honest.

The costs to sustain at the division about are perhaps just more than he is prepared to donate to his local community. A division about we know would be a potential three fold cost demand.

Suspect he gets some enjoyment out of it, and will see it as a direct contribution to a community facilities and guess money in the pockets or real people.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11924
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:02 pm

They should have always just postponed last season and finished it off at leisure this season.

There's a genuine chance we'll end up with two half-finished seasons when they could've just completed one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789
Posts: 9075
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:54 am

Spyman wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:02 pm
They should have always just postponed last season and finished it off at leisure this season.

There's a genuine chance we'll end up with two half-finished seasons when they could've just completed one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
In hindsight I think so.

The number of games played in the past 12 months would only just about complete last season anyway.

It would have been a bit of a nightmare to co-ordinate mind especially when an outcome for the season was arrived at due to the PL playing to completion. Also how on earth would scheduling of fixtures been done - schedule in ASAP or spread them out...

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:46 pm
Quakerlad wrote:Instead of another forward surely we need a physical, big strong centre half and a proper creative midfielder. AA clearly has gone off Storey which is unjust to me but while I like Hunt he is not the big dominant, nasty type of centre half our successful teams have had in the past. I would have had Joe Tait in the summer, mistake there AA to me.
Realistically we have won 4/11 league games if you include Boston and haven’t beaten any team currently in top half of table. Not good enough I’m afraid.
Is there a reason you only ever comment after defeats or Blyth.

Whenever we win you stay silent, but after any defeat you’re immediately on here flapping.

It’s like you get off on us losing.

After Blyth, you stay silent. After one defeat at a good side who’ll probably be in the play-offs, apparently Hunt isn’t good enough and we should’ve gone for a Spenny reserve (who you’d have criticised anyway if we’d lost).

I’m all for people putting their two-penneth in after a defeat, don’t get me wrong. But at least have some balance in there fella. Crikey, your post-defeat flapping is spectacular.
Agreed, some of the flapping that goes on after every defeat, not just from Quakerlad, is ridiculous.

People saying we are mid table at best just because we lost to Brackley - Jesus, Brackley are always one of the top 3/4 sides in this league. A defeat was not an unexpected surprise.

We were 9th last season and have added quality to the team, I can't see how we won't be top 7 when it all shakes out.

We've only played 10 league matches FFS and have already faced quality teams such as Spendy, Brackley, Kidderminster, Fylde. We have a +7 goal difference, always a good sign for a team lower down the table as it almost always suggests a team better than their position, and those teams usually kick on. In our defeats, no one has battered us in the league. In our wins, we have battered 2 or 3 teams. Another good sign.

We've had ridiculous injuries forcing constant changes, and have also played (and won) a lot of cup matches, which doesn't help the league campaign either. Talking of the league campaign, 10 matches played and only 10 conceded - this makes a mockery of all the people who complain about how poor our defence is. And 17 scored is 1.7 goals per match, extrapolated over 42 matches is 71 goals. If we finish the season on F71 A42, you can bet your bottom dollar that we'll have enough points for top 7.
#Arenaherewecome

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:02 pm
They should have always just postponed last season and finished it off at leisure this season.

There's a genuine chance we'll end up with two half-finished seasons when they could've just completed one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I think, that with great difficulty, we will get this season completed.

We're in our 3rd lockdown, as long as cases don't continue to rise, and as the vaccine gets rolled out to more people, then I don't see any reason why the government would shut down elite sport.

Yes we will have postponements due to players catching covid, but if you look at the postponed Southport match on Saturday, that may have been postponed anyway if they have had as much snow as us.

I'm 95% confident we'll get finished, though whether we get to play in front of actual crowds by the end of May is another matter.

My optimistic prediction - season completed on time, fans back in grounds mid April.
#Arenaherewecome

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:17 pm

It's been quite frosty over here this week but milder today and the Southport relatives say it's snowing a bit but not sticking.

Emdubya
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:53 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:17 pm
It's been quite frosty over here this week but milder today and the Southport relatives say it's snowing a bit but not sticking.
Eh!!. You’ve obviously missed the postponement of this game announced on Wednesday because of the bug.

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley v Darlo

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:58 pm

I obviously hadn't or if have polished my stepladder. I was responding to "it may have been postponed a nyway" due to weather.

Post Reply